[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/news/ - Current News

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1724808934173627.jpg (218 KB, 1128x1077)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
https://www.axios.com/2024/09/01/workers-retire-career-gen-z-millennial

Increasing numbers of older Americans are putting off retirement, creating career ladder gridlock that is impacting younger workers.

Why it matters: As older workers stay in their jobs longer, their Gen Z and Millennial colleagues are often locked into lower-paying, junior-level roles.

State of play: The share of U.S. adults aged 65 and older in the labor market has steadily increased since the late 1980s.

A 2023 retirement confidence survey from the Employee Benefit Research Institute (EBRI) found that 33% of workers planned to retire at age 70 or older, or never. That's up from EBRI's 2021 survey, in which 26% of workers said the same thing.
Declining social security benefits and fewer jobs offering pension plans have contributed to a landscape in which most Americans aren't financially on track for retirement.
People generally are living longer and staying healthier as they age. Both play a role in how older workers remain on the job.

The big picture: This has contributed to a "tricky situation" on the career ladder "because there are only so many jobs to go around, especially at the higher levels," Colleen Paulson, a career consultant, told Axios.
>>
What they're saying: "If you're not moving up in the corporate ladder because there's no space for you to move, then your earning potential is actually stalled," Jasmine Escalera, a career expert, told Axios.

This can cause workers stress and anxiety but also fuel job hopping, she said.
"We may end up seeing a ripple effect where younger generations have a hard time increasing their earning potential, which could potentially also impact their ability to retire at a certain age as well," Escalera said.

Between the lines: Career ladder gridlock works hand-in-hand with a slowing job market and high interest rates to create a difficult environment for younger workers who want to achieve traditional life milestones, according to Paulson.

"I can see how people would delay having kids or delay buying a house because they're not sure if their financial situation can support that, she said.

Reality check: The majority of older workers aren't staying on the job longer, Gary Officer, CEO of the Center for Workforce Inclusion, told Axios.

A Pew Research Center survey published in December found that 19% of Americans aged 65 and older were employed in 2023. While that's roughly double the share from 35 years ago, it also means that the vast majority aren't employed full-time.
"Most of the in-demand occupations in this country [require] a higher level of technological proficiency that skews overwhelmingly towards younger people," Officer noted.
>>
>>1337546
this is already a thing in europe, spain has one of the highest % of old people and they just so happen to have highest youth unemployment in europe
>>
56 year old here and there will be no retirement for me. Lost most of my 401K in the 2008 House Bubble, I've never had a job that provides a pension and Social Security will be most likely be bankrupt before I can collect.
>>
>>1337635
Give your job up to a 25 year old who won't make as much to help the company.
>>
>>1337638
it's not one party or the other. its the wealthy vs everyone else.
>>
>>1337546
misread 'gridlock' as something else
>>
>>1337635
37 here, I’m banking on social security being there.
>>
>>1337679
>>1337667
>>1337635
34 here. Two rentals, a fat retirement, and all of it I worked for, was homeless until about the age of 21. I'm not too worried (yet)
>>
>>1337638
Except it's the Republicans who fucked up retirements.
Man if only the rich were taxed their fair share instead of robbing everyone.
>>
29 here, collecting gibsmedat and will never have to work a day in his life. Get fucked.
>>
Let’s be honest, GenZ and millennials are shit employees by every metric.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.