[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Airstream is the only attractive RV brand. This is not a debate.
>>
File: this is horseshit.jpg (10 KB, 303x166)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Coffee swirl looking shitwipes need not apply. They will never be as magnificent as an Airstream.
>>
>>27587049
One AC unit? Enjoy your sauna.
>>
My cousin had one and a small tree branch left a huge dent.
>>
>>27587049
Do they make a mini camper?
>>
File: rby9p6nzytzeciq9a2en.jpg (1.15 MB, 2000x1500)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
>>27587256
Indeed! The Airstream Bambi's got you covered!
>>
>>27587256
Or if you want to go even smaller, there's the Basecamp.
>>
>>27587256

The Basecamp 16 is their smallest, cheapest travel trailer. It still starts at $50k. And speaking as someone who was a tech at an Airstream dealership, it's absolutely not worth it.
>>
>>27587062
kek this, they are a nightmare to maintain and hail storms obliterate them because of how the outer skin is now attached using adhesives instead of old fashioned riveting

even the old riveted ones are insanely hard to repair and very expensive, plus the overall quality of these things isn't that great. there's almost no RVs out there under $100k that are of any worth, aside from maybe Olivers, Casitas, and Escapes. these are all fibreglass shell designs that retain their value.
>>
>>27587049
Fagshit/10
>>
>>27587271
AIrstreams are like the ultimate boomer trophy; shiny and expensive, the perfect way to blow your childrens' inheritance and rub it in their faces.
>>
>>27587274

Nah, it's still attached with rivets like always. But it does get dented and scratched extremely easily and the finish also comes off very easily with anything even mildly abrasive.

It's also a pain to do body work on them because many areas have several panels overlapping one another. So even though only one panel may be damaged, multiple other panels also need to be removed to replace the damaged panel.
>>
File: 1948SpartanManor01.jpg (71 KB, 700x374)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>27587049
>He's never hear of a Spartan
NGMI
>>
File: file.png (1.75 MB, 1500x844)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB PNG
"lol," said the 455. "lmao"
>>
>>27587261
Looks comfy, but I don't know about 60 grand comfy.
>>
File: file.png (101 KB, 474x266)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
I'd love to get one but for how much they cost you can get both a great tow rig and a good trailer for the same cost.
>>
>>27587274
>fibreglass shell
Have fun with delamination.
>>
When I was a kid we had one that had belonged to the gandparents before they were cool or expensive so we sold it.
>>
>>27587049
Van Leigh Beacons were gorgeous inside and out, too bad they stopped making them because Tiffin didn't want to make 5th wheels anymore.
>>
>>27587049
My favorite RV is a hotel, if you're not gonna camp then just go for a place with a real bed and real bathroom
>>
>>27587553
>Why sleep in your own bed when you can cozy up to a community flatulence pad
>>
What do anons think would be the smallest size/weight/length for a motohauler one could live in for months at a time? Assume I have an occupation where I work a few months or half a year on, then a few months off. Storage during working is a non issue. I think 10-12 feet would be dedicated "garage" space in the back, the problem is that most so called toy haulers expect the toys to be unloaded to have any bed/living space. Trying to work around that. HUGE ones have a master bedroom at the front but I don't want to buy an F350 just to tow that mess. Another thought would be a slide out camper on a bigger truck like that, and then just a simple "mobile base" enclosed trailer with tools in it, but I feel like slideouts have too small of fresh/grey/black water tanks and wouldn't be acceptable at RV parks.
>>27587348
This thing is fascinating from an engineering standpoint. FWD, doubled up rear wheels for better ride(?), I think it's also the only motorhome actually built entirely by an auto manufacturer?
>>
>>27587553
Have you seen the beds and bathrooms in some of these trailers? They're nicer than most 5 star hotels and have a lot less DNA. Also which hotels let you get drunk and fire guns?

>>27587604
There are lots of "smaller" half ton towable you haulers with plenty of living space even with the garage occupied. The shortest I would go is something like a 24' but even that would be tight depending on how much shit you got. Anything longer than that and you're definitely getting into 3/4 ton territory.

Slide in campers get extremely heavy and extremely expensive and even the biggest ones you can get wouldn't really be a long term living solution.

Most snowmobilers here just take empty enclosed vehicle trailers and make a basic living area in the front. If you don't need a bunch of fancy shit to live this is a more budget option depending on where you plan on staying.
>>
>>27587634
24' would be living pretty good, and about what I was thinking. Ideally even smaller with a 5th wheel elevated bed, but I'm a niche customer. Shitter, shower, kitchenette and bed is good enough. Ideally I'd build in more of a divider to keep garage fluids/odors and grease out of the living space.
>>
>>27587049
We had an Airstream at one of our lake properties and the drain in the bathtub made a noise that scared the shit out of me. I like the aesthetics of the Airstream, but they'll always be my nemesis.
>>
>>27587049
No love for Scamp trailers? They have a similar retro cool aesthetic and are much cheaper for similar trailers.
>>
rather buy a bruder for the money.
go anywhere, all seasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAZfmRjkXXU

unfortunately i'm poor, so we've got a jayco crosstrak. 5000 mile trip coming up too.
>>
File: IMG_1948.jpg (114 KB, 640x462)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
I always wanted one of those Renault campers as a kid
>>
>>27587049
what would be a decent small light recommendation for a saloon to tow these days? Everything seems to have gotten bloated with even relatively small campers being excessively heavy and insanely costly. fiberglass egg styles have more than doubled in the last 10 years.

My transmission is rated at 3500kg towing and used in GU patrols, but I am limited to a 1600kg trailer based on the available draw bars, and I do have a brake controller. North America if it matters for availability. I do not need crazy off road action or anything. Just a place to sleep and maybe having an outside shower would be nice.
>>
>>27587582
>why sleep in a bed when you could sleep in the back of a van?
Retarded take
>>
>>27587348
so cool. a guy down the street has one and it looks like hes gutting it and restoring the interior. i keep waiting to see him out with it so i can obnoxiously ask him to look at it like a 5 year old lol

>>27587604
there are a few documentaries about it on youtube, it was purpose designed from the ground up by gm and some consider it to be the 'perfect rv'
>>
>>27588123
you probably want a "popup camper"
>>
>>27588123

>>27588073
These they're meant to be towed by normal cars and are comparable to a pop up in weight.
>>
>>27588231
>spending 8 hrs each day basking in trace amounts of community fecal matter, semen, blood, urine, skin cells and sweat is better than sleeping in your own bed

Retardant indeed
>>
>>27588894
do you pinch your own nipples when you get fucked in the ass?
>>
>>27588894
>I can only afford hotels where they don't clean the room at all!
Not my problem that you're poor
>>
File: IMG_1957.jpg (1.06 MB, 1125x1382)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>27588894
It's ok I'm triple vaxxed and have a functioning immune system
>>
>>27587348
Was this what they used in "Strange Wilderness"?
>>
>>27587348
Or was it "Stripes"?
>>
>>27587271
I get there's a low sale volume at work, but how the fuck is that thing $50k?
>>
>spend 100k to LARP as a homeless person
Funny hobby
>>
>>27590411
>all the trappings and necessities of a home
>"homeless"
mortgage jew detected
>>
File: CAP_5540.2-2.jpg (2.96 MB, 2901x2293)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB JPG
>>27587049
checkmate
>>
>>27590479
>checkmate
>costs as much as an actual house
>>
>>27588088
I've never thought of these as campers. Whenever I saw one, it was always driven by some brown little human carrying dead goats, precious metals, etc.
>>
>>27588435
sweet, these things look pretty nice and a 16 footer would even have the shower inside which might be nice. Pretty cheap used as well. I did not know this company still existed, and assumed the ones I saw on the road were from the 70's
>>
None of this matters unless you put the money up faggot.
>>
>>27590479
>RIP chassis rails
>>
>>27587271
I've read that even Airstream got hit with the Covid quality build issues of 2020+ and have not recovered. Is that accurate?
>>
>>27590653
I hope people keep buying them. The construction is genius, albeit not very winter friendly.
>>
>>27590653
my dad keeps talking about getting a 13 foot to put out on our property but we need to get an access road or culvert put in.

I've been seeing more scamps lately I wonder if they're having a bit of a resurgence.
>>
>>27587057
Are you retarded?

Do you not understand the concept that being an RVer means chasing 70?
>>
Who even has the money to buy a camper/RV anymore? All the boomer retirees who want to "tour the country" already bought their Wannabango twenty years ago. I can't remember the last time I saw an honest to god camper trailer.

I've always wanted an old VW camper bus, but they're worth more than a motorcoach nowadays
>>
File: camping.jpg (310 KB, 1280x720)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
>>27592226
>Who even has the money to buy a camper/RV anymore?
Every young-ish trade worker or oilfield worker I know has one. Lots of families own them too. Have you never been to a campground?
>>
>>27592233
>oilfielders and high level tradies
So.. Around 2% of the population
>>
>>27590653
>>27588073
>>27587604
Starting to think 16' Scamp + Motohauler van is the combo, unless the gooseneck Scamp is really THAT superior. Closest thing I can think of to enclosed, lockable storage for the bike and tools + hauling it around.
>>
>>27592309
More like half if you live in a oil city. Lots of office workers own them too. It's not that hard for a couple pulling in $70k a piece to afford nice things like a trailer.
>>
>>27592311
I don't have experience with the scamps but imo the gooseneck totally kills a huge part of the scamp trailer - the looks. The whole rounded soap bar thing is kinda one of the big draws IMO. 13 or 16 footer all the way.

Man I want one so bad.
>>
>>27593496
If the gooseneck had an actual sleeping area, which I thought it did at first, then it would be cool, but I didn't see that option when looking at layouts. In which case, into the trash it goes.
>>
File: gmc motorhome.jpg (486 KB, 810x1080)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>27587348
GMC motorhomes are dangerously based. Ultra low to the ground with a flat floor due to the FWD layout which lowers the COG, full fiberglass shell which means a roof that never leaks and the damn thing feels like you're piloting an aircraft with the rounded nose and windshield. I'm currently fixing one up as a long term project (it runs, at least)
>>
File: spartan.jpg (57 KB, 600x450)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>27587320
patrician taste
the rounded layout ones are sweet (picrel)

>>27594198
nice

>>27587274
>riveting is hard
skill issue - use 'cleco' fasteners to hold the panel in place
replaced a door with a solid panel on my old aistream'ish trailer today - took <1hr
>>
File: IMG_6197.jpg (2.18 MB, 3097x2273)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
For me, it’s a burro
>>
I wish there was an Airstream teardrop sized camper. I basically want a shiny bean
>>
>>27595637
That must be one of the mid 50's model Mansions. Never seen the interior of one, but that's sweet. Those things are more trailer park housing than campers, tho.
>>
>>27595645
I burrod my dick in ur mum lelelel
>>
>>27588894
theres shit blood and cum in your ass and that never stopped you before.
>>
my dream life is to get a decently reliable 4x4 ccsb full size truck, maybe a 6.2 or 7.3 gas F350 if the budget allows it, maybe a 3rd gen 5.9 or something, maybe even an hd chevy 6.0

get a 70's travel trailer either in good shape or restore it, maybe strap an old 125 dirt bike on it, then park that shit on a piece of land out in the southwest somewhere and get high and drunk all day long, maybe have mushrooms and poppies growing if able.

I would also get some kind of ratted out late 60's-early 70's muscle car and park that shit up at the compound and rip around the dirt roads in it at sunset once i am sufficiently drunk. Could even do this on government land before getting a plot of my own

that would get old of course but working on the rigs would always give something to do, then go commit robberies or work at some highway diner

maybe get a worn out aryan whore to keep around like the guy in vanishing point

ah to dream
>>
>>
some examples of the general condition i am going for
>>
File: rv.jpg (149 KB, 1200x899)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
and this is the desired vibe of the habitation
>>
except with like mesas and canyons
>>
oh the truck is to move the trailer and have something reliable to get around in after you drop the trailer but still has the balls to move it

i think getting a driving RV is a mistake, that shit is gonna break down even when you dump money into it

but i would get one as a display item on a permanent property lift it on 10 foot stilts with a rope ladder and swap the 440 into the beater
>>
>>27596554
You an injun?
>>
>>27588264
>smol when towing
>stronk at camp
It's nice being able to see over the trailer in the rear view mirror when travelling.
>>
>>27595645
Is that your trailer and did you pull it with your bike?
>>
File: IMG_8348.jpg (3.79 MB, 4032x3024)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
>>27596585
kek maybe an injun at heart

i drove through the res all in northeast arizona and around there not too long ago

goddamn those squaws are living on million dollar view plots of land and they live worse than the dirtiest pajeet street shitters, or I guess about how I'm describing which is a single wide at best and some fucked up 90's gm product
>>
>>27587274
Airstreams maintain value very well desu and they look 100x better than the flat ugly brown boxes. The cheap ones lose value like a boat. It’s insane.

Airstream is really the best choice, except maybe Newmar but that’s a $250k plus and it has an engine in it
>>
File: vanlife workout.webm (2.1 MB, 640x800)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB WEBM
based
>>
File: BG_U_MogHome_1[1].jpg (369 KB, 1180x590)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
uniMOGGED
>>
>>27598665
Spare wheel placement is retarded
>>
>>27598647
Why's he wearing tights? Is he gonna perform ballet at the campground?
>>
Lost my virginity (all six times) in an Airstream with a kinky girl. I get a chub every time I pass one on the highway these days.
Do they still make them like they used to or are they made in China these days?
>>
I used to go out with a girl who’s dad was head of quality control for Airstream. She was really nice. I was living on a farm in Ohio at the time, and that’s where the plant is. Her dad has been inside virtually every trailer off the line for the last ten years. She was really nice and cute. :)
>>
>>27598803
Made in Ohio. Used to date head of quality control’s daughter.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.