[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1704230586779826.png (444 KB, 797x563)
444 KB
444 KB PNG
do you find the idea of driving slow cars fast more enjoyable than driving fast cars slow true?
>>
Yes.
The one time in my life I had access to 400 hp in a car I didn't go over 60mph and while it could get up to speed quickly it was boring because of how quickly it was "over" relative to the same 0-60 launch that less quick but feels more violent and loud and rowing through the gears in some underpowered shitbox.
>>
this entire premise was always retarded because of course it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. but those aren't the only 2 options. you can drive a fast car fast too. it's more fun to drive a fast car as fast as you would drive the slow car. and it's more fun to drive it even faster.
>>
File: IMG_1306.jpg (2.05 MB, 3500x2625)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
Nope. on my trip to Texas to see the eclipse in my shitbox i would've had way more fun in a faster car or at least not struggling to keep up with speeding traffic around me. i'm not a pussy, either. i have no problem going over the speed limit. i got up to 90, and would've went faster if i had a faster car. tons of other people were going just as fast as i was. having tons of power on tap and being able to quickly pick up speed is way more fun than taking nearly 10 seconds just to get to fucking 60. >>27589897 makes a good point, too.
>>
>>27589906
exactly this
i thought hooning around in my 160 hp hatchback econobox was fun until i bought an actual sports car and realized what actually going fast feels like
shit's intoxicating man
>>
>>27589897
It's difficult to drive a fast car fast outside of a racetrack because you have to deal with things coming at you twice as fast and if you make a mistake you will die or lose your license, probably both. Your grip is also way higher so you have to really drive hard to break traction.

>>27589883
My project car has 480whp/3200lbs and AWD with short gearing. I run it at 420whp and it's still stupid fast for most situations. The happy medium is 3-500hp for most cars or 10lbs for every horsepower. You're not even using half the throttle most of the time to come out of most corners when you have a fast car. The additional horsepower isn't fun if you can't exploit it..it just feels like you're holding onto a angry pitbull by the leash.
>>
>>27589986
if you can't do a rolling burnout on performance tires then you don't have enough hp, simple as
>>
>>27589994
That's just a drag car and it's boring if you're not flooring it everywhere you go. Even that loses its novelty when you get used to the power and you end up wanting more until you find yourself maxing out a liter bike on a highway.
>>
I've had plenty of fun in a 100 HP civic, and I could keep up with and lose faster cars in corner fairly well because it was so light and I was very confident in cornering.
>>
>>27590001
my previous statement applies to track cars too. if you can't do that then you could just put racing slicks on your car and never brake for turns again
>>
>>27589897
Bingo
>b-b-but with a slow car I can really REV out the engine and I won't be breaking the law!
Um congratulations? What exactly does that accomplish though?
>>
>>27589906
I hope you will find your fast car one day anon :D
Still trying to get mine
>>
>>27590008
Thats not how it actually works anon you're going to wreck and look retarded

>>27590012
I dunno, not crashing. That's expensive and hurts sometimes.
>>
>>27590024
you say that as if your uglyslowgaymobile could reach optimal cornering speeds in the first place
>>
>>27590034
youve never actually taken a corner fast, what would you know
>>
>>27590024
>I dunno, not crashing.
Wasn't Paul Walker only going something like 50 mph when he wrapped a tree and burst into flames?
>>
>>27590042
i've gotten 1.15 g at 50 mph in a gt4
>>
>>27590043
the impact was 50mph but he was going well over 100mph right before

most people shed speed before moment of impact and its a lot harder to recover on a suburban street from wheelspin when you're going 100+ moral is don't do stupid shit on dry rotted tires

>>27590051

cool, ive ran down gt4s
>>
>>27590057
i've run down gt4s on foot goml
>>
>>27589866
In mountain twisties feeling the G's - yes.
Literally everywhere else when soccer moms take you out to Gapplebee's - no.
>>
>>27590012
There is almost no other experience like renting a Fail 500 and ringing that out. Car is shaking from anger as it climbs whopping .5mph per minute and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>27589866
i find the idea of driving the car i like at whatever speed best
>>
>>27589866
The fastest version of a car is usually the most enjoyable to drive, so it's not true.

What really matters is the responsiveness of the car, and that means the lower the weight the better because there´s less inertia to overcome and there´s less insulation from the road or the engine. Electric power steering still robs steering feel compared to hydraulic or manual steering, electric throttles artificially smooth out an engines torque curve and response, stiff suspensions take away the ability for a driver to manage the weight transfer of a car, electronic assists prevent the driver from making mistakes, etc.

In short, over time cars have been engineered to require less and less interaction to drive, so they are necessarily less engaging. Going 250km/h in a self driving car is no where near as entertaining as going 25 km/h in a pre war car that needs skill to keep going straight as it bounces in the bumps.
>>
>>27590043
Don't neglect the wheels and it won't happen
>Ayy bruh you fell for the rubber age scam
K then, wrap yourself around a tree
>>
>>27589866
Yes.
I want to exceed the limit of grip in a car, it's what I enjoy. It is far easier and safer to do this in a slow car, and it will sting my bank account far less if I make a mistake.

Driving around some gigafast machine at well below its limit is just lame if you ask me.
>>
>>27589906
>his idea of "fun driving" is speeding in traffic
Well it's little wonder a zero skill pleb like you can only have fun in something fast.
>>
File: IMG_20240310_172128.jpg (2.6 MB, 4608x2072)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
I also enjoy driving slow cars slow
>>
>>27590012
more vroom = more dopamine
simple as

and yeah, more speed = more dopamine, but it's hard to go fast if you don't have a track nearby and the only thing available are busy public roads
>>
>>27590012
I never understood this, having a shitbox that makes sub-200hp that will break every speed limit if I so much as shift out of second. there's no "wringing it out" and "rowing through gears". are the mystical shitheaps being referenced just abysmally slow?
>>
>>27590012
Why did you word that last part like a woman from twitter lol nobody says "um" like that
>>
>>27589866
racing game autist here
my heirarchy of enjoyment is as follows:
>pre-95 sports cars
>pre-95 "normal" cars
>pre-95 supercars
>modern normal cars
>modern sports cars
>race spec cars
>absurd production cars
>modern supercars

I'd way prefer driving an old Celica GTFour to a LaFerrari or Senna, it just feels more visceral
There are some exceptions though, 2000s ish Lotuses and TVRs are great. Basically lightweight spartan sports cars.
Much more fun to drive a nimble car than a fast one.
>>
>>27590753
Sims have made me desire old RWD shitboxes with live rear axles.
>>
>>27590712
Yeah, it's about traditional sports cars like the small english roadsters mate. Or the Honda S600.
>>
>>27590530
/thread
>>
for me it's less slow car vs fast car as it is sovl vs no sovl. kind of comes down to a car by car basis. ie, a 2024 slow toyota corolla vs a "fast" 1990s car? i'll take the 90s car because you can just feel things more. a 2024 911 turbo s vs a 1980s 3-series or honda or whatever? probably the 80s car because, again, it just has more character which is what makes it fun more than a 0-60 or quarter mile number.

(basically yeah, older cars will typically win out in this battle because even slow modern cars are numb, boring and ugly)
>>
>>27590939
if you're talking about daily driving then your point makes sense
pushing a gtr nismo on the track until it spins out is more fun than anything you described though
>>
>>27590957
yeah but on the track where you'll spend a day once every few months

something like a 350-400whp r32 gtr is a lot more accessible on the street in comparison...hell even a 2.4 brz that has the power/weight of a fully modded s2k bone stock where you can stretch the gears and it feels fast
>>
>>27591056
agreed, that's why actual car enthusiats have multiple cars for different purposes
>>
Being in 1st or 2nd gear and never shifting is lame.
Being in 5th gear and turning corners into straights is also lame.

It all depends on where you're driving.
>>
File: 1682601577005209.jpg (407 KB, 1080x1046)
407 KB
407 KB JPG
I every-day traffic situations?
Absolutely yes.
But for it to be really true the car needs to be sorta small. If the car is small and light driving it will seem way way faster by default compared to a much bigger car.
You're able to have tons of fun going around corners while still being inside the speed limits.
>>
This only works on curvy roads.
If you are a Burger with nothing but hundreds of miles of straight lanes in front of you then driving would be pure misery especially with a slow shitbox
>>
>>27590727
You are terminally online, get help.
>>
>>27589866
Why yes, I like driving trucks on off road tires with big sidewalls (70% at least) at the very limit of speed I won't get a fine for. I like to take bends and turns without slowing down even a bit, I love to hear the tires screeching and feel the rear end a bit loose. The only problem I have is that it means using parts of the said sidewall as a traction surface. Everything else is cool. A/T tires, especially LT-rated, don't hydroplane that much in deeper puddles, the suspension won't bottom out even over the largest speed bumps, and trucks for some reason make some people seethe uncontrollably which is a nice bonus.

Cars can never compare.
>muh refined steering
and
>low CoG
are complete memes if we're talking public roads where the limits are set for shitboxes with retards inside.
>>
>small and light
is also a false meme btwdesu.
Driving a landbarge or an older truck at the same speeds around the same corners is way more fun because it's a bit more challenging.
>>
>my trugg is slow, bad at cornering, and incredibly heavy
>therefore it's a fun street car
bad bait
>>
>>27591656
I mean yeah that's what fun is. My work truck is a F350 on a airfield and it's fun sometimes to throw the 7000lb fuckers around. The F150 single cabs with the 3.7s feel like Miatas in comparison.

I actually get it. The feedback can be scary though, trucks have awful steering feel and soft mushy brakes.
>>
>>27591656
I mean, there even are racing series based entirely on that, like Stadium Super Trucks
It's entertaining
>>
>buy fast car that's good at cornering and is also smol and light
>cornering is now piss easy
>hitting the speed limit is instantaneous
>fits into the smallest openings
>no challenge at all
>wonder where all the fun went
>>
>>27591721
>buy car that's meant for aggressive driving
>get bored because you drive it like an npc
you did it to yourself anon
>>
>>27589866
Depends entirely on the slow car. An MX-5 or a small hot hatch (Clio RS, Fiesta ST etc) will be more fun than a lot of much faster cars, but a 1.6 TDI Audi A3 is just going to be fucking boring regardless.
>>
>>27591765
>buy car not meant for aggressive driving
>drive aggressively
>even more fun
>>
>>27591771
>smol RWD rodster gud
>FWD hatch A gud
>FWD hatch B gud
>FWD hatch C bad
>>
>>27589866
Thrashing the shit out of a slow car is infinitely more fun than worrying about someone keying your Ferrari while you are in Poundland.
>>
>>27591775
Not usually because they just don't respond well to it. You can't hammer something like a CLA180 and expect it to be fun because it'll just feel like a shit understeery barge
>>
>>27591793
the people who do that generally couldn't afford their purchase in the first place
>>
>>27591793
you could just buy an old shitbox V8, boost it, and now you have a fast car that you also don't care if it gets banged up.
>>
>>27591797
Don't buy FWD trannyverse shitboxes then.
>>
>>27590739
You've obviously never driven a highway-geared Grand Marquis or Town Car with a 4.6 and air springs. How does 85 mph at 1,600 rpm sound?
>>
>>27589897
Yes
However
YOU can't drive a fast car fast
>>
>>27591913
It would worry me to run at such slow rpm, my cars startup fast idle is 1500. 4500 rpm would feel betterer at anything highwayish.
>>
>>27592155
That's the Ford 4.6L V8. You get up to highway speed, the torque converter locks, and the engine gets out of your way. In a later Grand Marquis, you can do 85 on the Garden State Parkway, and you feel and hear nothing. Its a blimp floating down the highway. Mine idles at 500 RPM, when warm. The parent commenter was claiming that slow cars get obnoxious at high speeds, and so, their reference point is obviously either krautshit, or Hondas.
>>
>>27591533
We all know you want to get plowed on the hood of your miata. All foxes are bottoms.
>>
File: sundaecup3.png (545 KB, 531x540)
545 KB
545 KB PNG
the fit guys pull more gs than the "fast cars" on this board
>>
>>27592155
Take the American V8 pill
They are designed to cruise slightly above normal idling
>>
its not about speed though, its about pushing the limit of your car and you.

in a shitbox, you reach the limit of its capabilities easily and its fun to be there. in a fast car, unless you race semi pro/pro, you will never reach the limit without crashing.
>>
I think this meme came about because of how isolated and truck-like most modern performance cars feel. If you let one of those copers drive a 911 then they would understand fun fast car.
>>
File: 20240420_074556.jpg (1.02 MB, 2881x1575)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>27592179
>hondas
Can confirm
>>
>>27593436
Ironic use of check engine light. Nice.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.