[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Boomer autism
>>
>hating on success
Zoomer autism.
>>
who the fuck watches TV anymore
>>
>>27595969
>muh numbers matching cars
>explaining for half an hour why some factory options nobody cares about are actually super important
>explaining for another half an hour which catalogue numbers those factory options have
>dumb unfunny humour
don't get me wrong, I love old american cars (mopars especially), but this shit is just boomercore at it's worst
>>
File: Abuzer Dede.jpg (160 KB, 1060x707)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>27595980
>>muh numbers matching cars
This so much. Who the fuck cares if the car came from the factory with this or that engine ? I'd be content with any shell as long as it has a good drivetrain. Fuck this speculation collector bullshit.
Worst of all, even here in fucking FRANCE of all places, some american-sucking boomers started to tout this "matching numbers" shit, even on models that only ever came with one engine choice. Civil war or the apocalypse could not come soon enough.
>>
>>27596157
theyre not building them because it's what they want, what they want is top dollar at the auction block for a fucking time machine to the late 1960s.
I guarantee you most of the people who do restorations own hotrods as personal projects
>>
Don't get him started on the brock polarizer. Peter Brock the most famous driver at the time partnered with holden to make some peter brock specials.
But then he went through some weird hippy phase and put the brock "polarizer" on the cars. Afaik it was a plastic box with some cystals in it that aligned and purified the cars energy or something.
A lot of people took the polarizer off and threw it in the bin, not suspecting that it would be worth a small fortune later on.
>>
File: s-l600.jpg (43 KB, 369x500)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>27595980
>>27596157
>>27596174
Not a boomer by any means but I do think it's worth separating the historicity of cars from the dumb bullshit that's done on the auction block to pump up the numbers.

I bought a classic car a while ago that mechanically is set up the way that you would race-tune your daily for the strip. Double-pumper carb, cam, forged internals, intake header swap, timing advance, etc etc etc. Since I'm a younger guy I didn't even know that a lot of this shit went into original drag building and when I go to meets or talk to other people my age about the car it's really fun to pop the hood and point out the parts and talk about the edits and explain what's going on and why those changes were made for drag strips back in the day. It's fun to see them make the connections when the mechanics are explained because they're all into modern performance cars and they can "get it" when they realize what's going on.

So I can understand wanting to keep cars numbers matching or at least restored to their build sheets for that reason. It can be cool to say "hey, here's one of 50 hardtop street hemis with an air conditioner. Here's why they're rare, and here's why someone might have picked out these options despite the performance loss." I think that applies to the poverty specs too; it's just as interesting to say "hey, here's your small V8/inline 6 base model; here's what it would have sounded like, here's how it would have driven, here's what the performance of the car that everyone WOULD have been driving is."

That doesn't mean every car must be restored EXACTLY the way it was (the engine my car has in it was discontinued from factory for that year even if it could have theoretically been bought via catalogue and installed that way), but I do think that there's merit in numbers-matching examples across the spectrum. I don't think that means that they should 10x in price from that alone though.
>>
>>27596275
>forged internals
forged internals have been standard on every japanese car since the late 60's I've always been confused by americans thinking this is some kind of upgrade
>>
>>27596279
>I've always been confused by americans thinking this is some kind of upgrade
Because on a lot of American cars they were? I'm not into Japanese cars so I don't know what they were doing with their internals there, but forged internals often had to be part of a specific trim level, a request on your factory build sheet, or something that you did to a car afterward. They weren't standard most of the time.
>>
>>27595943
We never got this on TV but I've seen him on YouTube. But It pisses me off because he only posts an occasional episode, so there's no continuity. Then he reposts the same episodes over and over. I'm done with that show.
>>
>>27596279
>forged internals have been standard on every japanese car since the late 60's
Do you actually believe this?
>>
>>27596279
>>27596287
Looking it up it seems like the Japanese and Europeans used forged internals to greater degrees because the stress placed on small, high-rev rotating assemblies is way higher than the stress on those of larger assemblies, so it makes sense that you'd want to forge the internals for the small i4s and i6s that were generally being made there. Larger American engines skipped the practice to save on costs because the engines were large enough for normal casted internals to survive their internal stresses for long-enough periods of time.

So it all makes sense when you think about it.
>>
>>27596279
and the new S58 BMW motor has fully forged internals as standard
>>
>>27596326
Even B-series that rev to 8k use cast pistons. That guy is just retarded.
>>
>>27596324
>>27596333
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a jap car made after 1970 that didn't have forged crank and rods.
>>
when did tom selleck get his own show
>>
>>27596275
>It can be cool to say "hey, here's one of 50 hardtop street hemis with an air conditioner. Here's why they're rare, and here's why someone might have picked out these options despite the performance loss."
I see no absolutely no value or coolness in that shit. I really don't give a fuck about the tastes of some faggot from the era.
>>
>>27596427
I mean, suit yourself anon, but I don't think it's necessarily about the tastes of an individual. It would be about explaining why air conditioners cause performance losses, what might lead someone to pair that with an exclusively-performance engine, and what it was about the hemi that made it so expensive and difficult to produce that it can only be found in a vanishingly small amount of cars.
>>
File: 031.jpg (146 KB, 1080x901)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>27596427
Nobody cares about what you think. Your shit opinion obviously has 0 effect on the market.
>>
>>27596345
yes but they aren't strong, put 500hp through a stock rod and see what happens vs an after market forged h-beam.
>>
>>27596604
Are you being stupid on purpose? The list of jap engines that can do 500 hp on the stock rods would be very long.
>>
File: 1680545964688430.jpg (40 KB, 500x523)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>27596458
>the market
>a horde of geriatrics letting old cars rot or collect dust unless a bigger fool forks over the insane prices their asking for irrelevant reasons
Yeah, great market you have here.
>>27596455
>it would be about explaining why air conditioners cause performance losses
But that's shit so mundane even people without a licence know about it, mate.
>what might lead someone to pair that with an exclusively-performance engine
Who cares ? Retreading the preferences of the schmuck who ordered the car 50 years ago is not interesting in the slightest; at most it'll be infuriating in the cases I've seen:
>the 3.0 CSL sold awfully low numbers because the posh fucks who could afford BMW couldn't appreciate the idea of a stripped-down track-worthy 3series
and other flavors of "this based stuff didn't sell because it didn't appeal to the cunts with the wallet for it".
>>
>>27596706
>But that's shit so mundane even people without a licence know about it, mate.
I didn't because I wasn't into cars at the time. There are tons of people out there who are the way I was.
>Who cares ?
People who are into history. It's a very similar question as to why people preferred different kinds of art at different points in time, or different kinds of architecture, or different ways of dressing. If none of that is interesting to you then that's fine.
>>
>>27596744
>tracing the peculiar kind of shit taste John McBoomer had is history
No mate, history would be interested in studying why the big three were allowed to squash any competition, and such industry-wide subjects. Individual mundanities are just gossip. And I will not pay more for a car because its engine is the same it was ordered with.
I really don't get why you're defending so adamantly a meme that's so transparently about artificially pumping out prices for speculation purposes.
>>
>>27595943
Damn Scatman John looks like THAT!?
>>
>>27595943

Perfect Example:

A shitty poorly designed car that sold poorly with features that no one wanted or asked for that the company quit production on due to low sales will now sell for 40k+.

All because of some boomer "collector" with jewtube money.
>>
>>27596761
>history would be interested in studying why the big three were allowed to squash any competition, and such industry-wide subjects. Individual mundanities are just gossip.
You realize that history occurs on more scales than just dates and times and large events, right? Historians value the perspective of the individual intrinsically because it's rare, partly because people toss them out as not mattering. Finding someone's personal journal during a historical event is just as impactful to historians as finding out more information about the event itself. Similarly, it's just as impactful to have full examples of a variety of different kinds of cars that were present during specific points in automotive history and examine why they were made the way they are just as it's important to know what the automotive companies were doing during the times that they were building these cars.

If you're just not interested in pieces of this history that's fine, you don't have to justify this to anybody. But anyone who's actually interested in history as a subject and not something used to supplement their understanding of anything else knows that what you're saying is not actually how history is studied by anyone serious about the subject.

>I really don't get why you're defending so adamantly a meme that's so transparently about artificially pumping out prices for speculation purposes.
I literally said in my first post that I don't respect them being used for price inflation. I just think that having examples of cars built as they would have been is historically valuable and I don't think we should decry numbers matching cars solely for the sake of "being numbers matching" and should instead decry what price fixers DO to numbers matching cars.
>>
File: 1686504330943559.jpg (1.54 MB, 4096x2720)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>27597225
i agree.
>>27596813
now sell for 40k+
That's because more than one person sees the value in it.
>>
I think we're in a classic vehicle standstill at the moment. The rise of the internet has put everything on hold, anything from 50s-90s will stay desirable simply due to popular media, social media, and youtube. Anything goes with stuff before the 50s. For the one dude that won't fuck off about prewars... you will never own one because prewar people are in a jerkoff session with other prewar people, and they will be sold/given when the time comes. No one with a Dusenberg is throwing it up on craigslist for 4500 bucks, they are taken to auction because its such a hyperspecific niche that one coming up for sale attracts eyes of all enthusiasts. in contrast there will be no new "classics" after 2003, just old enthusiast cars. boomers dying off means nothing, all those cars are going for sale in estate auctions and on the used market for current prices. The prices will stay steady with inflation, and go up each year for super rare vehicles as more get crashed / crushed / disappear.
>>
>>27595943
Does that guy hang weights off his face all day? What’s with the droop ?
>>
>>27597415
the weight of sin
gradually, inexorably dragging all boomers to the lowest pit of hell
>>
>>27596345
powdered metal rods are incredibly common.
>>
>>27595980
i recently bought an old mopar. i might end up becoming like one of those mopar weirdos chasing after oem shit, numbers matching etc. etc. kek.
still very much interested in putting a tkx in it though, might introduce some seethe since i'll have to drill a hole in the center hump
>>
>>27596333
i thought forged internals generally referred to just the crank and rods, usually pistons get away with it because forged pistons are (were?) more susceptible to piston slap sso manufacturers often had to compromise there.
nearly all pistons now are hypereutectic which allows for more strength than regular cast pistons, but not as much thermal expansion as forged pistons.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.