[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is fixing your own car even fun? It sounds stressful desu. Wouldn't you rather be doing something that's actual entertainment, like watching TV, playing vidya, or playing sports?
>>
>>27600058
It can be if you don't need it to get to work the next day and can take your time.
>>
File: marina.jpg (138 KB, 1170x2080)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>27600058
>tv
nothing good on.
>vidya
gets boring after 30 minutes
>sports
im pretty solid at major sports but im nearly 30 and would rather not get hit in the face by some random try hard jock at the local rec center.
>>
File: wrench simulator.jpg (810 KB, 1440x2160)
810 KB
810 KB JPG
>>27600058
You're right, vidya doesn't sound bad
>>
>>27600058
The fun part is when you get it working properly
>>
>>27600058
It's fun when it all goes smooth which is almost never it usually is a massive pita but it is satisfying to be sure of the state of your vehicle
>>
>>27600058
It's great when you've got four shitboxes to swap out with one another at any given point.
>>
i love milfs
anyways yes IF you have a full set of tools and garage and a mate to help
sadly mines spread across 3 states and i gotta go get it all, never lend shit out bros!
>>
File: smoke_wait_every_day.jpg (70 KB, 600x534)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>27600058
>4eyes and a milf in the same picture
>>
File: glad its over.jpg (42 KB, 300x345)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
You usually get a sense of accomplishment and either the reassurance that the job was well done or the nagging suspicion that you turned something into a waiting disaster.

I think preventive or restoration-type stuff can be fun, but fixing a car because it broke sucks. Over all I prefer did-it-myself to do-it-myself but you can't have the first without the latter.

>mfw i finally finish a job
>>
>>27600058
It eitherm pisses me off, disappoints me, or gets me so tired I need to rest for hours afterwards.
>>
File: 1303875203553.jpg (23 KB, 215x176)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>driving along
>see pic rel
>mfw I found my next murder victim and wives
>>
no which is why the wrenchlet insult is insane bragging about being forced to be a mechanic is retarded unless you're a car repair enthusiast
>>
>>27600303
t. couldn't twist the oil filter off
>>
>>27600498
ive pulled 3 motors, chopped up/parted out 2 cars, rebuilt 2 transmissions, and have done every oil change on every car i owned

this shit is for losers bro people with lives and money buy new cars or pay mechanics i like driving cars i hate working on them
>>
>>27600058
i would if i had a proper lift so i wouldn't have to lie on the ground and every job didnt turn into a whole weekend ordeal
>>
No it's fucking miserable but it saves so much money its worth it. Recently had a violent death rattle in my car. Found the source of the noise by jacking car up and shaking everything. Ordered aftermarket swaybar links for 55 dollars a pair. Installed them over like 30 minutes. This is like $200+ in my country.
>>
The only fun is that I can save $$$ and I don't rot my brain on the electrical jew.
>>
>>27600744
>"electrical jew"
I think your brain has already rot
>>
I don't trust mechanics to not try and fuck me.
Once, never again.
Also, my time is cheaper than $125/hr
>>
File: never-happended.gif (16 KB, 220x140)
16 KB
16 KB GIF
>>27600510
>>
>>27600811
What's the point of watching talmudvision? News gives you stress, it doesn't build character, it doesn't teach you anything, you are just paying some corporation to sit on your own damn couch
>>
>>27600058
Only if I can actually afford the shit I need, I love doing the work, it's the not having parts that fucks me up
>>
>>27600069
Wtf is this whore now so desparate she's posting selfies? Her music career dropped off that hard?
>>
>>27600058
Depends what you do. Simple tasks like putting in new coils is easy, replacing spark plugs is a little bit more complicated. But any fixing that's harder to get to I leave it up to the mechanic to do it.
>>
>>27600299
Back in the day with no cell phones and invasive police, this could of been possible.
>>
>>27600131
Go back to your /o/ humor containment thread shill. Buy an ad
>>
>>27600818
>I don't trust mechanics
This. Not because they might want to fuck me over, but because they might neglect or forgot something, or might be plain incompetent. Even the best ones I know had their fuck ups with my shit.
>my time
Also some jobs take time comparable to what I spend on going to the mechanic with the added advantage of being able to do them when I want not when the mechanic has a time slot available.
>>
File: 1698701627270254.png (1.08 MB, 1024x1024)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>27600058
It's pretty rewarding desu. Also you can save some money.
>>
>>27600058
If you have a garage and a lift. Working under jack stands or ramps is awful and I'd prefer someone else do it for me
>>
It's fun when it's not your main car and is the only thing in this world you truly love.
>>
>>27600068
fpbp
Working on a car is fun as long as you're not relying on it to survive. Unless it's pulling the starter out of a 2nd gen RWD 4Runner.
>>
>>27600058
>Is fixing your own car even fun?
Yes, but then again I always have a 2nd "newish" car that needs less attention. So here is how I work it, I have a main car for spring, summer, fall. Then in the winter I use a beater to get rusted out from the salt on the roads. The beater also transports big items. I had a Ford Ranger and then a Dodge Grand Caravan with stow n go seats into the floor. Each one I could easily swap parts, fix up on the cheap, run only in the winter or when I needed lumber, wood chips or other heavy bulk items.
If my main car fails, again no biggy I can fix that while driving around the bulk carry beater.
>>
Anything that isn't just swapping parts or making minor adjustments like setting valve clearances is very frustrating
>>
>>27600938
kill yourself faggot
>>
It sucks but it's satisfying. I prefer working on my bike because it's all more accessible
>>
>>27600510
>people that are not car enthusiasts with lives and money buy new cars or pay mechanics
ftfy. nothing wrong with that, but don't act like people who are averse to tools, like the average upper middle class rando that just wants a decent car to putter around in, are the same as most enthusiasts
>>
>>27600058
If it’s easy stuff like oil changes, filters, or brake pads then I don’t mind that.
>>
>>27600068
This, sort of. Depends if you’re mechanically inclined as well. I like pulling shit apart and seeing how it works, but then there are days where I’m home from a 10-12 hour day at work and a friend or family member says their car started running like shit on the way home from work and they check engine light is flashing, so I have to load up a bunch of tools and run over there and pull it apart in a parking lot before Advance Auto closes because I’m not about to let them pay $800 for a fuel injector at the dealer.
>>
>>27600058
Sometimes. If it’s a simple oil change, plugs, preventative stuff like that, or giving it a good cleaning, then it’s relaxing. Throw some tunes on, take your time and chill. If it’s an emergency fix, no, it’s suffering.
It’s also nice to just work on something mechanical with your hands like an actual man and not laze about on your phone or watching the electric jew box like a fat manchild Redditor.
>>
>>27600058
>It sounds stressful
It kind of is stressful the first couple of times. Can you position the car correctly e.g. if you need to get under it? Do you actually know what needs to be done in order to complete your work? Is it okay if the car just sits there unused?
Because if you answer "No" to any of those, then I wouldn't even start. Especially with the first one, being able to safely position the car. Those fuckers are heavy, and if you can't easily reach what you need to work on, then you're going to have a bad time no matter how skilled you are.
>>
File: PXL_20240229_201907600.jpg (2.31 MB, 4032x2268)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
>>27600058
I like wrenching
>>
>>27600058
It kind of sucks but I hate the vampires at the service counter more. At a certain point I'm just doing it out of pride and sunk cost fallacy rather than because it really makes sense from a resource perspective.
>>
It's fun when you want to do it, not fun when you have to do it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.