[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: wax-car-0a42ec4bd0.jpg (64 KB, 1000x667)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
I even seem to find a video of it without them advertising some kind of a product brand.

Do you wax it and how often ? How long does it take ? Scotty says wax every 3months.
There is an option to "water-wax" on manual carwashes but I don't think it helps much given it cost 50 cent.
>>
Used to wax it every spring after a thorough washing and polishing. Now I tried the turtle wax ceramic spray coating instead of waxing, we'll see how it goes.
>>
There's an adv saying turtle wax is no1 in usa. But there's simply too much to choose from. Anyone already did the research and give the summary ?
>>
>>27605830
no i ceramic coated it its so much better
>>
>>27605830
i use a wash n wax soap. seems to work well enough, not looking for show quality.
>>
>>27605830
I was planning to with full synth for maximum duration. Probably twice a year at early spring and late fall. If you have heavy sunlight all year long, theres zero reason not to wax your car at least twice a year since the UV ruins the paint otherwise.

If you want full effectiveness instead of looks, try aiming towards synthetic waxes as these focus more on the effectiveness and duration of the wax effect rather than making the car look as good as possible.

Quick waxes are better than nothing but nowhere near as good as an actual wax surface
>>
>>27605830
I use a paste wax by hand and try to apply it at least twice a year. It's a bit of a workout, usually takes about an hour between applying, waiting for it to harden and buffing it off. Fills in minor imperfections in the paint and gives it a very satisfying feel to the touch
>>
speaking of car washing shit, do you guys use clays too?
>>
>>27605833
I've used some of those waterless washes and spray on nano ceramix waxes. Just like everything else in this gay world I assume its just a spin on a very old car care product that a marketing department got a hold of and charges us $8 for a spray bottle of whats probably the cheapest surfactant possible. They seem to give an okay shine, but unless I'm doing that twice a week its just not as good as a solid wash and paste wax session.

I do a nearly all day wash, wax, chrome polish, rainX, vinyl treatment, leather care, and plastic preserver on my motorcycle a few times a year. The wash doesn't take very long, but a lot of small pieces for waxing and buffing, then chrome polishing and buffing, then plastics treatments and buffing. It just takes several hours. I have 2 neighbors that do the same for their trucks; all fuckin day detailing them. We seem to do the task every 2 or 3 months and the paint on our vehicles looks showroom fresh still.

We're not like the obsessed garage though of using 12 different buckets, water filtration, pressure washers, and all kinds of other autistic nonsense. Fresh sponge, fresh microfibers will put some scratches in the clear coat which can be clay-barred out, but fuck all that. These are regular vehicles, not show cars trying to earn money for the paint finish. Maybe I'll give clay bar a shot one day to fix the swirls on black paint, but not today.

>>27605836
If its being advertised, its probably the same shit with a different dye. Turtle wax has been around for many decades protecting cars, what makes the new $20 tub of carnuba wax special?

It should go without saying, but avoid those "touchless" car washes and avoid the ones with spinning rag wheels beating your car.
>>
>>27605830
i do a real wax/sealant (jescar powerlok + collinite) once a year and every time i wash (once a month or so) i use beadmaker as sort of a pseudo-wax (it really does seem to add gloss and slickness)
>>
>>27605830
I had mine ceramic coated, and use that yellow meguiar's soap that has ceramic mixed in it to maintain
>>
>>27606064
>do you guys use clays too?
Yes
>Feel surface of paint when washing car
>Gritty as fuck
>Clay car
>Smooth as ice after
>>
File: PXL_20240328_134119626.jpg (2.63 MB, 4032x2268)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB JPG
>>27605830
I washed the body, wheels, and soft top, then clayed, compounded, and waxed my Miata a couple weeks ago. Took about 4 hours. Makes a huge difference, I love how smooth the paint feels to the touch afterwards. Your choice of wax, how often you wash it and your choice of wash chemical, weather conditions in your area, and indoor or outdoor storage are all factors in how long your wax will last. Carnauba has the shortest life (especially if you store it outdoors and drive in the rain), synthetic waxes will usually last longer. I've never had one last the full year they claim before I'm unhappy with the finish and feel it needs reapplication, but if your car is a weekend toy garage queen it might.
>>27605913
This is the good shit and what I used in pic related.
>>27606064
Yes. I clay once a year. You'd be surprised how much gunk the clay bars pick up that normal washing won't. You also reduce the risk of scratching up your paint with said gunk when you apply the wax by claying first.
>>
File: PXL_20240312_215145799.jpg (3.12 MB, 4032x2268)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB JPG
>>27606236
Pic related, I think this was brake dust stuck to my hood that washing never took off.
>>
>>27606245
didnt use an iron remover after you washed?
>>
>>27606279
Never used it since I always polish afterwards anyway. The clay mostly does the same thing in one step. I'll try that next year before I clay it again I suppose, see if I like the results any better.
>>
>>27606305
I should add this is the first time I've ever had my clay turn red from iron deposits (didn't happen with last year's clay on the same car or my other shitbox), so I didn't think I'd need it this year either. My commute didn't change (same home and same workplace), so that's kinda weird.
>>
>>27605833
I've had good results with the turtle wax hybrid products.
>>
>>27606305
iron remover is pretty nice as it gets rims insanely clean too. I highly recommend it
>>
>>27605833
I just applied some yesterday, seems pretty nice and I'm just waiting for the rain to see how well it holds up
>>
>>27606317
there are plenty factors that can build up towards packing iron on a cars surface. Best method to figure out if you have flyrust or iron dust on your car is after foaming and handwashing it, slide your fingers gently over the paint. If it still feels gritty/rough, you have iron still stuck on the paint as it wont come off with regular washing chemicals
>>
>>27605854
Apparently you have to do it 1-2x per year still and it is really expensive. When I declined it on my new car the guy was really adamant that I should at least diy it.
I'm still researching what to do. Will probably just wax it for now.
>>
>>27606092
Ehm, you don't use a clay bar to fix swirls. It's to take away asphalt and stubborn grime/minerals that won't come off by rubbing your sponge or microfiber over. It's a reason you do it wet. It is advised not to clay all the time as this will eventually wear down your paint, just like you shouldn't polish your car all the time either.
>>
>>27606372
oh shit, what can be done to improve the tiny scratches and swirls most evident in black paint then? If its a special buffer tool I'll just say fuck it and live with it because of other much deeper scratches in some areas.
>>
>>27606376
Polishing. Besides the elements taking it's toll, it's you touching the car that's making most of the spiderwebs. Depending on how much you use the car, and if you drive in harsh contitions (like dirt roads) all the time, I wouldn't bother with being to hangup in keeping it mint and just get a paint correction a few years down the line if you feel the car is worth it.
>>
>>27606520
Its far from mint condition, there are some deep scratches down to the fiberglass or metal in some spots just because thats unfortunately what rocks and other shit have done. But in sunlight its super obvious the light scratches. Anything other than direct sunlight it still looks good I guess. Oh well, I'll only wash and wax it as best I can.
>>
>>27605830
I did it once and it turned the black plastic cladding gray. Turtle wax did it. Never again.
>>
>>27606861
You don't put wax on plastic trim, retard-kun.
>>
>>27606372
>asphalt
use tar remover
>stubborn grime/minerals that won't come off by rubbing your sponge or microfiber over
if youre rubbing youre already doing it wrong
>>
File: c45.jpg (444 KB, 960x2179)
444 KB
444 KB JPG
not that often anymore.
wax is great. its only bad if your car collects dust on top of it.
also this was my favorite wax.
>>
File: fhg456.png (834 KB, 600x829)
834 KB
834 KB PNG
>>27607050
this takes tar off
>>
>>27605830
I wax ur mum's muff
>>
>>27606364
>1-2x per year
that's bullshit. as long as you use the right kind of soap and microfiber cloths you only need to have it applied every ~3 years. It depends on how often you wash though too, if you're washing every week all year long it might be less than 3 years.
>>
>>27607061
I was shocked at how nice that stuff is to use
>>
>>27605830
I have never waxed a single of my cars in my life and the only time I washed one of them I drove through a field and got actual bullshit on it and didn't want it to get inside
>>
Any opinions on cheap shit polishing machines?
>>
>>27608644
I got the two handed one and honestly thought it was going to shake the panels off the car. And the gay polishing pad kept slipping off of the machine. If anything it just put more swirls into the clear coat.
>>
>>27608661
That bad, huh? I wonder if the type I posted works better than those awkward two-handed ones.
>>
>>27605830
Yes, also I wax my body, not sure if that matters.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.