[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000006478.jpg (387 KB, 1414x1622)
387 KB
387 KB JPG
Advice me winter tires. R16 205/60.
Should I try stabbed?
I now have Bridgestone Bizzak r16 205/60 without stabs, bot it worn out.
>>
It's May bro why are you getting winter tires
>>
>>27633059
> It's May bro why are you getting winter tires
Because it's cheaper to get them now.
>>
>>27633059
he might live in australia retard
>>
>>27633066
> he might live in australia retard
Stabbed tires are thing only in Scandinavia, Canada, Alaska, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan. In other places it just prohibited or don't needed
>>
>>27633077
It's prohibited in Scandinavia AFAIK, maybe except for 2-3 months of winter, so people there ride on chains in icy conditions.
>>
>>27633136
Finland's technically not in Scandinavia, but they're legal for at least 5 months each year there (November to March), and longer if the circumstances require them.
Hardly ever seen chains, except on work vehicles that need to go off-road or use very unmaintained roads. Good winter tires and maybe AWD is quite enough for most passenger cars.
There's been some talk about reducing the use of those studded tires since they tend to wear out road surfaces, and mostly just help on smooth ice. Though if nobody was using those tires, there'd probably be a lot more smooth ice around.
>>
>>27633053
Depends on where you live and what the terrain is like

Good & modern nordic-type studless tires do damned well on just about any surface. Good studded tires do better on ice ofcourse, but then you have added noise, rolling resistance, studs that don't appreciate asphalt, and some places require a daily fee for running studded tires
>>
>>27633053
Good quality studded tires do have better traction on winter than studless tires. Cheap priced studded tires can have worse traction than high quality studless tires.
>>
>>27633136
Studded tires are norm in nordic countries
>>
File: cross dressers.png (454 KB, 1543x850)
454 KB
454 KB PNG
>>27633053
Get these and run them year round. Excelent in snow and summer, quiet in spite of the tread pattern. Ther are directional, rotate front to back only.
>>
>>27633484
Actually; no. Studless have overtaken studded in term of total sales, and by a good margin. Ofcourse, the more rural & further north you go the more studded you'll see - even if studless is also the most popular choice there too
>>
>>27633562
Which one? Here in finland studded are still king.
>>
>>27633594
Norway, Sweden, and Finland

Finland is still highest in stud-use, but when I talked to a company-rep from Nokian last year they said that studless held about 65% share of winter tire sales in 2022
>>
>>27633747
I still think most finns have studded ones, but sure studdless are gaining market share.
>>
>>27633422
>Cheap priced studded tires can have worse traction than high quality studless tires.
I've heard that and it definitely isn't true. On pure ice with two light to medium weight vehicles the vehicle with the cheap studded tires will have much better traction on pure ice. On heavier vehicles there's less of a difference but the difference is still there. Even with cheap shitty studded winters on my FWD shitbox I can still take pure ice hairpins at 30mph which is better than rally cars with non studded tires can do. I don't even want to know what good studded tires would be like.

>>27633495
These are memes. They're useless on ice and shitty when it's not winter. All weather tires in general are just shit. They really only make sense if you're old as fuck and do 3k miles a year and don't really drive in the snow and don't really feel like dealing with tire swaps.
>>
>>27633805
Gotta remember that most fins live rather far south in the country. Once you start going north of Tampere is when you'll see stud-use go heavily up, but with a much more sparse population it doesn't affect the numbers as much

>>27633874
>Even with cheap shitty studded winters on my FWD shitbox I can still take pure ice hairpins at 30mph which is better than rally cars with non studded tires can do. I don't even want to know what good studded tires would be like.
No, he is right - I remember reading tests done by the norwegian magazine Motor a few years back where the best studless tire outperformed a studded tire on braking, cornering and acceleration on lake ice. However that is comparing an absolute bottom-of-the-barrel studded chink tire to a top-quality european studless - any studded tire made by a competent company will outdo any studless when it comes to a hard ice surface
>>
>>27633066
Why would an aussie need snow tires? They're upside down retard, the snow would go up.
>>
>>27635029
I live in Helsinki and majority of cars have studded ones here too.
>>
>>27635033
no, they have to mount their directional tires backwards, because wheels spin the opposite direction down under
>>
>>27633077
They are NOT prohibited in many USA states during winter.
And judging by the endless accident videos from US winter, you would NEED them.
Basically the Big Auto shills mud&snow tires to sell you useless 4wd traction systems. The Big Tyre will gladly sell studless 'friction winter tires' as the friction wears out in two winters and are deadly after it.
>>
>>27635041
What is wrong with Homo City traffic officials? Bans studded tires from certain roads and removes yield signs because '1 inch drop already means it'
>>
>>27635122
its just one road in citycenter and i never drive in citycenter anyway, easier just go there with public transport.
>>
>>27633136
>>27633322
Of course it's illegal year round, I'm talking about winter.
>>
>>27633077
Studded tires are illegal in the Southern part of Ontario so when you get in to a a car accident insurance companies who lobby the government to make them illegal get giant bumps in your premiums and make more money.
Once again kikes are to blame.
>>
>>27635041
Maybe - I'm just going off what Pekkapiirkajokka told me at the convention?
>>
>>27633594
>>27633562
Here in Russia like 70% of passenger cars are using subbed tires in winter.
Stubs aren't good in really cold weather, it's good when you have sub zero temperatures (not in freedom units ofc).
>>
>>27635335
I guess there's more smooth black ice when the temperature's hovering right around the freezing point?
Because if the weather stays really cold for long, there's just going to be snow and rough ice, and stubs/studs don't really do much on that, from what I understand.
>>
>>27635343
Even then they do a lot more than tires that don't.
>>
>>27635239
>Of course it's illegal year round, I'm talking about winter.
I guess non finns dont understand that everyone in finland has 2 set of tires and its mandatory to change with season. Are there actually some retards who think that studded tires are used in summer.
>>
File: HO80l.png (5 KB, 601x695)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>27635391
Kek, I remember visiting people in Texas (I'm norgayan) and we got onto that topic

>so you you keep another set of tires to use just when it snows?
No, I use it for the entirety of winter
>but what about when it doesn't snow
There is still ice, and the snow doesnt really go away
>that sounds like a lot of work and money for just a few weeks of driving
Winter here lasts from the start of november to usually mid-april, with no melting or above-freezing temps
>how is that possible without all the waterlines freezing or the animals dying?
>>
>>27635391
>its mandatory to change with season
Isn't it legal to drive around on studless winter tires in summer?
I mean, they are pretty shitty for summer driving. The rubber mix in very low-temperature winter tires is absolutely not made to grip hot asphalt and survive the process for long. But if you're planning to buy new winter tires anyway, you could just keep driving on the old ones for a while and spare the actual summer tires some wear.
>>
>>27635503
Kek.
>>27635391
It's same here in Russia. It's required by law to install winter tires from 1st of November to 1st of April. It was adopted not a while ago, because before it was obvious like wearing hat and gloves in winter.
>>27635343
> I guess there's more smooth black ice when the temperature's hovering right around the freezing point?
No. You need studs for minus 2-5C. With that temperature it often snowing and road workers using reagents. This creatures situation of ice under snow , especially in suburban areas and near apartment buildings. Snow or use itself are not that bad.
>>
>>27635120
>The Big Tyre will gladly sell studless 'friction winter tires'
In my part of the USA (Minnesota), although I do have to drive on snowy roads during winter storms, the plows usually make quick work of the snow, and most of the winter is actually pretty dry. So most of my winter driving is on cold dry roads.
Daytime high temps during January and February are often in the teens or twenties (fahrenheit). And there are usually a number of days that dip down to -20 or so overnight, with highs never getting above zero.

Unless I'm mistaken about how studded tires work, I've always assumed they're best for snowy roads, but studless are a better choice for dry roads with very cold temperatures.
Do studded tires work well on dry pavement?
>>
>>27633059
>Why are you buying them when shops are trying to clear out inventory
>And you have your winter set in storage, meaning you don't have to pay for transfer to car?

>>27635532
You can get summer tires with M+S stamps on them, and ask the auditors to fuck off.
You can also stud summer tires, if you wanted that.
Winter studless drive "fine" in summer, but it gets too fucking soft meaning slightly longer braking distance.

Its also possible to buy whole year, anti Conti Cross, and a bunch of other rather bad tire patterns. Such as >>27633495
They are mediocre in heat, and awful for actual ice skating. Its like getting bfgoodrich meme tires for driving on asphalt.
>then why get them
Because memes, or if you just want one tire set to completely ignore the need for a second one.
>>
>>27633065
Actually production is down in summer and they become more rare and either cost more or the same.

Had the last pair of winter contacts in my region found and they were 4 years old and they wouldn’t sell them to me for less than MSRP despite being 4 years old.

Not saying don’t buy now, but it doesn’t matter. It will alll come down to conditions at the moment. Best time is usually peak when production is maxed out and they need space in the warehouse or wherever
>>
>>27636063
left over stock goes on sale as they need space for summer tires. Thats how i got nokian tires for 200 euros while new it was like 150 euros a piece.
>>
File: icy boi.jpg (1.3 MB, 2304x1728)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>27635029
I'm still not buying it. I've done lots of lake driving with my buddies and my cheap Chinese studded tires outperform the studless Hakkas. Even with heavier vehicles. The cheap studded tire would have to be extremely bad as in having like 20 studs per tire to be worse than a studless tire. The only time the studless tire will be better is when both tires are worn and the studded tire has lost all it's studs. Studded tires run a harder compound that does suck on ice when you have no studs.
>>
File: hakkapeliitta.jpg (315 KB, 1440x1466)
315 KB
315 KB JPG
>>27633053
Get these and call it a day
>>
Who the hell writes them out with the rim diameter first?
>>
>>27633053
>stabs
They're called struts. MacPherson are the most common type.
>>
>>27633053
i have continental vikingcontact 7 3 years now no issues
>>
>>27633495
These are excellent in the rain, are amazing at stops, and quiet but I'm sure these are the worst of both worlds when the weather actually turns extreme.
t. crossclimate2 user
>>
>>27638041
In Finland, the CrossClimate's are marketed as summer tyres which can be used in colder conditions than regular summer tyres
>>
>>27638041
>I'm sure these are the worst of both worlds when the weather actually turns extreme
I don't think even Michelin recommends using those as year-round tires in northern Europe. They might be just barely legal winter tires in some of those countries, but you'll definitely want something better for actual winter conditions.
One joke I've seen about those is that they're best suited for the occasional midsummer hailstorm (it's been known to happen, very occasionally).
>>
>>27638077
>>27638079
This part of New York doesn't get as much snow or as cold as upstate or Northern Europe and is almost completely flat. I almost bought a set of winter tires but we haven't had real snow down here in forever.
>>
File: 1000006540.jpg (473 KB, 1440x2485)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
>>27638021
> Who the hell writes them out with the rim diameter first?
>>
File: trice_peaks.jpg (48 KB, 780x490)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
daily reminder that only this mark says a tire is suitable for winter. M+S does not say anything
>>
>>27637942
This. Have them on all 4 cars in the family. Longest lasting and best performing winter tires I have ever owned
>>
>>27633562
fucking studless niggers and their shitty fucking not studded winter tires
fuck all studlets who need salt on their roads so their shitty studless winter tires can get some grip
yes i'm salty that lapland is being salted now because southern tourists have shitty winter tires
>>
>>27638238
Yes. But its not in regulations.
Unless you are driving C in Europe, which in case you need the mark on them for them winter driving in Scandinavia.
>>
>>27635262
There's literally enough salt on the roads for Ontario that I haven't bothered with winter tires for the past 5 years, granted my shitbox is worth scrap.
>>
>>27638238
Pretty much every AT has that mark and they all suck ass in the winter compared to an actual winter tire.
>>
>>27633874
>They really only make sense if you're old as fuck and do 3k miles a year and don't really drive in the snow and don't really feel like dealing with tire swaps.
yeah that's me
>>
>>27639323
Well then you can pretty much get by with normal all seasons that are rotatable, not shitty wearing and much quieter.
>>
Rubber connoisseurs such as myself have long dropped Continental in favor of Vredestein or Toyo. The only two brands that can be considered real alternatives to Michelins. Vredesteins even outperform comparable Michelin models in some metrics.
>>
I run winter tires year round. Fuck it. Been doing this for over 10 years. We get maybe 4 months of nice weather. And 8 months of maybe snow and colder weather. Tires last me a few years and I drive a lot.
>>
File: 1715217963488.jpg (520 KB, 1440x2560)
520 KB
520 KB JPG
Got this
>>
>>27633053
guys my summer tires are all worn up. should i just use winter tires for all season? they seem better. my car is a 20 yr shitbox that i got for very cheap so i won't bother doing anything to it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.