[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: R8I_vZ6nuiM.jpg (706 KB, 2560x1600)
706 KB
706 KB JPG
>Imagine if your '64 Ford Falcon getting a facelift in the 80s in '77 european Ford Granada style, and then 10 years later you throw out all chrome and give it a Volvo inspired facelift and an 80s Cadillac rear window. And then trying to connect a copied Audi 200 Quattro AWD gearbox to a sort of 1958 Buick 2.4 OHV engine produced unchanged since 1970, but the authorities reject all your work as being too complicated. And then you give it a '93 Ford Transit inspired facelift at the same time, the whole production car remains virtually unchanged since the mid-70s.

Jesus.... Why are communists so bad?
>>
File: Falcon-verde-371.jpg (52 KB, 709x429)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>27635922
That sounds more like the Argentinian Falcon
>>
>>27635922
having modest wealth and a somewhat shitty car > no wealth and no car, so who cares
>>
File: zcAAAgElvOA-1920.jpg (337 KB, 1202x676)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
>And then you become a capitalist and start turning your '64 falcon into this abomination. Next step is buying a Plymouth Voyager 2.4 DOHC engine in America, and ask the Germans to do the shittiest possible cheapest "luxury" interior with a lot fake wood and nice 90s Blaupunkt audio
>>
Why make new car if old car still work? We make new car when there reason for making of new car. Making without of reason is dekadent kapitalist pig dog mentality.
>>
>>27635993
For me the funniest one is the 90s version with knockoff MB W123 tailights
>>
>>27635922
We pretend to work and they pretend to pay?
>>
>And then you look at the american 50s design Renaissance with cars like PT Cruiser and Chevrolet SSR and you also decide to make 50s style rear ends for it, but with a early 00s Lexus inspired taillights and also get rid of old leaf spring suspension at the rear. But your CEO, a Swede, says enough is enough...
>>
>>27636005
>Why make new car if old car still work?
lol, lmao even
>>
Should have run a VQ25 with a MT72 mounted upside down instead of the shitty Quattro setup.
>>
File: 250s ad.png (3.71 MB, 1155x1586)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB PNG
>>27636064
He's right though, and it used to be even worse in America, notably the 50s. Each new year a new refresh that was only cosmetic, meant to shame people into switching models every year to put money in the pockets of big auto.
Even the Germans mocked the burgers for that.
>>
>>27636064
Yes. Is glorious fiat 124. Ono prosto rabotaet.
>>
>>27636085
Even in Russia itself car industry took different approaches, VAZ actually decide to innovate, so we got cars like Samara, 110, or Kalina, while GAZ vent with yet another facelift of Volga.
>>
File: 1691628616003338.jpg (1.03 MB, 1081x1613)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>27635928
>>27635922
>Imagine if your '64 Ford Falcon getting a facelift
Argentine Falcon was on a 1963 Falcon.
Of course this is also the early Mustang platform.
>Based.
>>
>>27636085
Bring back cars made to last
>>
>>27636306
Well, the Argentinian Falcon at least got period correct styling, unlike communist crap
>>
File: IMG_20240504_133649~2.jpg (2.19 MB, 3088x1760)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
Sounds based, I'm in.
>>
File: 1701136080813361.jpg (122 KB, 1280x720)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>27635993
Just thinking this would make a crazy sleeper in it's home country. Ford fitted the 60-66 Falcon/Mustang with the Windsor V8. Be an easy swap.
>>
>>27636257
>VAZ actually decide to innovate,

>so we got cars like Samara

More than 50% of the work was carried out by Porsche. The engine is something like a partial copy of the VAG SOHC. The soviets have never done a belt driven engine before, they made a chain or gear and considered the timing belt unreliable, which indicates the real origin of the Samara engine. But the rest of the design was unsuccessful because Golf 2 has a front subframe like modern cars, and Samara suspension is attached directly to the body. Also, due to the lack of a subframe, they placed the steering rack too high and attached it to the body, which determined extremely poor handling characteristics.

>110
Just a Samara made by dudes obsessed with a wind tunnel with some more modern features. Which was already outdated when it went into production in 1996. Also, base trim model came with carburetor engine in 1996, kek. They got their first 16v EFI with the help of Bosch almost 20 years after Toyota did it, and it produced only 91 hp.

> or Kalina
Still the same Samara with stolen Opel Corsa B styling
>>
>he saw the thread
FUG :DDDDD
>>
File: 1692535058626405.jpg (186 KB, 1024x1024)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>27635922

what's even funnier is, with no profit and no competition, there was no reason to update anything, make production more efficient, or expand production to meet demand. they made as many as they made, with the quality they felt like, and that was it.
so you had Soviet auto workers in the 1980s pretty much hand building each of these shitty 1960s Fiats because nothing coming off the line fit together without being beaten into shape, and there was no reason to change the process to make things fit or even make them faster, so Comrade Ivan is on a 3 year wait list to buy a 1960s Fiat for an amount that was twice as much of his salary as an American worker buying a brand-new Toyota that's decades ahead in tech and welded together by robots
>>
File: ZgAAAgK2uOA-1920.jpg (618 KB, 1920x1080)
618 KB
618 KB JPG
>you are working as engineer in the late 70s at the main car factory named after country capital
>your simpliefied 1962 ford zodiac mk3 copies are outdated even compared to the already outdated license build Fiat 124 produced in a rival factory
>you are trying designing a new car with contemporary solutions like MacPherson Strut and square headlight made in Czechoslovakia
>authorities don’t believe you so much and say that you did bullshit to embezzle government money and threaten to cut all you of funding
>then they realize that your cars are outdated and order you to make new FWD vehicle for cheap
>they order a exact copy of the 1976 car of the year in europe
>not VW Golf, not Volvo 240, not even Renault
>it's Simca-Chrysler 1307 (!)
>you are traveling to Western Europe to buy a exact 1976 model year Simca-Chrysler 1307 and bring it to homeland
>but upon arrival you realize that Simca-Chrysler 1307 has transverse mounted engine, something like alien technology for your car factory
>you understand that you have neither a proper engine nor a gearbox for transverse mount
>the rival factory, as the sole manufacturer of transverse engine FWD cars, refuses to share its technology
>you decide to just saw off the front part of Simca and weld to it the front part of your old car with the longitudinal BMW engine using copied Audi 80 gearbox
>It's 1985 and your car is going into production in already outdated form more than 10 years after your first attempts to replace the 1962 ford zodiac mk3

I can't believe, but this is true. The communists screwed up so badly.
>>
>>27637517
>More than 50% of the work was carried out by Porsche
Just like with anything involving russians, since ever
First car produced in Soviet Union was rebadged Ford A, first limousines for commie aparatchiks got reverse-engineered from a Buick, and the following ones from Packards. First Moskvitch was Opel Kadett actually made with Opel tooling, requested by soviets as part of war reparations, and Pobeda was heavily inspired by Opel Kapitan, studied by GAZ engineers back in the days, when krauts were their best buddies.
>>
>>27637662
Yeah, dude, but I don't think it's that bad. Look at Japan or Korea, for example. The Nissan L series engine which became the basis for the venerable RB series was originally a copy of or at least heavily inspired by Mercedes straight six. Many Hyundai engines came from Mitsubishi, Ssang Yong is built on Mercedes parts, American front-wheel drive platforms came from cooperation with Japan etc.

The point is that the Soviets (and then the Russians) after receiving the technology did not try to innovate further. And when their engineers did something of their own, they were often rejected and preferred dumb copy everything from the west or cooperation with western carmakers, who sold the crap like Fiat 124 or Samara suspension
>>
File: IMG_20240316_212759.jpg (805 KB, 3264x1468)
805 KB
805 KB JPG
'ate efi
'ate abs
'ate fancy electronics (not a wrenchlet, jus dun loik em)
Luv me Volga
Luv me slavshit
Simple as (like the engineering behind them)
>>
>>27637763
Without EFI, you can't even install a 2-way remote start alarm system on your car. Remote start is absolutely necessary in nordic country. You just don't drive it every day, you're only LARP as muh slavshit lover. As a wealthy Finn, you probably have a modern car too.
>>
>>27637801
>Remote start is absolutely necessary in nordic country.
Uhh what, why?
My newest daily driven car is a 1989 Lada Niva currently, seen here >>27637501

I admit though that I don't drive the Volga every day, I usually take the Niva or during the summer the Skoda for my daily driving needs.
>>
>>27637806
>Uhh what, why?

Well, its -30 outside, you're sitting in your chair and drinking coffee, while your car is idling for 20-30 minutes. You leave the house and get into an already warmed up car. And If there was rain and your doors froze, with remote start if you left the heater on, your doors will simply unfreeze from the inside.

Furthermore, a carburetor engine in general is less likely to start in cold winter.
>>
>>27637823
>you're sitting in your chair and drinking coffee
I don't drink coffee though.
>You leave the house and get into an already warmed up car
Nope, I just jump in, turn the engine over and bare the cold. If it's too cold, put on more clothing.
>And If there was rain and your doors froze, with remote start if you left the heater on, your doors will simply unfreeze from the inside.
There's no rain if it's -30c, but if the doors are frozen stuck then pull harder.
>Furthermore, a carburetor engine in general is less likely to start in cold winter.
Sure, but I've never had issues with mine. Last winter I had a diesel truck, fully mechanical injection and even at -32c it turned over just fine. Only issue was fuel becoming too viscous, so I had to start it with pure diesel and then switch over slowly.
>>
>>27637832
What did you use other than pure diesel?
>>
>>27637839
Waste motor oil (or any other oil really from brake fluid to hydraulic oil) with 10% 98 octane petrol mixed in for taste
>>
>>27637832
based third world standard of living
my 10 year old cuckover has remote start, so on cold mornings I fire it up when I'm finishing breakfast. If it's remote started and the outside air is below 5C it automatically turns the heater to max, plus the seat heaters and heated steering wheel. By the time I get out there the ice is melted off the side windows and the cabin is just starting to warm but the seats and steering wheel are toasty, and after about 2 minutes of driving the vents are blowing hot air
I will never own a winter car that doesn't have a heated steering wheel again. The heater could be broken in -20 and I wouldn't give a fuck as long as my hands are gripping a hot wheel instead of a circle shaped block of ice
>>27637851
>Waste motor oil (or any other oil really from brake fluid to hydraulic oil) with 10% 98 octane petrol mixed in for taste
unironically based

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.