[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_5799.jpg (489 KB, 1423x1026)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
>getting a side by side as a daily driver

How retarded would this be? I live in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains on a 300 acre farm and work 7 miles from where I live. Been thinking getting of these as a DD. It’s easy to make them street legal, although I feel like there’s a lot of downsides I’m not considering. Other option is getting a KTM 300 2 stroke and plating it.
>>
UTV are the gayest shit on the planet. They cost as much as a damn car and are super fragile.
>>
>>27768993
geo tracker
>>
>>27768993
ive been in a lot of different ones since they first started getting popular. we have a farm and use them for that and have friends who offroad in them. i hear people drive them around all over the place in arizona. theyre fun but i still prefer a truck or suv. a regular ol' vehicle comes with a sealed cabin, a/c and heat, radio, and can drive long distance if you need to go somewhere.
>>
>>27768993
>all of the downsides of a motorcycle
>all of the downsides of a SUV
>all of the downsides of a coupe
>all of the downsides of a convertible
Bruh just get an old Miata and slap a lift kit and some knobbies at least people will think you're fun
>>
>>27769051
picrel
>>
Never owned one, but from people who have it sounds like they get abysmal fuel economy for their size. Although granted most people don't drive them street speeds on pavement much.

If you want something dirt cheap, just get a dual sport or an old ass truck, or preferably both, I think both would be pretty based.
>>
>>
>waaaaahhhhh modern vehicles are too big and heavy
>waaaaahhhhh this vehicle is too small and light

Ahhh fucking /o/. The Tism never stops.
>>
>>27769086
I don't look like that and don't say that.
>>
>>27768993
All fun and games till you have to ride to work when it’s 30 degrees with freezing rain
>>
>>27769113
Just get doors
>>
>>27768993
Certain death in a crash with a real vehicle.
>>
>>27769092
Gem
>>
>>27769195
Same applies to motorcycles and 30+ year old shitboxes.
>>
I Imagine the engine and transmission would not hold up.
>>
File: palio.webm (1.15 MB, 408x720)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB WEBM
>>27769037
fiat palio
>>
>>27769086
Dude it's a scooter with a bodykit
>>
>>27769935
Show me a 100+ hp scooter. These things have the same longevity as a car.
>>
>>27769940
They don't.
>>
Why do the limit the speed on these to 80?
>>
>>27768993
Dirtbike is much more fun if you have another vehicle for actually hauling cargo. Also consider a plated wide-ratio 450 like a WR450F.
>>
I don’t think they’re street legal. Just get a dual sport motorcycle. That’s how I got to work when I was a ranch hand.
>>
>>27768993
>>27768993
You want to be a chad that makes white babies, get the 300. Your drivers license will be at risk though, cops have a pavlovian response to plated dirt bikes.
>>27769021
Are you what passes for a motorhead these days? When I was young, all I wanted was a fast offroader with good suspension, so I rode motos because that was all I could afford on a carpenter's wage. A serious Ultra4 or sand rail was out of my reach and still is. However, a turbo utv is ready to haul serious butt and can be had used for ~$20k. They can't be beat for speed in rough terrain per dollar (except for motos).
You're probably in the goat roper/ crawler camp so I wouldn't expect you to get it.
>>
>>27768993
The dirtbike would be way more fun.
>>
>>27769940
I work on these for a living, your claim couldn't be further from the truth
>>
I used to do a seasonal job out in the woods and the local booze cruisers would drive them up the road to the local bar shitfaced and leave shitfaced. Good times, nice people
>>
>>27771337
They're gay because they (1) destroy trails even faster than quads do and (2) removed a barrier to entry, the controls difference. UTV drivers tend to be extremely trashy even by off-roading standards.
>>
>>27768993
They tend to be very loud, you're gonna need ear protection every time you drive or you'll end up with hearing degradation. Not good for cold weather either unless you're just gonna tough it out. They have some with windscreens or one can easily be added with a cut clear sheet of plastic. I'd recommend one with a bed or two seating rows for DD so you can actually transport some cargo. I was gonna get a Honda Pioneer since it seems to be the cheapest.
>>
>>27769021
>super fragile.
I've taken a Polaris Ranger through terrain no fucking offroad vehicle could ever go, and beat it to absolute shit. It was actually a patrol vehicle for search & rescue so technically a police vehicle. If cops can't manage to break it, it's definitely not fragile. I've banged it up and once forgot to turn off the parking break, thought it was stuck and just floored it. Eventually figured out it wasn't stuck the brake was just on, but flooring it for a couple minutes didn't blow the engine.
>>
>>27768993
sorry you were 5 minutes late to an interview for a job we don't want you to have anyways so now we're gonna spend $20k on annoying assholes and complain about you not knowing exactly what we want you to do. We do this cause we're the smartest living beings to ever exist in the universe and can do nothing wrong. Also you have to become famous while you have bedbugs or we'll kill you, this will help you succeed because we know exactly what's best for every single person on earth because we're better than God.
>>
The rear end is probably always locked
>>
>>27769057
>I use rubber seal to protect my door
>also I drill holes in the body for the wheel cover
>>
>>27772026
How would this be a negative?
>>
>>27772026
Unlike yours, bottom boy
>>
File: IMG_4708.jpg (1.65 MB, 2592x1944)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>27771337
>>27771274
>>27771263
>>27771350
I have ridden dirt bikes on and off my whole life and nothing beats the sound of a 2 stroke. However I’m now older, with 2 kids and recently broke 6 ribs in a wreck on my dirt bike. Coupled with a lifelong friend of mine just died a week ago on a dirtbike in a freak accident has me somewhat leery of getting one for heavy street use (if I had a plated 300 noway I could resist temptation to ride it to work daily). I’ve always considered UTV to be fake and gay but I also am not trying to die or become a cripple while having 2 small kids. Plus they can ride with me in a utv when they’re older.
>>
>>27772115
Fucking pussy
>>
>>27768993
basedjak
>>
>>27772115
Dirt bikes are one of the most useless things to buy.

>can only hold one person
>uncomfortable on roads
>most aren’t street legal
>street legal ones are worst of both worlds

Absolutely the worst possible choice
>>
>>27769021
Actual contrarian retard
>>
>>27772029
It's not my car
>>
>>27772115
Bro a UTV isn’t any safer than a dirtbike. If you get hit by a car there’s a high chance you’re going to die regardless. And if it’s not getting hit by a car, it’s some kind of user error retardation. Don’t ride your bike drunk, don’t do 85 down a country road, just don’t even retarded.
>>
>>27772187
>worst of both worlds
A plated 300 gives away fuck-all in performance. Maybe six lbs, the weight of a gallon of fuel. Anyways, "It aint the bike, it's the rider"
A man that can twist its tail is a God amongst the flea bitten rabble. My grandma can cruise one down to the store for some smokes but it takes a genuine badass to pull the trigger in high traction conditions.
I'm not arguing that they're good commuter machines, they're not unless you're a special breed with a short and preferably dirt commute.
>>
>>27772377
Statistically he’s correct.

>atv deaths per year 500 average
>dirtbike deaths 300
>utv 30

I’m sure most people don’t DD them like his dumbass is wanting to do but they are objectively the safest thing that isn’t an actual vehicle

>>27772393
>commuting on a 2 stroke
>>
>>27772115
I hear ya on the danger aspect, we all should try to stay away from hospitals and the quacks they harbor.
The gang here only sees the negatives of utvs but they're a great thing for families. Funny how kids love them and wankers hate em. I'm no fan of the drunks and spics that drive them out here but it's like anything else, you have to be careful who you hang around. The people we ride utvs with are all sucessful, well rounded people that don't drink too much and they come armed with interesting conversations. Head down to the wrong end of town and you'll find the kind to get mad if you use multi-syllable words.
>>
>>27772377
dirt biking is about the most dangerous hobby you can have short of shooting yourself
>>
>>27772022
Why don't you make like a tree and fuck off, schizonigger namefag. Beat it.
>>
>>27772424
Thanks Safety Officer Mbugu. Fishing is more dangerous but it's ok to be a scaredy cat, everyone is a big ol pussy these days
>>
>>27768993
>price starts @ $24K
lmao

They should cost less than $1-2K.
>>
>>27772428
I literally have plates and screws in my leg and will never be able to run again thanks to a shitty little 250cc dirt bike
>>
>>27772436
Sucks to suck, everyone has horror stories. I'm just razzing ya, I cracked my pelvis on my 450x, hip swelled up like a basketball and I stood on one leg for six months.
Yeah they're dangerous, but people get fucked up stepping off the porch wrong.
Skill changes the odds a lot, but they'll never be a safe pastime. Better get vaxxed
>>
>>27772436
>thanks to a shitty little dirt bike
Kek, people never take responsibility. Their ego won't let them.
Here's the thing about bikes: they have no mind of their own. If a horse fucked you up, I'd believe it was the horses's fault- they're dumb and hysterical.
On a bike, (YOU) are the captain of your destiny. You'll come up with all sorts of ways that it's the bike's fault, but it never is. You were the one [not] in control. You can't blame the bike when you were at the helm.
>>
Side by sides are all the downsides of a econoshitbox and ATV. They’re underpowered, exposed, fragile, and get dogshit gas milage. They’re literally built for and marketed to fat old boomers that can’t or don’t know how to ride dirt bikes, but cost as much as a worn in mid-2000s taco. Don’t daily a side by side.
>>
>>27772462
every single person whos ridden a dirt bike for more than a year or two has broken something, usually an ankle
>>
>>27772534
>underpowered

I agree except this, 150 HP on 1600lbs is no slouch

>>27772551
kek this is true.
>>
>>27772428
>t. underage who hasnt experienced getting older
>>
Why do you want so many cold starts and trips on your fancy toys? Get a cheap beater to commute look up 01-08 Trailblazers can be had for free.
>>
>>27772843
>Why do you want so many cold starts

kek do people really try to limit cold starts on stuff? Fuck I do most of my riding in cold weather.
>>
>>27772682
Kek, Nixon was pres when I was born.
Maybe it's my generation but I still bomb coaster wheelies and do triples off the rope swing. Arrested development and brain damage helps with that.
You guys sound like my wife, she's terrified of dirt bikes.
>>
>>27772854
Yes. Cold starts are hell on your engine.
>>
>>27773226
lol holy fuck cope
>>
I archive UTV
I archive UTV

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.