[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2345345.jpg (368 KB, 940x468)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
Is this a normal amount of rust for '99?
>>
File: 1234234.jpg (296 KB, 940x402)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
2/2
>>
Looks pretty good for 1999.
>>
Looks like mostly surface rust, there's still a lot of meat on those frame rails. It's fine.
>>
>>27772976
>>27772979
from the pictures, it looks like its still solid
got at it with a needle gun and a wirebrush, spray it with rust converter, then a proper undercoat.
>>
Thats nothing

Just give it scrub and some owatrol or something
>>
Fully galvanized body chads ww@?
>>
>>27772976
I don't see any rust down there.
>>
>>27772976
See >>27772985
Preventing and treating early rust is free compared to dealing with a rotting frame
>>
More rust on my 1994 and I ain't worried about it.
>>
Nice, thanks, anons
>>
>>27772976
Wire brush any loose debris off then spray it with some cosmoline. Itll stop the rust from growing/spreading and dries into a smooth dry surface
>>
Looks good to me but I'm from New England. If you can do better you should, any rust is bad.
>>
>>27772976
>>27772979
It's fine. Go at it with a wire wheel on an angle grinder, then PAINT it. Do not listen to the fucking retards telling you to slobber some oily greasy waxy bullshit on there. Paint is the correct, best coating for your frame. Paint got it from 99 to now, keep it painted and it will last longer than you.
>>
>>27773148
This.
just make sure you get ALL of the rust, make that metal shine before thinking about putting paint on. Otherwise the rust will fester underneath the paint for a while before you notice anything.
That or use a rust-prevention primer...
>>
>>27772976
>my car looks worse than this and it's a 2014
Rust belt bros...
>>
>>27773148
1) rust converter first is a good idea because he will NOT get rid of ALL the rust, and you don't want to paint over any rust
2) a proper undercoat is a good idea because the bottom of a vehicle is exposed to a shitload more wear from all the various stones/gravel/debris that are present in roads.

"just clean it all and then paint it" is good advice for body panels, not for the undercarriage.
>>
Thanks, Anons. If I get the truck I'll probably go at it with a wire brush and some type of rust converter and tractor paint or rustoleum. POR-15 looks interesting but seems a lot of people don't like it, say paint is better. Will look into it more.
>>
>>27772976
this is not major and can be saved very easily, dont wait till its too late, this is not too late.
>>
>>27773074
>Wire brush any loose debris off then spray it with some cosmoline.
oh my god my car could smell like an SKS forever
>>
>>27772976
Looks good, bit better than my 06
>>
>>27772976
That is considered mint in wisconsin, enjoy it.
>>
>>27772985
No, undercoat is wrong. The rest of what you said is right but actual rust proofing is more like a spray on petroleum jelly. They make specialty spray cans that are basically the thing Ziebart charges $1,000 for. The undercoating product, spray on undercoating can and frequently does trap water behind it and causes more rust and more decay. It's no good.
>>
>>27773496
yea, by undercoating i was thinking more along the lines of stonechip or something else specifically designed to go under there
if you have any concrete recommendations you're sure of, by all means post specifics
>>
>>27773295
1) Yeah, rust converter is good shit. Really hard to get all the rust without it.
2) Fuck you, you're wrong. I use clear bedliner over the paint in truly high damage areas like wheelwells, but everywhere else is better with just paint. It really does not wear that quickly and any damage is easy to repair with a wire wheel and some more paint. It takes very little time, effort, or skill to keep ahead of it.
>>
>>27773499
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b10275677/

...and to be clear, I'm just saying the spray on rubberized undercoating is bad. That's what most people mean when they say to spray on undercoating. I'm all for using all the methods you mentioned to eliminate rust and then painting it with a rust stopping paint. I would however, spray the shit out of the inside of the frame and then put a coating on the outside too after you're all done, because why not. Most of what you spray on exposed areas will rinse off the first time you drive in the rain, but that's not the place someone should be worried about rust forming anyway. Rather, it's in the cracks, the seams, the welds, the interior etc.. I mean sure, the outside of that frame looks fine but it could also be rusting on the inside even worse.
>>
>>27772976
Rust spreads exponential.
unless you live in a desert.
>>
>>27772976
This truck is a buy all day long. For a 99 Chevy truck it looks great, would go for $10k or more here in Canada. Most posters in this thread have never seen real rust, there's no need for a wire brush and panic on that truck. I've bought and sold a ton of these, here's what I see that catches my eye:

- ebrake cable isn't snapped
- still has paint on the frame
- rockers look good
- body mounts look good
- no rust on the seams of the floor
- bilsteins and skidplates so it's a Z71 or at the very least has the factory lift dealer installed
- no obvious signs of typical seepage from rear end or rear main seal

Get those sidesteps off of there and seal up the self tapper holes into the rockers, get this thing OIL undercoated (never ever rubberized), and get a transmission service - it'll be a reliable truck for 10+ years with basic maintenance. Another problem spot is under the fender flares, but most 99s wouldn't have the big ones that cause issues.

One thing that is going to be a PITA is that alot of the small electrical shit that breaks on these will be harder to find since you have a 99-02 and the majority of these trucks are the 03-07 Classic.

GOBBLESS HOSS, ENJOY THE RIG, DON'T LET THAT BITCH BARBARA TAKE IN THE DIVORCE !! THIS IS BIG DAVE SIGNING OFF
>>
>>27772976
lol meanwhile my 91 gq has rust holes in the driver floorpan where my feet go
im fred flinstones YABBADABBAAAAAADOOOOOOO
>>
>>27772985
This but instead of rust converter use cold galvanizing spray.
>>
>>27774540
Also any time hardware is taken off replace for zinc galvanized stuff. never stainless.
bolts and washers and nuts.
>>
Is this ok for a 2004?
>>
>>27774547
>zinc galvanized stuff
Zinc chromate, of course. Regular zinc simply won't do. You'll know because it's that weird golden coating that looks like an oil spill.
>>
>>27773023
>Preventing and treating early rust is free compared to dealing with a rotting frame
Cheaper. I drive a Mazda so the rust problem requires constant vigilance, and the first thing I do as soon as I can get under the car is to treat rust early and aggressively. Doesn't matter how so long as I can prevent more oxygen from getting through.

I have to budget some time to replace rear shocks though. I probably should, they're 150k miles old and the last round of driving in Michigan popped holes in them.
>>
>>27773391
>oh my god my car could smell like an SKS forever
Just air it out in the summer and it'll only smell like an auto parts store for one season instead of three.
>>
>>27772979
>>27772976
Aw hell OP that's damn near nothing. You'd be surprised how rotten a car can get and still be drivable even with real functional damage.

Grind off the surface and use a rust preventer or something, you can go as fancy as chemical treatments suggested in the thread but given what I see some real basic work should keep the frame happy for another 20 years.
>>
>>27772976
Nigga that is literally surface rust and nothing at all. You could leave it like that for the next 40 fucking years and it won't do anything.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.