[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Might be able to get my hands on a 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo.

What I'm in for?
>>
>>27773522
All the usual problems inherent in 35 yr old cars plus whatever unique bullshit the previous owners have fucked up or ignored
>>
>>27773522
Rust like any old Toyota.
>>
>>27773522
If you're up for the care, I think they're one of the coolest most aesthetic cars out there.
>>
>>27773522
Get ready to get mogged by crossovers that arent even racing. Also blowing the turbo or head gasket, various electrical problems , oil burning, coolant leaks, rattling plastic & panels.

Then if you boost it to the point where you keep up with modern crossovers, you're going to spin out and crash if it doesn't blow up first
>>
>>27773522
They're fairly heavy, softly sprung, and they don't corner very well as the chassis has a fair amount of flex in it. Also aforementioned headgasket woes, which can be remedied fairly easily. Nice for croozing tho. It was designed to be a GT for yuppies in the 80s to bomb down the highway in. It wasn't designed to be a balls out time attack machine. I personally think it's the best looking Supra. Nice clean lines.
>>
>>27773522
its the cope poopra when you can't afford the paul walker one everyone actually wants. it still has a 2JZ, but the tranny isn't nearly as strong as the MK IV poopra.
>>
>>27773522
>What I'm in for?
Overpriced weeb machine that you'll have to LS swap to get any power out of.
>>
>>27773556
>can't keep up with cuckovers
>head gasket blow outs
>burning oil
>le eltriks
>coolant leak
>the rattling things
sounds like my shitbox saturn but way cooler. sign me up.

invoke boomer burnout turning left at intersection next to a tesla
>>
>>27773522
Depressing slowness and headgasket issues.
>>
>>27773612
No it doesn't, retard. And the R154 is plenty strong, it's just got a shitty feeling shifter (since it's literally a truck transmission) and one less gear.
>>
>>27773522
1JZ swap and it's a top tier GT
>>
>>27773522
check for cracked subframes, rust around the spare tire compartment. also check beneath the mudflaps for any mud and leaves that would accumulate there. ask the owner if he torqued the head gasket. if you have to change the gasket, use api studs instead of the oem.
>>
>>27773522
old car problems. hope for the best but expect the worst. if you’re a wrenchlet you shouldn’t even look at this car funny. it doesn’t matter if it’s a toyota. shit’s getting decrepit.
>>
I like this better than the A80
>>
>>27773522
Slow and hard to get parts, I bet. It's a cool car, though, I worked at a Pontiac / Toyota dealer in 1989 and this and the Turbo Trans Am were boss.
>>
>>27773626
If that's the case, I'll just get a third-gen Firebird like >>27775424 says.
>>
File: 1394435019034.jpg (6 KB, 216x234)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>i know nothing about this car but i want one anyway
cant wait to see this wrapped around a pole or stanced in 6 months
>>
File: 7mgte.jpg (108 KB, 986x439)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>27773612
>it still has a 2JZ
You know, if you learned how to read Toyota model codes, you might not look like a retard right now.
>>
Interior work. The past 35 summers have cooked all the plastic to the point that even closing the door runs the risk of something braking.
>>
>>27775596
i don't care about about some shitty weeb car to ever remember its anything codes.
>>
>>27776494
>I don't care enough to actually know what I'm talking about but BY GOD I'm still going to pretend to be an authority on the subject anyway
Based stereotypical /o/ poster
>>
>>27776503
>it has this boat anchor that starts with 1 instead of this other boat anchor that starts with 2
>STOP LARPING AS IF YOU WATCHED AS MUCH FAST AND FURIOUS AS I HAVE!
gumena sai weeb nigger.
>>
>>27776525
>didn't know which engine it came with
>didn't know anything about the gearbox
>didn't know the OP image didn't have a JZ engine at all anyway
>still gives his opinion anyway
Don't stop buddy, I love reading those sort of posts I really do.
>>
>didn't know which boat anchor it came with
>apparently sam hyde doesn't know anything about the gearbox of his own car, either, because he also said it was weak
>didn't know the OP image didn't have the famous family of boat anchors
>despite all of this, apparently the general consensus is that the car is shit anyway and no one seems to be contesting this
gumena sai, weeb nigger.
>>
>>27776552
>accidentally forgot to reply>>27776529
gumena sai, again, weeb nigger.
>>
>>27776552
>sam hyde is your authority on R154 gearboxes
Lol it keeps getting better.
Holding true to the general trend on /o/ of the less you know the stronger your opinions, very amusing anon.
>>
>>27776557
considering he's owned one, that would immediately make him more of an authority than anyone here.
>>
>>27776560
How many has he broken?
>>
>>27776563
(1) that he owns.
>>
>>27776566
What power level did he break it at and how did it break?
>>
>>27776568
he didn't mention its power level in that video. he probably broke it doing pulls and launches, since i remember him mentioning that he probably weakened the tranny just by doing that in a video where he's talking to nick.
>>
>>27776570
Wow what a great source of detailed information you're basing your opinions on
>>
>>27776570
You should kill yourself
>>
>>27776573
better than the fangirls who merely know its boat anchor codes. at least he's owned one.
>>
>>27776578
I would if i were wasting money on a car like the OP that is (objectively not my opinion) shit.
>>
>>27776579
Let me tell you what an ACTUAL great source of detailed information sounds like:
>yeah I drag race Supras
>at about X hundred horsepower (or a torque figure) you start to break input shafts with sticky tyres if you launch too hard
>yeah I've broken 3 like that so far
You could form a strong opinion off that, not "yeah I think I probably weakened my tranny bro" from some wrenchlet.

But keep being you that's what makes it so enjoyable to come to /o/.
>>
>>27776589
Yea, you're right. i trust the fan girls who know their boat anchor codes over a guy who's owned one.

gumena sai, weeb nigger.
>>
>>27776596
>why yes I do base my strong opinions off hearing the vaguest of vague information second hand
>no I didn't bother to actually look it up before I posted
>how could you tell?
Because you're posting on /o/
>>
>>27776600
I just said you were right and the guy who owns one is wrong. you don't have to act like some woman who's pronouns were disrespected.

gumena sai, weeb nigger. gumena sai gumena SAI!
>>
>>27776605
Whats sad is you posting like an expert when you have zero clue
But it's also amusing so I don't mind bro
>>
>>27776607
I hope i can memorize as many boat anchor codes as you, onii chan. only then, will i ascend past the baka poopra owners like sam.
>>
>>27776611
Or maybe just cool it with the strong opinions?
>>
>>27776624
yes, yes. the MK III poopra is a good car with a good tranny.
>>
>>27776632
That's better lad
>>
>>27776570
>he probably broke it doing pulls and launches
lmao, ANY gearbox will break when you abuse it. that being said, if you actually bother to preload the drivetrain before launching, you greatly extend the life of the gearbox

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.