[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1489.jpg (2.35 MB, 4864x2393)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
I bought an ‘05 Grand Marquis a few weeks ago. It has 73k miles. After my mechanic gave it a once over, he told me everything looks good.

I’m getting terrible gas mileage though. Something like 12 city and 20 highway.

Is this normal? Anything I could do to improve it?
>>
>>27775415
In my '00 Grand Marquis I got like 24 highway. Don't remember city, but it was more than 12 although I rarely used to ac.

Buy a k&n air filter
>>
>>27775439
I have had the AC blasting every time I drive because it’s been 100 degrees or more every day. I guess that could be affecting the MPG.

I will definitely get a K&N. Guy who sold it to me put on a new one just before he sold it to me but it’s a cheap Fram from Walmart.
>>
>>27775439
Don't do this, get the most restrictive air filter you can find. Better yet, install a restrictor plate
You'll lose power obviously but if gas mileage is your goal manifold vacuum is the name of the game
>>
>>27775415
>buy landbarge with V8
>surprised when it gets bad fuel economy
>>
>>27775415
I have a crown vic with the 3.27 Trac Lock rear end. I drive with a heavy foot, mostly city, usually get 13-14 mpg mixed.
>>
File: Town Car mpg.png (82 KB, 581x219)
82 KB
82 KB PNG
>>27775415
>12 city and 20 highway.
>Is this normal
No. Try to keep your speed between 35-70mph. It's the real sweet spot for these since you're into O/D(depending on gearing, 2.73 cars aren't into o/d until 43mph) but not fighting a lot of extra drag. I have 3.27s like this guy >>27775502 but I see more highway and I also drive with a light foot.
>>
>>27775415
No. If you aren't making short hwy trips or driving over 70, check:
MAF
Plug gap
Air filter
Coolant temperature (scantool)

Ford gauges are not representative of actual data. I had a thermostat stuck open and was getting terrible milage(8-14). Didn't know because after 10 minutes the gauges just sit in their normal range position. I also bought multiple new thermostats that opened at 160 before getting one that opened at the advertised temperature.
>>
>>27775415
Sounds about right, I remember my crown vic was similar and I think it had 3.27 rear axle ratio.
>>
>>27775415

My dad has a grand marquis, they are fun to drive cars cause of RWD. Bad gas mileage can be a number of things, from a bad oxygen sensor to a vacuum leak. Get a scanner up to it that reads real time data and youtube how to interpret it, you are probably running rich.
>>
>>27775502
that's the same gear ratio the nyc taxi package vics had. they did decent on gas for what they were.
>>
>>27775415
Had an 04 i bought with 49k miles with the HPP and 3.27 rear gear, averaged 19mpg and it was mostly freeway at 80-85mph over 60k miles.
>>
>>27775977
Ethanol free fuel back then too
>>
>>27775415
Something is wrong. Change spark plugs and mass airflow sensor. I have a blown plug in my 09 even without it fixed right I still get 15ish mpg in the city. But yeah anything over 20 on the highway is considered exceptional

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.