[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1706372178510652.gif (4 MB, 360x360)
4 MB
4 MB GIF
My 2014 Audi A4 makes a strange "clicking" or "ticking" sound mostly when I do right turns at a certain speed and angle of turn. If it's a large angle turn and I'm going at 20-30 mph around a round about it happens. It also happens when pulling out of a junction to the right. The odd time it also happens with left turns. Once the car is straight it stops. If I am driving straight it never happens, even when driving over speed bumps or potholes.
It seems to be coming from the right side of the car and I've jacked it up, played with the wheel and there's no sign any movement in the wheel. I also took the wheel off and had a look at the CV joint, which is also fine. I had a broken spring in the right side of the car and assumed it was that, but I had that replaced and the sound still happens.
Any idea what it could be, /o/?
>>
>>27777084
clicking might indicate the wheel bearing going bad
>>
>>27777096
I did consider that and that's why I jacked it up, but the wheel doesn't feel like it has ruined bearings.
>>
>>27777104
But at this point I am considering changing the bearings just in case it is that.
>>
bump my nikkas
>>
It's your CV joint dude.
100% guaranteed.
>>
>>27777408
It looked fine though?
>>
>>27777408
>100% guaranteed.
How so?
>>
>>27777410
>>27777485
Nta but CVs are very hard to reproduce. My advice is get a new cv joint kit and replace just the joint and boot since aftermarket axles for audis are garbage. Its easy - remove the axle from the upright (turn it full lock itll come out without any bs), put the bolt back in the joint, and tighten it with an impact until the joint pops free from the axle, then remove the boot and joint. Install the new boot and hammer the new joint on then reinstall. I recommend spending the money on a good joint not chinese shit.

t. Just replaced my broken china axle with a refreshed junkyard oem one on my b5
>>
File: correct.gif (1.66 MB, 480x446)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB GIF
>>27777408
>>
>>27777516
I just replaced the spring and it was a fucking nightmare to do, not looking forward do doing this again.
>>
>>27777408
>It's your CV joint dude.
I came here to say this.
That description is very distinctive.
Glad this answer was in the top 5.
>>
>>27777566
I looked at the CV joint when I changed the spring. I had to take apart the entire right side to get to the spring because of how Audi designed it.
>>
>>27777408
>>27777516
>>27777529
Why are you convinced it's the CV joint? Can you show me a video or something of the sound?
>>
>>27777789
Bump
>>
>>27777789
Look under the car you imbecile. If the rubber at the joint is torn and there's grease everywhere make sure you test it thoroughly with some high speed cornering.
>>
>>27777789
Maybe we have had this problem in the past.
>>
>>27777408
This. The noise gets worse when you're beating on it while turning tightly.
>>
Going to repeat others and say it sounds like CV joint
>>
cv looks good and everything, transmits power, so called car is allready ten years old, might aswell drive till neighbours complain about noise or car moves no more
>>
Sounds like CV Joint but if you're certain it's not then check the control arms. The ball and socket bushings might be cooked.
>>
>>27777084
>audi
This is a McDonald's strutted car, like every single Audi to ever exist, so it's made to be recycled. Save your time money and effort and just trade it in. They're literally meant to be recycled and you're like 6 years out of warranty.
>>
>>27779362
Car runs well and has low milage, why would I get rid of it. I'm a new driver so my insurance premiums are high.
>>
>>27777789
Just Google it faggot. What OP described is textbook CV joint failure. A wheel bearing doesn’t click, it scrapes/rattles and is more dependent on speed than turn angle.
>>
>>27779669
Basically
>The odd time it also happens with left turns. Once the car is straight it stops. If I am driving straight it never happens, even when driving over speed bumps or potholes.
Means there’s a 99% chance it’s the CV joint. I forget which side the left turn means it on, think it means the right ones bad, but not 100% sure off the top of my head.
>the boots not torn
The boot doesn’t have to be torn for the joint to fail, but often the CV fails because of a torn boot.
>>
>>27779712
*left not right
The more extreme angle of the inner wheel puts more stress on the CV.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.