[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1705694809188.jpg (151 KB, 736x1553)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>tfw wrenchlet
>>
>>27826101
Is that you, with your broken car and engine light not knowing what to do out there?
>>
File: 373737373.jpg (592 KB, 2016x1134)
592 KB
592 KB JPG
>>27826101
>tfw I can replace my own batteries

How does it feel to pale in comparison?
>>
>>27826101
Just watch youtube. Some narcissist with the same car as you has already posted a video about how to wrench on your car.
>>
>>27826265
/thread
>>
>>27826265
Doesn't help. Even when it's a video in the same exact car when I try to do it myself nothing works it feels totally alien
>>
Sad
>>
>>27826802
Start small. Get a UJM motorcycle and do basic maintenance on that. Cam chain, oil changes possibly with a centrifugal oil filter. Ignition timing, valves, carb balance/tuning cleaning. All good simple non intimidating tasks that a beginner can try
>>
>>27826816
This.
I went the classic shitbox route myself. Bought a rusty 1949 ford and figured it out almost entirely with a 70 year old shop manual. Now fairly confident to wrench on simple things in my daily driver.
>>
>>27826101
>tfw wrenchful
Do literally everything from rebuilding engines and trannies. Havent been to a shop in over 10 years.
>>
>>27826802
YouTube is shitty and gay now
Read forums for your model and buy at least the Haynes or Chilton manual if not the factory service manual.
Although OG YouTubers are great, like Eric the Car Guy (GOAT if you have an old Honda) who show you how to do all the minor stuff correctly that modern YouTubers edit out. I probably got 80% of my wrenching knowledge from him.
>>
I know how to do small jobs on the car, mostly aesthetic stuff including spraying, but things like changing out break pads or doing engine swaps is so far beyond me I wanna cry.
>>
File: 1687444038168387.jpg (125 KB, 948x1024)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>tfw finally successfully completed an oil change
>7 years after my first failed attempt
>1.5 years after I said to myself I should do it for my current car
Feels good man
>>
>>27831356
how do you fail an oil change?
>>
>>27831350
Bro brake pads are like the easiest thing beyond fluids. People just get nervous because of how important they are, but it’s extremely straight forward since you’re not opening the hydraulic system.

Fundamentally it’s like changing the air filter, but with more and bigger bolts involved. (Although don’t forget to grease the slide pins)
>>
>>27831563
>People just get nervous because of how important they are
That's exactly what it is. That's why I don't touch anything beyond aesthetics. I'll putty a door, I'll paint a door and enamel one, I'll install any kind of electronic or gadget you want, but I'm afraid of fucking something up that actually matters. I don't even change fluids.
>>
>>27831672
desu, get a service manual. It'll tell you what the torks are.
People made the car, and people service the car. Given the state of Michigan invalidated their law stating the service actually has to be completed, for example, you can't do any worse than a mechanic is allowed to get away with.
>>
File: images[1].jpg (8 KB, 225x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>27831507
Put the old oil back in
>>
>>27831563
Well there's also the fact you've gotta take the wheel off which is a daunting task for someone who's never worked on their own shit before.
>>
>>27826265
This double for baikus

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.