[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pinch_weld.jpg (432 KB, 1000x750)
432 KB
432 KB JPG
what is the proper place to use a hydraulic jack to lift a car for jack stand placement? the only "safe" jacking points in the service manual are pinch welds... but isn't that where the jack stands should go?
>>
Suspension components.
Subframe cross member.
>>
>>27829937
some cars actually have specific spots made exactly for jacks and jack stands
look for a round bulbous spot underneath the engine bay, usually it's shaped like a bowl

there's also some very obvious pieces of metal that don't seem to be used for anything, those tend to be the spots for jack stands for things like wheel swaps and changing oil, since it lifts the car enough to make those areas easy to get into and work on
>>
>>27829939
IMO you kind of want to avoid the suspension components themselves, but I often use where they attach to the frame/subframe
>>
>>27829937
I just jack right next to the pinch weld and then slide the stand in where it belongs. I figure they had to expect I'd do this so it'll be ok.
>>
>>27829937
there should be fairly obvious frame rails running the length of your car's midsection, they're thick and square and stand out from the rest of the car's underside. I only ever use pinch welds when I've had to use the scissor jack for a tire change, it fits perfectly onto them.
I recently started using a beam that runs under the motor of my car widthwise, it's a jacking point according to the manual and it fits my jack stand perfectly.
>>
Usually I put my jacks/stands either under shock absorbers or spring cups.
>>
>>27830278
> look for a round bulbous spot underneath the engine bay, usually it's shaped like a bowl
this anon is a liar, don’t listen to him.
Unless you’re brown (or jewish), then ignore what I just said.
>>
>>27829937
hockey puck, optionally with a slit cut into it so the pinch weld can neatly fit and not get crushed when you jack it up with a floor jack
>>
We had this thread two days ago
>>
>>27830910
>USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!
Back to you're containment forum, boomer
>>
>>27829937
Crossmember
Diff
>>
File: 20240722_085645.jpg (3.61 MB, 4160x3120)
3.61 MB
3.61 MB JPG
>>27829937
you really shouldn't be lifting on the pinch welds, that's why they get all bent up. you want to find more structural stuff underneath like the subframes or torque boxes or something like pictured. you don't have to lower the car all the way down on the floor jack either just some weight so if the jack fails you don't die so it does have to damage the pinch weld unless the jack fails.
>>
If it's a unibody it might have a reinforced spot.
>>
what about jacking on the pinch welds and jack stands on an underside piece of metal? bad idea?
>>
>>27833070
you can, but the jack stands are usually U shaped so not really ideal to put them on flat metal, but it's common for people to put them under solid axles.
>>
>>27833070
Ive supported a car on pinch welds with jack stands + V-cut pads but I will never jack up a car by the pinch welds. Don't want to fucking bend em. I really would avoid it if you can...
>>
>>27833070
>>27833589
if you need to jack up by pinch welds use a hockey puck on the pad. cut a slot into it so it doesnt ruin the pinch weld
>>
>>27829937
Big bolts.
>>
>>27834941
based big bolt bastard
>>
File: IMG_20200303_182856.jpg (232 KB, 1490x1091)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
Right there :3
>>
>>27829937
Even on unibody cars you usually jack up from the middle of the suspension cross member or body (basically in the middle spot of the control arms)
>>
>>27829937
On my shitbox I just put the jack slightly further down the pinch weld. Like 4" or so, just enough to make room to slide the jackstand in the proper position. Haven't had any problems yet.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.