[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG-20230611-WA0017.jpg (238 KB, 1200x1600)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
The original head unit (RNS 510) of my Passat B7 just died and won't turn on at all anymore. I was looking into the options i have to replace it.
I don't want to spend absurd amounts of money, so a lot aftermarket solutions just aren't feasible. But i found the RCD330+ and several Android Head Units within the desired price range.
Has anyone tried some of those chinese Android HUs and some experience to share? I mostly want to retain all the original features, like the steering wheel controls, rear camera and optical parking sensors.
Are there any things to look out for?
>>
>>27831149
Get the OEM unit fixed an/o/n
>Aftermarket screens are either chinkshit or really expensive chinkshit
>>and they always look terrible
>>
>>27831149
get an OEM replacement from a junkyard or used parts place
>>
If you want to keep all the OEM features definitely get an OEM unit.
And even on my shitboxes I would never get an aftermarket unit with a touchscreen. I just get the 00’s style ones with Bluetooth.
>>
>>27831250
tbf, the OEM unit is from 2010 and not exactly a masterpiece. repairing it may actually cost as much as just getting another one new, which is the main reason i haven't done so already
>>
>>27831149
There are no good huds with computer technology. If you want computer technology, get a computer technology and then bolt it on a car. Every single car specific "computer" is absolutely made of grade A trash
>>
>>27831149
If it were my car I would get a single din radio and if you cant live without screen one with a pop out display and then a storage hole underneath.
>>
>>27831149
Are you installing it yourself? You may need other modules to retain proper factory integration.
>>
I have an e90 with iDrive OEM
replaced my screen with an linux powered one
it basically hijacks all input to the idrive and shows Android auto or apple carplay, it has basically 0 functionality on its own
All the steering wheel buttons work, has built in mic, idrive controller works, etc
at any time you can switch back to the OEM system by holding down the menu button on my controller

thats it
it just works
those chinks know what they are doing, I dont know how the VAG shit works but I bet they figure it out as well
>>
>>27831344
yes, i'm replacing it myself
>>27831333
nothing against single DIN radios, but i do find the screen pretty convenient. otherwise i would have just popped in some radio that i currently have in another car
>>
>>27831374
Check your vehicle on Crutchfield to see what extra modules you may need, you'll likely need more than one wiring harness as well. Go with the headunit that has the most ram, otherwise you may end up with something slow and irritating. Not all units handle mirroring your phone in the best way. I'm not sure about Android units across the board, but most Pioneer, Alpine etc touchscreens require a parking brake bypass chip for video while in gear. That said the unit I had didn't need, obviously ymmv. Also depending on the room in your dash, you might want to solder and heat shrink the connections vs the bulk of butt connectors. De-pinning unused wires cleans things up a bit as well.
>>
>>27831149
>tfw no android head
Bros robomaids can't be that far away, right?
>>
>>27831321
I'll say it again forever:
OEM is always the way, unless you're swapping across the same manufacturer and era
>looks better
>features werk
>higher resale value
>>aftermarket head unit, especially on an otherwise bone stock car, hints at electrical spaghetti

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.