[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What’s the point of doing my own oil change if I can get it done for 20 at the shop
>>
>>27831665
You want to pay another mehanic 600-700 bucks to fix what the Teenager at the oil change shop fucked up?

Where are you getting oil changes for 20 anyways? Most places are charging 40 or more.
>>
>>27831665
20 bucks is a pretty convenient price, but your trusting a stranger who accepted $20 for an oil change to not fuck your shit up with stripped drain plugs or not putting in the wrong oil or even recycled oil. No way fag, either pay the big goy monies at a reputable place or do it yourself knowing it's being done right.
>>
The oil is whatever they have.
his impact is tightening your drain plug
he won't write on the filter when it was changed
you don't get to do anything physical, instead you keep on your spinny chair

Sure, if you have to go in and get out fast to go to your meeting to meet up with fellow 50 year old executives, get it done at a shop. That person isn't a car enthusiast, just a driver.
>>
>>27831665
Someone else can fuck your wife too while you're at it
>>
oil changes in my area start at $175

min 1 hr labor per state law and the state labor board has ASM min wage at $110/hr. mexicans banned because they nail them on the dumping
>>
It takes 0 effort and maybe 20 minutes to do an oil change. Just driving to a shop would take more time. I keep oil and filters in stock.
>>
>>27831694
>175
is that like 13 quarts of diesel oil? or...... oh no 6 quarts in your generic commuter car.

I do say modern cars are annoying with having to remove the aero cover under the engine. That took longer then a normal oil change on older cars.
>>
>>27831665
>What’s the point of doing my own oil change if I can get it done for 20 at the shop
you get to retain your manhood, nu-male, wremchlet
>>
>>27831694
>mexicans banned because they nail them on the dumping
based
what state?
>>
>>27831703
my gook mobile has a hole in the aero cover for the oil filter, do other manufacturers really not do that?
>>
many shops will deliberately overtighten your plug just to fuck you over
>>
>>27831673
Been getting basic quick lubes for over 300k, every 15-25k miles
>>
File: Transit.jpg (437 KB, 1810x3536)
437 KB
437 KB JPG
>>27831758
>>
File: 1713140234217789.jpg (195 KB, 600x600)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>27831665
not fucking mine
they charge me $80 for some bullshit reason like >"uhh its a synthetic oil change so uhh we charge you extra"
>>
I get mine done for free. One of the advantages of buying new.
>>
File: 1710846165818338.jpg (67 KB, 850x607)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>27831665
>>
>>27831762
OP why are you driving a Pedo van?
>>
>>27831665
$20 but they put gutter grease in your engine.

They cheapest shop around here charges $100 for an oil change for my E90 and they put in some generic 5w30 Castrol. I pay $80 for top-tier 5w40 plus filter and takes me 20 minutes to change it.
It’s a no brainer.
>>
>>27832005
Basically this, I just go to Wal-Mart and buy whatever oil 5qt/$25 and a filter $12. Don't know how a shop is charging $20 when that doesn't buy the materials in the first place.
>>
>>27831665
The cheapest oil filter for my Euro shitbox costs around $20, and it's typically $60-70 just for oil and filter. $20 oil change only works if you're driving some economy car that uses 3-6 quarts of regular oil.
If you're the type of autist that spends hours reading forums and comparing filter brands that have been cut open, and things like the boron/moly/zinc content and SDS sheets of various oil brands then you'd never let some wrench monkey fill your oil with mystery fluid and an "economy" filter. I'm that type of autist.
>>
tfw they dont even do oil changes here, instead its called small service and its basically just an oil change but it cost hundreds
>>
they claim to rotate my tires but how the fuck am i supposed to trust them on that?
>>
>>27832015
because they buy the oil and filters in bulk at wholesale price and have a lift or pit so can change it in 5 minutes, while it takes you 15 minutes minimum.

although I still do my own oil change, because you can never quite be sure they aren't putting in gutter oil knock off filters to make an extra buck.

it can also be a loss (or just low margin) leader. If you can get 1 out of 20 oil change customers to also do something else like wipers, bulbs or brakes that's higher margin.
>>
>can't buy the oil and filter myself and just tell the mechanic to use them
>>
>>27831665
That's what I pay (i bring my own oil and filter) but I know the guy and watch and talk to him while he changes the oil. It's pretty much just $20 to dispose the oil and keep on his good side.
>>
>>27831665
oil changes are a good opportunity to inspect the rest of the undercarraige. no $20 lube joint is looking at anything besides the plug and filter
>>
>>27831989
Uh because I am one? duh?
>>
>>27831665
druggie fag will strip your drain plug, trust me I used to be that fag, then I moved up and watched other fags fag up cars
>>
>>27832038
mark them before you go in? Do you not know how to critically think?
>>
>>27832200
i dont know whats actually being rotated to mark it
>>
>>27832212
Write, on the inside edge of the tire, what position it's in on the car before you take it in
>FR, FL, BR, BL
>>
>>27831665
To circle jerk with your buds
>>
>>27831665
less risk of some retard grease monkey over-torqueing your filter and drain plug.

Also, $20 is suspiciously cheap. It's like a restaurant selling 10pc chicken nuggets for
$1.
>>
>>27831665
they will impact your drain plug on, untighten the old filter and leave it like that, will scratch up your paint/wheels/chrome, and might steal shit out yo glovebox
>>
>>27832189
Based Ham Radio Operator
>>
>>27831665
feels manly, simple as.
>>
They use their shitty generic oils and will fuck it up.
>>
>>27832038
If you can't tell they've been rotated they didn't need rotated anyway
>>
>buy $25 dollar synthetic oil
>buy $13 filter
>go to dealer
>get charged $29.95
>basically get free safety inspection while they're at it
Thank you, dealer.
>>
I'm at the point that every mechanic I've taken my cars to (even main dealers) have cut corners or used the cheapest shittiest parts possible that I do all my own maintanence out of sheer parinoia
>>
>>27831665
People who brag about changing their oil are the worst kind of wrenchlets, for me it depends if my mechanic has a free lift, if he does i go there if he doesn't i do it myself
I Always bring my own oil filters etc.
>>
>>27836607
The wrenchlets who pay for oil changes and service are fucking based if they're getting extreme longevity out of their car.
>>
>>27836682
I don't live in cuckmerica, both my tyre shop and simple mechanic stuff like this are free for me because I'm cool with the owners, i usually just buy a couple of cans of beer, and when I'm in a hurry not even that.
Shit like an oil change isn't worth my time/energy doing home, i will probably do them when one day i get a lift.
>>
>>27833832
>basically get free safety inspection
The lube techs are highschool drop outs. they don't look at shit.
>>
File: 1644706181527.gif (346 KB, 352x240)
346 KB
346 KB GIF
>>27831665
>I can get it done for 20 at the shop
>>
>>27836907
They do at my dealership
>steering has the faintest clunk but not junker status
>get oil
>anon your tie rod ends are shot
>dammit
>buy tie rods
>come back
>pls put these on and align
>car not clunking when I low speed turn now
It's based, yeah it cost $430 for the parts and labor but I don't fuck around with anything.
>>
>>27836859
What grand pursuit is your time/energy being spent on that you can't devote a small portion of it to maintaining your own vehicle?
>>
how do people sell their cars if they change their own oil? No proofs unlike mechanic stamps, engine could be fucked for all I know
>>
>>27838778
You write your own service records, you are writing your own service records right?
>>
>>27831665
Because the autists here who actually own a car tell themselves that crawling around in the dirt, grease and grime and motor oil all over their hands and clothes, and risking crushing themselves to death is "fun"
>>
>>27838731
Because changing oil and other small services are just chores if you're not a wrenchlet, there's no learning opportunity nor a challenge, it's like cleaning your dishes or scrubbing your toilet
>>
>>27831665
Being sure that the oil has been changed, you don't realise how many mechanics don't change it.
>>
>>27831665
>doing my own oil change
is that a sexual innuendo of sorts?
>>
>while you were out partying i was studying the wrench
>>
>>27831665
>What’s the point of doing my own oil change if I can get it done for 20 at the shop
You get it done right.

Unless you're dumber than the person that's willing to change your oil for $20 in which case, carry on.

Getting the shittiest possible person to change your oil using the shittiest possible consumables could not possibly go wrong.
>>
>>27838778
Record the service in the record and keep the receipts for the oil/filter/etc.

How is this complicated?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.