[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Will he ever get it done? Why haven't recumbent bikes taken any sort of hold on the market? Are they just shit? I have literally 0 idea how anything works, discuss.
>>
>>27833305
too much front caster to be ridable anywhere but the highway
>>
>>27833361
You can get around this with hub steering, but that adds unnecessary complexity and unsprung mass. It's been done before (Bimota) but simpler geometries are more successful.

>>27833305
Additionally, springing the entire thing is more of a challenge. Most of the loads that have to be sprung have a significant vertical component, so making the forks more vertical than horizontal makes springing them a lot simpler. The springs can just be in line with the forks, and since steel is strong in compression, the entire assembly is strong. With a more horizontal fork you get more shear / bending forces in them, which necessitates a more robust construction (increasing weight) and additional springing/damping in the horizontal direction (adding complexity and weight).

The only advantages I can see are
>lower center of gravity
This helps lean the bike, but lean angle isn't what makes a bike turn.
>improved stability thanks to longer wheelbase
This would help with highway riding, but it's not an issue on even the sportiest of road bikes.
>>
>>27833305
TLDR
They are heavier and more complex.
The problems they solve aren't actually problems with established designs, and they introduce a bunch of very real problems that other bikes don't have.
>>
>>27833416
You forgot the aerodynamic are really good on these qnd a lot of foot forwards.
>>
https://youtu.be/uk2ou5gt_94
>>
>>27833305
>>27833416 again
Note that all of these complaints are mostly specific to the retarded implementation from that anime, and a lot of real life cruisers.
Recumbent motorcycles COULD work if they were constructed in a similar way to recumbent bicycles, i.e. with the legs in front of the front wheel to keep the wheelbase shorter. Not very crash-safe, but bikes in general aren't so who cares.
In fact, I think that would be a pretty cool thing to see.

>>27833419
True. However, aero isn't really a big issue on motorcycles since they are ludicrously powerful for their weight. Even a 500cc twin with its ~60 hp can get up to highway speeds much quicker than most gas cars, and cruise there comfortably.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.