[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

So Hellcat engines are actually Junk?
I talked to a local tuner and he told me those 6.2L in the hellcats are very fragile and easily shit the bed.
dude is the go-to tuner in town, probably tunes 15 cars a week.
He won't even add boost to them because they blow up so easily.
The tunes are all timing and air fuel changes.

Apparently if you accidentally put 87 octane gas in a stock hellcat, it'll probably blow up if you push it hard.
How did Dodge manage to successfully shill that engine so hard?
>>
File: fraid its fraying.jpg (109 KB, 1192x400)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>27833327
>>
>>27833338
what am I looking at here?
>>
>>27833327
To be fair, for a stock motor it is already pushing a very high output and therefore highly stressed.
Why would anyone be suprised that it's hard to get 11/10ths out of a motor which is already at like 9/10ths from the factory?
>>
>>27833327
Of course they are squeezed to the max from the factory. Just like how they engineer stuff to last only the warranty.
>>
>>27833327
no
>>
>>27833327
The engines ain't shit, they're already pushed to the limit from factory. Find me another engine that outputs similar power stock.
>>
>>27833327
I think as an architecture, they're a decent engine. Its just the internals aren't stellar and dodge isn't the best with oiling systems. They're still better than scat pack motors and any of the previous hemis. Its kinda like the viper v10, where once you get into upgrades, the sky is the limit. But stock form will probably break above 600 at the wheels with boost. The hellephant is really the best way to go stock hemi if you really want power that isn't making the engine wheeze. Ford is the only one to put a lot of effort into their stock internals on aluminum engines.
>>
>>27833327
>owners neglect
>infrequent oil changes
>idle time / not revving frequently
>cheap pulley mods with nothing to support the boost

Here are the most typical causes of death. Sadly a lot of owners of these things are the type of people who can only think of monthly payments and never check the price of a single bottle of 0w40 synthetic before buying a car.

I own one and I’ve seen many instances of above in the community, people whose only justifiable maintenance is an exhaust mod.
>>
>>27833327
>I talked to a local tuner
>dude is the go-to tuner in town, probably tunes 15 cars a week.

rofl, "go-to tuner" according to who? Himself?

tunes 15 cars a week? lol ok. highly doubt that unless he's re-turning the same cars but that wouldn't make sense. If he's so good then he'd tune it properly the first time.

Tuning a high number of cars a week isn't impressive either, it just means he's just rushing them or worse, just using generic OTS tunes to make a quick buck.

>>if you accidentally put 87 octane gas in a stock hellcat, it'll probably blow up if you push it hard

Yeah ... OP just proved he's an ignorant retard.
>>
File: 1580069636543.jpg (103 KB, 485x512)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>27833527
>reddit spacing
>>
>>27833327
>my friend said that this guy he knows
>>
>>27833504
This. Owner abuse inflates failure numbers. The Hellcat is based off the 5.7L Hemi block which is more than capable of pushing full retard numbers. The 6.2L is a perfectly good engine and has no problems during normal operation - which includes drag racing. The problem is that retards buy these cars not understanding that the high performance engine requires more frequent and consistent maintenance than an N/A block. There's more than enough examples of extensively built Hellcat engines pushing double the stock horsepower without constant problems. In fact, if you look at some of the most extreme examples (like at TX2K) they experienced driveline failures, not engine failures.
>>
>>27833327
Wtf is this bait? The ScatPack 6.4 liter engines are the ones that are questionable under boost on stock internals. If Hellcat engines were allegedly this fragile then you’d have heaps of folks with blown engines from just going to a 2.85 upper pulley and 93 tune. These things can make 1000 horsepower on stock internals fairly easily, granted that’s right on the edge if you’re pushing that at the wheels. Loads of guys are in the 700 and 800s at the wheels with basic mods without issue. Even if you’re trolling, the retard no cars on this board will parrot this dumb shit.
>>
>>27833353
frayed braiding on a pipe, it's rubbing on something
>>
File: left rear polished.jpg (2.54 MB, 4249x2390)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>27833327
I have a 16 Scat. The 6.4s are the problem engine. If the valvetrain doesn't frag itself, the rollers will seize causing the lifter to wipe the cam over time. Mine didn't get that far. Dropped a valve at 35k miles, and dealer replaced engine under warranty. Buddy at work has a 2012 or something with the 6.2L and his cam got wiped. He barned it for years and just recently had the engine rebuilt. Another friend had an 08/09 with the 6.1. His cam wiped but he still dailied that car for years before selling it.
>>
>>27834484
I had a 2018 ScatPack Charger that was my daily for about five years, I put about 65k miles on it and it still ran the same as when I got it with 2k miles. Did you idle it a lot or extend your oil change intervals? I was very careful about not idling it too long.
>>
>>27833504
>community, people whose only justifiable maintenance is an exhaust mod.
kek
seems like someone dropping $70,000 on a car would have some money to maintain it.

>>27833527
I refuse to read all that reddit spacing shit.

>>27834484
sry to hear that anon.
that blows.
>>
>>27833327
there’s a reason they call it mopar. That’s what you’ll be spending your money on every few years
>>
>>27834484
I've been looking at UK market SRT-8 Chysler 300s with the 6.1 and camshafts being wiped is cited as one of the most common failures and this is back in like 05
does dodge just make cams out of pot metal or something?
>>
>>27834695
low idle oil pressure in order to eke out the tiniest bit of extra fuel economy to meet minimum gov't standards
>>
>>27834703
Is there an easy fix for that like a different oil pressure switch or high flow oil pump or is it just a case of not letting it idle?
>>
>>27833338
American engineering
>>
File: kilmer.png (1.45 MB, 1178x663)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>>27834733
For the 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4, the easy answer is to install a Hellcat oil pump.

Hellcats, afaik, don't suffer from oil starvation, plus if you own one, you are likely not idling it much.
>>
>>27834808
That’s one thing I noticed between my old 392 and my current Hellcat, the Hellcat makes a bunch more oil pressure everywhere in the rev range. Talking 60 pounds cruising as opposed to being in the 40s in the 392. I agree that the 6.2 doesn’t suffer as much from oiling like the NA Hemis do, but like you said I don’t idle my cars in general because of that.
>>
>>27833338
>>27833353
>>27833571
if it's an aftermarket hose it could justbe some of that "insulation" they put on it. i know gates hoses have this for a toyota hose that i bought from rockauto. it's trying to replicate the factory foam insulation, and they use it as a selling/marketing gimmick
>>
>>27834703
>>27834808
I would imagine there's high volume pumps for sale, what psi do they make idling hot from the factory?
>>
>>27833571
It's nylon sleeving you retard that's what it normally looks like at the end. Protects the hose from abrasion and helps with heat dissipation.
>>
>>27834676
>seems like someone dropping $70,000 on a car would have some money to maintain it.

The hellcat "community" is largely composed of drug dealers and freshman tradesmen who think for a minute and vaguely estimate they can make the monthly payment
>>
File: 220304.png (410 KB, 984x793)
410 KB
410 KB PNG
>>27833338
wrenchlet spotted
>>
>>27833327
>The tunes are all timing and air fuel changes.
stupid ass ricer kek, you have 0 tools
>>
>>27834994
My 392 would idle between 28-30 psi hot, the Hellcat idles in the 40s
>>
>>27833327
You'll never find one in a airplane. Meanwhile there lots of planes with LS's and other roadgoing vehicle engines.
>>
>>27835338
Idle PSI isn't the issue it's shit engines. My BBC idles at 6PSI and is entirely designed to.
>>
>>27835415
The idle PSI is the issue. There isn’t enough oil splash as a result of the low rpm/PSI to keep the valve train lubed like it needs to be. Yes this is because of the design, no they’re not shit engines. Also even on a big block 6 psi is worrying low, 10 psi minimum hot is as low as you want to go before you need to start checking things like your gauge, sender or worrying about bearing clearance. When was your last rebuild?
>>
Why would you put 87 octane to a sport motor
>>
>>27834674
We bought it used in 2017 from a dealership with about 20k miles on it. I didn't have service records and can't speak as to the care by the po. We have always maintained the car very well. The current engine now has 50k and it runs perfectly, but there's that spot in the back of my brain that always worries about the lifter/cam. If it happens again I'll rebuild the engine with cam and valvetrain upgrades.
>>
>>27833327
Most people abuse the hell out of the 6.2 liter engine Hellcats by doing burnouts, drifting, speeding and rpm redlining. Lots of people do tunings for those engines by adding more boost.
>>
>>27835485
Thanks for the tip on the hellcat pump. I'll do a bit of research on this, and may end up doing that. This car has had a number of electrical problems as well, but nothing I couldn't fix. Despite the issues I really like the car.
>>
>>27833327
>front sump on a drag car
>>
>>27834676
Thanks, yeah it really did. At least the dealer replaced it under warranty with a minimum of argument.
>>
>>27834676
>someone dropping $70,000 on a car
that's the thing, they don't actually drop $70k, they drop precisely zero and then barely make the first of their 96 payments.
>>
No they're not
>>
>>27834676
Another reddit spacing fag. Where are all these reddit bots coming from?
>>
>>27833504
My scat 6.4 runs 7qt of 0w40. The oil is pretty chreap getting the white filter at a reasonable price is the current problem. Theres a $10 discount on each box so ~$6 per qt. I also started with 4 boxes from the physical store and i've bought multiple 5 quarts around the 35 mark. It's really not that bad.
>>
So its max tune what do you want?
>>
>>27835562
My father in law after using my scat. he wasnt driving like an asshole so it was no big deal i just ran it down by driving it like a normal person until the low fuel light came on and put 91 in it. I guess if i was bouncing off the revlimiter the whole time i could see the knock sensor kicking in.
>>
>>27833327
>1,000hp
>Daily driven
>Fragile
Do you even understand what low octane does to a high compression/cylinder pressure?
That guy is a fucking retard.
>>
>>27833327
>The tunes are all timing and air fuel changes.
what in the fuck else would it be? i hate this board so much.
>>
>>27839672
Need that high performance blinker fluid from Juan down at the shadetree in Florida
>>
>>27836210
>front sump on a drag car
What does this mean?
>>
>>27839782
When you’re accelerating hard, the oil is all going to the back of the pan. Sump should be in the rear if you want good oil pressure while doing 0-100 runs.

Although anon could be talking out his ass.
>>
>>27835335
what
>>
File: FUPA.jpg (378 KB, 1920x1080)
378 KB
378 KB JPG
>>27839794
>>
>>27839798
u wot?
>>
>>27839672
>what in the fuck else would it be?
adding boost retard.
but the shit engine can't take anymore than stock
>>
>>27833327
>Apparently if you accidentally put 87 octane gas in a stock hellcat, it'll probably blow up if you push it hard.
if you put the wrong fuel in a car, bad things happen.
>He won't even add boost to them because they blow up so easily.
the engine's already at the limit. don't be low IQ
>>
>>27843284
>if you put the wrong fuel in a car, bad things happen.
Yeah maybe 30 years ago. Modern vehicles have octane sensors and will adjust their boost and timing to compensate for the wrong octane fuel. My turbo work van is supposed to run on premium but the company is cheap and makes us run regular fuel in them. They run fine. I've seen people do it on fancy German performance vehicles and it works just fine. You're going to lose power and probably fuel economy but you're not going to damage anything.
>>
>>27843295
ok and a hellcat would be fine putzing around town on 87 octane too, what's your point?
>>
>>27843300
Nothing bad will happen.
>>
>>27838486
It's not reddit spacing if he's not doing it in every line, he simply formatted his post.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.