[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: unnamed.jpg (86 KB, 512x341)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Life in plastic, it's fantastic!
>>
File: engin.jpg (1.85 MB, 3264x2448)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>27833785
We must revert back to based
>>
Oh nooo
Not the heckin plastic!
Back in my day everything was made of cast iron. And everyone knows that old cars are fast, safe, and reliable.
Deeerrrrp
>>
>>27833785
Yes, because old cars were easy to work on, right?
>>
File: 1698250003263196.jpg (152 KB, 900x506)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>you wirr assimirate
kek
>>
File: photo.jpg (218 KB, 1200x900)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>27833793
you see, aside from looking like shit plastic has another big problem-it becomes more brittle with age and in general is nowhere as robust as metal. it might be okay to use in small things that dont affect overall reliability and longevity, but shit like plastic expansion tanks or charge pipes is a prime example of "designed to fail"
>>
>>27833807
The slant 6 above you entirely discredits your post
>>
>>27833785
I've never seen a (factory) car with aluminum or sheet metal catch cans, plenums, runners or cooling system components. The added weight and cost would price cars out of the market. An old Boomer rhetorical comment that won't die till they do. We used to say this shit restoring a 68 Mustang, replacing plastic parts for metal when we could, linkage, bushings, etc. Then Boomer wants to go even faster. Now he needs to shave weight. Now he's replacing front quarter panels and hood for plastic race panels. Move the battery to the rear, replace old car shit with new mods, more plastics, more shaving weight. It really is a dumb argument. Modern cars follow the same path as making old cars faster. Plastics are also better and last longer now, same for paint jobs. Where does the idea that a car part never needs replacing come from? These are wear items subject to wear and tear, why wouldn't it need to be replaced at some point? Nothing last forever, even in a controlled environment.
>>
>>27833790
but can I still have AC?
>>
>>27833926
"plastic" is not all the same thing thoughbeit
fiber reinforced plastic is very tough stuff
the recycled playmobil plastic bmw uses is not
>>
>>27834247
>Where does the idea that a car part never needs replacing come from? These are wear items subject to wear and tear, why wouldn't it need to be replaced at some point?
I agree, but manufacturers have made car modules that complicate the ECM, and if their module VIN number doesn't match the VIN number in the ECM, then your car won't start. But to update the VIN number requires $4,000 subscription software from the manufacturer to do it.

New cars could be easier to work on if the information screen could just tell you to replace part X with a link that orders the part and a YouTube video showing how to replace the part. But NOOOoo we can't live in the future. We need to fuck around with bullshit subscription shit.
>>
File: polymotor.png (504 KB, 400x549)
504 KB
504 KB PNG
>>27833785
I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
PLASTICS !
There’s a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?
>>
>>27833926
Metal rusts and is expensive to repair
>>
>>27834350
>But to update the VIN number requires $4,000 subscription software
there are much cheaper third party solutions for pretty much all makes and models
alfaobd for example is $50, runs on your phone, and can do things like writing the VIN to new parts or changing factory settings on many fiat and chrysler models of completely disparate architectures.
>>
>>27834331
No. Vent windows only, and you'll come to appreciate their superiority.
>>
>>27834331
That's a dealer option on the Executive trim, that'll be... (deafening mechanical calculator noises) ...$25,499.98 more, sir.
>>
File: Old_timy_as.png (212 KB, 377x252)
212 KB
212 KB PNG
>>27834586
I'll just get the window unit.
>>
>>27834247
>your oil pan is a wear item
>>
>>27834543
>Just download some hacked software on your phone
>>
File: 1704079648826846.png (731 KB, 685x816)
731 KB
731 KB PNG
>>27834247
Fuck off you cretinous engineer, go back to the dark, damp, smelly hole you belong in. I've seen far too many plastic engine parts fail due to embrittlement, warping, or just being unable to cope with the job to believe that they can replace metal components. The weight savings are negligible, it's purely done to reduce cost at the expense of longevity and reliability.
Woe betide those who extol the virtues of plastic components. May your bloodline end short and your death be long and excruciating.
>>
>>27833785
>why doesn't my rental car have a metal engine
You voted for this
>>
>>27834247
>Plastics are also better and last longer now,
Man shut the FUCK up
>>
>>27834247
>aluminum plenums, runners
bro what
>>
>>27833807
very common engine
>>
>>27834247
I rather have plastic panels than plastic engine parts. Hell I would love to get some plastic replica fenders for my car. Plastic door skins and hood.
Engine not so much.
>>
>>27834983
it would be nice if it were open source but it's way better than buying a hacked starscan from china with trojans in the install disc.
>>
>>27834534
Plastic cracks and can't be repaired, has to be replaced, good luck finding plastic parts for an older car, some piece of shit plastic trim piece is usually more of a headache to find than a metal part and they don't come cheap for how shit quality they are
>>
>>27836026
I replaced a plastic part for $8 on eBay. If you're an absolute retard and don't know how to Google then I can see how that would be difficult.
>>
>>27834810
You’re not poor are you? You can afford to replace an oil pan every oil change can’t you?
>>
>>27836480
No, because it requires an engine pull out.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.