[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hgfmkje.jpg (105 KB, 1024x1024)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
How's maintenance and reliability?

I feel like stuff would break all the time, but I don't know anyone who actually owns one

How would you compare it to say.. something like an old bmw (E9X era & older)

Tell me your stories
>>
>>27835657
>buy a restored 66-72 model year that's clean, looked after and used regularly but not dailied
Fine
>buy Jimbo's dad's old project malaise 'maro which is half filler, rewired in the dark by a drunk 65yo and has a mouse nest in the intake
Bad
>>
>>27835663
But thats the difference between spending 30k and 6k. So most will gravitate towards the latter.
>>
From my 5 weeks with a muscle 4x4
>Fuel consumption even with a small 350 holley is meh considering power output
>Very reliable very easy to fix
>Electric choke good
>Lack of auto kickdown sucks obviously not an issue in manuals or manual mode
>Drowned my poor tb42 in a huge puddle didnt even hydrolock
Overall i like it more than efi cold starts suck but efi shit isn't much better and feels like a step backwards overcomplicated and you have to carry cables and pcs everywhere which isnt great in the bush
>>
basically you are going to have to re-engineer it, upside is doing so it incredibly easy and rewarding
>>
>>27835900
and EXPENSIVE
>>
>>27835895
>overcomplicated and you have to carry cables and pcs everywhere which isnt great in the bush
the carb or the efi?
>>
>>27835657
They do seem to break often but they are easy to fix. I always used to have issues with spark plugs, leads or the ignition system. Maybe its just the heat in the engine bay but they seem to have issues often while new cars shield that stuff better.

For older BMW's like the 80's if you read the forums you will know more than the majority of mechanics you attempt to send it to.
>>
The biggest issue with cars that are 50 years old is the 50 years of owners doing DIY fixes that you need to undo to make it fucking work
>>
>>27835657
Aftermarket is MASSIVE for anything "cool" (corvette, chevelle, nova, camaro, mustang, etc)
>and they're simpler than the layered turbos and BCMs tied to ECMs etc now
>>
>>27835998
This, generations of fucking retards who shouldn’t be around cars have made getting anything old that isn’t a total piece of shit impossible without spending way too much money.
>>
>>27836599
I mean a lot of those years these cars were just old pos cars, of which most ended up in the scrapyard. We should be lucky the diyed cars are still alive and running, and can be restored by people who want to put in the money and effort.
>>
>>27835968
Cables aren't complicated for either if their both throttle by cable and not by wire
>>
>>27837205
right, just wasn't sure what kind of cable you were talking about
>>
>>27835657
Dont buy restored because you will probably have to redo almost everything right yourself anyway.
>>
>>27835657
Literally unironically better than getting something from the 80. These cars are so incredibly simple that there is not much to even go wrong and things they do are very easy to fix and unless you get something weirdly exotic parts are very easy to walk into a parts store and get.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.