[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 61P3Zhfi6pL.jpg (137 KB, 1303x1600)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
Do you use snake oils and has it worked for you?
>>
File: image.jpg (197 KB, 2000x1000)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
I've got Penrite Shift Eze in my box and xfer case
Every time I run picrel in my truck, it fucking loves it, rev's like butter and it's un-luggable, genuinely think it 'woke up' my engine after 1st use, but it just loves having it in the tank.
Apart from that, I don't really believe in additives, aside from injector cleaner
>>
>>27835757
>>27835757
How does it improve dont synchros need friction to shift properly?
>>
Popular fuel cleaner revealed that I certainly need spark plugs and have cats that will last maybe another 10k miles before borderline.
>>
>>27835731
Don't you need this if you have a clutch type LSD?
>>
on another anon's recommendation, I put 3 different fuel injector cleaners in my tank which resulted in getting 3 additional MPGs highway at least. haven't gotten data on city driving yet.
>>
>>27836939
is 3 mpg worth it over the cost of injector cleaner? How long did the improvement last? Just wondering
>>
>>27835731
>Do you use snake oils and has it worked for you?
Engine Restore works pretty well on my shitboxes, it reduces a lag between 3k-4k rpm that exists if I don't use it.

Marvel Mystery Oil desludged my car so much that the idle is around 600 rpm instead of 800.
>>
File: 51WJPoNvfiL.jpg (47 KB, 1000x1000)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
This shit, it's easy to use and leaves the waxy feeling when dusting off a car.
>>
File: PB B LASTER.jpg (301 KB, 1500x2100)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
This snake oil helps me turn nuts on rusty shitboxes harder.
>>
>>27837450
It makes a nice fragrance too
>>
File: snakeoil.jpg (31 KB, 612x612)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>27835731
I swear by Lucas Transmission Fix, as I've personally witnessed it save multiple of the 'worst' years of Honda automatics (Y2K era), and even a GM 4L80e that wouldn't go into gear. "But it's a bandaid", some might say, but in one specific case I sold a formerly horribly slipping CR-V to a friend where it drove for the next 3-4 years until he sold it where it still wasn't slipping. I don't really touch any of their other products and their infamous "oil stabilizer" is supposedly actual snake oil, on the other hand.
I'm a sucker for MoS2/Ceratec additives as well, no personal "fixed" experiences but a friend with 200k on an early V8 Porsche Cayenne swears by Ceratec and I now add a dose of MoS2 to most of my shitboxes where in one case it did reduce the early-morning startup tick on a Vortec V8.
>>27837189
I dig Engine Restore, as an old shitbox enjoyer I usually give any new-to-me car a dose. Project Farm tested it and it seems to really work at upping compression and squeezing some life out of a motor.
>>
>>27837419
I got bamboozled into buying that from one of their salemen (huge discount). Works pretty good for the summer and gets all the bugs off but doesn't last 12 months like they say.
>>
>>27837523
>but doesn't last 12 months like they say.
Yeah it's definitely good if you're a paint autist who rubs it on often, otherwise you'd want an expensive paint sealant.
>>
>>27837125
I only did it like a month ago, but I think I paid like $15 for them. So if it lasts 6 months I’d say it’s worf
It did definitely help though, it was random variation. 27 used to be my max, but I got an even 30 on the tank I used the cleaner on.
>>
>>27837480
I’m a fan of ceratec threw a can in a 6.7 Cummins that was burning oil pretty bad for some reason. That bitch loved it and just felt smoother and 100k miles later she hasn’t burned a drop since. I think mos2 and the like are pretty much necessary for engines with a high tickyness like hemis, high performance bmw engines, or just older engines in general. Threw a can of mos2 in an old gasser John Deere and I swear up and down it just ran smoother but that’s just me.
>>
>>27837676
>>27837480
Hate to be that guy but oil additives are trash and should never be used. Engine oil is a specific chemical formula and adding stuff to it disrupts the chemical properties.
Also Mos2 specifically is an older type of moly well known for not mixing with your oil properly.
It's a type of moly that oil makers stopped using after the 90s, thats how old it is.
>>
>>27837736
>oil additives are trash and should never be used
I gotta agree with this, if you want to clean up an old engine, just do very aggressive oil change intervals, strong detergents in fresh oil have fantastic cleaning properties.
>>
>>27837758
You're absolutely correct
>dad bought an old neglected Chevy truck with the 4.3l v6
>changed the oil immediately and changed it again after 3k miles
>knocked a bunch of crud loose in the engine
>blocked an oil passage and spun a bearing on the balance shaft
>parted the truck out
>>
File: s-l1200.jpg (230 KB, 1192x1200)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
>>27835731
2 cans of liquimoly diesel purge made the loud ass injectors on my buddies 300d shut the fuck up. Went from sounding like rod knock to just the normal slight tapping of mechanical injectors.
>>
>>27837736
You do you but I’m gonna keep on. Had good results from liqui moly in my vehicles. A 7 dollar can of mos2 isn’t gonna hurt anything.
>>
>>27837480
lucas is the goat.
>trans cooler on my z31 blows on the highway
>lose a shit ton of trans fluid
>3rd now slips at 45mph and up even after refilling
one bottle of lucas and 3rd gear never slipped again, drove the car for 5 more years after that.
>>
Half a can of moly in my power steering fluid made the whiny pump shut up. Downside is the fluid is now black

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.