[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_7026.jpg (191 KB, 1280x960)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
My car’s shocks seem to be blown (very stiff, even on softest setting, very bouncy no matter the setting) and I’d like to replace them with something decent. Usually I get Ohlins DFV and am happy, but I’m on a budget and am honestly considering Teins for the first time in my life.
Tein Flex Z coilovers are $600 here vs $1540 for Ohlins. Should I just get the teins or something similar? Probably won’t be spending much time on the track, just mountain roads and daily driving. So for my purposes, the negatives of the teins seem to only be extra weight and a slight hit to comfort.
>>
Get Bilsteins and stfu
>>
>I'm on a budget
Stay stock
>>
File: IMG_7027.jpg (99 KB, 800x600)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>27836057
Regular bilstein shocks are $1200, no thanks.
Missed out on a listing where someone sold lightly used Penske’s for $600, feelsbad.
>>
File: IMG_7021.jpg (158 KB, 840x1024)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>27836061
Going to check on stock prices, but I think it’ll be around $1k or so (those bilsteins were an option on some model years and are a bit more it seems).
>>
>>27836061
this or get the KYB line that's slightly stiffer than stock, but designed to be used with the OEM springs.
coilovers on cars that will be on public roads 99% of the time is a meme, unless you just want the car lowered for aesthetics.
>>
>>27836064
I'd imagine he means get the KYB factory replacement ones, they're like $75-125 a piece.
>>
File: 01532628714.jpg (545 KB, 750x562)
545 KB
545 KB JPG
why do you need coilovers for DD
just get aftermarket shocks (and springs if you want to go lower?)
>>
>>27836069
Just found some KYB shocks. $400 for a set (no springs or anything, only the shocks themselves). I guess I could try that, but with springs and misc parts I imagine it’ll go up near $600 and end up being more labor intensive than coilovers.
I didn’t mind the OEM suspension on my other car though; drove fine honestly.
>>
>>27836079
they sell complete assemblys as well that are OE spec
https://www.kyb.com/products/strut-plus/
the rear springs are usually easy, just unbolt the lower control arm so it drop slip the old spring out and the new one in.

although it looks like their "gas adjust" (which I'm guessing replaced the old orange line) only comes as standalone shocks.
>>
>>27836090
Oh, interesting. I’ll take a look.
>>
Ohlins all the way. if you’re on a budget then get the cheapest ebay or amazon coils and call it a day.
>>
>>27836096
I've also read good things on forums about the OE replacement Bilsteins, they're noticeably firmer than stock, but still work with the OE springs. Although idk if they sell complete struck assemblys.
>>
>>27836055
1. stay stock
or
2. Koni yellows

Teins are worse than stock.
and way worse than Koni yellows.
>>
>>27836055
What car?
>>
>>27837359
fd rx7
>>27837356
I did that on my nissan a long time ago. And they were definitely good. But for the hassle, it seems worth it to spend a few hundred more for an equivalent quality set of coilovers.
>>
>>27837374
bro, the word ‘budget’ should not be in the same realm of vocabulary as ‘FD3S’.
>>
I have Flex Zs on one of my 300zx and they are surprisingly good. The back is a bit more "re-boundy" than I'd like, but after playing with the damper tuning, I have them riding pretty comfortably. This is at near stock height and zero spring pre-load. I had some Tein HAs on an S14 in the past and they were damped poorly, so I can see where the Tein hate comes from.
For $700, just go for it.
>>
>>27837374
>equivalent quality set of coilovers.

Koni yellows are the equivalent of coilovers way more expensive than shit Teins.
for example, to beat my koni yellows, I had to get Penske coilovers built.
I spent 10X as much to get a coilover that was 1 second faster per lap.
koni yellows are that good.
>>
>>27836055
Why not just replace your shocks and add spring rubbers?
>>
>>27836055
Teins are perfectly fine for a mostly street driven car.
>>
>>27837356
Teins are not worse than stock unless the car cane factory with bilsteins. Worse ride quality, sure, but that's a given for all coilovers compared to shocks/spring.
>>
>>27837356
>>27838084
Seconding this. You have to spend $3k+ to get anything that's really worth it over a quality set of shocks and springs. Cheap coilovers are a false economy and really only make sense if the lowered aesthetic is your only priority at the expense of everything else.

t. anon who used to work at a highly-regarded track shop that specialized in suspension setup (corner balancing, race alignments, even dialing setups in trackside for clients that wanted to pay for it) and was a distributor and authorized rebuilder for several major suspension companies and an R&D partner for MCS.
>>
>>27838299
>t. shill who wanted to upsell everyone $3k+ coilovers
>>
>>27838307
>anon tells you to just buy Koni yellows and save the money on shit coilovers.
>accuse him of shilling
bruh
>>
File: PXL_20240325_205458088.jpg (1.65 MB, 4032x2268)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>27838084
They don't make them for the FD yet, but I just got a set of Koni special actives (their trick is frequency selective damping, basically a Koni STR-T that can automatically adjust itself based on how fast or slow it compresses or extends) on my shitbox and I love them. They're comfortable on shit roads while also having the ability to stiffen up when you drive it hard. The catch is you can't run springs that lower the car with them or the bypass valve will never shut (it'll be soft all the time), and they don't handle massively stiff spring rates well either, so if you want those things and/or don't daily drive it so comfort isn't something you care about, go for the yellows instead.
>>
>>27836055
teins are made in china, hence why they are so cheap. all coilovers are shit for longevity, their threads for spring adjusters rust and seize and their shocks dont last long. theres a reason why no street car ever came with them from the factory. get sporty shocks instead of larping as a racer
>>
Yellows and GCs.
>>
>>27836064
BUILT
>>
>>27838299
What's your opinion on custom built coilovers using Taiwanese parts like Fortune Auto and Feal?

I kind of feel like if you have $2200 or so to spend they are your best option. Especially if the spring rates suit your application and use
>>
>>27837356
>>27838299
>>27838360
I've had konis before on hypercoil springs. They were nice for what they cost I guess, but my ohlins felt better. And the added labor cost of installing a traditional /OEM type setup like konis means you aren't really saving that much. Looks like konis aren't distributed here anyway, so KYB would be my only real option for something like that.
>>
File: Koni dyno.png (187 KB, 1350x1087)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>27839258
ohlins are a better shock than a Koni, but also in a completely different price category.
that's the point I'm making here.
amount of money you have to spend to beat Koni yellows is a lot.
>>
>>27836055
STs are just cheap KWs, maybe that's worth a shot if you get them in the US.
>>
>>27836079
try rockauto, they might have the same kybs or the gas-a-just ones which are meant to be more performance oriented/stiffer
>>
>>27839533
They aren’t that much more expensive if you’re in Japan. Ohlins are $1500 here. Konis are about $600/set + $300 in springs, more if you buy helper springs. Then you waste more time figuring everything out and installing them. So while they’re still cheaper, they’re not that much cheaper.
>>
>>27839736
You don't have to install coilovers on everything.
slap a set of Koni yellows on OEM the strut setup and enjoy.

ya there's nicer shit
I have $8,000 worth of custom built dampers on my race car.
but unless 0.01second a lap matters to you, it's irrelevant.
>>
>>27839048
>theres a reason why no street car ever came with them from the factory
Comfort. That's it.
>>
File: DSC_0901.jpg (2.54 MB, 3008x2000)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.