[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: flexfuel.png (357 KB, 682x364)
357 KB
357 KB PNG
Is it advisable to use E85 if your engine supports it?
Just got a '16 Ford Focus which is newer than anything I've ever owned before and this flexfuel thing is new to me.

It seems too good to be true that I can fill my tank with something that costs 30-40 cents less per gallon than standard gas. So what is the catch? Will it hurt MPG? Make my engine explode? Increase wear?
>>
>>27838943
>It costs x% less per gallon but you also get x% less MPG
It's not good for saving money, if anything it might increase wear since ethanol attracts water from wherever it can get it
The best usecase is for high compression racing engines like for the dodge demon 170 so you don't pay out the ass for leaded racing gas
>>
>>27838973
>if anything it might increase wear since ethanol attracts water from wherever it can get it
That's a big if, retard
>>
>>27838943
>30 to 40 cents less per gallon
That's a bigger ripoff than my tri-county area charging +50cents for every grade past 87.
>>
>>27838943
Expect a 50% reduction in fuel mileage.
>>
>>27838973
race gas isn't leaded, some aircraft fuel is
>>
>>27838943
your engine and fuel system were designed for it, it's the best case scenario since all materials are compatible. you will lose about 30% MPG because the combusion reaction for ethanol has a different stoichiometric point. >>27838973 is a retard for spreading FUD about wear but he's partially right. ethanol is only worth it if you drive it a lot or drive it hard. since there's more fuel there's more fuel dilution, which means more ethanol ends up in your oil sump and you need to get the oil temps high enough to evaporate the fuel out. if it were me, I would change my oil every 3k. but ethanol has a lot of benefits, like running a lot cooler and resisting knock and cleaning your combustion chamber. on some flex cars like the caprice police cruiser, you also get more power on ethanol. if you get it tuned you can definitely make more power.
>>
>>27839034
>>27838973
>>27838943

E85 on the city is a gaz guzzler. On the highway, on the other hand... i make about as much mpg as gasoline.
empty your tank and fill er up with e85. save your mileage. watch your odometer when the tank empties out. calculate your mpg and do the same with gasoline. divide by fuel cost and you will get the smartest choice. by experience its all about your driving habits. i use my car almost exclusively for highway
>>
>>27839117
yeah 30% is under equal conditions in a lab but irl it depends on the way the engine is tuned and what specific load and rpm you spend time at. best thing for OP is to just try it out and do the math to see if he's really saving anything.
>>
>>27838943
I have a flexfuel f150 and I don't use e85 because I tend to take shorter trips (3-4 miles) which can really fuck up the engine on e85. Also e85 is not readily available in most places near me. There's one station with it in my city, but zero others within a 50 mile radius. So even if I did do a lot of highway driving, it'd be a pain in the ass to plan ahead for where I'd need to fill up (as constantly switching between e85 and regular gas is not recommended according for ford for some reason)
>>
>Is it advisable to use E85 if your engine supports it?
Yes, its locally produced unlike saudi anal goo a.k.a oil. The catch is even it has higher octane it has lower energy density. If you love your white nation you will see that even it does not give worse nor better dollar/mile it will be the better option.
>>
>>27839209
Maybe you should give up your Ford, essentially a white man's ride, and ride a camel instead.
>>
File: hitler(you).jpg (65 KB, 556x604)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>27839015
>>27839265

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.