[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

How does double clutching actually work?
If you put it in neutral and rev it before shifting into a lower gear, I heard it aligns the gear shafts so the synchros don't have to do any work when you put it into gear.
But if it's in neutral isn't the engine disconnected from the transmission in the first place? How would doing anything in neutral affect something in the transmission?
>>
>>27840264
when you push the clutch in it disconnects the main shaft from the engine. in neutral with the clutch disengaged, the main shaft still turns. double clutching allows the main shaft to match the engine speed, reducing wear on the synchronizers but increasing wear on the clutch followers or fingers. the gears lock to the main shaft through locking collars/synchros
>>
double clutching is something people had to do in cars that had transmissions with no synchros. my dad’s ‘54 oval beetle had a crashbox (dogbox) trans that didn’t have synchros between 1st & 2nd and needed to be double clutched to upshift or downshift.
>>
>>27840290
I have a modern car with synchros and I do whenever im going down multiple gears or going from 2nd to 1st gear.
>>27840288
Oh i get it. From a drivers perspective clutch in and neutral seem like the same thing but theyre actually not!
>>
>>27840297
it probably doesn’t do a whole lot unless you’re doing something like going from 2nd to 1st like you stated. when upshifting, the fluid in the housing is probably slowing the main shaft down enough that the synchros aren’t doing a whole lot of work. I just use the brakes until about 1500 rpm then clutch one and brake in neutral til stop. I’m alrea do technically double clutched if I didn’t stop all the way and have to put it back into gear. I also don’t drive like a fucking retard doing 25 in parking lots so I don’t do constant shifting between the first three gears
>>
>>27840306
>I just use the brakes until about 1500 rpm then clutch one and brake in neutral til stop
>. I’m alrea do technically double clutched if I didn’t stop all the way and have to put it back into gear
Same, but yeah there are situations where you need to turn and there's no stop sign, so you'll look like a retard if you stop and then go into first gear. So you legitimately need to downshift to first.
>>
>>27840264
It's basically required to avoid granny shifting
>>
>>27840264
Upshift:
>no idea I just float mine
Downshift:
>clutch
>gear to neutral
>release clutch
>this syncs transmission and engine speed
>clutch and shift
>t. 8 speed unsynchronized
>>
>>27840347
>>release clutch
>>this syncs transmission and engine speed
no it doesnt nigger it synchronises the input shaft with the engine but the output shaft is turned by the wheels
>>
>>27840320
It's also necessary to avoid the 100 shot of nos blowing the welds on the intake

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.