[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hemi-586442867.jpg (202 KB, 1500x1206)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
Question, I have a loud knocking noise coming from my engine but it isn't continuous I'll hear it at start up once every minute or so until the car starts getting warm and when I shut the car off. Just a singular knock sounds as if it's coming from the back, recently changed the spark plugs a 1,000 miles ago, wondering if it could be that?
>>
>using 87 octane garbage on a race enginr
>>
>>27951024
That's just a stock photo, I have a 4.6L V8
>>
>>27951022
A "knock" every once in awhile sounds more like a loose component or you left a socket somewhere and it's getting bounced around when its cold and not running as smoothly as when it warms up.
>>
Piston slap or you got a rod bearing about to self yeet. Piston slap goes away once the piston warms up and expands, rod noise goes away after the oil pressure comes up immediately after initial start up. If you got a savvy ear you should be able to tell if the noise is crank shaft speed or cam speed, if it’s cam speed you got valve train issues but those do t usually go away once warmed up.
>>
>>27951135
i kneel
>>
>>27951022
that's Mopar, baby!
>>
>>27951022
Did you make sure the car has gas in it?
>>
Measure the oil pressure. Oil pump might be dying.
>>
>>27951022
Is piston slap common for your engine?
>>
>>27951022
>>27951024
>>27951029
>>27951929
It's probably the type of fuel you are running or the oil.
New plugs means it's injecting the fuel better than it was before they went out.
>>27951135
>>27951938
I don't think so.
>>
Everybody seems to be missing
>I'll hear it at start up once every minute or so
If that's an accurate statement then it's not a bearing or piston slap.
>>
>>27951995
yeah that sounds like maybe a loose piece of metal
some car companies have been having quality control problems with machining chips left in the oil galleries lately, maybe one came loose on you
>>
>>27951939
>New plugs
>Injecting fuel better
>>
>>27953035
yes? spark injectors inject burning fuel into your manifold.
>>
>>27951938
>>27951135
Piston slap isn't common I have a panther, I'm OP
>>
>>27951995
>>27952281
OP here
That's why I'm curious and stumped, because I saw engine knock videos, piston and valve and it sounds nothing like that, it does sound like something is banging but there is long periods in-between this sound
>>
>>27951022
Probably the exhaust manifold gaskets, they get thin and old with age and they are likely loose when your car is off the headers and block are cold. Then after several minutes of driving the noise goes away after heat from the headers expands the metal and it seats nice and flat against the block. The gasket is cheap itself but you have to unbolt your headers to install it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.