[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: th-3256318910.jpg (26 KB, 474x316)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
/qtddtot/ - Questions that don't deserve their own thread
/sqt/ - Stupid questions thread
>>
I go out west (Utah) to ski and be in the mountains. I drive up and down snowy mountain roads, and sketchy unmaintained rocky forest wilderness roads.
My Subaru Foresters have served me well. For my next car, would a late 90s-early 00s Subaru Legacy Wagon or Subaru Outback be reasonable options (if I get a better deal on those than a Forester) or should I stick with only Forester? As I understand it Subaru sits a it higher off ground. Will Legacy Wagon or Outback have too low of clearance to make it bad for my uses?
Tyvm
>>
>>27974333
>Subaru sits a it higher off ground
Meant to say Forester sits a bit higher off ground (compared to Legacy and Outback)
>>
>>27974324
Are American crossovers any good? RAV4 and CRVs are overpriced in my market and a target for my municipality's auto theft ring. I was thinking about a 2017 Escape, something shit enough to not attract attention from them, but not shit enough for me to want to kill myself.
>>
>>27974335
You can just put forester suspension parts on the other ones to lift them. But that negates the savings from buying a non Forester
>>
Are longer wipers better? I have a choice between 18 inch and 20 inch wipers on my crown vic and both seem to fit
>>
>>27974431
Depends, do you like wiping off a wider patch of rain?
>>
>>27974406
Yeah I dont want to go to the hassle and cost of that, just wondering if a Legacy or Outback as-is will give me trouble in the mountains
>>
File: IMG_20240914_200855.jpg (481 KB, 1542x1227)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
My mom's VW beetle had one of its tires explode today.
As you can see it's a mess, mainly because we had to go about half a mile to pull into a parking lot. Any chance more than just the tire itself is fucked up? Rim looks fine but I'm worried about maybe the suspension or something.
Sorry, I don't know much about cars. I'll find out what's messed up tomorrow but I'm curious.
>>
>>27974678
Suspension is fine.
>>
You know the old wisdom of the AFR for best power is 12.5. For a race engine using full throttle very often, is there any precedent of using AFR close to 14.7 for less stops for fuel?
>>
>>27974591
Nevermind the 20 inch ones don't fit, the hole is too big lol
>>
>>27974324
Is it normal for the driver's seat to lean back a little after accelerating from a stop light?
>>
File: IMG_8173.jpg (2.95 MB, 3024x2787)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB JPG
What’s up with my brakes? Only on one side, no significant vibration or anything on braking, just pulls to the other side. Rotor is wearing in the center on the outside, and only on the edge on the inside. Picrel.
>>
Saw a 1st gen Ford Taurus today. Some methy looking lady was driving it. It didn't sound too bad tbqh. Kind of interesting.
>>
>>27975090
I feel so bad for you salt people.
>>
>>27975131
Lol the car came from texas, no rust and no seized fasteners so far. Even the caliper bolts came right out.
>>
Is an 18 second quarter mile that bad
>>
File: 30th_Anniversary_Trans_Am.jpg (1.09 MB, 3020x1650)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
what are some cheap modifications/body kits that will improve the ugly front of a 99 firebird? can it just use the hood of the pre-facelift version?
>>
>>27974611
They do sometimes bottom out on harsh trails and deep snow. But you want a real suv for that stuff anyway
>>
>>27975157
You think they don't use salt on the roads in Texas, or you think it doesn't snow in Texas?
>>
>>27975187
Yes.
>>
>>27975246
The trans am is transexual. Its always going to be ugly no matter how much surgery you do
>>
>>27975291
I am just saying that’s where it came from and there’s basically no rust. In the midvvest a car with as many miles would probably be crumbling into scale.
>>
>>27975100
I had a gen 1 taurus almost 20 years ago. It was a totally fucked up shitbox. Amazing radio though. Picked up SFO radio station with great quality from northern Oregon somehow
>>
>>27974678
Sometimes the spinning tire fragments can damage brake lines or wires. Hopefully the tire guys will let you know if that happened
>>
>>27974714
What are you running carb or FI? What intake manifold/plenum volume? How much camshaft and what as your manifold vacuum? Many factors determine how lean you can cruise at. Big single plane or tunnel ram Intakes or blowers won’t tolerate that large volume at a lean mixture in the intake without lean backfires and shit throttle response. That’s why they run a little richer at idle/cruise, necessity have any response. It in a 1250 Holley dominator on the street, WOT is jetted at 12.5-12.8:1 and acceptable cruise AFR is mid 13’s:1. Any leaner = shit throttle response. I get decent mileage, better than other cars I cruise with with less power/cubes simply because they’re tuned like shit. Holley carbs need air bleed tuning to adjust the off idle slot. Jets or idle screws do not affect the off idle slot whatsoever.
>>
>>27974324
There's multiple panels of my car with relatively deep scratches and small bits of under-bubbling in the paint in some corners. I'd try to fill it in myself with the "pens" that are out there, but I feel like either I'd fuck it up or the pens won't turn out looking right. Am I better off taking it to a paint shop? If I do take it to a paint shop, how high of a bill would I be looking at?
>>
>>27975373
Turbo cans are 15 bucks at walmart hope this helps.
>>
Is the current VAG 7-speed DSG transmission gonna get expensive over time?

I have driven manual all my life, and am considering a Škoda with an auto gearbox.

Just need a comfy, boring, safe driving experience BUT also full control over gear shifting and as few stages as possible between my foot and the wheels, at least for a modern cuckmobile.
>>
>>27975090
rotor is fucked, just look at it.
if it pulls to the other side when braking, this side is not braking as much, lack of wear on the rotor says the same.
>>
>work at night
>sometimes coom when I get home
>downstairs neighbor says they can hear it and it wakes their baby up

Should I care?
>>
>>27975564
No
>>
>>27974324
I was recommended a fuel additive to prevent my old diesel nozzles from clogging up. Reading the instructions it states
>lethal when ingested or inhaled
But what it considered ingesting or inhaling? Is being in the general vicinity of an opened bottle a killer, or huffing directly from the open bottle? Similarly will touching the stuff be like fentanyl, or like normal diesel?
>>
>>27975592
Where I live sex is considered a normal living noise and cannot be forbidden
>>
>>27975616
Yeah but a guy masturbating? He's clearly a menace to society and is 9001% a pedophile.
>>
>>27975633
Solosex is still sex. Masyurbating in front of your partner is also a common act for couples, and still considered sex. Maybe if you're blasting some mindmelt hypno through your speakers you may want to tone that down a bit, for all our sakes
>>
>>27975639
If I have to hear normies moaning and wailing all night they will hear my mind melt hypno. It is only fair.
>>
>>27975646
Understandable
>>
>>27975267
Real SUV as in not a Forester? The two Foresters I owned both served me well in that kind of stuff.
>>
File: IMG_20230901_191517.jpg (838 KB, 3840x2160)
838 KB
838 KB JPG
>>27974324
based 1985 crx si enjoyer. im rebuilding mine in /ccg/
>>
File: photo0_081639.jpg (767 KB, 1944x1458)
767 KB
767 KB JPG
>>27976275
Gotta have a low range transfer case, big engine and a bit more clearance if you want to live on the cheapest land in the west.
>>
>>27974324
Can I force an oil change monkey to add freon to my AC?
>>
>>27976427
Its a service they advertise at some chains, but they charge you $100+ for something that you can do at home in 15 minutes and a can of refrigerant that might cost $30 also quick lube shops are staffed by greasy monkeys. They sometimes damage the cars
>>
>>27976416
I dont live out there, just travel. Given that I have been satisfied with Forester, would I be similarily satisfied with Legacy/Outback or are they significantly worse than Forester?
>>
>>27976506
Idk, ive done snow storms with rwd v8, blown shocks and bald tires. All Subarus are stupid easy to drive in bad weather
>>
>>27976450
True. Is it really as easy as it looks?
>>
>>27976528
More concerned about clearance for rocks on sketchy forest roads rather than snow, with snow I think awd+good tires is a lot more important than clearance.
I mostly just wanna know if a Outback or Legacy Wagon is much more likely than a Forester to scrape and snag stuff on sketchy roads
>>
>>27976380
I really should mod heatshields onto my car.
>>
>>27976737
Just don't do a BMW and make them out of aluminum, then fix them in place with steel bolts. Fuckers rot out around only the bolt 'cause dissimilar metals and all that, and then they rattle like mad.
>>
>>27976539
Its really easy. You can watch a couple of YouTube videos if you're a wrenchlet zoomer that has to watch a video to figure out how to pump gas or air up the tires
>>
>>27976545
Yes those are more likely to scrape, but again if you're driving on really shitty trails or rock crawling you should get something with a 2spd transfer case and 11+ inches of clearance.

The older Subarus arent as bad, but the 2020 wrx had 4.9 inches of clearance and that absolutely sucked, would not recommend that for anything but well maintained pavement
>>
>>27976796
Not a problem with oil undercoating
>>
>>27976830
Please send that in an email to BMW. Despite how badly their cars leak oil, none that seepage reaches the parts that matters.
>>
>>27976815
Well I'm trying to figure out how to add freon to my AC, pretty sure all gatekeeping fags still watch videos on shit like that
>>
>>27975090
You have debris in a hose and probably a caliper. Maybe not the site you think.
>>
>>27976949
Its like airing up a tire except you use refrigerant instead of air, and you have to pop the hood.
>>
Anyone know of any good stores to buy JDM rims from to best take advantage of the weak yen? I figure rather than through a reseller, a direct sale from a Japanese store would be cheaper.
>>
File: 1706274642644978.png (513 KB, 978x1000)
513 KB
513 KB PNG
Is there a way to tell if my vehicle has an auto start? This is my key fob. Hyundai Verzcruz 2012.

Second question as well. If I buy a replacement fob ($Found some for $60) Is it possible to program myself or do I need to take it to the dealership? They quoted $600 fob and all and that seems a bit fucking nutty for a backup key. Appreciate any insight not a car guy myself so this stuff is sorcerery to me.
>>
File: 20240505_104837.jpg (267 KB, 715x953)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>27974333
I have owned several subarus, currently i have a 98 legacy and i love it. if youre worried about ground clearance, the stock 2nd gen forester struts fit on that style legacy/outback and provide extra height
>>
>>27977184
>>27976828
Thanks
>>
>>27976984
Well I have new hoses. Trying to remove the pads I noticed none of the pistons would compress, opening the bleeder only let a couple move.
>>
>>27977578
Well there you go then.
>>
>>27974397
yeah the escape is fine, just avoid the 1.x engines
2.0 awd is the best combo for reliability
>>
I guess I already know the answer but how come there's pretty much no solely supercharged WRXs on the net? They're super rare. I thought some people would do it just because they can in a world of people LS swapping golfcarts.
>>
>>27975100
the duratec DOHC motor sounded like a spaceship, ill never forget that car. won many a drag race in highschool against other retards in their shitboxes

> t. former 2000 SEL owner
>>
TLDR: Is Amsoil worth it?

Some more info, but I got my first new turbocharged car and I want to take care of it. So I've been doing all the oil changes for it at 3k intervals since that's what people recommend. I've also been using Amsoil but it can be fairly pricey. But I'm wondering at such short intervals, does it really matter?

Can I just use some good enough oil (Maybe penzoil ultra platinum, or costco kirkland oil?) and 3k intervals with marginal differences?
>>
>>27975596
most automotive chemicals will not kill you if you get a few drops on your hands, or inhale a little bit. they may burn or leave your hands feeling greasy, or in the long run give you cancer, but they wont kill you. you might get a little high if you inhale too much, ive felt this way after using spraypaint before.

the warnings on those cans are put there by legal teams who have to cater to 63 iq people and their families who will sue at the drop of a hat. “well we didn’t KNOW huffing brakleen would kill you! that should be on the bottle!”

now if youre in a non ventilated area and youre spraying shit everywhere, amd possibly bathing in it, and hell maybe even trying a little sip, these chemicals could absolutely kill you. but the bigger concern would be long term
brain/mervous system damage
>>
>>27977174
no you don’t have remote start

remote start is usually a hardware component that has to bypass the key cylinder/immobi to start the engine. so even if you bought a key, you couldn’t program it to remote start without a hardware modification
>>
>>27977688
if you’re not towing/tracking/offroading/idling 10 hours a day/doing anything that would put the engine through extra stress, youre wasting money by using such an expensive oil every 3k miles

use pennzoil platinum or mobil 1, as long as its full synthetic, its fine. unless the manual specifically calls for amsoil or you have a hookup to get it for cheaper
>>
>>27977681
superchargers are generally vampiric so when theyre connected to a small engine the performance gains just aren’t there compared to a turbocharger. turbochargers are far more efficient because they use waste gas instead of crank power. sure you have almost no lag with a SC but you can also just increase exhaust flow to limit your turbo lag, which will give you more power anyway

compare the supercharged chevy cobalt to the turbocharged one, more or less the same engine, but the turbo gets 55 more hp
>>
>>27977174
>Second question as well. If I buy a replacement fob ($Found some for $60) Is it possible to program myself or do I need to take it to the dealership?

yes, you can usually do it with a decent scan tool.
all depends on the vehicle.
like so https://www.tiktok.com/@alex.chaveiro/video/7296240584690240773

how much is the dealer charging for labor? how much for the fob?
maybe an indipendent shop or even a mobile mechanic could do it for you for cheaper thatn the dealership.
>>
Why are these so cheap?
>>
>>27977836
$26k is kinda expensive for something that ran when parked 30 years ago.
>>
File: CorollaWRC1.jpg (2.43 MB, 2100x1500)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
What is the bump on the roof?
Its like a roof scoop but not, is it aero
Does it have radar equipment inside
>>
>>27978002
Oh shit it is a roof scoop my bad
>>
How hard is it to replace a fuse box in a car?
>>
Do rally car drivers keep their foot flat on the throttle or take their foot off the throttle when taking a jump specifically during the instant of the jump but also the moments subsequently
>>
>>27978013
I imagine it depends on how they want the car to tilt in mid air.
>>
>>27978031
Are you jesting, or does the pistons moving back and forth create momentum or something?
>>
>>27978044
the wheels spinning. the effect will be way smaller than on a dirt bike, but it's there nevertheless.
>>
>>27978013
does "throttle" mean "gas pedal"?
no I am not an esl I am just a retard
>>
>>27978064
yes
yes
>>
File: PXL_20240916_135735611.jpg (1.36 MB, 2448x3264)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
What is this shit on my glow plugs? Did the previous owners grease it or something?
>>
>>27974333
The difference in height between the Forrester and Legacy Outback is negligible. The real answer is to get an audi a6 allroad with adjustable suspension
>>27975481
It's OK I guess. As long as you service the fluid and filters. Servicing those transmissions can be a real pain in the ass, the subframe and valve body need to come down
>>27978009
Usually not so hard
>>
Are RX8s really as bad as half the internet says? I’m so tired of reading/watching dozens of different opinion pieces that all claim it’s either a total piece of shit or ‘really underrated’.

I ride a street legal two stroke bike so I’m not afraid of topping up oil or letting an engine warm up.
>>
>>27974324
i have to change my brakes on a 2020 outlander. i dont have any prior experience. is it complicated? do i need any special/expensive tools? any youtube vids that could help? is watching a youtube tutorial enough to do it safely and effectively? again i never changed brakes on a car, i heard you had to put the car in maintenance mode or something like that. what would you do in my situation? pay 1k to a garage or pay 300 for the parts and do it yourself?
>>
>>27978195
Probably neversneeze
>>
>>27978548
If it just needs pads, it's like $300 at a tire shop. If the car has stuck calipers or something its more expensive but also too complicated for you. Just take the car to the local tire shop. Its way too complicated for you
>>
>>27974324
Would ripping one too many handbrake slides lead to the rear brakes sticking?
>>
>>27978677
Not directly, no.
>>
>>27978350
I've never driven one but I can tell you that they're the ugliest "sports cars" I've ever seen on the road. That front wheel flare makes it look like a PT Cruiser.
>>
I just got my first car that has one of these automatic turn off engine when stopped in traffic dealies. Do I need to worry about it stressing out my starter motor? On one hand it's using the starter motor much more, on the other it's not like it's starting from cold each time.
>>
>>27974324
Need to replace a nonfunctional window regulator, which I’ve never done before – the regulators I have replaced in the past were still operational, making lowering the glass to unmount it very simple.
How do you lower the window on a window regulator with a broken motor?
2001 Honda Civic EX sedan.
>>
>>27979198
Try tapping on the motor with a small hammer or something. Sometimes it just needs a tap to start temporarily moving again.
>>
>>27979200
Thanks, I’ll try that later.
>>
>>27979129
Auto stop start does wear out the battery, starter and engine. If you disable it, your car will have lower maintenance costs over a longer lifespan but it will also burn an extra gallon of gas per month if you sit at really long traffic lights every day. If you have normal traffic lights it has no noticable impact on fuel consumption
>>
>>27979129
Theoretically the starters and batteries are stronger to cope with it. However, you are a retard if you trust anything on a new car not to break, so I’d keep it off just to be safe.
>>
The auction for my Prizm has started and it ends Thursday.
If anyone is interested, I’ll post the link.
Paid membership to Copart ($99/year minimum) is required to bid.
No bids yet, but the minimum starting bid is $80.
Car requires extensive repairs to the right rear quarter panel.
>>
File: Screenshot.png (138 KB, 1998x1056)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
Hello, /o/. I'm looking into buying a corolla gts and found a decent looking one. I ran a carfax on it and it came back clean, but the information is showing its FWD? I always thought all AE86/AE88s were RWD? Can anyone confirm this?
>pic rel, its the carfax
>>
>>27979580
Ae86 crapola is rwd. Everything crapola after that was fwd
>>
>>27979590
It's the 3door lift back, aka the takumi special, so I'm not sure why the carfax report is saying its FWD when it shouldn't be. I figured this was some sort of weird thing with their system or something, but I just wanted to make sure, so thanks for the response!
>>
>>27974324
What's the worst that could happen if you don't resurface a warped head.
(And assuming you don't let the car overheat)?
>>
>>27974742
Does the whole move back, does it jostle ? Or just the back rest?
If the former, then you probably just need to tighten the floor bolts that secure the chair.
>>
>>27975373
>Under bubbling
It's over anon. Paint pens alone will not fix that. Bubbles under paint means that those parts have been rusted through, ie. They're gone. You'll need to get some body filler along with some fine grit sand paper (600 all the way to 3000 grit). Chrisfix has a really helpful video on patching rust bubbles. Look it up and get to work, you don't wanna ignore those bubbles.
As for the quality of paint pens, depending on how old your car is, the paint has probably faded and the pen won't match, but I think it's better than nothing
>>
>>27979198
>2001 Honda Civic EX
if the regulator is stuck becuae motor is dead or seized, you should just be able to unbolt the motor
or worst case cut the cables.
just be careful not to drop your glass
>>
File: IMG_6304.jpg (2.59 MB, 2507x2266)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB JPG
>>27979788
I discovered there’s no need because the motor was unplugged. The motor works but the regulator itself is fucked.
I also realized my dumb ass purchased a regulator for the wrong door, so I’ll have to swap it out for the correct one.
>>
>>27979384
>>27979296
yeah I don't really be sitting in long traffic, when I'm in congestion it tends to be very stop-start. I'll knock it off.
>>
>>27974397
Is the RAV4 a crossover now? I thought it was still body-on-frame
>>
Live in Chicago and getting a new car. Should I get it ceramic coated before, or after I get a krown treatment? Should I do any PPF as well?
>>
>>27980359
I would think after
because you're going to wash/claybar before ceramic coating
I woudlnt want to get any of the stuff they use for cleaning the under carriage/removing salt+oils before applying the krown treatment to get on my ceramic coated paint, potentially removing it, weakening it or whatever.

here is a good vid, some Q&A with Eric O, if you want to know more about krown stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSg0yvwcbXA

>PPF
I wouldn't, but thats just me
becuase bigger rocks will still get trhough, then when the shit get s old and damaged it spider webs and looks like shit unless you get new ppf installed.
>>
>>27980418
Very informative video, thanks dude.
>>
What kind of car is this photo taken in? Looks like some 00’s Toyota to me but idk.
>>
>>27980454
yeah no problem, there is a part 2 where you can see them applying the treatment, etc
>>
Really dumb question, but for context, I have a motorcycle. I’ve only ever driven automatic cars. I’m buying a car tomorrow that is a manual. Is it just like driving a motorcycle?
In other words-
>make sure in neutral
>clutch and/or break in
>shift first
>break off
>slowly release clutch and press gas lightly at same time
>full clutch release
>cluch in
>2nd
>clutch out
>clutch in
>start breaking
I’ve gone for so long doing this, I’m afraid to ask how to do it properly.
>>
>>27976545
Just get a skid plate.
>>
>>27978195
Yeah definitely antiseize and you should use some too.
>>
>>27980120
Tangentially related I went to replace a friend's regulator and saw that it had already been replaced with the exact same O'Rly part, but one of the bolts holding the window to the regulator had rattled loose causing it to come off the tracks when rolling. I put loctite on and it's been staying together so far. You may want to do the same.
>>
>>27980694
It's the exact same
>>
Has there ever been a time when a company sold a race car chassis with hand picked stage 4 engines from the factory with a full race modification thats larping as a road car, and then that is delivered to a dealership and some russian oligarch can buy it? Like take a family saloon and make it a race car so like 35k +200k
So a 3.5:20 ratio for road car vs built asf car
>>
why the fuck do they put so much oil in cars?
I wanted to save money so i watched youtube vid on how to do oil change and it was pretty easy so i went under my car and unscrewed the oil plug and put an old wok pan under it to catch the oil since it's pretty big and HOLY FUCKING SHIT that fucking thing would not stop gushing, it filled the wok and started overflowling, it made a huge mess
why the FUCK do they put swimming pool worth of fucking oil in that thing?
>>
>>27981108
it varies engine to engine but the standard is usually around 5 quarts. some performance cars have bigger oil pans, like the ford coyote famously has a 10 quart oil capacity

oil changes aren’t hard, but catching all the old oil is the messiest part. if youre gonna do it next time, just order an oil drain container from amazon that fits your cars capacity
>>
File: 20240917_045749.jpg (3.85 MB, 4160x3120)
3.85 MB
3.85 MB JPG
>>27974324
Why can't I seem to clean off that crap around C15? How do I find out the ramifications of not having a functional capacitor at that spot in my OBD1 ECU? Pictured is the replacement capacitor that won't solder down.
>>
File: 20240917_045701.jpg (2.82 MB, 4160x3120)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
>>27974324
>>27981185
At least this side should be accepting my solder.
>>
>>27981185
>>27981187
I think it's the circuit board coating that has reacted with something, probably chemicals leaking from that capacitor.
as long as the trace underneath is ok it shouldn't hurt anything. a dremel with some non-aggressive polishing wheels may be able to get it off.
>>
>>27981108
That's funny, I made this mistake a few days ago with a compressor. I was like "The block is smaller than my head, how much oil can the sump possibly hold". Turns out more than the 2 quart container I was using could contain.
>>
I'm looking at 2-3 years old cars returned after a lease. I noticed I few I like which are missing 1-2 oil changes in the expected maintenance schedule. How fucked should it be the engine if skipping that on a newish car? Is it true the factory supplied oil and filter can handle better than subsequent replacements?
For context, I'm shopping Mazda3/CX-30/CX-5 with naturally aspirated Skyactiv-G 2.5l engines.
>>
>>27981197
After removing the replacement capacitor and cleaning up a bit, it's almost as if the corrosion or whatever eliminated the pad that was there, leaving a soft material that resembles cardboard after scraping away said corrosion.

What do, and how was my car able to run with a capacitor that caused such damage to the board?
>>
>>27981518
You will have to repair the trace with a wire, search youtube for repairing circuit board traces. You can either scrape a length of coating from the existing part of the trace and solder a thin solid wire to it then solder that to a capacitor lead, or you can solder a wire from the previous connection on the circuit board to the capacitor.
>how was my car able to run with a capacitor that caused such damage to the board?
hard to say. it's possible the capacitor was still passing current, it could just be a filter cap so the voltage was fluctuating more than it should but not enough to make the circuit malfunction noticeably.
>>
File: file.png (479 KB, 1533x640)
479 KB
479 KB PNG
Will these kill me? Want to start doing my own oil changes.
>>
>>27981577
what an overpriced piece of plastic
just use some leftover wood or dig a small trench in the dirt behind your house
>>
>>27980226
I though it was based from the Corolla, always unibody.
>>
More of a technical question
>Have 2009 X-Type
>Has satnav rather than the standard radio
>Because it's 2009 there's no usb or aux ports
>No problem for the aux port because you just use an adapter in the cigarette lighter
>Problem is this is only for things like charging a phone and you can't play music through it
>Standard radio has CD player and cassette
>Which means you can just use a cassette to aux adapter to play music
>The "upgraded" satnav type doesn't have a cassette player so you can't do that
>As far as I know we never reached the point of having a CD to aux adapter

tl;dr how how do I into aux car music when there doesn't seem a simple way to do it?
>>
Is a catalytic converter even important for running a car ? I had some rattling in my 95 Dodge Dakota which has since now gone away, but I still get lower performance at higher speeds. I took it in to a shop and they told me the catalytic converter was falling apart and would take $1500 to replace. Is this something I can just ignore or nah? Or is there something I could run through the engine to clean it out since it no longer rattles? Thanks
>>
>>27981633
yes, driving without it is killing the planet but the car doesn't actually need it to work
>>
>>27981632
FM Transmitter like this for AUX only

https://xtrons.co.uk/wireless-fm-transmitter-mini-aux-adapter-fm02

If whatever you're playing the music from has Bluetooth, you can use this, which is what I've personally used with my MP3 player

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UNBREAKcable-CH-Bluetooth-FM-Transmitter/dp/B07XYY9W2X
>>
>>27981633
The car might get grumpy and throw an engine light, but no, you don't need a Catalytic Convertor and the car will run fine without one. Look for a "Decat pipe" or "Test pipe" for your car, they usually have a place to put the sensor so it tricks the car into thinking it has a cat, meaning no engine light.
>>
>>27981714
I think that first one will be better because it's an ancient 6th gen iPod. I don't think there's any bluetooth or anything on it.
I'd just use my phone, but I prefer that for the satnav because it's easier to position and see.
Thanks I'll try one of those.
>>
>>27974324
is it bad for the car if I have the foot on the gas while switching gears manually when beating an automatic?
>>
File: breitbandsonde.jpg (43 KB, 1225x751)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
is this o2 sensor thing worth replacing or will my car be fine with a bad sensor?
>>
>>27981754
Which one? There are 2 sensors per catalytic convertor. Post cat o2 sensors will throw up a CEL and nothing more, pre cat o2 sensors are vital to how the car runs and need to be working correctly.
>>
>>27981786
my obd2 says P0140 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2) so I assume its the downstream one
>>
>>27981792
Yeah, that can probably be safely ignored. All it does is monitor if your cat is doing it's job.
>>
do any of you use this board a lot despite not owning a car
i just like to talk about random shitboxes and learn a little bit
i do have forza as sort of an "outlet" but it's not perfect. once i get my license ill just buy a fucking honda fit or something
>>
File: file.png (311 KB, 1188x890)
311 KB
311 KB PNG
I'm in the middle of an engine swap. The plastic intake tube that connects the throttle body to the AFM/MAF on the other side of the engine bay sits a little too close to some of the accessory belts. I want to somehow bridge the gap between the MAF connection and the tube.
Are these silicone tubes usually stiff enough that I could tighten the rubber-end of the intake tube onto this without crushing it?
Otherwise, I will buy an aluminum 2.75" coupler and snap it to the MAF connection with a rubber coupler and then connect the intake tube to the aluminum coupler. This'll probably $20 more but at least I know it'll work.
>>
>>27981591
Lame
I'm never getting rid of my Grand Vitara even if I have to replace the entire drivetrain and running gear as long as there's a frame under it I'm gonna roll it
>>
>>27982132
No, these silicone tubes will buckle like rubber. You *might* get a seal and it *might* stay put just cause of the friction of the two parts, but the chance of it coming off probably wouldn't be zero, so I wouldn't chance it.
>>
Anyone has a clean link to a Torque full APK that runs in the current Android version?
>>
File: 20240917215319_1.jpg (444 KB, 1481x759)
444 KB
444 KB JPG
Hello, I know nothing about cars. Is this wrong? This looks wrong. The big stick out thing is the transmission right? I'm trying to make a mid-engine car, shouldn't the transmission be inside the chassis tunnel like it is on a front-engine car?
>>
>>27981792
Just got a VW GTI. Used car, drove it for a week before taking it in for the pump recall, get the car back and now my turbo isn't making the blow-off valve psssh sound when I get off the throttle after revs. How likely is it the dealer service shop fuck up, and is it something I can fight to get fixed?
>>
>>27982730
>The big stick out thing is the transmission right
You mean out the back of the engine? Yes. It's a bit squashed together because Automation uses a normal transmission instead of a transaxle, but it otherwise looks correct to me. The transmission will point to the driven wheels, which in your case is the rear wheels. If it's AWD, there will be a shaft leading to the front wheels too, but the trans will still be placed at the rear of the car.
>>
>while this should deserve it's own thread I think it would derail quickly
In the event of a road rager, ignoring who wronged who first, and they end up following you for miles. What's the appropriate response? Is running literally the only self-defense option I have?

I ended up driving to the police station and the dude fucked off, and turns out his car had no plates. After the report, the cops suggested it was an attempted car jacking.
>>
File: th-2563402739.jpg (26 KB, 474x464)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>27974324
>car used to take a second to speed up after flooring it with an S-curve like performance
>today it's perfectly linear, immediate response, lower top
>>
>>27983042
take it back immediately and have them fix it. do not pay a cent more
>>
>>27983160
What I've done is slow down significantly so the trip takes ages, call the cops and have them catch the follower. They're so tunnelvisioned they don't even notice the flashing lights
>>
>>27982132
aluminum coupler
>>
>>27983160
never stop or get out of your car.

the one time i escaped from a road rager i lost him in a neighborhood after he followed me for about 2 miles. just have to make sudden and random turns
>>
>>27981987
/o/ is a collection of
> normal people who own a few cool cars (<10%)
> shitposters and shills with dubious car ownership (~30%)
> people who own solely shitboxes, of widely ranging character (~40%)
> people who don’t own any car (20%)
>>
>>27981577
nah they're fine, i've used them for years. just make sure they sit flat on the ground, check them for cracks before using them each time, and check for weird bulges after driving on them also shake the car to make sure it's stable before getting under
>>
>>27981633
You can get chink ones that work well enough for any state but california and NY for like $80 on amazon. if you can use a sawzall and exhaust clamps they're easy to install.
>>
i got a 2nd gen prius and drained the AGM battery to 1.9 volts by leaving the lights on for three hours. apparently they can survive being drained that low.
the vehicle was a pin in the ass to troubleshoot. any tips on working with prius's? also the battery was obnoxious to access, are all the prius stuff a pita to work on?
also the infotainment screen stopped working and it stopped logging miles on the odometer, lol
>>
>>27983114
How the fuck do I organize the engine bay in a way that seems realistic?
>>
File: ob2.png (564 KB, 1907x1023)
564 KB
564 KB PNG
Hello /o/
Will this chinkshit allow me to read the codes on my Peugeot 607 from 2000?
I can post the picture of the plug if needed. I just want to be able to read the codes.
Thanks
>>
>>27984036
elm327 based bluetooth scan tools are compatible with a wide array of phone apps with free updates at a similar cost
>>
>>27984057
sure but are they compatible with my shitbox?
>>
File: Advanced trim settings.jpg (1.27 MB, 3840x2068)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>27983890
Mmmm... There are some options you can play with in the "advanced trim settings", but I doubt you'll get it to exactly what you want. Theres a mod on the workshop with engine bays and related items, but it's a lot of faff. I didn't have the patience.
>>
>>27984124
I think yes, most post 2000 cars are supported
>>
What is the cost of building a mile of road in materials and man-hours?
>>
The sticky says to look for CARFAX threads.

Can anyone check on this VIN?

5TFDY5F19MX041473

Thank you.
>>
>>27984585
You need a "VIN" thread. Not that often lately, not only from carfax.
>>
I had a 2012 E-class, the engine crapped out. I decided to just sell it as a non-runner and replaced it with a C-class, but I haven't been able to find anyone in the last 6 weeks interested in the E-class. My mechanic reckons he can get a used engine and fit it for 3000, so I'm thinking I could get him to do that and then just sell the E-class as a normal used car for like 12K and my ass is covered. Is this a dumb plan?
>>
>>27984661
Not a dumb plan. It's pretty much your only option
>>
>>27974324
I’m sure I can figure it out myself, but I’m going to call it a night after installing my new window regulator after work, and either take a look at it tomorrow or later this week.
So, I’m pretty sure I’ve secured all mounting bolts for the motor and regulator, however, I did have to use one of the phillips screws from the old motor to secure the lower mounting hole (that might be the culprit), as I noticed the glass wasn’t lowering properly when I first tested the regulator with the door panel off; everything seemed to be working fine after I have completely secured the regulator with the phillips screw.
After I have secured the door panel back into place, I tested the window again and while it will lower just fine most of the way down, the glass wants to go off track 90% of the way down and I noticed the door panel will bulge out. That’s when I decided to give up on it, for now.
The window regulator is supposed to have four 10mm bolts holding it into place, but I only had three, and I used a phillips screw to secure the lower end of the regulator. The same goes for the window motor, where there’s supposed to be four 10mm fasteners securing it to the door, but I only had three. I’m not sure if getting the proper fasteners will solve the issue, but then again, that may be it.
I’m also going to need to check the fasteners securing the window tracks.

Got any other ideas for me to check?
2001 Civic
>>
>>27974324
Why are CVT transmissions expensive to repair or not serviceable at all? You would expect a simpler design to be easier to repair.
>>
>>27984332
Basically I mean the whole idea was to make something like a Boxster. I love Boxsters, and the primary reason I love them is because they use the Boxer engine economically so that you have a generous frunk and moderately okay trunk, making it probably the most practical day-to-day mid-engine car on that alone.

Thing is, I have no idea how to get it working like that in Automation. Main issues I see being:
-Even if I'm trying to use a wide, short engine like a boxer, for some reason the game uses the inside of the rear wheel wells as it's width limit even if I'm trying to fit the engine totally in front of the wheel well. Kind of defeats the point of using a wide engine layout compared to a long one when mid-engine
-I have no idea how to organize all the engine bay components to make at least an empty space in where I can at least pretend the trunk goes.
>>
How long can you run an engine without coolant ?
I'm putting a build back together and I just wanted to check shit before I get all the coolant lines back on. It's a simple iron block 4 cylinder + aluminum head engine.
>>
>>27984839
I mean it depends how warm it gets, which depends on so many different things. If you could blast it with compressed air or something while running it it might give you more time. But it's not really an answerable question.
>>
>>27984885
Fair enough. Shot in the dark, a minute or two wouldn't blast a head gasket right ?guess I'll find out tomorrow.
>>
>>27984907
Why not have it hooked up to a test radiator, or at least fill and plug the engine? I'd imagine water and antifreeze are a lot cheaper and less hassle than a seized engine.
>>
File: IMG_7807.jpg (856 KB, 2048x1536)
856 KB
856 KB JPG
>>27974324
Hey I’m having starter issues of picrel, I went to 5 different mechanics here in japan all of them said “no, car too old we won’t work on it”
So I guess it’s up to me to fix it. How do I look the correct part? Is there a part number I can look up? Never really done any mechanic work aside from changing oil and doing basic maintenance…
>>
File: IMG_9744.jpg (89 KB, 601x515)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
I have a k24a4 accord what can I do for under 5k to get as much power outta this Japanese land yacht
>>
>>27985435
paint it red
>>
>>27977017
it's nowhere near that simple. Your the kind of retard that would turn the can upside down and grenade the compressor with liquid freon.
>>
>>27978350
Yes, most get to 100k miles before the compression drops low enough to cause hot start problems requiring a rebuild. What sucks is everything else on the car is solid, just the engine is trash.
>>
i want to change my spark plugs but i don't have a torque wrench. will auto zone or o'reilly let me borrow one if i buy them there and change them in the parking lot?
>>
>>27985444
They should either have a loaner in their tool cart or a rental.
>>
Looking to buy my first manual to daily, is the 06-08 scion tc reliable/good?
>>
>>27985515
Yes, I just sold mine but it served me well for 8 years. Zero powertrain issues, just standard wear on suspension components and brakes.
>but it burns oil
Yes, it burns oil; no, it doesn't matter if you change it every 3k miles. It's only 4 quarts. Keep the fifth quart in the jug and top it off as needed. Try not to break the tailgate handle, they are all incredibly flimsy for some unknown reason. Sunroof might rattle when open but it's a fucking nice sunroof in a car that you should be able to find under $4K.
>>
File: Flat 6 Mid Engine.jpg (1.85 MB, 2149x1208)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>27984828
I will admit, I'm not entirely sure why you're struggling. Assuming you have an appropriately sized body and don't make the engine too wide (bore determines the size of the engine), you shouldn't have any trouble recreating the desired cargo space, especially with a Flat style engine. I have a minor blue warning for clearance issues with a DOHC 96mm bore Flat 6, but that's perfectly normal for this kind of setup. Boxsters are tight to work on in situ IRL, too.

>for some reason the game uses the inside of the rear wheel wells as it's width limit even if I'm trying to fit the engine totally in front of the wheel well
The game has a fixed location for the engine, regardless of if you move it with the advanced trim fixtures. I don't have much experience with mid engine bodies, but I don't think I've seen a single one where the engine doesn't have to squeeze between the wheel wells in some capacity.

>I have no idea how to organize all the engine bay components to make at least an empty space in where I can at least pretend the trunk goes.
Maybe this is a body issue? The game has obvious and often annoying limitations, but looking at pic rel, you can see that there is a very obvious area where a compartment could sit, exactly like a Boxster.
>>
>>27984828
>>27985620
Oh, and here's a cross section of a Boxster for reference. I figure you've maybe seen one anyway, but I'd argue my car in automation actually looks far more spacious than the Boxster.
>>
>>27984798
Don't quote me, but per my humble investigation:
A simpler design could deliver the same results, for a shorter period (5-10 years vs 10-20)
or require higher quality parts to make it last to 10-20 mark - which they're not interested on delivering
or require less tolerant tools/procedures, which makes the maintenance more expensive, without adding much cost during the manufacturing process

While you could still change the CVT fluid at home:
It's overall more expensive than the typical ATF for a close match at the same manufacturer
It's overall more complex: no dipsticks, need a scan tool to check the level, replacement should be done at specific temperature, etc
That's why a took many of the newest Honda/Toyota models from my shopping list in favor of more old school designs like Mazda Skyactiv 6sp AT
>>
>>27985551
Are these still cop magnets or more expensive to insure?
I know they look faster than they are and many end in accidents because young and/or irresponsible drivers.
>>
>>27984839
Is it because of the coolant cost or the effort of connecting everything?
If it's the cost, how about putting water first? You should later flush it and replace it with the relevant coolant.
>>
>>27985849
Not in my experience. Insurance for mine hovered around $20/mo and I've never been pulled over in my life.
>>
File: 20240918205516_1.jpg (868 KB, 2560x1440)
868 KB
868 KB JPG
>>27985620
This is what I'm talking about. The game's logic uses that default position in-between the wheel well when there's all that space behind the seats where a bigger, wider engine could go. Same reason why making transverse engines feels like a waste a lot of time in the game. Sure advanced trim features let you move the engine but that's just cosmetic. And the exhausts never actually poke out far enough from the body paneling.
>>
>>27985987
Oh and like you show with the cross-reference picture the intake manifold's actual intake should be facing somewhere near the vents in the back of the boxster instead of pointed directly at the back of the seats but all things considered that's one of the smaller issues.
>>
>>27984839
about a minute
but you can dump some plain water in there for testing, just drain when you're done
>>
File: IMG_6513.jpg (121 KB, 750x950)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>27979392
Car sold for $300.
>>
>>27979392
>>27986132
literally scrap value. why not just haul it to the scrapper yourself, why waste time with this?
>>
>>27986141
Because it’s part of an insurance claim.
>>
File: IMG_6515.jpg (2.54 MB, 4032x2268)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>27984775
Found and fixed the issue.
Glass now lowers completely without a hitch.
>>
How do I tell if a certain combination of aftermarket wheel, hub-centering ring, and wheel spacer (with hub-centric flange) will all fit together? Do I just need to buy them and pray that the test fit works out? I know all the measurements of all the parts involved, but what's never provided on the spec sheet is the exact size and angle of the hub-centric flange chamfer. If that doesn't play nice with the wheel's hub-centering ring then it's over.
>>
>>27986307
If everything is based on the car’s original bolt pattern, then you should be good.
>>
>>27974324
My clutch pedal feels really light sometimes, but not always. I'd say every 1/10 times I drive the clutch has almost no resistance. Then I'll drive again later in the day and it'll feel normal. The clutch isn't slipping, even under lots of torque, so I don't think it's worn out, but I do have almost 120k miles on it so maybe it is. Should I burn my house down for insurance money or just not worry about it?
>>
>>27983160
A guy followed me once after honking and shit so I just drove to a freeway underpass where a lot of hobos live and parked waiting for him but he pussied out
>>
>>27986314
Isn't there a certain amount of play with bolts? It's lug bolts, not studs, if that makes a difference. I have wheel hangers but I'm not sure if I trust a pair of those to take care of perfectly aligning everything.
>>
>>27986340
I don’t have any experience with wheel modifications, so I doubt there shouldn’t be any play on the wheel studs, as there shouldn’t be any when they’re mounted normally through the hub assembly.
>>
I am looking to buy a scan tool. It needs to do 3 things:
>read codes
>clear codes
>be usable with bmw ista or whatever it’s called
Anyone have suggestions on how to narrow down my search, how much money should I expect to spend? I do not need anything complicated like live data
>>
>>27986360
Good luck
>>
any prius chads here can help me?
>>27983871
>>
>>27986325
seal failing in the clutch master cylinder most likely.
>>
>>27986484
>>27983871
get a code reader that can do the dealer stuff like a launch elite, or a chinese techstream cable with the pirated software. possibly just needs the codes cleared to remove all the fake faults from the low battery. otherwise if the codes come back they'll give you more insight into what's wrong with it
>>
File: 1726778467377.jpg (159 KB, 768x1024)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
What might cause such poor contact between pad and the inside (piston side) of the rotor?
All this shit was replaced a mere two years ago - premium coated ATE rotors, ceramic ATE pads, new calipers, new fluid, even the fucking brackets are new.

The outside of the rotor is great, on both sides of the axle, yet the inside is evidently making contact with less than half of the rotor surface.

In addendum, does anyone have experience with TRW's DTEC COTEC pads?

Please respond.
>>
>>27986643
Slide pins may need lubrication. I typically use silicone grease.
>>
should i buy a 2024 corolla suv?
>>
Anyone have any experience with Valvoline restore and protect? I got a high mileage Toyota I was going to try it on after reading reviews and watching a few videos.
>>
Is their computer software that test the aero on a car? I can draw and want to try designing some cars, but I also want to know how shit my design is in terms of function
>>
>>27986970
It's a relatively new product, so anyone claiming it's making a noticeable difference at this stage is probably suffering placebo. I'm personally a cynic, seems like every few years they come out with a new gimmick for high mileage oil. If you're curious, you ought to start using it now. If it does do anything good, you won't start seeing it until after a few changes. If you're worried about it doing anything bad; don't. It won't.
>>
Gona replace clutch slave and master cylinders. Do you need to bench bleed ? Can't I just get someone to hit the clutch and I'll bleed it at the slave a few times?
>>
>>27986132
did you buy it for $300?
no? then why do you care anymore?
>>
>>27986325
>so I don't think it's worn out, but I do have almost 120k miles on it so maybe it is.

lots more working parts than just the clutch disc
maybe other things are wearing out, lacking lubrication, etc
>>
>>27986643
>What might cause such poor contact between pad and the inside (piston side) of the rotor?

inside pads are not sliding smoothely in their grooves or are jammed in there, so its just a hard spot and the slide pins slide and outside pads take up the work

rip that fucker off of there and look. takes about 10 minutes tops
>>
>>27986643
>>27987464
is the rear pad in there backwards?
>>
>>27974324
Hey Auto I need your help.
Took my mazda6 2.2 2013 into the specialist yesterday (Fault codes have come up to say the the circuit is low to the pressure sensor).

The specialist has said that whilst inspecting the engine they found that the coolant was very low. And there is evidence of combustion gas in the coolant system.

From this they want to inspect the engine but need to pull it out and take it apart just to find if they are correct.

Before the sensor failure I noticed no issues with the engine and now reason for concern, no warnings about the coolant.

They are having me on aren't they.
>>
>>27987455
I was letting you guys know there’s no need to inquire about it, if you were interested in getting the car.
>>
File: cracked-roads.jpg (195 KB, 1110x740)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
what is the sexy car on the left?
>>
>>27987833
Lancer
>>
>>27987836
Thank you. Do you reckon it's modified? Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks debadged and like a sport version. Any guess what year?
>>
How the FUCK do I go about buying a Toyota Tundra TRD Pro?

The last 5 or 6 that I've inquired about the minute they are posted (after hours mind you) have e-mailed me/called me saying that there's a pending sale on the truck. A few of them have told me that employees have offers on them.

Any tips to get better success rates at making a deal? I'm looking nationwide because the midwest has literally had 2 TRD Pros for sale both "sold" with pending deals after.
>>
>>27987361
most likely won't need to be bench bled but depends on the car.
if you can fill up the slave cyl with fluid before installing by putting the hose end into a bottle of brake fluid and squeezing it to suck the fluid up, do that, it'll make bleeding much faster.
>>
>>27987604
before cracking it open, check for oil in teh coolant system, coolant in the oil (foamy like mayonnaise), and use a head gasket tester to check for exhaust gases in the cooling system.
if positive i'd just keep driving it until it gets worse, doesn't sound like it's causing problems and it could run for months or years like that. if it's a shitbox, add the head gasket sealer in a can stuff, but only if you're absolutely sure the HG is trashed.
>>
>>27987928
mexicans love these things so they're in huge demand.
you're going to have to overpay or settle
>>
how do bad auto manufacturers still exist? honda and toyota and a few other luxury brands are the only ones people buy. why does nissan exist?
>>
>>27987928
Buy a nigsan frontier instead for like $20k less
>>
>>27988316
>honda and toyota
>luxury brands
You need to do more research on car manufacturers.
>>
I’m in the US and want something station wagony like a Prius v, what are my other options?

Thank you
>>
>>27988548
Honda Crosstour
Subaru Outback
>>
>had a chance to get a 2.5L 2010 golf for like $15k a year ago
>thing had about 70k miles on it
>passed it up because the headliner was in bad shape and the dealer was kinda sketchy (mostly just trying to nickel and dime me and being reluctant with some of the info)
did i fuck up
>>
>>27988700
Why TF would you pay 15k for a 10 year old VAG product? You fucked up by even considering buying it
>>
>>27988712
at the time civics from like 2010-2013 were going for the same price except with like 125k on them
prices have gotten better now though, i hadnt checked autotrader for months until you made me want to
>>
>>27988700
Nah. I like VWs but that's asking a lot for a 2010. I guarantee you there was no deal that existed last year that's better than any number of cars available right now. The market has only trended better.
Also stealerships are the devil. ESPECIALLY ones that show signs of being skeezy before the deal is even closed. You made the right choice.
>>
>>27988728
I would trust a 125k mile civic over a 70k mile VW any day of the week
>>
>>27988757
delusional weeb faggot
>>
>>27988826
The last VW I was in was a late 2000s Passat that was made out of such shitty plastic that the dashboard has literally started melting. Maybe those cars are fine in whatever godforsaken country germans live in but they disintegrate anywhere hot because everything is made out of unbelievably bad plastic. I have never had any parts melt on a nip car
>>
>>27988847
so you've been in one volkswagen that was a piece of shit so all of them must be shit
great thinking
>>
>>27988877
Look online and melting VW interiors is a common issue
>>
>>27988941
i live in finland, not my problem
>>
>>27989023
Are you an alcoholic and is your name Sven? Also are fin women interested in moving to tejas?
>>
File: grill.png (3.22 MB, 1518x1278)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB PNG
>>27974324
Center front grill cracked on my new M340i, rock probably kicked up. Any problems waiting a bit until I have time to fix it? (Just don't want to risk a larger rock getting in any causing damage, or anything like that)

Part is https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-parts/bmw-grille-center-right-51118075602
>>
>>27989141
Sorry m8 but it's totaled
>>
>>27989145
I know it's super minor so I feel dumb asking (why I'm in /sqt/). Just wanna make sure I'm not risking anything significant by leaving it for a bit basically.
>>
posting again cause 4chin keeps eatin mah posts

Trying to figure out if I've got a blown headgasket. popped the hood, took expansion tank cap off, started engine from cold, coolant in tank had no bubbles, frothing, etc. revved engine in neutral and it puked out a bunch of coolant. Is this normal, or a sign of a blown headgasket? NA gas motor, belt driven water pump, nothing fancy. Just want to know for sure it's the headgasket before I start pulling it apart.
>>
How did you pick your "favorite" car, /o/? I really like the Ford RS200 and I basically beat the entirety of Forza Horizon 5 (like 80 races) with it, but I'm not sure if it's really "the one". Of course I'll never buy one, but it's all about collecting things like diecast models and stuff.
>>
>>27989357
Oh man the rs2000 drift course with ten minutes by the get up kids off forza horizon 3 was the fucking highlight of the game for me.
>>
File: 1378242688992.jpg (18 KB, 251x251)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
bank 1
>3-5% at idle
>12-13% while accelerating/cruising

bank 2
>10-11% at idle
>14-15% while accelerating/cruising

dafuq is going on here? o2 sensors are a couple years old but have fuckall miles (like 30k i think) and same with intake gaskets as i had to do a head gasket around the same time i did the o2 sensors. it idles fine, drives fine, sounds fine and otherwise gets acceptable mileage, so its nothing obviously detrimental to the engine, but clearly there is still an issue somewhere that i would like to fix.
>>
>>27989825
forgot to mention those are positive trims, so the engine is running lean and the computer is adding fuel. and also the accel numbers are consistent with the amount of throttle input, they dont really change with how much youre pressing the gas.
>>
>>27987823
oh, alright then. hopefully your new vehicle works out better for you m8
>>
>>27989141
>>27989157
that piece is purely cosmetic. i wouldn't give it a second though. check car-part.com to find one in a local junkyard and a replacement would probably be like $10
>>
>>27987604
>From this they want to inspect the engine but need to pull it out and take it apart just to find if they are correct.

jesus christ.
go somewhere else and get a second opinion.
you dont neew to pull an engine to figure out if you have a bad headgasket
>>
>>27988548
honda CRV/HRV
>>
>>27989825
>>27989841
it's not terrible, but worth fixing. did you use an OEM o2 sensor when you replaced it or chinkshit? if chinkshit good chance that's the problem.
could also be a vacuum leak somewhere (smoke test it) or clogged injectors.
>>
>>27990003
>neew
***need
>>
>>27987604
>And there is evidence of combustion gas in the coolant system.
what is this evidence they speak of?
did they do a block test?
if they did a block test and there is combustion gasses in the coolant, then you probably have a bad head gasket. or potentially more severe damage, but more likely just a bad head gasket
>>
>>27990006
i used densos so (should be) gtg and apparently it was back in 2020. are you sure about a vac leak? I've always read that a high ltft at idle that drops with throttle is an indicator of a leak, but these aren't doing that. I could be wrong of course but just saying and I'll smoke it anyway as I do have a smoke machine.
>>
>>27990006
and again I forgot something, I did pull and clean the injectors about the same time back then for shits and giggles and they all were clear
>>
>>27989165
update, just ran a compression test (while cold again) and got equal readings across all cylinders (cheap tester so don't trust the numbers it gave me, but they were all exactly the same). Spark plugs look like the engine is running on the lean side (expected, there's a vacuum leak I'm trying to fix) but none of them look any different to the others. The only reason I'm checking this is that I'm losing coolant and the dipstick has a very small amount of milky residue on plus the oil is very slightly milky in appearance, but it is only slight plus there's no residue on the filler cap at all or any oil in the coolant. I'm going to get a block tester just to be sure, but i'm 50/50 that I'm chasing a non-issue at this point (aside from losing coolant of course).
>>
Is it stupid to ask if price is negotiable or should i just jump into it
>>
File: 7ad24d02.jpg (73 KB, 650x793)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
Does /o/ use sealer when installing paper or cork gaskets? What do you use?
>>
>>27990006
Well a smoke test confirmed the intake gasket is leaking on I think cylinder 1, so that solves that, but no visible leaks on bank 2 so I'm going to guess exhaust leak and check that later on when it's not 95 outside
>>
>>27991660
any unmetered air anywhere can throw off the mixture for both banks. it's possible that's your problem.
start it up and you should see STFT be approximately negative about the same as LTFT is positive, that means it's overriding its learned value with the correct value.
if problem persists, check MAF values against spec (when warm at idle usually about 1 g per liter of displacement), MAP values against atmosphere, and raw O2 sensor values.
>>
>>27985262
Here in USA, I can just Google search "JDM KEI shitbox parts" and It appears I can get all kinds of parts
https://ohkeigarage.com/
https://fast-east.com
https://minitruckgarage.com

Normally, you figure out the year/make/model then look up the parts you need for that car and order them
>>
>>27990924
Just jump into it.
You are entitled to have your own valuation, they are entitled to have theirs, and the two do not have to meet at a point where the purchase goes through.
If their asking price seems fine, I wouldn't try to lowball them since you signal you have no leverage if you have to jump back up.
>asking $10k
>you want the car but you lowball $7k
>he says he has 6 people lined up to buy it
>you now have to jump way up, showing that your $7k was nowhere near what you actually valued the car
If I was the seller and I saw that I'd hold firm at $10k. I wouldn't take an offer of $9500 from you.
If your initial offer was $9500, I might have taken it even with 6 more people lined up.

Have in mind what you are willing to buy the car for and negotiate around that value; don't throw numbers out at random or think it's some formulaic, "I'll throw out a number and we'll meet in the middle." If you have no actual number in mind, a dealership can get you to pay more than listed price by getting you to start moving up and then he adds extras on top to get you negotiating towards the higher number he swapped to.
>>
>>27974324
I lack a torque wrench
Should I even touch my wheel lug nuts?
>>
What should I get if I want a car with the simplicity of a Mitsubishi Mirage but enough power to not feel unsafe on Texas freeways?
I'm usually not one to whine about speed, but a car that has almost less than half the horsepower of a 90s Miata isn't gonna work.
$15,000 is all I've got.
>>
>>27991748
You're fine torquing them to "I could get these back off with a big wrench."
>>
>>27991751
E36, E46, or Z3 with an i6.
>>
File: jeeeeep.jpg (60 KB, 554x426)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>27974324
should I? hes asking 5k
>>
>>27991794
What's your use case?
They're ok appliances but they only get like 15MPG. If you have any male youthfulness in you and you don't do any trail riding, I would not get a soulless mall crawler when there are good-handling cars out there.
>>
>>27991660
and exhaust leak before your upstream o2?
>>
Trying to buy on a budget and want to pay cash all the cars I can afford are either private sellers or “as is specials”. I know what to expect from private sellers but dealers offering as is special scream scam should I bother with these specials? I have two kids under 4 which is why I’m being a pussy about.
>>
>>27991748
a torque wrench is a great buy. even the cheap harbor freight or amazon chinkshit ones are fairly accurate.
>>
>>27991871
skip the dealers. the cars are marked way up and generally shitty rebuilds unloaded from auctions and such. buy a well used car from a guy who you've confirmed has owned it for multiple years.
>>
>>27991815
>What's your use case?
15min drive to work not going over 45mph five days a week. offloading to kayaking spots on the weekend.
Iv'e been looking for a xterra or trialblazer but the jeep seems like one of the best cars in my price range in my area
>>
>>27991978
$5k is a lot for an old jeep. Those are known for transmission and electrical problems, certain engines were pretty bad. Personally id keep an eye out for a Subaru cause they are cheaper and easier to work on, better MPG. Especially if you're just throwing a kayak on the roof for the weekend and local commuting the rest of the time
>>
About 8 years ago I bought a "powered by super eurobeat" sticker ("powered" in hot pink and "super eurobeat" in rainbow colors), probably the best sticker to ever come out of /o/.
I need another one, does anyone on this board still sell it?
>>
>>27992051
Really depends on the mileage and condition. If it's around 100k miles, 5k is fine.
>>
3.5 chrysler v6 with the infamous tick. I've already replaced both rocker arm assemblies with new ones and it still makes the noise. Additives didn't work either. Sounds like a diesel engine and don't know how long it will go before It shits the bed. Should I still try and get it repaired or just drive it till it explodes? Anybody have this issue before with some tips maybe?
>>
>>27992583
Rev it all the way up and keep it pinned there until it gives and record the carnage for internet fame
>>
what's the best way to clean a gas siphon hose so i can leave it in the garage without getting paranoid of a fire hazard
>>
>>27991748
>Should I even touch my wheel lug nuts?
no
get a cheap 1/2 drive torque wrench and torque them in a star pattern
>>
>>27992819
Drain the gas out. Even if you had an open flame in your garage it is unlikely you could produce enough fumes to cause a problem, from a short piece of hose.
>>
>>27991748
>Should I even touch my wheel lug nuts?
you can put them back on with an ugga dugga gun, but I assume you dont have tha either.

a wrench/socket is good enough, star pattern, pretty god damn tight, go over them twice each wheel they
they're probably around the 90 ft-lbs mark
>>
>>27992819
drain the gas out, run water through it
>>
File: 1726994165368.jpg (57 KB, 474x474)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
I'm replacing some of the insulation In my Interior carpet. It came with a plastic liner on one side that you can peel off. Should I keep the plastic as a sort of waterproofing measure?
Picrel is the type of insulation
>>
>>27992583
you're sure it's not something like a leaking exhaust manifold? that can make a ticking like sound
anyway, i'd just keep driving it. take it easy on the throttle and it could last many months.
>>
>>27992998
peel it off so it can breathe. if water gets trapped under it it'll be mold city
>>
I might be getting a 2002 corolla 1.6l automatic with 85k miles. what am I in for?
>>
File: 350z.jpg (691 KB, 4343x2443)
691 KB
691 KB JPG
>aftermarket aluminum VS OEM plastic valve covers
which way?
>>
>>27993948
If you're keeping the car for the foreseeable future, then I'd absolutely go with the aluminium covers. If you only plan to keep it for a few years, then I'd get whichever is cheapest, which I think is the aluminium covers. It's a really tough decision, I know.
>>
>>27993948
they're fucking valve covers, it doesn't matter
whatever is cheapest on rockauto
>>
>>27993858
Boredom
Possibly some kind of mechanical or electrical problems
>>
>>27993963
350z's are pretty infamous for leaking around the sparkplug tubes due to the plastic covers warping. Same for BMW M5x engines, iirc. There's no world were metal cover's aren't superior to plastic.
>>
>>27993992
yeah after 150k miles
if you plan on driving it another 150k then it might be worth getting metal ones, sure
>>
>>27993992
It;s not warping, the non serviceable rubber seals give out over 20 years. I know, shocking.
>>27993961
>>27993963
I'll go aluminum
>>27993999
I do.
>>
>>27994002
>It;s not warping, the non serviceable rubber seals give out over 20 years. I know, shocking.
Ahh, that was it. I just remember my spark plug gaskets leaking, and forgot the specifics of why they were a pain in the ass. Maybe the warping valve covers thing was the Ford Ecoboom.
>>
>>27974324
I have a 2024 civic sport 2 liter
Does driving it in eco mod3 actually do anything?
Despite it accelerating slower im still doing 80. I heard it doesn't really do anything just supposed to encourage you to drive slower.
>>
>>27994457
When I had my Mitsubishi, eco mode made lower MPG and it was slow. I always put rentals in sport mode, and would never use "eco mode"
>>
>>27994488
Interesting
Ive owned it for 3 months and used eco almost exclusively
I'll wait for a few more anons to weight in but thanks for the insight.
>>
>>27994494
Im an aggressive driver, so theres literally never a time where I would use eco mode.
>>
swapped engine and trans. When the car is running it won't go into gear. I used the clutch alignment tool when installing the clutch and all that shit and to my knowledge, it seemed right. Clutch is facing the correct direction.
What do? raise the clutch pedal and see if that helps? Fuck me I don't want to drop the trans.
>>
>>27994672
new slave + master btw
>>
I just replaced the clutch in my shitbox and everything seems to be fine although the clutch feels easier to push in now. Not spongy but just way easier than it was before. Is this normal?

>>27994672
I wish I could help as I just replaced the clutch on mine but I barely know anything desu..
>>
>>27994507
Idk man i just wanna save some gas when im driving to work and home
>>
>>27994672
the clutch isn't disengaging when you press the pedal. are you sure the clutch is fully bled? air in the lines can easily cause that. it can be tough to bleed the slave cylinder.
>>
>>27994748
>I just replaced the clutch in my shitbox and everything seems to be fine although the clutch feels easier to push in now. Not spongy but just way easier than it was before. Is this normal?
yeah it could be especially if it's a different brand of clutch, different clutches/slave cylinders can have a different feel. as long as it engages smoothly and doesn't make noise/vibration, it's fine
>>
>>27994991
I used a little hand vacuum pump and bled it at the slave. I may get my wife to pump the pedal and I'll crack open the bleeder and do it that way as one last resort. If it's still fucked...I think I'll need to drop the trans. I know I didn't install the fucking clutch backwards! god damn it, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
>>
>>27994672
>>27994991
>>27995000
try gravity bleeding the clutch. fill the reservoir full then crack the bleeder valve and just let it sit dripping for at least 10 minutes or so, refilling the reservoir as needed. shake the car around a bit to burp it as you let it bleed as well. that can allow tough trapped air to escape.
>>
>>27995001
also, you checked that it will go into gear with the car off, correct? just making sure something in your shift linkage didn't get knocked loose in the process
>>
>>27995003
yea that's nbd. tried 2 man bleeding it and no difference. Resigned myself to thinking something is wrong with the install or some clutch pieces don't like each other for some dumb reason and so the fork isn't disengaging it as much as it should be...or at all. don't even think I may a lot more room to let it disengage more if I messed with the pedal height inside the car, maybe. might just buy an oem kit and redo all this...
>>
>>27974324
Have car that makes chirping kind of noise when it's cold. Swapped serpentine belt and checked the wheels aren't fucked, but the noise didn't go away. Noise sample:
https://files.catbox.moe/cknpm5.ogg
>>
>>27995505
>no info about vehicle
>just a sound clip

take off serp, start the car, see it it still does it.
try to pinpoint where its coming from exactly.
>>
>>27995528
Good idea, I'll try that

>no video
I try to not to dox myself on purpose and there isn't much to see, spinny bits are a bit hard to reach without an endoscope of some kind
>>
>>27995537
>>no video
I didnt say that
>>
>>27995544
Well not much to go off on your cryptic hints is there
>>
>>27995548
what the fuck?
I said "no info about vehicle"
all you said is
"Have car that makes chirping kind of noise when it's cold"
what kinda of car, what year, what engine
etc etc
there was nothing cryptic about what I posted
>>
>>27995505
you can watch these 2 vids for more tips advice about how to help pinpoint noises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIDSi-560pU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5CnsccJhvA

good luck man, hopefully its an easy fix
>>
>>27974324
What's an appropriate set of tools for an American car for basic maintenance and wrenching?
>>
>>27995925
decent sized set of sockets and ratchets, something with 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 deep and shallow. set of basic combination wrenches. vice grips, hammer, pliers, channel locks. oil drain pan. hydraulic jack and jackstands.
anything else buy as you need it.
a cheap torque wrench would be helpful to
>>
used dealership says they don't do Carfax. shady/red flag or something?
>>
>>27996668
not necessarily, they might just be too boomer to pay for it. if you're serious about the car pay the $15 and do it yourself.
worth it btw, i saved thousands one time when I almost bought a truck with the miles rolled back and the carfax caught it
>>
>>27996676
thanks. I just need the vin?
>>
>>27996691
yeah
>>
hey. getting into repairing my own shit for once
think i need an obd scanner. do i need obd1 or obd2? what scanner is good for a diy poorfag?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.