[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How do you know when to replace a timing belt?
Especially when the last guy doesn’t know when it was done.
>>
>>27980736
Follow the maintenance schedule outlined in the owners manual. The factory service manual will also in rude details of how to test whether it needs replacing or not.
>>
>>27980748
Oh sweet! Thanks anon. Anybody know how much it costs to replace?
>>
>>27980759
Probably $1000-2000.
>>
>>27980736
If you're uncertain replace it at the periodicity in the owner's maintenance manual even if you suspect that it might have been changed and the last owner might not have told you. If the car is old and there's a possibility that it hasn't driven for a while and it's been sitting, try to take a look at the timing belt if it is accessible with a flashlight and inspection mirror, look for any indications of excessive wear including cracking, deformation, any similar indications that the material of the belt may be wearing out.

A healthy timing belt should look like a continuous unbroken piece of rubber without excessive creasing, cracking, and it shouldn't look too dried out. If you're starting to see the reinforcing material mixed in with the rubber on either end of the belt, it's always a good bet to just replace to be safe. The belts themselves are usually inexpensive but service might be a little costly depending on the vehicle since oftentimes they are difficult to get to and may require the removal of the radiator or in the case of transverse motors like the 3000GT in your op a whole bunch of extra bullshit including engine mounts to easily reach and service.
>>
>>27980759
Parts if you do it yourself, or like $500-800ish if you go to a mechanic. Or if you want to get raped, go to a dealership
>>
>>27980798
No way, really?
>>27980848
Well, I’m supposed to be picking up a 3000gt today actually. It’s got over 100k miles.
I asked the guy if he knows when the last time it was replaced and he said he didn’t know, however he’s said it has no mechanical issues. Also the engine looks really clean.
Is it something that would be fairly easy to do myself, or is this one of those things it’s best to just get a mechanic to do?
>>
>>27981160
I'm actually a VR4 owner myself, it is a huge pain in the ass. It is actually what I was specifically referencing when I mentioned removing engine mounts and stuff.

If it is not a VR4 it is probably much easier.
>>
>>27980736
When you buy the car
>>
>>27980736
>itoddler filename
>picture of doug demoron
>retarded question that can be googled in 5 seconds
Name a more iconic trio
>>
>>27981369
Oh ok, it’s a 2d base model.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (204 KB, 1600x1066)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>27981992
If DOHC you still need to do it, plus the water pump and tensioner, and it's still an expensive pain in the ass, just less than for a VR4.
You might be "lucky" and have the SOHC base model, in which case it's relatively easy and cheap.
if the front valve cover looks like this (rounder-unpainted metal), it's an easy job. If the front valve cover is flat and black, expensive and hard. Just remember it's not just the timing belt, but the tensioner, water pump/pulley and you should do the accessory belts while you're in there.
>>
>>27980736
last guy doesn’t know when it was done = never been done
any owners going to keep a record of when the timing belt was done as it's an expensive job and having a record of it makes the car much easier to sell. Plus with something like a timing belt you should always assume the worst as if it breaks it can wreck your engine.
>>
>>27982155
>>27982173
We’ll, unfortunately it’s DOHC.
We rescheduled for Thursday, so technically I haven’t bought it yet. If it’s got over 100k miles, and it’s in fair to good condition, what would you guys say is a good price to pay? Considering he doesn’t know when the belt was changed.
>>
>>27980759
Depends on the car. The belts themselves are usually cheap. Make sure to replace tensioners.

If it's for the VR4 then it's like a $15 part but it's an absolute bitch of a job and the harmonic balancer is going to fall apart when you do it.
>>
>>27981369
>If it is not a VR4 it is probably much easier.
This. The v6 fwd version is ez, like a 2 hour job.
>>
>>27982155
DOHC is rare though, still not that bad. Way easier than an ecotec timing chain job. The hardest part is the balancer as long as you lock the cams in place 1st.
>>
>>27982430
>what would you guys say is a good price to pay?
If the headlights are mint pay whatever they want.
>>
>>27980849
>500-800
You’re stuck 15 years ago, if you do the belt/pump/tensioners, parts are 200-300$. They will charge at least 3 hours of labor.
>>
>>27980736
It means change it now.
>>
>>27980736

Unless we're talking about a Ferrari, a timing belt should last 100,000 miles. If there is no record of it being done and there is no sticker under the hood from the mechanic saying it was done, you should just assume it's never been done. If the car is over 200,000 miles and you don't know if it has been done a second time or not just buy a different car.
>>
>>27982430

Search auto tempest for other ones for sale to get an idea of what the current market is. You can also check Cars and Bids to see what they have sold for recently.
>>
>>27980736
Look at it and check if it's starting to rot

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.