[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1433.jpg (11 KB, 216x233)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Could Elio car have been a success if it wasn’t a scam?
>6k msrp
>84 mpg
>non electric so easy to repair and fuel.
>>
The 6k MSRP part is the truly ridiculous goal. 84mpg should be achievable with low rolling resistance + every aerodynamic trick in the book and basically a motorcycle engine/drivetrain.
>>
>>27982296
I've driven this car. It had a Geo Metro engine, automatic transmission, and instrument cluster. They did finally build examples of their 0.9L direct-injected 3 cylinder but the company was rapidly bleeding cash at that point.
It's sad, because I absolutely would have bought one if they'd made it into production.
>>
>>27982306
>basically a motorcycle engine/drivetrain
Not enough shit like that in the US.
>>
>>27982296
The most similar project, the Aptera, could be pretty successful if they ever get to production.
>up to 1k mile range
>charges itself
>lightweight
>right to repair
>>
Imagine having to test and certify that to be sold in various countries.
>>
>>27982647
3 wheeled cars are classified as motorcycles in the U.S. and are therefore held to far less stringent standards than cars, trucks and SUVs.
>>
>>27982612
I was gonna say, elio walked to aptera could run

I'm pretty damn confident in aptera and once they're actually filling orders the hype will be enormous
>>
>>27982296
gonna hijack this thread for the spiritual sister car, The Aptera. What's the deal with that thing? More vaporware?
>>
>>27983150
They’re supposedly building a few production-intent models right now to showcase the final product in hopes of securing the last round of funding needed in order to actually start selling the things. But they still need $60M.
>>
>>27983150
No I think they might actually make it to market.

However last I heard they will be priced about like a low end Camry or decked out Corolla which imo kind of defeats the point. They were originally going to be "cheap" but of course cost have ballooned.

If they can somehow sell it for significantly less than, say, a base model Kia Rio for their volume trims, they might have a shot at a long term market success, but if you can buy a conventional car for about the same price, nobody is going to buy a weird 2 seater 3 wheeler, outside of rich people buying it as a toy and eco hippies. It will fail on the mass market. You have to beat the cheapest conventional cars on price if you're offering less. Again Kia Rio, Hyundai Elantra, or like, Nissan Sentra, is the bar to beat. All of those are what a cheap new car in 2024/2025 looks like, they are all "normal" and they all have four doors and four seats.

I want them to succeed so bad but I just don't see it happening at the price I last am aware of (27-28K(?))
>>
>>27983150
the original model made it a point to have functional buttons on the dashboard.
the new model is a yoke and a tablet.
disgusting.
>>
>>27982296
A vehicle with those stats exists, it's called a motorcycle. You don't buy one because you're a pussy.
>>
>>27982612
>>27983133
I think the real issue with the Aptera is the steep as fuck cost compared to what you're getting. For $25k you could get used versions of so many infinitely more utile cars. The only thing it would have going for it would be the low cost of operation and I don't know if enough people really care about that to keep the company afloat.
>>
>>27982296
>Could Ellio's Pizza have been a success if it wasn’t a scam?
>$5 msrp
>9 slices
>square so easy to cut and eat
>>
>>27982296
I certainly would have bought it.
>>
File: cute.jpg (3.12 MB, 3588x2693)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB JPG
Don't mind me, just posting my three wheeler
Keep on trucking
>>
>>27983062
Close. One of the things Elio actually accomplished was pushing for "autocycle" classification in almost every state. Autocycle is like motorcycle except no helmet required in states with helmet laws.
>>
>>27983801
Using a Kia or Hyundai as a comparison is bad faith because those aren't really cars. One of two things will happen before you have it paid off - a minority will steal it using a USB cable, or the motor will explode
>>
>>27986729
They're still motorcycles under federal law, though.
>>
>>27984942
that photo and angle makes it look like he's butthurt about something
>>
>>27984460
Honestly the solar panel charging they need to hammer home a lot more.

The thing gets free miles every time it's parked outside. They claim 40 miles a day but it'll probably be more like 25, which is fine if you don't drive that often, that'll cover a short-ish commute and grocery runs, and then you aren't even plugging the car in, it just always has some range without having to do fuckin anything
>>
Reminds me of a cheap-o three wheeler I came up with a few years back.
>>
lwb
>>
>>27983150
It will flop 100%.
Nobody but a few EV enthusiasts will bother with a three wheeler that costs as much as a normal car.
>>
>>27982296
Who cares for faggy commuter cars go to /n/ or whatever. That shit makes euro cuxkboxes look like full blown supercars.
>>
>>27991063
the thing with aptera is that they claim it will be able to go 1000 miles on one charge. also the solar meme will charge your car enough so you rarelyhave to plug it in

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.