[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm too stupid for it
>>
I learnt to operate a gearbox on small two stroke bikes, cars are pretty easy to convert to.
>>
>>27983259
Anon I'm guessing you spent 5 minutes trying without a good instructor. Eastern Euro grandmas do it everyday, you can too. Literally go back at it in an empty parking lot for less stress. Plan to spend about an hour and to get it wrong a lot, that's normal when you learn a new skill.
Put it in first, let the clutch out slowly until the vehicle sets off. Do not touch the gas. Don't worry about being too slow on it, at idle (and below) you aren't going to burn the clutch very fast so it'll be fine. You'll stall, NBD just start over. Once you're moving and the clutch is all the way out, give it a little gas until you're doing ~10 mph, then shift to 2nd. You'll find this way easier than setting off. Do this routine until you can reliably set off (~5x in a row without stalling.) then add the gas in as you set off, and try to be a hair quicker on the release. Do that until it isn't scary, then leave the parking lot and drive on not very busy, not very hilly roads. After that, just drive on increasingly busy/hilly roads until you're driving it everywhere. In about 2 years you'll be annoyed that slushboxes shift themselves and that none of the cars you want are available/ affordable with a stick.
Good luck anon!
>>
>>27983259
pick a youtube video about it and watch it first
>>
>>27983333
>Get used to starting without throttle then add throttle and speed once you're used to it.
Actual good advice.
>>
>>27983259
Don't be afraid to stall on the road, the worst thing you can do is get angry at the car or at yourself. Keep calm, let the NPCs honk their horns, you won't lose 'aura', nobody actually gives a shit.
>>
>>27983259
Practice, broski. That's all it takes.
>>
>>27984054
Depends on car.
Some cars I've drove can do that, some lack the torque/flywheel mass to pull it off
>>
Just slip it up to 3 seconds. Moderate gas.
>>
>>27984167
I've driven a lot of cars. Owned one with less than 100 lb-ft torque. I used to restore 40s tractors, drove on my uni FSAE team with a paddle clutch, etc. I've never met a clutch that actually needed throttle.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/@ConquerDriving/videos

This sharkmouth has several videos on driving a manual for beginners. They may help because I'm willing to bet that, if you're American like me, the only instructions you ever had were "lift off the clutch as you put on gas in equal amounts"
>>
>>27984167
My Geo Metro can do it
>>
lol gay manuelet drivers losing to valley wives in their Teslas
>>
>>27983259
if a billion thirdies with literal sub-80 iqs can do it, you probably can, too
>>
>>27984310
what if he's a firstie with sub-80 iq
>>
>>27983259
How do I stop at a light without stalling?
>>
>>27984395
hold down the clutch?
>>
>>27984395
I usually downshift to third and keep it there until 1k rpm or so before clutching in.
I'll go to second around 1500-2000 rpm if I'm expecting things to move before coming to a full stop
>>
>>27984403
put it neutral and unclutch if you're gonna be waiting at a light for more than ~5 seconds to increase the lifespan of your throwout bearing/hydraulics
>>
>>27984330
After age 30 it's impossible to learn anything new.
>>
>>27983259
>I'm too stupid for it
I taught at least 8-10 women and a couple dudes to drive my car when I leased a 2014 CTS-V. Couldn't risk a dui for my job and it was always easy to convince someone to drive me home when I chirped the lights from the bar.
Then we get in and they all refused but I told them how easy it was. No real issues.. That particular vehicle I was able to just have them start in 2nd gear and only rarely have to shift into 3rd if going above 40-45.
One time I woke up fully clothed staring into the light, and tried to recollect the night before. I had my phone, key fob (Push button start), wallet, and chew so I was good. Went out to my car only to realize it was gone. It was at that point I remembered I let a girl drive it to her house and I panicked because if she killed it there was no turning it back on. I had pretty much accepted my fate that I was at the very least going to have to go pick it up from an impound lot.
Impressively, she made it all the way across the city to her place without killing it a single time despite having learned about 15 min before she embarked on her journey.
>>
>>27984395
>How do I stop at a light without stalling?
worst case you can do like I did in my 85 shitbox iroc camaro I bought for $500 in high school. The clutch just hung there dangling (didn't even think about working properly). I would have to turn the car off at stop lights, put it in 1st, then hit the gas and turn it on when the light turned green. From there I just powershifted through the gears. Not sure how long I could have gone on doing that but I ramped it over some railroad tracks and sent her into a pole which put it out of its misery
>>
>>27984409
>put it neutral and unclutch
wait do people just sit there with the clutch in the whole time?
>>
>>27984735
>wait do people just sit there with the clutch in the whole time?
Yes. Eventually you'll be able to identify them by the "In Sink Garbage Disposal full of ball bearings" sound their throwout bearing makes.
>>
>>27984395
Go to a lower gear and eventually to neutral when ur slow enough
>>
>>27984090
>let the NPCs honk their horns, you won't lose 'aura'
If there's anything good compared to living in a big city, it's that you can embarrass yourself completely for 10 minutes straight on a public road and literally no one at that intersection would ever recognize you again.
Applies to more than just driving.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.