[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: proxy-image.jpg (36 KB, 800x500)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
22 male, and recently an uncle of mine recommened me to try reprograming car keys as a side gig. Is it true? And where or how can I learn more about this?
>>
sounds half baked and destined for failure.
do you have experience reprogramming car keys?
why would someone hire you over an actual locksmith?
>>
>>27986061
I don't have experiemce in reprogramming car keys, and as far as my uncle told me, its something I can do on my own. I'm not sure how true the last part is, but thats why I had to ask.
>>
>>27986130
look anon, it's a shitty idea. boomers always have the shittiest advice.
find something that you know how to do and are good at that people are willing to pay for. if you are interested in locksmithing (it doesn't sound like you are) get a job interning for a locksmith.
wasting thousands on equipment with an unproven business model, no customers, no training is going to end in disaster
>>
>>27986134
Yeah, Its something I wasn't sure in believing, especially when it come to my knowlage or experiance in this kind of gig. Its bad enough that my uncle convinced my dad to make me get into it. I'm even sure if theres a market for this kind of service, theres most tracks and older cars in my area, only a few modern cars, some teslas and one cybertruck that I've seen.
>>
>>27986159
yeah, run away from this. there is a side gig for you out there, but this isn't it. find something you can do or learn quickly, that you like doing, and that you can start doing for like $200 or less
>>
>>27986016
Get into reflashing ECUs to do useful things like delete rear O2 sensors and anti-theft (anti-mechanic) settings so people can do more drivetrain swaps. Most LS are covered but all the Ford flashing software is proprietary and expensive.

The OBDX dongle is making its sellers gobs of money and if you make one for older F150s/any F150 there is bank to be made. Look up LS bench harnesses on Youtube for useful info.
>>
>>27986016
Yeah sure, there's a decent sized market for this. New cars get sold with multiple keys but used cars often get sold with one. It's always nice to have a spare.
Look for popular car models in your area built before 2015 and how to program spare keys for them on YouTube. Some cars do not require specialized equipment to program keys and you can order replacement keys from China. Some Chinese even do the cutting if you send a photo, saving you from having to find a locksmith in your area.
Follow your Uncle's advice, you may find something else that clicks with you as you dig deeper into this topic.
Good luck Anon
>>
>>27986016
sounds like your uncle got pissed off recently by how much it cost him to replace a lost key and thought "my nephew goes on the computer a lot, I bet he could make a killing doing this and then I won't have to ever pay for it again"
>>
>>27986016
Look into it see how the market is in your area, call and ask for prices. Better yet work for a reprogramer that does it for 1 to 3 months,(You'll get paid to learn). Guarantee your work, always be on time, give your clients a white glove service, keep your area clean and the clients vehicle, make/wear a uniform. I'd recommend looking into Mid to High end vehicles, since these type owners tend to have more money (or pretend they do).

Good luck Br/o/
>>
>>27986215
I was going to add that these type of people are paying you for convenience, people with money don't like to be inconvenienced, If you miss a call, call back ASAP. Offer discounts on Cash deals. Have a clean cut look, and speak English like you have some sense.
>>
>>27986173
Yeah, I'll be checking for other options incase this is a no go.
>>27986178
>>27986187
Thanks for the advice and useful info, gonna look this stuff up when I get back home.
>>27986192
Lol I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. But if theres money to be made for this kind of work, then I'll make sure to pay him back.
>>27986215
Yeah, if I need to, then I'll look into applying to work for a reprogramer. Just got to hope that they'll let me study under their wing. And I'll keep in mind the whole mid to high end people. Thanks bro
>>27986221
Thanks again, I'm like this anyway when it comes to customer service, but its a good reminder of how one should do their job.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.