[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_7007.jpg (157 KB, 1187x487)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
What is the practicality of driving a classic truck every day. Does it make sense or should you just drive a new truck instead?
>>
>>28054802
What's a new truck payment or the difference in insurance cost?
$500 a month?
$700 a month?
If I put $500 a month into an old truck, I'd have a restored truck in 2 years.
>>
>>28054802
If you know how to tune a carb, then very practical.
>>
>>28054802
Money wise a newish truck ~18-20k is the better option. I've driven a 30+ yo truck now for almost two decades and it's a lot of little shit that adds up. Eventually it's not even about the money and you just don't want to spend time working on it instead of being with family.

Money wise I'm averaging a few hundred a month but expect people who don't wrench to tell you they've got a Tacoma that theyve never touched and ran for $5 over three decades.

>>28054820
>$10k to restore a truck
Absolutely delusional. I just spend $4000 to redo the front suspension on my first gen Cummins and I'm about to spend another two on the back. To say nothing the time.
>>
>>28054802
I have an 86 Bronco as my daily driver. Has been for the past 4 years. Has been super reliable.
Maintenance is very cheap. Collector insurance is very cheap. Only downside is the lower fuel economy but if you take a truck payment out of the equation it's still much cheaper. I'll drive a classic over a new one any day.
>>
25 year old + is considered a classic now. A GMT400 isn't impractical.
>>
>>28054802
no it's like any other collector item. it will require serious maintenance. if you can't wrench you'll be spending a lot of time on the side of the road waiting for a real man to show up to help you. they are still a good item to have as they hold value and taking a girl on a date in one is guaranteed sex
>>
>>28054802
If you want to wrench on your vehicle and have the time and knowhow, very doable. If you're a zoomer that doesn't know how to change a tire? Just have daddy buy you a Civic.
>>
>>28054833
>I just spend $4000 to redo the front suspension on my first gen Cummins and I'm about to spend another two on the back.
What did you spend it on?
>>
>>28055036
Archive garage hanger support, front rear leaf hangers, extended length leafs, shock towers, fox shocks, some Dana 60 rebuilt stuff, spindle drop.

I still need to have the driveshaft cut and rewelded.
>>
>>28055096
I wouldn't call that rebuilding the front suspension, I redid the front suspension on my second gen 12v and it only cost around 600 with new brakes and pads and bushings and tie rods, all the shit
>>
>>28055168
>>28055096
yeah that's straight up upgrading components, not replacing wear items
>>
>>28054802
horrible gas mileage and parts drying up would be your main concerns I suppose
in my case, I'm hunting for a good pre-1976 truck so I never have to worry about smog bullshit. apparently you can even swap in a newer motor and since there's no smog for pre-1976 vehicles nobody will ever know.
>>
>>28054802
I drive a 10 - 11 year old truck since it was in my price range and still in decent condition. New trucks just isn't worth it with how expensive even the cheaper ones are. Funny how most stuff in my truck is has more or less the same shit in it's new generation.
>>
>>28054802
It's kino.
Just make sure you have time/most ney to work on it initially as it will undoubtedly be fucked when you buy it.
>>28054824
Haven't touched mine since 2017. It just works.
>t. '78 k2500
Inb4 MPG, it's the same as the new ones.
>>
It really depends on the truck, how your wrenching skills are, and how much money you have.
>>
>>28055555
I mean it's basic knowledge, but also

Fuckin' whitnessed
>>
>>28054802
depends on what you would consider classic and what you intend to use it for.
if it's somenthing like picrel then the parts will be cheaper and manteniance will be far easier if you wrench in it yourself.
>>
>>28054802
old domestic half tonnes have very soft suspension, there's a reason jdm mini trucks clowned them. 3/4 tonnes and 1 tonnes made before EFI are very stout and very cheap

do you need a truck? trucks aren't practical in general, making something a classic that sits for long periods of time makes it even less practical

>>28054833
ive been home to many 90s fords that keep me in the shop every night and weekend, a carburetor wont be as bad but we are having new problems every day it seems, the boards computers of this era are printed on are falling apart, i would start with a carbureted truck before looking at tbi/eec-iv, you can always get a carburetor to work. The time you invest in learning how the shit works isnt worth it.

If you just need a truck and dont mind doing some work up front, an 05-10 F150 with a blown up 3v is a phenomenal budget buy. Put a reman engine in it and take care of it. Ive seen nice king ranches with bad engines on marketplace for $1500. 98-03 Expeditions are even cheaper if you dont need the bed.
>>
File: chevyjpg.jpg (176 KB, 960x720)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>28054802
>>28055555
this is a sign OP,you VILL buy ze classic truck
>>
>>28055519
>Inb4 MPG, it's the same as the new ones.
Yep. Pretty pathetic showing for faggy nu-truggs
>>
>>28055555
>>28055511
checked
>>
>>28055590
Yeah I guess it just takes 14mpg to move a 2.5 ton brick around.
It's the I6 gas one. Have it bored out for chode cylinders and boomerbrocked.
Maybe 200hp at the wheels, its anemic.
But it's been stupid dependable over the years and doesn't drink much fuel, and also I'm lazy, so I'm keeping it in.
>>
Time or Money pick one.
Can do what ever you want anon just be ready for the trade off.
>>
>>28058011
I've been driving my Tacoma since my uncle gifted it to me in 05 when I learned to drive. I think the vick counts as a classic here, but I've been rocking my first gen tacoma with only the most minor of issues.

Not counting general wear and tear, I've probably only put 6~7K into the truck?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.