[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File deleted.
Homestead General /hsg/
> Woods Cabin Edition
> Thread #05

Talk gardening, farming, livestock, beekeeping, building, electricity and plumbing, earthworks, waterworks, permaculture, raising children, market gardening, selling produce, barter, home economics, composting, mulching, pest control, diet, health.
Anything relevant to living on site, making a home out of the land.

Old Thread: >>2640881
>>
>>2676468
Shoot this is actually Thread #06
>>
File: file.png (4.22 MB, 1600x1067)
4.22 MB
4.22 MB PNG
I want to grow an orange tree.
I've got three seeds from a couple of oranges I just had for breakfast and I've been looking into how to prepare them in the most effective way possible, but I've run into conflicting info on different sites I visited
>Should I test their viability in water? Some sites mention it, some don't. I put all three in a glass of water and so far they all float
>Should I put them on the fridge for a couple weeks before planting? Some sites say it's necessary for them to undergo a cold season, some say to just plant them. The general rule of thumb from what I've read so far is that all trees from temperate and cold climates should go through at least a couple weeks of cold to prepare them for germination
As a side note, I live in the southern hermisphere and so it's late spring over here. Currently it's some 20ºC outside
>>
>>2676551
>getting this triggered by an AI generated image
Kys
>>
>>2676849
>still triggered by the same image
>>
a bobcat got to one of my chickens. should I kill the fucker? He was out there tonight trying to break into the coop.
>>
>>2676849
the only sperg itt is you, pick your spaghetti up faggot
>>
File: DSC_0007.jpg (3.66 MB, 4000x3000)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
23 years ago my father gifted me a small potted cactus. He told me to put it somewhere near the crt monitor so it would "absorb radiation". A couple of months later I had to change the monitor and I completely forgot about the cactus. Apparently mom accidentally placed it in an inaccessible portion of another apartment. Some dudes had to perform maintenance on the building exterior and carried it to a common zone. What the fuck do I do about this? It's monstrous but I don't want to throw it straight into the trash and hurt someone. Is there a way to trim this down to a manageable size? If not, what's the best way to dispose of it?
>>
>>2676573
>nu-out uses AI because they don't have any actual photos to post
Son, I don't think this is the argument you want to make.
>>
>>2677175
Why don't you gift it?
>>
>>2676990
It'll only be a temporary solution unless you think your can wipe out the species locally
>>
I got a job on an urban farm startup in indianapolis. got lucky ended up second in command making 20 an hour. So excited about all of the stuff I can learn. I learn new stuff every week already. Also traded 13 ducks and 100 dollars for a great pyrenees puppy. Shes been getting along well with the chickens and ducks so far.
>>
>>2677648
That’s wonderful! I’m glad things are working out! What are your long term plans for them?
>>
anons, if you had $150k to put towards a homestead, how would you go about it? buy a turnkey operation ready to go? try to build something yourself from the ground up? put a trailer/prefab home up?
I think I want to be somewhere on the east side of the cascade mountains in WA but I don't really know whwere to start.
>>
Tesla coil music inspires mobius warp space
>>
>>2677699
A big goal is to make the farm an attraction for the public and to partner with restaurants to sell the majority of our produce. At the moment we just have about 50 chickens but we're planning to get goats and mini cows. Probably wont be able to sell dairy products until 2025 though.
>>
>>2677038
Learn something.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3526810/
What is this thread, boomer humor circa 2015?
>>
>>2677794
Godspeed
>>
>>2677012
Amusing
>>
>>2676990
put treble hooks into a piece of raw meat and secure the hook to the outside of the coop with picture hanging wire at the area the cat tried to get in. Consider other animals while you do this; its called wulfsangels and is a traditional way to get canines as they eat things whole. If cats do the same this will work, just go out in the morning and bonk the mangled trapped kitty cat with a shovel or something.
>>
>>2679269
>kill a bobcat because you didn’t defend your chickens properly
>>
>>2679269
>it's called torturing a wild animal that was just trying to eat instead of dispatching it quickly as a responsbile person would
>>
>>2679288
yes, eliminate predator species on your homestead. We also shoot the barn cats that try to eat our birds.
>>2679303
Enjoy your dead chickens. Not a problem for us.
Rentoids detected
>>
>>2679368
>I can't kill something efficiently
We know
>>
>>2679372
Here's your (You) pal
>>
>>2677704
Put the money in the bank and save more money. 15k is nothing
>>
>>2677704
Anon, good advice here >>2679431
>>
>>2676860
Holy shit you're shaking right now
>>
File: pagliacci.png (654 KB, 753x707)
654 KB
654 KB PNG
>>2679431

you read it wrong moron, he said 150k
>>
>>2680129
15k is nothing
>>
>>2680222
Yes
>>
>>2677175
cut out bulbs and plant them somewhere outside if you don't want to take care of it?
>>
>>2676569
clean all the pulp off them so they dont rot
sprout them in soilless medium between 20c to 25c
transplant them once you see the rootlet
oranges need sharply drained soil, they get root rot easily
they also need acidic conditions to do their best
>>
>>2676551
>>2676849
ask me how I know you're a fat female
>>
>>2680336
NTA but thank you
>>
>>2680240
>t. never heard of cabinsteading
>>
>>2680766
Real?
>>
File: 1000007471.jpg (114 KB, 564x752)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
getting the opportunity to take over and move into an old family home that's not been lived in since the 80s. my plan is to fix it up, grow some vegetables, have some chickens and maybe other animals. i dont know much about owning and keeping a house, i dont know much about farming either, but im very eager to learn. what are some good resources for getting into.. well everything and anything related to owning a homestead?
>>
>>2681481
Based

Five Acres and Independence Is great starting point

Consider getting into apiary too
>>
>>2682036
Thank you!! I'll check that out and yea beeing a beekeeper would be rly cool
>>
File: IMG_5216.jpg (1.67 MB, 5472x3648)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>2676468
I'm the anon from last thread who turned two horse stalls into a chicken coop, i recently took the gates down and boarded it up with pine I cut myself then added a window. Gonna try to mirror the window on the other side too
>>
File: IMG_5224.jpg (2.11 MB, 5472x3648)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB JPG
done now gotta stain it, may add a baseboard too
>>
>>2683053
>>2683004
Gorgeous
>>
File: IMG_20231107_042533.jpg (1.45 MB, 2448x3264)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>2676990
just shoot it, it learned where to get food, he will strike again. i have a zero tolerance with anything getting me chickens. im about to blast these fuckers off my porch for eating my cats food
>>
>>2683659
>puts cat food on porch
>reee where are all these scavengers coming from
>>
File: 1682834997179.jpg (10 KB, 299x169)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>
>>2677016
Uh...huh. Cool story, Boomer.
>>
>>2683659
Opposums should be kept on your land to eat ticks
>>
>>2683004
>>2683053
looks great anon
>>
>>2683166
>>2684124
thanks guys im staining it a dark walnut colour now i will post when im done
>>
>>2676468
Hello /out/ I am currently workind and have about 10k of USD. I have been talking to various realtors about land, ranging from .25 acres to 10 acres.
Would it be stupid to buy land now, or should i wait until i have more money say around 35k.
I am also wondering if i should buy the land and sit on it until i have the money for a truck , tools and the building materials.
Thanks!
>>
>>2684210
>10k
>talking to realtors
>should I start paying property tax without the means to do anything on the land
If camping on your property wasn't illegal in most places, I'd say - Why not? Getting a sense of locale before you concoct a master plan for what you want to build makes a lot of sense, though it'll put you at odds with modern 'make haste now and pay for it later' culture.
>>
>>2684210
buy raw undeveloped land in unincorporated part of the county. i bought 6 acres of wooded land for $6k in 2020 but today that will be around $15k. make sure any land you buy is near power unless you have an extra $10k every ten years for the solar meme. also you will need $5k-$10k if tools to develop your land and also around $20k for a well. water catchment is a meme, i know i have 5 different larpsteaders that beg water off me weekly. they tell me bullshit like
>the un says water is a human right
and i tell them get the fuck out of here begger. if you have a lifetime of skills in gardening, construction, electrical, animal husbandry then you might make jt, if you dont just stay the fuck in the shitty. the ozarks are flooded with delusional larpsteaders
>>
>>2684270
What state anon?
>>
Is anyone doing any hydroponics setups?

A few years back I planted my yard heavily. I have 5 peach trees, 6 apples, 4 sweet cherries, 4 pears, 4 plums, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and grapes.

I had a lot of strawberries last year but the deer absolutely demolished them. And when they came, they also damaged other trees and plants. I'm not sure if my blueberries will survive. I didn't get any raspberries this year. My family has a tobacco field next to my house and I even saw the deer chewing on tobacco leaves. It was crazy. Every night in the mid and late summer I had to chase deer off.

My yard isn't feasible to fence in, but out of general interest and also trying to make the planting area more compact so I can protect it, I'd like to explore hydroponics. It seems strawberries in a gutter built or pvc NFT system are quite practical. It seems in my mind that doing peppers and tomatoes in a Dutch bucket system would be very cool but I'm not sure about the return on investment there as they're pretty easy to grow anyway.

Please tell me about your hydroponics setup, how you sized it, and how it worked out.
>>
didnt know what I was doing, most of my acreage has a “flowage easement” which I guess is flood plain so I can’t build anything I guess.
thought it would be cool to have a creek run through the land for free water.
>>
Is it better to clearcut or thin a pine stand for land I want to homestead on? Was going to do an orchard, garden, pigs, chicken, the whole thing. It's around 10 acres. All pine, chip-n-saw quality timber. Was going to go clearcut for the larger timber value, but I want the best for the soil. Was planning on covercropping it heavily the first year with clover and winter pea.
>>
>>2685326
Depends on where at, soil, and use case
>>
You guys ferment stuff?
>>
>>2685556
>use case
already listed that
you could've not replied and been more helpful
>>
Anyone have cows and also a toddler? Do you give your toddler raw cow milk? How's that been working out for them? Any health issues? Is there anything you need to do to the milk that's different from the milk the rest of the family drinks? About how much do you give them? Are there any PNW brands of milk you'd recommend for your kid that isn't goyslop? Me and the missus are discussing what to do with our kid once he's off breastfeeding
>>
>>2685207
Woof. Sell?
>>
>>2685600
Farts
>>
File: file.png (1.45 MB, 1280x800)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
Just saw a video on rolling back down sheeps so they dont die and went to a rabbit hole about sheep care. Man, whoever takes care of sheeps must hate money and peace, those fuckers are so weak and die because anything happens
>>
>>2685600
this general sucks and its heavily raided all the time, if you want to know about brewing /diy/ has a pretty decent brewing general, take a look there
>>
>>2687633
Quantity, etc. Unit economics do suck compared to other animals, which is probably why they're not big in America.
>>
>>2687633
Sheep = gay
>>
>>2677175
Repot in a bigger pot, it looks nice.
>>2684146
I would stain it brigth yellow to attract more bugs for the chicken to feed on.
>>
File: images (6).jpg (56 KB, 480x640)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
get this /pol/ shit away I just want to start a comms system in my home
where do begin anons?
>>
>>2683659
Anon, possums are just trashy cats. Just set out more food.
Unless of course they try to hurt your cat. Then lock & load baby.
>>
>>2690873
Unironically, get a Cobra 29 ltd.
>>
File: barbiecomms.jpg (163 KB, 720x1137)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>2690889
very good recommendation, will get the manliest colour as per usual.
still, that's a big investment and I'm poor, so will have to wait to get it.
>>
>>2683004
why did you cut yourself after boarding it up with pine?
>>
Today I start the long journey towards a home stead from starting with nothing. It is my destiny.
>>
>>2691000
GLHF anon
>>
>>2690915
Sometimes you can find them at truck stops (esp. loves) on sale for 85-90 USD.
>>
>>2691000
Godspeed fren.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXlSicZE9jI

no! stop farming without killing insects! you must kill insects in order to grow food! and stop composting without tilling the soil! you have to kill all the insects, vermin, and fungi in the soil and disturb it thoroughly before you can plant in it! and make sure you do NOT compost food scraps and let them pre-rot indoors, in containers, and then transfer themoutside to wooden boxes, which sit over the growing beds where you will plant your seeds next year! you MUST compost using bins and bins ONLY and you MUST HURT INSECTS by tilling the soil and turning the compost and using pesticides!
>>
>>2691388
stop cultivating native edible plants! you must only plant foods that are highly competed for in the market, so that when your crop gets cross-pollinated with the jee em ohh patented crop, we can send our l*wy*rs out to sue you!

and stop planting in a diverse and spread out manner! you must plant large patches of single types of crops! you wouldnt want to make it easy for the insects to eat a varied diet, would you? stop copying the logic of how nature organizes things, with a lot of randomness and variety! you must do things in neat little rows and kill everything except the patented product!
>>
>>2676990
if u dont learn to work with nature, ur sol

the bobcat is not ur enemy. he is there because u have way more than u need. uv caused an imbalance in nature and he is the correction.

go out there and offer him a morsel of food. he might become ur friend and predate the rodents who r eating from ur compost pile
>>
>>2677175
repot it in succulent/cactus soil in a bigger pot. if any clumps fall off independently see if you can transplant them independently or put them outside. it looks pretty healthy for being negelected
>>
>>2691119
>>2691352
thank you frens
>>
>>2687637
>this general sucks
it does. nobody here actually does anything.
>>
>>2687637
I wish it didn't. I remember earlier threads being better. This is what I want to do with my life why can't we have a good general about it? ;_;
>>
Can you lads recommend me a good CCTV/security camera system for a ranch? For actual security use but also just for the convenience of being able to check on the sheep/cows/chicken pens without needing to get my ass out to the barn just to make sure none of my retarded chickens managed to kill themselves. Is there any that can function off a wifi network but not necessarily an internet connection? (I already have wifi extenders already around the ranch), I'm rural enough that the internet going out because a falling rock knocked over a telephone line is an actual concern, but in theory I don't see why a camera system can't just connect to a main server on a wifi network regardless of if it has internet.

I do live somewhere that it can get to -35 in the winter, so that might be relevant since I don't know how much extreme cold can affect electronics.
>>
>>2693338
Ring?
>>
Is it possible to buy extremely remote land that is not adjacent to commercial, residential, or recreational land? I want to live like a wild man in Alaska, but finding land that isn't beside a resort or in a rural neighborhood seems unreasonable. Will I have to shell out huge bucks or talk to a realtor? What are my options and are there any tips for this? Any websites specifically for this purpose?
>>
>>2684270
How would one go about making a well
>>
>>2684270
Wild
>>
>>2694434
I also would like to know. But also being next to some of these things might not be so bad if they aren't noisy or extremely active.
>>
>>2695075
True??
>>
File: 1510532289739.jpg (71 KB, 625x464)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
Like a lot of you anons I have chickens, and I had a thought about a way to put all these eggshells to use. Anyone here tried saving their eggshells and using them to make lime? You can make lime out of snail shells, or really anything with calcium iirc, so in theory couldn't you make a kiln and bake the shit out of a bunch of garbage eggshells? Sure it'd probably be a bit pointless if you live somewhere with limestone if you make a kiln that can get to such high temperatures anyway, but if you don't have access to limestone and you have a fuckton of eggshells anyways why not put them to work?
>just go buy some lime from the store retard
shut up, strawman. The whole point is to make use of a garbage byproduct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek3aeUhHaFY
>>
>>2676468
Anyone know any good resources to start growing American Chest nut trees? I live in South AL and I was catching up to devons videos and his stream was about these trees. I want to make a positive effort in trying to bring them back.
>>
>>2696623
You could contact the American Chestnut foundation, they might send you some stuff to plant and other resources to help you get started.
>>
>>2696124
Think about it. Each one in each place is a little different. What do you care if you hardly notice they are there the majority of the time?
>>
>>2696754
Will try.
>>
>>2696601
Unsurprisingly it turns out I'm a retard, you can just make lime out of wood ash. I guess it's still a potential use for eggshells if you just chuck them in the fire with wood too.
>>
>>2696754
Intriguing
>>
How expensive is it to build a traditional home these days on your homestead?
>>
>>2697986
Very
>>
>>2696601
I personally store a bunch up and then dry them out innaoven at 2000f for two hours or so and then blend them up. I add a spoonful of them under seedlings when they go out into the garden for a little mineral boost. I use a magic bullet blender and have one blending pod dedicated to this purpose because they're actually quite abrasive and mar the plastic pretty badly over time which can lead to milk getting in the grooves and stinking if you don't clean them super well.
>>
>>2696601
You can crush/blend them after baking dry and add it to compost.
>>
hey just got 15 day old chickens at my doorstep.
I put them in one of those storage bins with the lid off and pine shavings at the bottom. The are using their water thing and I got the medicated chick starter. Anything else I need?
There's a heat lamp I put in there and they love the thing they ball up together where the light is shining. I wonder if I should put another one on the other side to prevent crowding.

Also anyone have advice for crossing a creek? I dig out the sides to get the truck across, then it rains and washes out. Previous owners dumped a load of concrete in there like assholes so the side erodes quickly. Was thinking about tossing a few bags of concrete there so they'd turn into blocks.
>>
>>2696601
I think it's typical to give your chickens some scrambled eggs with shells in it and then compost the rest of the shells.
>>
>>2699302
You can make an articulated mat with concrete and steel cable. Has gaps for water to pass through but small enough you can drive across them. Just google it you'll see what I mean. You can buy them pre-fab as well.
>>
Buying an acre in central indiana planning on growing
>apple trees
> plum trees
> pecan
>walnut
>hickory(for the nuts)
>red maple.

I'll also line the property line with evergreen giants. Also planning to do bees, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, elderberries and gojiberries. For animals i'm doing ducks, geese, chickens, quail and maybe sheep. Any thoughts on this plan? Anybody with experience with any of these things have any tips?
>>
>>2699859
I didn't know something like that existed. I ended up just dropping 6 bags of concrete across the gap

>>2699864
How are you going to do all of that in an acre?
>>
>>2699930
Yeah I'm not sure if all of it can be done. For the trees I was hoping to just do 2 of each of those trees. Fruits in the front yard nuts and maples in the back with the animals. Most likely I'll have to do less trees than i expect. In the area im moving though I have family that has property and i suspect they'd let me plant some trees.
>>
First of all, how is being a regular homeowner being a “homesteader”? Second, why is home ownership an /out/ topic?
>>
>>2699931
You can do a lot on an acre by managing the space in an intelligent manner. Of course, you can only ever fit so many trees in one place, but an entire football field of area, squared, can host a lot of trees too.

It's all about perspective. Obviously America is full of lawns that are bigger than an entire acre, and you think nothing of it. But elsewhere people can pull a hell of a lot of produce off a small plot of land and still keep the soil healthy in the process.
>>
>>2699961
Big lawns came from Europe, not America. Just Europoors are too poor to afford it now. But that's how they used to do it for the rich.
>>
File: IMG_20240216_084615.jpg (2.89 MB, 4160x3120)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
>>2677704
i would buy land that is unincorporated and has no building codes, permits or inspections, also the climate is very important if you are planning on raising food. as far as housing i would either stick frame a house, buy a large prebuilt shed and finish it out or buy they building in a box(you can get a insulated 24x30 one for just under $8800 delivered). you need a well period, i know alot of people trying to do water catchment and it will not be enough to garden and you will use all you favors up with your neighbors quick if you are constantly asking for water, so where you go look into well permits and costs. to be successful you will need alot of tools and know how to use the tools, youtube can be helpful but only if you have a good understanding of construction. constructing things will be your biggest expense and to do it correctly yourself will save you tons of money and is also why buying land without codes or inspections is so important. alot of places if you are not licensed you cant even get the permits and hiring it out will cost at least double. it will be at least twice as hard as you think it is going to be. ama
t.homesteader since 2020
>>
>>2687633
I'm a shepherd, ama I guess
>>
>>2699946
Not "regular" home owner if you don't live in a city and live off your land
>>
File: 1704952254201053.jpg (44 KB, 338x423)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>2700670
Why are you so creepy and weird
>>
>>2700670
im thinking of getting sheep instead of cows or goats for milk. Moving into my new house on an acre in april. How much space do i need to give them?
>>
>>2700753
2 acres per head unless you are feeding them year round
>>
>>2700791
Is feeding them year round not worth it?
>>
>>2700795
no its not hay is expensive af
>>
>>2700795
he needs to just do chickens. its the poor mans food. my granny had to start butchering chickens at 12 and would trade their neighbors with a milk cow 1 dressed chicken for 1 gallon of milk. this was during the deprey
>>
>>2685326
Keep at least some of it as a windbreak, and plant diversified guilds around what you keep. Native is better obviously but don't be afraid to use non-natives as pioneer species if justified. Also think about the concept of suntraps for garden areas if you're in a cooler climate.
>>
File: compost1.jpg (4.54 MB, 2721x3628)
4.54 MB
4.54 MB JPG
I'm getting really tired of having to type things a thousand times because I keep "failing" the captcha.

Does this composted cow manure look fine? I've never used it before and it's a new company.
The guy said it's been composting since September but everything dies within 30 days because they get it super hot with some technique.
It still kind of smelled like crap for several days after I got it and when I started putting it in the wheel barrow. Some bits are greenish.
>>
File: compost2.jpg (4.96 MB, 2721x3628)
4.96 MB
4.96 MB JPG
>>2701172
>>
File: compost3.jpg (4.61 MB, 2448x3265)
4.61 MB
4.61 MB JPG
>>2701173
last one
>>
>>2701172
>>2701173
>>2701174

Not composted enough?
>>
>>2701172
>I'm getting really tired of having to type things a thousand times because I keep "failing" the captcha.
if you just hit the back button instead of return what you typed will still be there when you hit reply to thread
>>
>>2700293
thx bro. As of now I don't know a ton about construction stuff but I'm a very quick study so I think I could get the basics down quickly (framing, insulation, etc.). would probably need help with electrical and plumbing though. unincorporated sounds like a good idea as I wouldn't want daddy gov breathing down my neck.
>>
>>2700753
Depends on how you manage them, but 5-10 pero acre. Note that to produce milk they need greens (pasturas). You cannot feed them grains and expect milk out of it

Also, you'll need to milk them daily, so I've start with just one or two and go up from there depending how you feel about it
>>
>>2701423
house electrical is not that hard. the black wire goes on the gold screw, white wire goes on the silver screw and the bare wire on the green screw.
15amp=14awg (wire size)
20amp=12awg
30amp=10awg
ect
plumbing is simple just use pex for water supply and pvc for septic vent lines and remember shit flows down hill when you do the septic. youtube can help you with electrical and plumbing. framing is much harder to learn from youtube as it involves geometry and alot of stuff that make your house structurally correct.
>>
>>2701423
i know alot of people who have bought these and then finished them out to a home. they add windows and add more insulation ect. my dad just bought one and it was cheaper to buy this kit with everything precut and ready to assemble than to buy the wood from home depot and cut it and assemble it. it comes with everything but the nails to nail the walls together. kinda wish i would have went this route tbqh
https://www.buildinginabox.org/shop-kits-and-prices
>>
>>2701423
>>2701490
they even have YouTube videos showing you how to assemble
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHAtOiYIfR9XR3TZ__ge-dFeoqwjjR0id
>>
>>2701495
interesting. will investigate further!
>>
>>2701174
that looks goodgood
>>
>>2701771
does it? everything I see says you shouldn’t be able to tell what it was. just looks like a bunch of dried cow patties to me.
>>
File: IMG_20240209_215507_2.jpg (1.93 MB, 3264x2448)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>2702004
if its dried out it's fine. you have to mix it in soil, it cannot be used straight. i suggest buying this book to help you garden, its $10 on amazon and extremely helpful.
protip: the internet and especially youtube is full of alot of BS
>>
>>2702246
I mixed it 50% compost to 50% native top soil.
>>
I come from /sci/ where some call me the biochar anon. I'm here to encourage you to use biochar and offer advice relating to acquiring and using biochar in a variety of ways. Biochar is considered "uncharged" when it contains few (if any) nutrients and microbes and "charged" when it contains a lot of nutrients and microbes. Many of the uses for uncharged biochar will charge it. Charged biochar is a soil amendment that is hugely beneficial to most soil types. You can make it yourself by producing charcoal from any biomass and crushing it to the appropriate grade. Biochar made from manure will be partly charged already. If you can't make charcoal you can buy lump charcoal and crush it to the appropriate grade. You can always buy biochar in bulk, but there are some programs that will send you free samples of biochar or offer subsidized biochar if you qualify.

>Compost
Biochar added to a compost pile at roughly 5-20% by volume increases the heat of composting, reduces composting time, decreases nutrients lost from leeching and production of greenhouse gasses, and acts as a bulking agent, especially when left as large chunks. The biochar in the finished compost is charged and the compost is greatly improved as a soil amendment.

>Livestock
Adding biochar to livestock or pet feed at a rate of 1-2% by weight increases the rate of weight gain, improves digestion and nutrient absorption, decreases greenhouse gasses and ammonia in feces, and decreases fecal odor and instances of diarrhea. Using a layer of large grade biochar in stables and pens decreases fecal odor further, increases the rate of weight gain, decreases nutrient losses from leeching and denitrification, helps to dry manure, and improves the health of the animals. You can also add it to cookies and enjoy these benefits for yourself. The Victorians often ate charcoal biscuits for this reason and you can look up recipes online.

(To be continued)
>>
>Seed starting medium
Peat moss is a non-renewable resource at the rates it's harvested and perlite and vermiculite are energy intensive to produce. By replacing these in recipes for seed starting medium you can reduce the impact and energy use of your seed starting medium. This medium can be reused or thrown in your compost for added benefit. You can use it to help start seeds in fields by using equipment similar to knife style manure injectors. Uncharged biochar works well for seed starting medium because seeds carry most of their own nutrients.

>Mycoculture
I have experimented with adding large chunks of biochar to non-sterile mycelium cultures. Mushroom mycelium (and other fungi) readily colonize the biochar which can then be used to inoculate fresh medium and reused multiple times. I have had mixed results. Sterilizing the biochar in an autoclave or pressure cooker and using aggressive species of mushroom will yield the best results.

>Soil amendment
Charged biochar makes an excellent soil amendment. You can charge biochar by adding it to compost, feeding it to animals, or charging it yourself. To charge it yourself you simply need to soak the biochar in compost tea or liquid nutrients for a few days to a few weeks. Adding a mycorrhizal inoculant will help improve the biochar as a soil amendment. In soil charged biochar increases the cation exchange capacity (which means it holds more nutrients), increase root penetration, increase water infiltration, increase microbial activity, decreases nutrient runoff, improves soil structure and tilth of most soil types, and provides a stable store of carbon, which can provide a source of carbon credits if your farm qualifies for them.

It can also be used for ecosanitation, but I'm not sure how popular composting toilets are on this board.
>>
File: seattlefuckingshithole.jpg (858 KB, 2000x1333)
858 KB
858 KB JPG
>>2702246
just ordered .thx
>>
>>2676569

Buy a whip for $15 the seed is going to take 3 years before you find out if it even produces good oranges.
>>
>>2676990

Yeah duh. I would have killed him just for seeing him on my property.
>>
>>2677648

This post is so wholesome bros. Some of you might fucking make it.
>>
>>2677648
>>2677794

Can you share more info?
>>
>>2676468
Alive thread?
>>
File: apuraiser.jpg (46 KB, 615x347)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>2703396
i'm still here my goy!
>>
I'm glad they deleted all the meme spam from this thread
>>
How do I get extremeky remote Alaska land? Everything I find is adjacent to resorts, hunting lots, or other cabins. Is it not reasonable to live in the wilderness?
>>
>>2704004
Basado
>>
>>2676573
>>2676855
>>2677057
what happened? i assume it was the OP image? what was it?
>>
File: sheep-uwa-threat.jpg (111 KB, 790x1053)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>2700670
what's the most important thing to consider when buying sheep? also what's the most important thing you do to look after them?
>>
>>2701172
bro use the back button, not return, and also just ctrl+c things before you post if you give a shit, i always do that, ctrl+a , ctrl+c.
>>
>>2702316
>the graffiti says HRT
despite that it's surprisingly clean for a squat of homeless trannies.
>>
File: 1507155643877.jpg (44 KB, 750x521)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Im new to growing and want to get started this spring. I'm on the mid/northern east coast. Im trying not to spend a lot but a bed for root vegetables is gonna run me at least 50 bucks in lumber alone not to mention soil.

I am also growing cannabis in 5 gallon buckets like a degen but i have a good grasp on that

Any advice for a novice who wants to become more self sufficient?
>>
>>2705728
>a bed for root vegetables is gonna run me at least 50 bucks in lumber
HOW.
use old pallets, it doesn't have to be high quality or pretty, don't you have just ... the ground?
>I am also growing cannabis in 5 gallon buckets like a degen but i have a good grasp on that
oh this might explain why you are a bit retarded, cut back, then get back to us.
>>
>>2705728
Raised beds are helpful but not really necessary. Just double dig the plot you want to grow in and mix compost and biochar in as you go.
>>
>>2696601
Just toss the eggshells outside to your chickens. They love raw eggshells and raw eggs
>>
>>2705405
If your sheep can lug a battle rifle

>>2705405
Original image was a dumb meme
>>
>>2676569
I don't know if this knowledge transfers to oranges, but I put whole apples in soil in pots and they sprouted. I reasoned the fruit flesh and the soil and water and sunlight feeds the seed. Which ties in nicely with the anon who said they need acidic circumstances.
>>
do you guys attempt to breed perennial plants that hardly go to seed or are hard to get viable seed from? I think it probably isn't good to rely solely on copies of copies of copies of clones.
>>
>>2707060
Some people do. More often you look for mutations in your clones and start cloning the mutants too.
>>
>>2707060
I have not done so myself but I know of people who do. For example Jerusalem artichokes usually flower profusely but never produce viable seeds because they're usually planted clonally and are genetically the same. If you plant two distinct varieties you can start getting seed and experimenting. Same concept with potatoes.
>>
>>2706187
True?
>>
>>2707327
Not that anon but thanks
>>
Property is an illusion. All is paramilitary. Ask what the limits of the enemies paramilitary is.
>>
VGH

All is plentiful and free
>>
Lets redesign the world.

We’ve heard of enough empty abandoned towns and property prices merely being a tool of the enemy to kill communities.

Exclusive markets kill parasites.
Truest community has truest exchange instead of costs.

The shit you seen “online” for prices is bogus. A house in one place “costs millions” but down the street is vast areas of abandoned buildings.

I’ve seen enough examples of people “owning” vast tracts of land via the bogus authority of their goons and the idea that their money has worth. It’s disgusting to see land wasted while soulful souls suffer.

Victory to slavs and PhilistinaZZ and the goodness of the nations of HELL.
>>
Cheers to the devils.

Beautiful is the vast hordes of homesteaders. The rising true society.

Here’s a good story: Someone starts homesteading for free in a random empty place. One day a person arrives that tries to attack the homesteader on the premise of ownership and authority. The homesteader shoots the random goon troglodyte invader thing and the world moves on.
-this is a story that has happened abundantly.

Cheers to chaotic goodness and good anarchy. Death to the false. Death to the facades. Power to the awareness and organization of the true vibes.

I love seeing the most immense stifling happening to the invaders.

Cheers to loitering gangs and the wild. I love when people hunt down most subtle bad vibes. I love the hyper critical and intolerant. I love people like true channers.

The wild is increasingly growing and spreading corrosively.

Truest whites breeding like crazy and fortifying in infinite ways that are often so utmost abstract and curative.

I saw that we have cut off roads and isolated the bad areas. The organic growth has bloodlust. Ears twitch to whatever messes with THE vibes.

Vast anarcho militaries arise.
>>
The world is an astonishingly empty chaotic place.

Lets cut off all cancer. Permanently.
>>
I'm taking over a house with a medium sized garden. What are some of the first things I should do to ensure everything is good and well? I don't want to start something and then realize the earth is fucked somehow. I was considering removing all grass, put some new dirt, and then grass seeds. Is that a retarded plan?
>>
Is there anything useful about these gay mini pigs? Got them for my gf as pets, so no eating. They eat all the garden/kitchen scraps that would normally go to my chickens. And their manure production is rather poor. I guess they could be used to dig up some pasture in preparation for vegetable beds, but i don't need more growing space atm.
>>
>>2709813
Do a soil bioassay

>>2706808
>>2706809
>>
>>2709837
It provides happiness

>>2709526
Interesting
>>
>>2705405
I do genetic improvements of a specific race, so I look at the data when buying.

You should check how much wool it has, how thin the "hairs" are, and how big/heavy the animal is.

Dunno about milk sheep though
>>
>>2710096
Do you have a background in genetics?
>>
What system or tools do you guys use to plan your projects and whole homestead? A lot of forethought must go into it if you want to be successful.
>>
>>2709837
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_pig
you know what to do.
>>
1. Anyone here tried growing mushroom buckets before? It takes up a small area and the amount of food produced (allegedy) makes it enticing

2. Would they grow in hot weather or would they just die out? Gets to 40C here in Summer, pretty hot even in full shade.
My idea is to put some towers under some shade cloth and plastic sheets (to retain moisture)

3. Could I start propagating mushrooms from those grow box kits? No one ships mycelium here except as those.
Thought I could let it grow to the first flush, then break it apart into buckets.
>>
>>2712055
>Anyone here tried growing mushroom buckets before?
I haven't tried using buckets like that, but I have grown some mushrooms. Read "Growing Mushrooms the Easy Way" by R Rush Wayne

>Would they grow in hot weather or would they just die out? Gets to 40C here in Summer, pretty hot even in full shade.
Depends on the species. If you're growing outside then you will need to be aware of the season the mushrooms fruit in. If you're growing indoors then you just need to simulate the fruiting conditions.

>Could I start propagating mushrooms from those grow box kits?
Sure. You can also use mushrooms from the store, either by harvesting the spores, or by cloning the stem. Try reading "Mycelium Running" and "Radical Mycology" for tips on both. There are several other books you can read that go in depth into specific mushroom species and how best to care for them.

Also, if you're sterilizing your medium then you can use uncharged biochar in place of peat or vermiculite. If you can't find or make biochar buy some lump charcoal and crush it to the right grade.
>>
Are elderberries worth it? Costco is selling bare root elderberry starters and im considering adding some to my berry orchard
>>
>>2710096
Based
>>
Does anyone here homestead in the desert? Is it possible to live of rain water alone?
>>
>>2676468
maybe more /diy/ but how do i care for my well and my sceptic tank?
is there anyway i can make them like super awesome?
>>
>>2713782
I don't live in the desert, but it's possible to live off of rainwater as long as you collect enough of it. You'll want to plan for the worst case scenario so I would recommend aiming for an average of 100 gallons per day based off the worst rainfall in at least 50 years and you'll also want to have a back up plan in case you get freak weather.
>>
>>2712260
I like them, but we've got a certain critter that likes laying eggs in them. Wasn't aware of it until I tried making some elderberry wine and saw the larvae popping out. Sure, the alcohol content does kill them, but who wants to drink maggot wine?
>>
File: pls.png (677 KB, 1252x760)
677 KB
677 KB PNG
Surely this is a scam or built like a flaming pile of shit right? I want to throw something like this on some offgrid property I have and gtfo of the city until I can figure some thing better out.
>>
>>2714151
It's just a frame and walls, very small. No decorations, furnishngs, fixtures etc A rip off for 30k. You can buy a single wide mobile with electrical wiring, plumbing, kitchen, etc for just a little more.
>>
>>2714151
It does not come with foundation, essential bits of electrical & plumbing.

Shall cost at least $20k-100k to pay somebody for those alone, depending on where you live
>>
>>2676468
Anyone got any methods they'd recommend for keeping their garden from flooding, granted you can't build some kind of shelter for it? Thinking about getting some PVC and tile and throwing some underground thing together but I want to see if anyone's got a better idea.
>>
>>2714726
Dig drainage pits. Either have your field drain into a deep holding pond, or auger out a bunch of small pits every few feet and fill them with crushed lump charcoal or wood chips.
>>
what are do you joggers think is better for homesteading? western WA or eastern-southern WA?
>>
>>2715670
WA is going communist soon
>>
>>2716579
Unfortunately that’s true
>>
Bump. I love reading these threads
>>
>>2714726
Mines a goddamn soggy brick of clay, so I make rows by digging a shovelful of soil, flipping it over to one side, then doing the same going the other direction, from the other side. Basically ending up with an elevated row with a trench on each side. Can even connect all the trenches to direct water away when it’s too high.
Make some raised beds for pickier/more important plants too
>>
File: 2261045.jpg (303 KB, 1621x1080)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
backyard plant oil? Is that possible?

I know I can render the fat from chickens, but what about plant-based oils?
>>
>>2717932
There are a lot of old pdf instructions for home-scale extraction of sunflower seed oil on the internut, probably a good bet
>>
>>2717932
you should grow an olive tree in your backyard.
>>
>>2717915
You should work some biochar into your soil to help water infiltrate and drain
>>
Do you guys think this can be done on relatively flat land as well or only on hills?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuYGS5pLRZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rabuZ857fQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM9j12VfqcQ
>>
Say I have a few acres and a lot of it is part of a mini-forest. What should I know about removing trees so I can have more space for growing food?
>>
>>2717900
Ditto
>>
>>2719065
You may want to girdle the tree before you cut it down to kill the roots. You should make charcoal out of the wood and put it in your compost pile or mix it with fertilizer. If you apply it directly to your land without letting it absorb nutrients first then it will take them from your soil and you will have a poor yield that year.
>>
>>2676569
I can send you as many as you'd like, my neighborhood is full of them, they are a nuisance
>>
If I have a very shallow creek running through my property, can I make a pond just by digging a hole right into and around the creek or is anything else needed?
Also, is there a way to make the creek deeper / increase the water flow?
>>
Turkeys or ducks for eggs?
>>
File: 5ul2iw-4121414580.png (182 KB, 1050x758)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>Take a girl into my 20+ acre wooded property because I like her
>She thinks I'm going to kill her and bury her in the woods
>>
>>2719490
Damn how did she figure it out
>>
>>2719472
Ducks. Turkeys only lay like 100 eggs per year.
>>
>>2719543
From what I read they're very messy, though. Turkeys seem pretty chill in comparison.
On the other hand, it seems ducks are really good at pest control as well.
Supposing you already have chickens for eggs, would you rather have turkeys or ducks for variety?
>>
>>2719548
There's already wild turkeys that roam over my property and my friend has ducks and is trying to breed more so definitely ducks. Besides, I'm intending on building a large pond when I have more time for my own projects so a few ducks would be aesthetic as fuck. Ducks are better for pest control because they eat more insects than turkeys or chickens, but the best bird for bugs is guinea fowl. You won't get any eggs from them though. Ducks are messy and grosser than other birds, but they aren't too bad. My friend keeps his duck in a chicken tractor with a kiddie pool (because the duck will rape his chickens to death) and he just dumps the pool and moves the tractor every couple of days. His lawn looks great with no maintenance other than mowing and I haven't noticed any smells.
>>
>>2719553
Alright. Thanks!
>My friend keeps his duck in a chicken tractor with a kiddie pool (because the duck will rape his chickens to death)
Lmao
>>
>>2719558
Good luck, anon. You should consider adding crushed lump charcoal or uncharged biochar to their feed at 2% by weight. It will improve their digestion and the quality of their manure.
>>
>>2719594
Oh it's true! I didn't know that. Thank you, anon.
>>
>>2719691
No problem
>>
>>2719691
>>2719711

im absolutely certain this is the best board on 4chan in terms of usefulness, conciseness, and general wholesomeness without the faggotry of reddit.

my haskaps/honeyberries are on year three and I think its going to be the first year I get fruit. Im excited
>>
>>2719714
May you be blessed with lots of uncircumcised dickberries, anon
>>
>>2719717
kek
>>
File: pair-of-haskap-berries.png (261 KB, 1000x500)
261 KB
261 KB PNG
>>2719717
they are pretty phallic aren't they
>>
>>2719731
I wouldn't think so if it weren't for all the cut vs uncut threads I've lurked, but yeah.
>>
Do cows/goats lactate indefinitely after the first pregnancy like women? I don't want to be constantly inseminating livestock and dealing with calves/kids.
>>
Where/how do you guys go about buying land? I have some already but I'm looking for more and I feel like going through realtor sites adds tons of middleman cost

Texanon btw
>>
>>2719809
generally for most mammals, a birth is required to produce milk and while some can produce constantly as long as you milk them the amount and quality they produce reduces over time and its hard on the animal to milk it constantly with no breaks.

its better for the animal to give it a lactation window and a weaning/dry window to simulate what would happen naturally. Its not that hard to find a stud and to sell off a kid/calf once they're of age
>>
>>2720064
Got it. Thanks.
>>
Can you blur your property in Google Maps? You can do for Street View, but can you do it from the aerial view of the map?
I mean, even if you can't see my property and all I have from the street, does it even matter when you can see it clearly from above?
In fact, the latter is much worse, because I can just put a fence or privacy screen for the former, but no way to have some privacy for the latter.
>>
fuck this thread isn't dead you?
>>
die die die
>>
When it comes to water desalination plants, I find people who go "hurr durr too energy intensive and expensive to feed a city!!" retarded, because water desalination can be much more useful and sustainable than direct use.
>Desalinate water, fill ponds, and irrigate with that water
>Vegetation grows and brings in rain
>Clean, renewable, natural water from replenished groundwater, rivers, reservoirs, etc.
Where does rain come from? Evaporated ocean water.
That rain then fills reservoirs, rivers and aquifers, which is where most people get their water from.
That is what a desalination plant can do artificially: create "rain" to prevent water scarcity, or put the water cycle in a given area on steroids.
>>
>>2720618
>>2720617

No
>>
>>2702316
>Oh it seems like a good amount of green and nice architectur-
>Looks at bottom
Oh.
>>
>>2721966
That’s pretty typical for Seattle.
>oh this place is so nice, what are all those chuds tal-ACK!
>bleeds out on 3rd Ave bc diversity just stabbed you
>>
Is there a small and affordable threshing/winnowing machine for homesteaders? Combine harvesters are fricking huge and expensive, and often hard to fix due to their complexity. Threshing and winnowing by hand is too much work.
>>
>>2680222
Is 17k good though?
>>
File: 1713402516341414m.jpg (121 KB, 1024x775)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>2683659
>>
>>2690873
>where do begin anons?
Digital police scanner and CB radio.
>>
>>2699302
How wide/deep is the creek? I have a drainage ditch on my property that I ended up just building a $200 bridge over and it can support the weight of my truck.
>>
>>2722344
Scythe + screen + winnowing basket. Once have enough practice you should be able to scythe down an acre a day and with five other competent workers you should be able to bind, thresh, and winnow that acre at the same time.
>>
>>2722441
Alright, thanks!
>>
Solar panels or wind turbines to heat a greenhouse?
>>
>>2700670
Is Rolf's tractor for sale?
>>
>>2722513
Both have drawbacks for heat. A solar setup will pretty much always use the battery since most of your heating will be at night. Wind is intermittent, but you will generate some power when you need it so your batteries might last longer. You might want to use both.

Heating it with compost or manure might be cheaper and more effective.
>>
>>2722507
No problem
>>
>>2722513
Why not just wood stoves ?
>>
Has any of you done meat rabbits? Can you recommend it?
>>
>>2722600
That would require me to constantly harvest firewood and feed the stove. If I ever forget to put wood in it or am unable to for whatever reason, all the plants will die.
>>
Have you guys tried using a biogas generator for cooking/electricity/heat?
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4_wZZBJIqy8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgd0t7Z_wHA
>>
>>2691401
Dumbest post on the board rn. Bobcats will kill cats, dogs, livestock, anything they can. He can't kill ALL the bobcats, but killing any that come near his hens will put an end to the problem for now. Feeding it will just encourage it to come near humans and it will kill people's pets and livestock
>>
>>2699302
>I wonder if I should put another one on the other side to prevent crowding.
No. Chicks naturally crowd up. You want to have a spot without the light directly above it so that they can move in/out of the light to manage their desired temperature.

Make sure you change their bedding periodically. They will get burns on their feet from urine in the bedding if you don't
>>
Bumping
>>
File: 20240423_082705.jpg (1.22 MB, 4128x1855)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
Anybody here use a european scythe? I need help figuring some things out.
>>
File: 20240423_082647.jpg (860 KB, 1908x2898)
860 KB
860 KB JPG
>>2723553
I'm just gonna throw it out here anyway. I got all this from the local hardware store and I've searched the internet for details but the two or three people who use these things out here aren't internet people.
I started with this peening jig. Anybody ever seen one like this? The guides are adjustable so you can get a first and second pass I guess, and I cannot find the right position and get it to do anything.
>>
File: 20240423_082333.jpg (1.5 MB, 4128x1908)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>2723555
I did get it to cut a little bit of grass using this instead, but.. hang on let me post another picture.
>>
File: 20240423_082612.jpg (125 KB, 1184x608)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>2723556
I'm having trouble learning to stone it. I have no idea which of these is fine and coarse or whether on or both is medium.
The faded word/logo/name on the one on the right is L'Americana. There are no helpful details on the boxes or any web pages I could find with pictures resembling them.
>>
>>2723361
Wow. This is very interesting and extremely informative. Are there other volumes or related infographics you can share ?
>>
>>2676569
Remember that you, per natural laws, you aren't meant to reap success from every seed you plant. It is natural to loose some along the way and accept this loss as nature's way of determining whose worth the survival. I advice you to stick to the primitive way of simply planting them and wait for one to sprout and not bother about efficiency nor time.

Also, in our small farm, we do have oranges that we planted years ago, none of them were the results of seed planting though. They all stem from cuttings. My dad used to tell me that current varieties of orange trees are so genetically modified comparing to their ancestral breeds most of them have lost the ability to reproduce naturally via seeds (unironically we'd call them castrated) or at least do so at very low success percentage.
>>
>>2723553
>>2723555
>>2723556
>>2723557
I'm still pretty new to scythes but I think I can help you. I don't have time to post about it now though.
>>
>>2715670
>>2716579
I'm trying to escape eastern washington. We have California tier property prices and Mexico tier crime now. Where's a good place to try homesteading these days?
>>
Well seeing as the actual beekeeping thread is pretty much dead I'll just ask here.
I don't really care about large yields so much, but I would like to do beekeeping as a hobby.
I was looking at getting either a flow hive because the idea of being able to harvest individual frames pretty interesting.
Alternatively I was looking at a warre style hive because it seems to be better for the bees themselves even if it reduces honey production for harvest by me.
>>
>>2723553
Looks like a good ditch blade.

>>2723555
That's different from my peening jig, but you should have a second insert. The first one is for drawing out the metal which is extremely important when repairing the edge. The second one bevels the edge to the proper angle so it can take an edge. The position of the guard looks fine, but my peening jig is very different from yours.

>>2723556
If you continue to use a regular anvil and hammer then you should get a smaller hammer so you avoid ruining your blade. Cutting is about technique and honing the blade more than peening. You shouldn't have needed to peen the blade unless it was completely dull when you got it.

>>2723557
You should be able to feel the difference. From the picture I'd guess that the one on the left is your course, artificial stone, and the one on the right is your medium, natural stone. Pic related is the proper sharpening angle. You shouldn't need to use the course stone very often and I'd recommend getting a short aluminum rod (1/4"-3/8" diameter) for stropping your blade. You'll strop it several times to restore the edge before you have to use your medium stone.
>>
>>2723952
It was about as sharp as a halloween prop when I got it. Any factory edge it may have had probably died in the 1980's in the basement of that hardware store where the owner took 20 minutes to dig it up for me. It's starting to get a good bite though so it's all good.
As for the jig there was no second insert to speak of and no record of the thing even existing online. I'm fairly certain it's intended design is that you make a pass and then turn the wing nut, thus moving the guards forward and positioning the striking face closer to the edge for the next pass. This makes it more versatile than caps while also losing the whole point of a jig where you can peen without being capable of doing that. At least in my case a total beginner does better work freehand than with this thing. I'll probably never use it again.
The hammer is only 400g btw.
I'll see if I can find an aluminum rod and I'll assume the stones are how you described them and see how that works for me. Appreciate the input.
>>
Anyone got any nice tips for lamps, candles, and other forms of non-electrical lighting?
>>
>>2719490
>want to go hiking in the woods and look at nature
>woman thinks I want to kill her in the woods
it's next to impossible to go hiking with a woman
>>
>>2724005
No problem. You should really consider getting a different peening jig. The one I have takes all the guesswork out of peening and repairing the blade and it only takes a couple minutes. I was recommending a smaller hammer so you have a smaller striking area, but if it works for you then keep at it. Once you get used to using a scythe you'll probably want to buy the biggest grass blade.you can find. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>2724006
Beware of fire; kills dozens of Amish children each decade
>>
Not "homesteading" but anyone ever buy an empty suburban (not housing tracts) lot in a low cost area and build a cheap house on it? How much did you spend total? Could I poorfag my way into that or would building regulations crush my dream immediately?
>>
>>2725344
Cost of materials will crush your dream immediately. If you can do all the work yourself and build it to code then you'll save a lot of money, but you're still going to need tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. You can get a building loan, but the bank probably won't approve one for a house you're building yourself.
>>
>>2725344
My grandfather did that but it was back in the 40s. The house had some quirks.
>>
I need help with a trap I'm building. Dogs are destroying everything and killing my chickens. Cheapest solution was to build a trap.
How can I trigger a guillotine style trap?
Whatever I hold the door up with has so much weight on it that I can't trigger it.

I saw some solution using a pin and mousetrap but it requires like 3 hairpin triggers setup at the same time and I can't figure it out. The mousetrap sets off when any weight is added to the trigger so using a teeter totter trigger doesn't make sense because a slight breeze will set it off. Also the wire that attaches from the actual metal bar of the mousetrap can only be set if the mousetrap is set, but if it goes off it's going to fuck up my hand by snaping the piece out of the door.
>>
>>2725427
The easiest solution would be to control your dogs. The next easiest solution would be to buy a chicken tractor to put your birds in. If they aren't your dogs and you can't afford/build a chicken tractor then set up motion activated sprinklers to keep dogs off your property.
>>
File: eathebugs.jpg (2.65 MB, 4032x3024)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
>>
>>2725529
Nice eggs.

Any of you anons find domestic egg shells more brittle that supermarket ones? Would make sense for the egg-logistics to prefent losses.
>>
>>2725735
Depends on your feed. If your shells are brittle then you can feed them egg shells, oyster shells, or another calcium source to help thicken them up.
>>
>>2725529
I heard on /fit/ that higher quality eggs have darker yolks. Google tells me that it just depends on the chicken's diet and isn't indicative of nutritional density. What do you guys think?
I wouldn't be terribly shocked if Google was outright lying. I can't be certain though. I've tried dark almost red yolks and felt strong as hell and want to say they tasted healthy, but that could've been placebo. Also they were from a grocery store where you would think the quality would be lower, granted they don't carry them anymore. I don't know if people refused to eat them or if they cost too much to produce but I will never forgive them. Also I've seen plenty of weak looking light yellow yolks from independent chicken farmers so idk.
>>
>>2725892
It just has to do with the amount of vitamin A in their feed. An egg with a darker yolk will have more vitamin A, but it's not significant. You would get more by having a carrot with your eggs. If you want better eggs you'll have to get chickens and learn what dietary additives are best for them. I use feed fermented with apple cider vinegar and add garlic powder, charcoal, and cayenne pepper. There are a lot of other things you can add to their diet to improve their health and egg quality.
>>
>>2725433
they aren't my dogs. The trick was using a ply that isn't as heavy.

The dogs came by last night and pissed on the trap but they didn't go in because I left the fucking hotdog package out there so they just ate that instead.

>>2725892
Yes, and I don't care what anyone else says. Same with vegetables they pretend they are the same

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.