[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: kinounderthestars.jpg (106 KB, 600x337)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
I'm currently a neet that wants to become /out/ fag. My life has pretty much consisted of me sitting in my room watching Japanese cartoons and staying in the safe zone. I started trying new thing like going out to eat new stuff and really loved it. I live in Europe and had no idea my country has some beautiful /out/ spaces. I wanna visit them all, while I'm still funemployed I would like to see and learn something new and experience life and nature. What do you suggest, I have been thinking of visiting some cool nature park that I never knew it existed. I'm planning to go alone, I lurked for a bit here and saw a lot of camping thread. I never did it and I feel like it's not common i Eu. Keep on mind that Im really anxios about going places and stuff, how do I begin my journey?
>>
>>2696487
Literally just go outside. Find any nearby park or trail, download a navigation app like AllTrails, and take a walk. Bring a couple of bottles of water.
It's hard to give you more information than that, because we have no clue where you live, you have a very low experience level, and you dont even know what you like yet. Start out small. Go on a few hikes by yourself and then come back with specific questions so you can get actual advice.
>>
>>2696487
If you need to ask 4chan how to go outside then you will never be an /out/ist. You lost the game but you never had a chance. I'm guessing you don't have a dad and got bullied in school. You have no skills to be a functioning human being. You can blame your mom, or your country, or your teachers, and they all are partially to blame. But at this point you are a worthless sack of flesh and you should probably just give up.
>>
>>2696487
Look for local hiking groups that do routine hikes on local trails and join them.
> I live in Europe and had no idea my country has some beautiful /out/ spaces.
FFS why does every damn Euro always say that or “In my country”? It might help to specify what nation or region you’re from to give better advice.
Are you near mountains? Plains, coastlands? Forests? Lakes? Rivers? Deserts? Tundra?
> Keep on mind that Im really anxios about going places and stuff, how do I begin my journey?
Dress for the weather and don’t be disheartened by mud or inclement conditions.
Start hiking short simple trails and work your way up if you’re an out of shape neet. Also don’t fall for gimmicky stuff at outdoor stores.
>>
>>2696487
just go outside

you don't have to start off being some mountain man larper with an ultralight kit or something, literally just go outside and enjoy the outdoors. it really is that simple
>>
File: IMG_0198.jpg (148 KB, 502x510)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>2696487
get a tent and spend the night at a local campsite
>>
>>2696487
Best way to do any variety of outdoors stuff is to start with the cheapest-ass thing. Like get a $2 water bottle from walmart and a $3 multitool and a $10 pair of walking shoes, see how it feels to walk around, and if you like it a lot, get a nicer pocketknife or a better pair of shoes or something. No sense in dropping a bunch of money on shit right at the getgo. For example I have a little inflatable rowboat I never use, which is fine, it only cost me a hundred dollars, as opposed to getting a $600 rigid rowboat I never use and which takes up a ton of space
Also good to do hikes, camps, etc the same way: just do a little half-assed two mile walk and then see if it sucks or if your feet hurt or if your neck is cold or whatever. Then you can get a scarf or buy some insoles or whatever, try a longer one, see how it feels, et cetera.
Maybe lame, but easy to get into the habit of. Also this makes it difficult to find yourself in a situation like "Damn I'm 3 miles into the middle of nowhere and I just realized I should have brought a pair of gloves"
>>
Uh also if you havent watched yuru camp you should do this (not joking)
>>
>>2696494
what the fuck is your problem? you sound like the very person you're describing in your post.
>>
>>2696494
God damn it I just lost the game. I had a good streak going, too.
>>
File: 1705601188390040.png (1.15 MB, 820x823)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>2696487
Hey buddy, I was once in the same position as you, a shut in neet who watched anime and read manga all day barely leaving my room.
My dad made me watch a movie called Jeramiah Johnson and i decided going outside looked really cool.
I went on all trails and looked up a short loop trail i could drive to close to where i lived. I just went and walked the trail for like 6 hours. I did this a couple times before buying boots, a tent, and some other gear (naturehike cloud 2 is a great first tent) and started doing brief 1 day camping trips on the weekend. Fags on here with bitch and moan about alltrails, but it is a great resource for noobs. Eventually i was comfortable enough to start going on longer hikes until eventually i made it to doing a 3 week hiking trip. I felt so accomplished and miles better when going outside compared to my room. I even put down the manga and started reading Tolkien when /out/.
You can do it anon, I believe in you
>>
>>2698085
fucking love jeremiah johnson. my papaw made me watch it with him when i was a kid and thats what made me obsessed with the wilderness. my papaw is literally bear claw btw, love that man.
>>
File: nuuskamuikkunen.jpg (42 KB, 498x374)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>2696487
Go outside.

Make a list of what you took with you, mark everything you actually used and leave the rest home next time. If you feel you that some gear would have benefited you, go buy it if it's reasonable.
>>
>>2698085
I am proud of you my man! For me personally, I never had a father but my grandpa on my mom's side who was native always told me stories. He grew up on a survival farm in Oklahoma and his brothers went off to fight in the war so he was the only male child left to help on the farm with all the girls since he was the youngest. During winters when food got low he'd go out to hunt, he'd be out there until he got something for his family. No equipment except for his clothes and a gun, with dwindling supplies back home. This was also during the war when he was just a kid, his dad and mom had him last and they were both old by that point, it was amazing he was conceived. He'd tell me about him and his native family going out on hunting trips or fishing trips. Gay indian stories like encountering wolves and talking to them in native language and apparently that helped. I have no doubts it happened, I just doubt it helped them. The wolf was probably confused as shit. Then he got older he went off to the service and was out in Washington for a lot of it. They did a lot of preparation for Korea even though he never went but he said they'd be sleeping under pines and it was so dark on the forest floor that you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, that always amazed me as a kid. When he passed I basically lost my fishing buddy my only father figure. I still had a deep craving for the outdoors so when I was a teen I started hiking railroads and making my own paths through forests behind my grandma's and now that she's laid to rest I have nothing holding me anywhere except a loving girlfriend with a terminal disease and 2 dogs that are like daughters. If I wasn't able to go outside and forget everything for a second then I'd probably blow my brains out from stress. I don't have much and I know in the future I'll have no one but for now I try my best to provide for and love her and keep my sanity. Not to sound like a hippie but nature is fucking healing man.
>>
>>2696487
VAGRANT HOLIDAY
SHEIYE
Literally just get a cheap backpack, couple bottles of water, a small lunch and a couple oranges and apples,......
.....walk out the door.
It's that easy
>>
1. find a place to go
2. go
3. repeat steps 1 and 2
???
profit

just go. there's always a million reasons NOT to do something. whats the worst that could happen? you don't like it and don't go back? oh well.
>>
>>2699388
Literally do not listen to this advice. A good litmus test if someone is truly /out/ minded is if they unironically recommend those two channels. Real outdoorsman / travelers absolutely shit on those fags. If I want to watch some travel YouTube fucker, it's going to be Bald & Bankrupt. Bonus points because people get so mad at him.
>>
>>2698085
Based
>>
>>2699205
How do you hike on railroad tracks? Do you just avoid trains when they come through? Been wanting to walk on some tracks but I don’t wanna get jumped
>>
>>2696487
Like lots of others are saying, just go out and do shit. Probably best to start small and just go for long walks or try little projects that take an afternoon. Collecting knowledge is more valuable than collecting gear. Go ahead and buy whatever you want but also make sure to learn how to get shit done with minimal extras. Some things that will be useful to know:
>knife sharpening
>making cordage
>knowing common local trees/plants
>familiarity with making and maintaining fires
Some things you'll probably want to get
>knife(s)
>folding saw
>regular butane lighter / ferro rod
The saw is optional but really handy if you want to try building/making anything. Shaping up a walking stick or carving a spoon can be great chill things to do while you're out.
>>
Watch Encouragement of Climb, and Yuru Camp,
Then find a camp grounds that's easily accessible
>>
>>2696489
>>2699399
>literally frfr f a m on clutch sheesh yeet, amirite
Opinions discarded
>>
>>2696489
Don't listen to this guy, hiking is a pain in the ass. Check on the maps for a forested area close to you, go there and take a map/your phone so you know where you are. Relax and enjoy nature, see how many different plants, creatures and insects you can identify/research. Take your time, breathe the fresh air, listen and take note of different sounds and smells. That's what it's all ab/out/, hiking is just a method of getting from one place to another.
>>
>>2701082
>on clutch
Nobody says this.
>>
>>2696487
>Shoes
>Water
>Sandwich
>Hat
>Rain coat if it may rain
Go find a local park or a big old cemetery, go for a walk, find a bench, eat your sandwich and walk home. Congratulations you've started going /out/. Perfect is the enemy of done, so start small, don't worry about 'getting it right' or anything like that and for God's sake don't spend money on anything yet.
>>
>>2696487
Where are you located?
In general, I'd say just go outside and enjoy nature.
You'll figure the rest out after a while, but if you're in some shithole like Germany where you get fined for going off trail, I guess you might be somewhat fucked for options.
>>
>>2696487
unironically just go outside
>>
I'm in the same situation. But I live in south Florida. And I don't have a car. There is no "just go outside" for me. I still do go outside all the time but it's not really /out/ and there's nowhere to camp. To be honest I prefer every other biome than the one I'm in. Deserts and forests are so nice. I wish I wasn't born in this artificial hell hole filled with homeless and criminals. I can't get out. I'm so unhappy and bitter man.
>>
>>2699205
You sound like a cool guy
>>
man I want to go /out/ for real. going to parks and shit just feels like larp.
>>
>>2702681
yeah me too. last time I left the city a man with a sack of potatoes and a broken knife yelled at me about trail running shoes and insulted my coleman tent, then tried to explain something called "batoning" to my girlfriend.
>>
>>2696487
90% sure you're a burger trying to bait, but incase you aren't:
-Get some water bottles. plan 1l / 2h (for now - sooner or later, you'll switch to a filter and a small canteen, so don't waste your money at this point)
-Get a slung bag. Yes, not a rucksack, those make you sweat like hell. a cheap bread bag or haversack will do. My first one was a 10€ miltec pseudo-surplus (that wore out after a few years), my current one is a 15€ highlander repro of the m37.
-go out. Literally just pack some water and maybe a few snacks, and start walking. I'd recommend picking an area between roads at first, so you won't get lost (since there'll be a road within a few km in any direction). Once you get used to it you'll be able to tell your position to within a few km by instinct. You could also go full larp and buy a GPS, but you don't need that unless you're planning on hiking at night, in fog or intense rain. Oh, and don't fall for the compass meme. Compasses work reasonably well in wide open plains like the american prairies, but are completely worthless in mountainous forests. And that's the terrain you'll be in in most of europe.
>>2696496
>FFS why does every damn Euro always say that or “In my country”?
Because most of them are larping ameritards? t. German
>>
>>2699399
>Real outdoorsman / travelers absolutely shit on those fags.
>Real "outdoorsman" care for some random youtube channels
I keked.
>>
>>2696487
to ease your anxiety, bring a bluetooth speaker and play your favorite anime theme songs while you walk
>>
>>2696487
you likely have NEET video game brain rot, so gamify your out journeys
>collect samples of all native trees, shrubs, flowers etc and display them
>collect samples of local rocks and display them
Going outside isnt going to cut it for most people, for me I always go /out/ on a mission to see/collect/learn something specific
>>
>>2696487
Walk outside
Simple as
>>
>>2702861
Why did you even say this to me
>>
>>2701123

t. fatty who can't walk more than 5 minutes without being winded.

don't listen to this guy, hiking is fucking based & possibly the best form of low-intensity exercise there is while also helping you get /out/.
>>
>>2703060
I assumed you were trolling because it's extremely retarded to wish you could go to a place that's free to enter and requires about $50 of gear from Craigslist and yet never do it.
>>
>>2703441
Well like I said, I dont have that option in my specific corner of the world
>>
>>2703477
post city/town/area. I bet $20 of internet money there's something within a day's drive.
>>
>>2696487
Tf is a /out/ guy
>>
>>2696487
Is this some madeup larpo shit
>>
File: Prospector.jpg (267 KB, 582x509)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>2696487
Take up gold panning.
>>
>>2698085
Giga based. Jeremiah Johnson is a masterpiece too.
>>
>>2703019
that's actually a cool advice
>>
>>2708195
>a prospector is never late, frodo billy-bob-baggins
>>
>>2701123
>hiking is a pain in the ass
Topkek fatass
>>
>>2698085
>I even put down the manga and started reading Tolkien
Kek, bait
>>
>>2696487
Learn the secret art of batoning
>>
File: wic8oxjkdvf01.jpg (997 KB, 1896x2860)
997 KB
997 KB JPG
>>2696487
please dont cause a fire
>>
>>2696487
Start with hiking some short trails, then buy a tent and stay at a nearby camp ground, soon you’ll be larping like a wild forest dweller for weeks at a time in the woods or a hermit wizard building a stone hermitage and reading esoteric grimoires inside of it. I’m not projecting you are
>>
>>2710886
KEK
>>
>>2696487
1. start going for at least 1 walk every single day, no matter what. doesn't matter if its short. do it every. single. day.
2. based on conditions learn what gear you need
3. over time walk longer and in different places.

that's it, stick to i and you'll learn to be /out/ over time
>>
>>2701082
You're balding
>>
>>2703019
Also, geocaching works for absolute NEET/zoomzoom-internet brain rot for gameifying outdoors
>>
>>2696487
Bump
>>
>>2703019
>>2714993
for me it’s being a completionist and hiking as many trails and going for as many miles as possible in a year
number go up
>>
>>2696487
You can start by putting together a bag of basic gear to use when going out. Try testing out your gear for a full day and night right outside your own home to see if there's anything you need to add to it.

Once you feel confident you have everything you need, start making a list of nearby locations with campsite and hiking trails you'd like to check out. Some places may want you to register a campsite beforehand, others are first come first serve, usually they'll have a website where you can check or call them to find out. If you dont want to bother with all that you can just go for a day hike too.

Before you go out make sure to tell someone where youre going and when you'll be back, so on the off chance you get lost, there will be someone to come look for you. It will be even better if you have a buddy who'll go with you, more people will help scare off predators, also one of you can call for help if the other gets hurt. Don't worry too much though, not likely that anything bad will happen it's just better to be prepared for it is all.

When you're in the outdoors be respectful of nature. Don't chop down trees, or throw trash on the ground, or harass the wildlife. Don't start fires outside of the designated fire pits, and make sure to put them out before you go.
>>
>>2696494
projecting fag. OP will make it
>>
>>2699399
You should use each outing as an opportunity to try practicing a new skill. Try and learn something new each time you go out, things that will make you more capable in the outdoors.

Some things you could try:
>Going for a hike to work on increasing your endurance so you can hike farther.
>Cooking, learning new meals you can cook over a fire.
>Trying new methods of building or starting a fire. Try it without needing lighter fluid, or without a lighter, or matches.
>Making a shelter out of a tarp and some rope, or some sticks and leaves.
>Learning some knots, building some useful camp furniture by lashing sticks together.
>Practice whittling with your knife. make some neat looking carvings or basic tools.
>Navigating by map and compass, maybe you have some orienteering courses near you
>Identifying plants found in your area, especially the ones that are poisonous.
>Looking for animals, recognizing animal trails.
>Fishing, trapping, or hunting if you have the permits for it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.