[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download (3).jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Just got an REI membership and all I want to do now is consooooom
>>
>>2700073
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEI
>>
What are the best items rei has to offer?
>>
>>2700086
boots because they let you return them for 1 year if you have a membership (the guy at the store said 100 days, but the receipt said 1 year from purchase so not 100% sure)
anyways I bought boots, they were too small, and I got to exchange them even though I'd hiked up a mountain in them for a bigger size
that said, do not buy bicycle helmets at rei, their prices are nutrageous
>>
>>2700104
Their tire prices are kind of nutrageous too but their selection of stuff for mountain biking is pretty good. My nearest REI turned into a bike shop that also sells Patagonia jackets.
>>
>a membership just to buy secondhand shit
Are all of you retarded
>>
>>2700158
REI doesn't sell used items.
>>
>>2700086
The Mountain Hardwear airmesh layers at 30% off right now and are crazy warm and light, highly recommend as an upgrade from polartec grid fleece.
>>
>>2700162
Yes they do
>>
>>2700162
What do you think happens to the boots you returned?
>>
>>2700213
>>2700214
Every store sells open box or refurbished items, but that post implies their primary business is selling used items.
>>
>>2700250
you're right about how stupid that post was, but REI also sells used items that aren't open box or refurbished. It's an extreme minority of their inventory at any given time, though
>>
>>2700165
>Shills the latest deal
>Takes the time to memorise the brand/model of overpriced coat, needs to upgrade though for own sense of wellbeing

This board is full of this type of energy. You don't buy a coat, you buy a series of coats until you settle on one that has been endlessly engineered to appeal to your whims. You want to feel connected with nature, but at the same time, pampered by the artifical fabric that you cover your natural self with.

Not even women used to be this way, but here you are as a modern man.
>>
File: 1708190684338.jpg (2.2 MB, 2040x1536)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
>>2700318
Who pissed in your cereal? I'm just sharing a piece of equipment that works for me and passing on that info. When's the last time you went /out/? Post a picture of you outside before ranting about "retvrn to tradition" you baboon. It's literally $60, if you think that's some exorbitant sum then go get a job or something wagie poorfag.
>>
>>2700086
I like to get my wool socks there
>>
>>2700318
>this type of energy
You don't go outside.
>>
>>2700357
>energy
Zoomer begone
>>
>>2700086
Clothing, no doubt. REI is like 90% clothes. They usually have some ok sales.

The REI co-op backpack was bretty gud but it’s gotten a little too expensive. Its main draw was the competitive price, but it’s the same as every other pack now. Same with the Half Dome tent, but it was always a little too expensive.

>>2700318
>This board is full of this type of energy.
No it isn’t.
>>
>>2700359
You still don't go outside.
>>
>>2700370
In coming up with a witty reply, I realized that you were not the original poster of the trash zoomerspeak. I mistakenly called you a zoomer and for that I humbly apologize.
>>2700318
Zoomer begone
>>
>>2700073
My pops went to UW in the 70s and had an REI membership number with triple digits. I took him to the store here in Eugene a couple years back and he said (and I quote)
>what the fuck happened to this place?
We almost immediately turned around and left.
Based dad, love you old man.
>>
>>2700404
Eugene is a pit but the woods are comfy
>t. Went to school at UO
>>
REI is overpriced junk, just like every company in the US now.
>>
>>2700086
Pants with a draw string so you don’t need a belt. Seriously, removing my belt so I can put my pack on and buckle my load bearing straps is really annoying
>>
File: squirreljak.jpg (103 KB, 750x1000)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>2700108
NIGGA THATS NUTS
>>
File: wild 2014.jpg (446 KB, 1016x1600)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
>>2700104
You should watch this movie. In the movie she is helped by some policy that REI has with boots.
>>
>>2700086
sometimes they have good quality stuff on clearance. it's the only stuff i buy from there really.
>>
Rei means king in Portuguese. And it’s no surprise that many outdoors people like the colour purple, because purple used to be used only by royalty in the past.
>>
>>2700086
some condescending advise from the associates but an opportunity to try on/get sized for gear. otherwise buy from amazon
>>
>>2700073
Im so poor when I walk into one of these bad boys NOBODY asks if I need help finding something

And it's true, I'm merely stoned and walking around
>>
>>2704620
so u work there lol
>>
>Eligible Purchases: $360
>Noneligible Purchases: $735
>>
i dont know enough to say anything about their selection but they seem to hire the faggiest people on the planet it’s uncanny
>>
>>2704709
Kek
>>
>>2700086
got some permethrin there, but i left it in the car over winter and it might be fucked now idk it got like -5 f out there for a bit. got some waterphobic gloves for canoeing that worked perfectly for a ~50 hr trip
>>
>>2700352
Me too, I've stolen countless pairs of wool socks from them
>>
>>2700073
Is REI the equivalent of Decathlon's in Europe?
>>
>>2700073
I have one too but I don't even know what it does. You get a percentage back in giftcards and you get rentals in hub cities? The prices for plastic clothes there are all completely insane.
>>
File: 505271_53358_41.jpg (142 KB, 1200x1379)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
I my experience LL Bean has the best price/quality and people seem to think it is as expensive as patagonia despite being 1/3rd the price.
>>
>>2706784
Isn't LL Bean fashion for single moms that watch too much Yellowstone?
>>
>>2706799
Kinda. It's also funny that he chose that item in particular to show off because REI and LL Beans anorak are within like $5 of each other.
>>
>>2706799
They have comparable plastic clothes to any other plastic clothing brand for cheaper. They used to be very nice back in the 90s.
>>
>>2700073
I’ll shop there for gear, pretty much anything but clothing, unless it’s expedition tier shit, but I tend to order that rather than just dropping by. If you are groomed trail /out/, their clothes are fine. If you are /offtrailout/…their puffy and weak pants will be shredded in minutes.
>>
>>2707257
What about these bad boys
>>
File: jeans.png (833 KB, 2916x1360)
833 KB
833 KB PNG
>>2707257
Or do you need these
>>
It's weird that REI insists on pretending that black people go camping. I've never seen a black person on a backpacking trail, and almost never on state park campgrounds. Fishing sure, but not overnight camping. Yet every single REI ad has blacks in it, often BMWF.
>>
File: 1704903284415192.jpg (42 KB, 496x476)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>2707378
Despite being only 13% of the population, blacks are in 90% of advertisements. Why is that? Who is doing this? Why are they advertised in places that make zero sense like j crew or banana republic or rei? We all know the answer but are not allowed to speak it.
>>
>>2707268
>>2707270
A pair of double front duck Carharrt pants are fine 99.9% of the time here in Western WA. Heavy duty rain pants over the top of it’s pouring. Zero point in buying fancy shit unless it does something a basic bitch product can not. I see zero reality based benefit to utilizing Vknywgfvden pants .
>>
>>2707378
At least 70% of REI members wish the outdoors was all black though
>>
used to go to REI a lot when I lived in a city and just drove around going to college and bars, then hiking on the weekend.

ever since growing up and owning a house with a little land, i realized i need clothes that can take a beating, and that's carhartt for me.
>>
>>2707548
I just buy $13 costco jeans and throw them away when they blowout.
>>
>>2700086
Whatever is on the return rack with only the slightest issue with it but is almost a hundred dollars off
>>
>>2700073
Is Kuhl stuff exclusive to REI? I like their pants and want one of their jackets. Expensive as fuck tho, I might just get some Varusteleka stuff for now.
>>
>>2707692
They have kuhl at sheels
>>
>>2700073
holy based
when i was 16 i bought a rei membership and my first trip i dropped 800$ dollars on random shit
>>
>>2707997
They don't even sell guns though
>>
>>2708016
Muttbrained response killed the thread.
>>
>>2700073
>REI
The faggiest of all outdoor stores.
>>
>>2709833
This guy shops at Dicks
>>
>>2709830
They have rei outside of the usa? I thought it was just a gayfag pnw yuppie thing for techbros to buy their patagonia and bicycles.
>>
>>2709978
The comparable store would be cabellas/bass pro. Of course they sell things for people who hunt and have trucks that can tow boats instead of just a subaru forester with a roofrack
>>
>>2707479
>>2707451
>>2707378

I still can't even fathom why this is. I have also never met a black person that wants to go camping. They are all very vocal about NOT wanting to go when I talk about it. So what is this push to get them to do something they don't want? Is it literally just companies trying to get more consumers?
>>
>>2704183
i never really thought about this lol. i do rock some purple gear in my kit.
>>
also fuck rei. there's way better cottage companies around now for much better quality for lower if not the same prices as rei. i bought my gear from them for my first backpacking trip, and they have some decent stuff to replace worn clothes/gear. however they're a woke garbage company now thats expensive as fuck. rei (especially their name brand stuff) used to be a good option to get into backpacking/hiking/out without spending an arm and a leg. not anymore.
>>
Have any of you worked there? What's the employee discount like? I'm kind of a bum right now and looking to get a thing out two for this season (new whitewater helmet and throw bag, and possibly a tent.)
>>
>electiontourists whining about some thing they don't like
good thread
>>
>>2710015
It's ESG scoring. Esg is basically a social credit score where an unelected oligarchy of the ultrarich assign a score to your company based on if you do exactly what they say or not. If you do not comply then they lower the ESG score. If they lower the ESG score then the major money management firms, Blackrock, Statestreet, Vanguard pull out of your stock which tanks your stock and therefore your company. It's a cooersion tool. And after they all got all that bailout money from the 2008 bubble crash and the peaky proles all decided they hated the bankers and the federal reserve and wallstreet and the government, they decided they needed to push a message of in-fighting and division. So ever since then they have been constantly having everyone racialize everything and opening up the borders to destroy any sembalance of national identity or unity. Their goal is to have mindless consumer-slaves and a reduced population. Putting black guys in spf 50+ sunscreen commercials is just one small component of that overall goal.
>>
>>2710245
preach
>>
File: backcountry.jpg (235 KB, 1756x1314)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>2700073
oh that reminds me i feel like ihaven't gotten a disbursement from REI for a couple years and i bought a lot of stuff last year. how do i check if i have a credit coming?

>>2700086
mid everything
>>
>>2707378
oy vey
>>
>>2700318
Bruh it’s called wanting to be fucking comfortable and it’s important af for spending a lot of time outside. Go /out/ into some rain/below freezing temps/scorching hot temps/high wind with your manly man manhood attitude and inadequate layers, and you will be begging for the synthetics in an hour. Existing outside isn’t a masculinity pissing contest

>t.ranny
>>
>>2710815
Nah I own wool and linen. Keep your soiboy plastics
>>
File: 20230916_121008.jpg (2.89 MB, 4160x1872)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
>>2700073
They make pretty good stuff desu. Their name brand stuff is actually quite good for the price. Though as I have gained experience I have moved away from them and their kooky woke shit hasn't helped much. I used to buy about 50% of my gear from them, but now probably buy about 5% of my gear from them now. Most of my gear is now through smaller companies and mom & pop operations or making my own. When I encounter beginner backpackers that want to do more I always recommend REI to them for the following reasons. Generous return policy, decent named brand gear, knowledgeable employees and good prices on used gear or new gear when you can get it on sale.
>>
>>2704611
>condescending advise from the associates
Where do you live that REI employees actually go outside enough to have advice to offer? The closest REI to me is staffed by high school students that couldn't even walk ten feet from a trailhead.
>>
>>2713246
Where I live they give decent to good advice. Dunno where you live, but it sounds like it sucks.
>>
>>2700073
I got rainpants and a layerable rain jacket there, got the membership that day, used the membership rebate coupon to get a good pair of cold weather gloves

Honestly that was everything i needed, cant imagine what else id get outside of maybe using their bike repair services.
>>
>>2713268
They don't sell guns or fishing gear so unless you use a bike I don't get how they have any return customers. Like you only need one of most of the things they sell there in general. It's weird to be just for outdoor fashion and backpacking and bicycles.
>>
>>2707378
I have a black friend that wants to go camping amd do outdoorsy stuff but her family is composed of first generation trinidadian immigrants. They also regularly consume Infowars and other right wing news outlets.
>>
>>2713328
>trinidadian immigrants. They also regularly consume Infowars and other right wing news outlets.
Based. I used to work with a trin forklift driver. Needless to say, we didn't fall for the vaxx
>>
Is buying a fleece jacket dumb? I hear the material goes bad fast
>>
>>2715459
Not if it's cheap. It's fucking plastic. Don't spend over $40 on that shit. I saw some ll bean ones at dillards on spring clearance for like $32 last week. They have marmot, ll bean, north face, pendleton winter shit on clearance right now.
>>
>>2713271
i go there for footwear, powergel type of shit, cooking gas. Though overall they clearly lean on fashion for the bulk of repeat customer purchases
>>
>>2715488
All their shoes are sold elsewhere for cheaper. It's a good place to try on though. And the gas is cheaper at cabellas.
>>
>>2710245
you're retarded, sorry m8
>>
>>2715491
How old are you?
>>
>>2715491
Based and public education pilled
>>
>>2710126
You will never be an oldfag.
>>
>>2700318
On clutch
>>
>>2700318
I love clothing and clothing's history and shit like mink oil for leather and resoling boots and wool and linen and different knits and weaves and why. Clothing is a tool.
>>
>>2715492
not sure what you're getting at. you clearly read some shit by people who wanted you think something, didn't actually look into the topic of ESG, then confidently made assertions about a topic about which you have a transparently entry-level (and politically slanted) understanding. That's the behavior of a proudly dumb person. My age isn't relevant to any of that, but you're presenting as a below-average 19 yo

>>2715494
an attempt was made
>>
>>2717795
i asked chat gpt and google and they both told me esg is a good thing why do people think sustainable economic development and social justice and carbon reduction is a bad thing
>>2715494
ok homeschooled jesus yokel
>>
>>2717823
posters don't seem to care about corporate governance, but they also think that issuers/managers of cap-weighted index funds "pull out of stocks" based on ESG. Those sorts of posters were never credible to begin with.
>>
>>2717850
please explain it more than that I don't get it at all
>>
File: 22801_NENA.jpg (825 KB, 1920x1920)
825 KB
825 KB JPG
Just bought this fleece jacket on Craigslist for 50 bucks. Gonna order a new one at rei and return this used one.
>>
>>2700086
The Flash Air is a good tent, and the magma sleeping bags are incredible for the price when they go on sale. The bikes are decent starters too
>>2700162
You are retarded, yes we do
>>2700368
They didn't use to be all clothes, but rich people discovered technical gear, and the rest is history
>>2707378
This is something none of the employees understand, either. REI is usually staffed by white people because black people don't go outside. REI has no shareholders, because they're a Co-op, so they don't *have* to actually care about DEI and ESG. They do anyway. I think a bunch of retarded MBA's at the top saw that we had zero black customer demographic on a random spreadsheet, and figured it's an untapped market. They're wrong, but as a "progressive" company (that union busts worse than amazon) they can't backtrack without getting major backlash. They also hire the same consultants as shareholder held companies, and their default line is probably "More minorities in your ads".

REI used to be actually progressive and it worked, because hippies eat that shit up, but they've changed their market to rich people that want patagucci and deadbird. Thus why all of the new locations are in very expensive areas with expensive leases; the older REI's are not. It used to be run by board members and CEOs that actually went outdoors. They rig the board elections, that are supposed to be voted on by the members, so that they can get in all of their MBA buddies that ruin other stores via layoffs of knowledgeable employees and selling worse gear at higher prices. Last year they fired hundreds of experienced employees and replaced them with 1000+ seasonal workers.
>>2713246
My store only hires people that actually go outside, but your store might not care about that. Even our frontliners go on backpacking trips and shit
>>
>>2718705
How much do youget paid and how much of a discount do you get?
>>
>>2718715
Can't give out exactly what I get paid because it's easy to find out which store I'm at, and corporate already hates me. Incredibly well for a retail job. Enough that it's worth dealing with all of their changes and corporate bullshit.

50% off anything with an REI logo, 30% off anything else in the store, with separate prodeals straight from the venders that are worth it.
>>
>>2718842
I just wanna say the guys at the NJ Paramus store are good if you're familiar with them. I went last week to prepare for the eclipse trip and everyone I met and got help from were great. Good team over there.
>>
File: 1568575433906.jpg (55 KB, 540x699)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
if i remember right REI was some trendy dollar store walmart equivalent american chain store but solely for outdoors stuff
they have low low prices for bad products and this is why everyone who shops there is either poor and have no idea what he is doing or someone larping with bad gear just for clout
did i get that right
t. some anon explained REI to me some 5 years ago and this is basically what i remember
>>
>>2718849
No, it's all high dollar libcuck gear with no fishing or hunting section. Mostly they sell fashion products like patagonia and fjallraven. They have the usual citycuck staple of a bicycle section and they have gay pride outdoors and trans rights gear.
>>
>>2718903
>Mostly
my local store is about 30% clothing and 70% gear. My local one has a decent ski/bike shop inside as well but I dont think they all do. The funny thing is this one is right next to Sportsmen Warehouse...I go to both but most in my town go to one of the other.
>>
>>2718846
I've never actually been to that store, but I'm glad they're pretty good. Most REI's do hire well.
>>2718849
Nah, used to be upscale camping gear for cheap, now it's upscale clothing and gear for expensive. It's also a cooperative and you get money back for becoming a member blah blah I'm not typing out my membership pitch

Your pay raises and (secretly) hours are determined by how good you are at converting non-members to members. Along with helping to get promotions, which is retarded, because managers don't sell memberships. Recently, REI corporate has been trying to get employees to push the credit card, which really only benefits super richfags. Some employees drink the kool-aid, many do not. Membership *is* worth it if you go more than once a year and like the coupons.
>>2718903
To be fair, REI never sold hunting gear, it was invented for a bunch of hippies to get cheaper alpine climbing gear. They expanded on that. Most (If not all) REI's have a really good bike selection, and if it's not in stock, even nicer bikes can be ordered. Even specialty mountain bikes. The bike shops are also excellent, you can get a pretty cheap tune up and the people will usually fix simple issues for free if a manager isn't hovering. Some stores also have a ski shop.

REI used to sell some fly fishing gear, but I guess it didn't sell well. It's a progressive company, and has been long before it went woke, so they would never full-dive into fishing, let alone hunting. They'd make a killing but lose half of their customer base in the process over the horror of dead animals.

Also, Fjallraven is probably one of the better brands we sell. I like how sturdy the clothing is. Outdoor research is weird but also great. Patagonia is for prestige, Arc'teryx is hit or miss. Their super technical stuff is great, their normie stuff is kinda lame.
>>2718907
Some stores are more clothing than others, it all depends on the demographics of the customers.
>>
>>2719100
>Outdoor research is weird but also great.
just like me for real
no wonder i like them so much
>>
File: 26430_NUVG.jpg (779 KB, 1920x1920)
779 KB
779 KB JPG
Thoughts on this jacket?
>>
>>2719725
It looks quite ugly and funcyionally confused is it on clearance
>>
>>2719725
Way too hot late spring through mid-fall. Good with hip waders. Over-engineered. Just buy unitary fleece, it's usually cheaper.
>>
>>2719844
>>2719890
Ordered this instead
>>
>>2700104
You can return used bike helmets, they don’t question it. Your statement is only true because of that though
>>
File: Disgust.jpg (158 KB, 1080x1080)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>2704162

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/617989458

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Cheryl-Strayed-audiobook/product-reviews/B007MIWUG0/ref=cm_cr_unknown?filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

>cheating on her husband
>becomes drug addict
>gets abortion after being a whore
>pretends to go from being a drug addict whore to hiking a thousand miles with a humongous backpack with zero preparation or physical conditioning

Not gonna bother reading this work of fiction or watching the movie. Sounds like a fraud.
>>
>>2710245
I checked up on that Allyship in the outdoor course and apperantly its closed. They are no longer taking any applicants.

Guess the public backlash got them retracting everything.
>>
As with all woke companies, just abuse their return policies. If they didn’t have their 1 year policy, I wouldn’t buy shit from them. I can go test drive a backpack or jacket and return it after beating it to shit. I’ve done this with REI and Amazon. With Amazon I will buy a used or older model and the newer one as well. Then I place the old version in the new box and return the “new” item, effectively getting a nice discount.
>>
I love this board how fuckin absolutely butt blasted and personally offended overweight diabetic d*scord mods get when anybody ever makes a thread about going outside
>>
>>2700086
If you need apparel or the absolute bear minimum of some piece of gear they are often your only option. the "best" items they have are really just the fact that they are available.

there is no reason to ever go to one for any other reason.
>>
>>2710245
REI doesnt have stock. its a co-op.

Their weird fetish for black people is purely ideologically driven.
>>
>>2722478
their return policy is a lot tougher in practice these days. its not 2002 anymore.
>>
>>2707378
the only black people on backpacking trails are there to mug or kill white women
>>
>>2723000
I'll never pass for a woman though :'^(
>>
>>2722931
REI associate hands typed this post
>>
>>2700073
The only /out/ store faggier than REI is Dicks/Public Lands.
>>
File: im right you know.png (566 KB, 670x500)
566 KB
566 KB PNG
>>2723544
and whichever one you're in at a given moment
>>
>>2700086
I need sun protection anytime I'm in the sun, and Mountain Hardware makes great UPF 50 hiking shirts, as well as normal flannels.
Like their trail pants too

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.