[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

/out/ings with a Pipe
Old thread: >>2684982

This is a thread for enjoying a pipe while doing outdoor activities. If you ask why this belongs on /out/, you've never spent an evening by the campfire with a pipe silently enjoying the nature around you, and you're missing out.

>how to get started
Purchase a Missouri Meerschaum Legend and a pouch of Half and Half or Captain Black tobacco, available at most smoke shops. You will need a lighter or match, and something to tamp it with--a large nail works well if you don't have a pipe tool. Fill the pipe with tobacco, pack it down halfway, top it off, pack it down to 3/4, top it off again, pack gently and enjoy. Smoke slower than you think you need to, the tobacco tastes best when it is burning cool. Tamp and re-light as needed. If you still have trouble, try different methods on YouTube until you find one that works for you.

>smoking a pipe will give you cancer
While any tobacco consumption comes with some risk, the cancer risks from occasional pipe use are pretty minimal. Educate yourself and make your own informed health decisions. Some info here https://aacrjournals.org/cancerpreventionresearch/article/10/12/704/46541/Association-between-Cigar-or-Pipe-Smoking-and

>muh weed
Not the time or place. Start your own thread
>>
It’s gay to smoke.
>>
>>2701181
https://youtu.be/i8QKckrDVFQ
Based
>>
I'm looking to expand my horizons, as so far I'm only really liking English blends. I've tried Capstan Blue and didn't care for it much its the only Virginia I've tried. Any other Virginia's I should try? I have a tin of Elizabethen I'm going to crack soon, heard thats a good VaPer. What about Haunted Bookshop for Burly blends? Going to try that as 4nogs has a good deal on bulk, but are there any other I should check out?
>>
>>2701289
I like Haunted Bookshop, but really dislike the retrohale. Since I smoke a lot of english tobacco, that's important to me. Recently I tried Old Joe Krantz and found it more palatable to the nose, so I'd recommend getting a small amount of that to try, too.
>>
>>2701289
Give Billy Budd a try. Burley, Latakia and cigar leaf. If you want something without the Lat, try Billy Budd Blonde
>>
>>2701328
HB gave me a weird nose/throat irritation during the first third of a bowl. After that it was very nice. But it was bad enough that I wondered if I got a bad batch (it was bulk). I jarred it 4-5 months ago and am going to give it another shot in a month or two and hope it has mellowed.
>>
File: 20240220_235147.jpg (1.52 MB, 4000x1848)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
I keep grinding holes in my pipe stems, here's my Stanwell, but I've ruined like 3 corncobs
>>
>>2701543
Every tried the rubber pipe bits?
https://4noggins.com/collections/assorted-necessary-pipe-stuff/products/b-j-long-rubber-pipe-bits-2-pack
>>
File: 20240221_102108.jpg (1.57 MB, 4000x1848)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>2701657
Yea I have them on all my daily smokers
>>
>>2701289
Try C&D Opening Night. I think it’s a great intro to straight Virginias. More flavorful and sweeter than Capstan Blue which I tend to find boring (sorry, Tolkien).
>>
File: americanclub.jpg (94 KB, 600x600)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
help anons

I've been smoking pipes for a few years, I like the OTC blends over the english blends I am looking for a better virginia that gives me the aroma of a late 80s fly shop with that spicy cigar leaf balanced with red virginia I put this response into GPT and got dunhill nightcap which isn't the prescribed fix for this. I am well aware that these blends are more like cologne than the actual fix but I'm due for a strong shag that delivers this, I was also thinking of Daughters and Ryan blends and OHM natural (YEAH I SMOKE THAT SHIT WHO THE FUCK PAYS THROUGH THE NOSE FOR AN ALL DAY SMOKE) thanks anons posting what I've been smoking all year
>pic rel
>>
are you supposed to take pipe smoke into your lungs, like cigarettes
or are you only supposed to take it into your mouth, like cigars?

the only tobacco pipe im familiar with is the hookah, which you are intended to inhale
>>
>>2701543
Use a bent pipe nd you dont have to clench hard, it just hangs there
>>2701936
Not supposed to inhale, but some do. Others inhale just the very first puff fore more taste.
>>
>>2701936
A small amount of people do inhale, but you aren’t supposed to. It’s not going to be anywhere near as smooth as hookah to inhale.
>>
>>2701936
I've heard of people inhaling pipe smoke but that is the minority. I've tried it and it was unpleasant which is antithetical to what smoking a pipe is supposed to be about. Breathing it out through your nose every so often is a good way to get the aroma though.
>>
Any nosewarmer recs? Or a small pipe that isn't a grabow lark? Or some good words about a grabow lark.
>>
File: PXL_20240222_224531664.jpg (2.72 MB, 4080x3072)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
I quit smoking cigarettes at the end of last year and got off the patch at the end of January. How long before I can break into this aged tobacco and not revert to old ways?
>>
>>2702095
They say three weeks to break a habit, so double it to be safe.
>>
>>2702106
Who is they? I heard 5 or 6 weeks is where an old habit rears its ugly head and that's been true for me. I'll hold off til the end of march just to be really safe.
>>
I bought my pipe and tobacco but I can't smoke in my apartment and I'm too self conscious to smoke in public. What if people talk to me?
>>
>>2702119
Take up binge drinking or a xanax addiction so you don't care what people think about anything at all. Or don't smoke a pipe until you're in your 70s and also have zero anxiety about irrelevant retarded bullshit unless you're my autistic retard of a mother who made my life hell. In that case, kill yourself.
>>
>>2702119
I felt the same way, but honestly in the last year and a half of smoking a pipe, I've gotten maybe three comments on it, all of which were positive. Most people are just too absorbed in their own affairs to notice.
>>
>>2702119
Stop caring about what other people think about you. It'll make your life nic.e
>>
Is it the butane I'm using or is it the lighter I'm using? It's a soft flame and since it ran out, the flame isn't as good as when I bought it new. They didn't top off the butane and I have a can at home, the flame is so small on max settings. Butane is Clipper brand
>>
>>2702163
Need to post slower, brand new lighter as well I used it 3-4 times and it went out.
>>
>>2702165
Probably want filled to the max. There is definitely different quality of gas cans out there though, noticed it with the campstove.
>>
I tried to import some American pipe tobacco to here in the UK. First of all it seemingly got lost at Customs in London, and I had to chase them up on fucking Twitter to get some progress.

I did as much research as my government's website would allow, totalled up the amount of tax I'd pay, and then boom, they want double and more for some reason. I thought it'd be around £80 tax on around 250g of tobacco, but nope, they want £186 making it unfeasible to say the least!

Smokingpipes.com say on their website that they won't give refunds when this happens, but I did my due dilligence so I think that's unfair. When they send it back to the States I'll send them an email saying that it was lost and I did everything I could to find it, but to no avail. Hopefully that will suffice and I'll get my £55 back.

Thge historical irony is just too intense - tax tax tax. I can see why you people finally had enough and decided to fuck off and make your own country. Anyway, enjoy your pipes lads.
>>
>>2702095
You've sat there with that tobacco in your houser, and you didn't smoke any while quitting? I think you're ready, and have been for a while.

For me, smoking pipes gives a good nic hit (especially when you hold the smoke for a while), but it also feels comfortably different than smoking cigs, so I don't get the urge to go back. GThat's the thing about Nicky though, she's the type of fickle lady that you just want a taste of one last time, I know how you feel.
>>
>>2702225
I didn't want to relapse or deal with cravings, but I'm starting to think I've been an irritable asshole the whole time and smoking was the only thing that kept it at bay. While I enjoy smoking a pipe, it's not the thing I was addicted to that made me chain cigarettes and drink so I could smoke more. It's an awful rainy day, I might go for a walk or something later and see if I remember the art of not burning a hole through a briar bowl.
>>
>>2702225
Smoking my pipe helps me to not want a beer because I sit there, think, and sometimes I get sleepy.
>>
>>2702224
not worth the trouble
>>
>>2702095
>>2702297
C&D Exclusive review (aged 3yrs)

It's much better than what I put into these jars, that's for sure. Originally it was a VaPer that was about half perique, although the perique was not as forward as one would expect. The virginia tobacco was like sweet hay and not particularly interesting.

Now there is a heavy plum topping note like Royal Yacht that wasn't originally there because this shit ain't topped as far as I'm aware, and it's a very dark smoke. The bright hay and citrus is deep and heavy and blended with the spice of the perique. I haven't smoked anything at all in months so I'm especially sensitive to the base tobacco and acrid fumigant notes and they are mostly subtle and tend towards aromatic. The second half of the bowl is becoming more nuanced and full of stone fruit that was initially promised.

It's not as tangy as Escudo, but I wanted something darker than Escudo that had a little more going on. I think it delivers that, but will be trying the danish navy rolls with the black cavendish centers next because I like how easy they are to fold and smoke. Also, age does wonders for a VaPer blend. It's not flashy and distinct like peterson tins but you can tell it's a very real and pleasant smoke that's clean and balanced.

I don't seem to have a buzz so much as a pervasive sense of oneness with the cosmos that makes me want to read Moby Dick and think about buying more waxed cotton outerwear. For anyone wondering if paying out the ass for victorian plumbing is worth it, it's worth it. Usually I smoke churchwardens and run them nuclear hot so they power a turbine instead of condense in the stem. Here I just blow the stem out and wipe it off and there's no gurgling.
>>
File: PCLVG-S-PF-1006_view2.png (145 KB, 800x800)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
I just drunk ordered a little french clencher with my spring buy because it came with a pouch of shitty aromatic blend that will probably taste like shit. Can't wait.
>>
>>2702426
my spring buy. It's really nice knowing exactly what you want and having any chance you take be mostly in the same territory.
>>
>>2701181
My cousin is an incurable week and bought himself a Japanese kiseru despite not knowing much about pipe smoking. The Jap stuff is almost impossible to find, so I'm trying to find a blend that is finely shredded enough to smoke in it. I though about trying to shave off tiny slivers of one of my plugs, but that's a last resort. I've heard recommendations for Manil's Le Petite Robin because of its very fine cut but I'm wondering if anyone has any other possibilities.
>>
>>2702443
Incurable weeb*
>>
>>2702443
>I though about trying to shave off tiny slivers of one of my plugs, but that's a last resort.
Nah, that's a good first resort. I recommend ordering a full sized douk-douk off amazon and sharpening it on a brick or whatever until you can shave with it. That will get you the very fine shred that you're looking for. Any good plug would probably be better and even stronger than the burley heavy ditch weed they smoke. Hooting a good virginia without it getting hot isn't a bad smoke, I've rolled a few blends into very thin cigarettes and it tastes great if you hit it gently.
>>
>>2702446
Thanks, I will probably do that then. That also gets at the other question I had, which is what kinds leaf are/were most common over there
>>
>>2701936
are hookahs the only tobacco waterpipe
>>
>>2702443
>My cousin
C’mon, anon. We know it’s you.
>>
>>2702443
>>2702505
this vid might help give you some ideas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hn1OAncqIo
>>
>>2702443
I've heard actual Nips use RYO tobacco as a substitute on occasion. Not sure how that'd turn out as I haven't tried it myself. In any case kizami tobacco varies in terms of cut, it's not all hair-thin stuff.
t. kiseru owner
>>
File: shag.jpg (284 KB, 1920x1080)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
>>2702589
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDf_6ShgXNQ
>>
>>2702517
No, I'm just a different flavor of autist, with better hygiene and money to spend on my autistic hobbies.

>>2702589
I think I have a pouch of AS Black RYO I might give him to try. I gave him about a bowl's worth of six different blends from different categories (aros, balkans, vapers, burleys) and a corncob to get him started.
>>
>>2700848
Current impressions (based on maybe 2-3 bowls per blend with one exception)
>Shandygaff
Really odd one. Almost salty with some kind of topping that I can't place. I don't hate it but I probably did well to only buy an ounce. For the price it's worth a shot. Also, I didn't think weigh it out but it looks like SmokingPipes gave me twice as much of this as the other supposedly 1oz bags. Maybe they're trying to get rid of it
>Crooner
Got this just because the deertongue was weird and interesting. I actually really like it and could see this being a nice occasional smoke. The deertongue is quite mild and changes note through the bowl (vanilla, anise, mint). A pleasant surprise.
>Snug Harbor
Pleasant, mild English/aro. To me the casing was very subtle. Half the time I didn't taste it at all. Perhaps my brain associates "snug" with "comfy". A good lazy day smoke, or while doing something else. Not super complex but pleasant.
>Espresso
I rarely go for straight aros, so I didn't expect much. I got it for just under $3/oz on sale and I feel that's about what it's worth. It was okay. Lightly coffee-flavored hot air like a lot of aromatics. I didn't hate it.
>Epiphany
Came out of the gate kind of harsh but mellowed soon after. Usually it's burleys that have that sort of effect for me but not sure. Would've liked a bit more latakia in the mix. Otherwise pretty well balanced, but nothing to write home about.
>Billy Budd
I already really like this but I'll review anyway. Full-flavored but without much of the harshness I usually get from burleys. Actually the burleys are somewhat in the background considering how it's advertised. The cigar leaf is great but sparing, I usually wish there wer more. I might incorporate some of my cigar cut ends to see if it works. Nic gave me feel a little bit of something.
Haven't mentioned a nic hit in most of these because there wasn't much to speak of. Now to plan my next buy.
Always open to suggestions, the weirder the better tbqh.
>>
File: 003-016-0124.jpg (21 KB, 400x281)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
I went to the local across town today and picked up pic related. The guy that doesn't even work there and just smokes in the leather armchairs with all the other dudes who rang me up got to talking some shit and it reminded me of this old chestnut.

Why do cigar smokers always go for an aromatic first? Considering that they really fucking hate aromatic cigars. What would anons hand off to a more experienced smoker to show him what's unique about pipes?

I'd go with a VaPer or straight Virginia bend. That or something bold and weird like anything with a dark Kentucky in it. Although this VaBur with deertongue and hint of perique is like an uplifted, craft beer version of a grandpa blend in a pouch. Very mild and subtle but the tin and what I assume is the room note is heavy on vanilla and honey. It has some sweetness and spice you can actually taste and I don't know what's topping and what's deertongue. This is very nice, would rec if you're looking for an "aromatic" that actually tastes like what it smells like.

Damn this gentleman caller is good. I just relit and got that initial burst of whatever the sweet note a lot of other things try to fake is.

>>2702690
>Got this just because the deertongue was weird and interesting. I actually really like it and could see this being a nice occasional smoke. The deertongue is quite mild and changes note through the bowl (vanilla, anise, mint). A pleasant surprise.
That describes it perfectly. It's like eileen's dream, but without that harsh aromatic burn.
>>
>>2702095
>Kadath
That shit sat me on my ass for a few hours. Someone else puked trying to smoke it. We saw the Dreamlands together. Good shit.
>>
>>2702696
I found I enjoyed this for a while, but it started to wear on me over time. An occasional smoke would be nice, definitely not more than once a month for me.
>>
>>2702715
That's why I keep going back to slightly bland and unpleasant shit. It doesn't wear on you. I could do it once a week as a palate cleanser but the things I find myself contemplating don't present so pleasant. They present as interesting or horrible.
>>
>>2701176
how do pipes compare to cigars?
>>
>>2702516
no in some SE asian country they smoke bong loads after meals. I think it might be thailand or laos or something
>>
>>2702696
Cool, it sounds like something I might like. I am up to like 6lbs of tobacco cellared but I can't stop buying random blends to try. It scratches that autistic collector itch, so the more the better
>>
>>2702766
>DUDE BRO I got these cohibas for $65 each, we're gonna go dip em in bourbon and drink bourbon and wax our beards out on the top deck over the roller derby. You know my old lady's a derby girl? Look how much money I make.
vs.
>I just remembered I bought 8 boxes of Frog Morton back in the 90s and forgot about it. Did you see my new peterson spigot? You can blow the condensation out while you're smoking. I'm gonna go read the hobbit again and take a nap, matlock is coming on.

>>2702793
I woke up to it lingering in my coat across the room. It has a very strong vanilla/mint herbal note and now I'm certain it's a good match for an old drug store blend, only with deer tongue and perique instead of cheap artificial flavors.
>>
What's the best way into a System pipe? I did my research at one point and got a straight pipe with an army mount instead, which also solves half the problems.
>>
>>2702873
I prefer cigars over pipes but it pains me that that's how most cigar smokers are these days.
>>
>>2701662
I will give that a try. I went on a roadtrip and passed by a B&M and they had Give Me Liberty by Seattle Pipe Club in bulk. It smelled pretty good so I picked up a half ounce to try. Loaded my bowl and enjoyed it for an hour long stretch on I5, I can say I get Virginias now. Might revisit Capstan, but I will definitely try Opening Night and other Virgina blends now.
>>
>>2703118
It keeps the tobacconists open, but the pre-packaged r*ddit masculinity for middle managers is lame, that's for sure. I don't know, I'm really careful about consumptive hobbies and pastimes. I know the crowd through other endeavors and they can really taste the price tag on things.

>>2703249
I like the combination with perique but not too much perique, so Golden Slices and Escudo Navy Rolls are easy choices whenever I load up a cart or hit up a random store. It's hard to make recommendations on straight Virginias as everyone smoking them is also aging them and even 6 months on a tin makes a huge difference from a fresh can.
>>
>>2702965
What do you mean best way into? Look on the website and browse the different models until you find one you like.

I have the Oom Paul version, System Standard #304, and I love it though it looks gay as fuck. Sitter pipes are very practical and it smokes like a dream.
>>
>>2703356
Choice paralysis. Surely some of these options have to be sub par. I favor straight pipes where anything over an ounce is heavy, but don't know how that translates to a bent pipe.
>>
>>2703446
Yeah but they only have a few basic shapes. There seem to be a lot of options because they offer each shape in a ton of different finishes--smooth, ebony, sandblasted, rusticated etc. and in different colors. Also, each shape usually comes with one variant that accepts pipe filters and one that does not. So choose your finish first (because that's what comes first on the website), then choose your shape, then choose filters or no filters, and sometimes the small or large version of that shape (for example I have the smaller Oom Paul which is the #304, they offer a larger Oom Paul which is the #306) and you will be settled on just one choice.

I don't think any of them will really be "sub par". A System pipe will smoke like a System pipe, more or less the same smoking experience, all those choices are just personal preferences for ergonomics and aesthetics.
>>
>>2703450
>system 31
>still exists
>unobtanium unless I order from bongland
>only website that has it, ON SALE, doesn't ship to the US
REEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: System1.jpg (66 KB, 656x496)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>2703488
I I guess I'll do some blood sacrifice to the mayan gods and hope for a reissue. The stinger on that thing is like 2 inches long. Now I have to find a spigot or something to ensure a straight, dry smoke. I don't know if I can get bent, I may enjoy it too much.
>>
>>2703488
>straight System
Man, as soon as I tell you none of the Systems will be sub par, you pick the odd one out to try to prove me wrong. I have no idea how well that one smokes, all Systems I'm used to are full bent or at least 3/4 so the condensation chamber can be vertical. I am skeptical of how well the System design would actually work with the condensation chamber horizontal like that. I know full bent pipes aren't your thing, they're not my thing either, but if you want the authentic System experience you should get a bent pipe. They're made that way for a reason.
>>
>>2703499
I wanna know, I'll never be able to but I want to know. If you smoke a spigot and frequently take advantage of that spigot, even that little chamber in the stem acts as a condenser and requires regular draining. It makes sense and seems like it would work and be easy as shit to clean. I smoke out in cold, wet, damp, hot and humid weather and I need something. But damn a svelte, froggy billiard I can clench and relight without having to look away from what I'm reading or driving gets my rocks off like nothing else. If I had cash to burn, a D15 churchwarden is one of my favorite smokes because you can just nuke it to the point you see the briar glow in the night while you're reading the hobbit by briarlight and then there is no gurgling, only a living steam turbine of man and the kind of pipe weed you stick in a tiny bowl with a long stem. Mostly kentucky dark blends.

It really doesn't help that I have a spigot that weighs a little over an ounce because I jumped on that shit when I saw the weight compared to the rest of the options when I got it. I only want the impossible now. But much like fender offering offsets and 50s caddie car colors, we're going to have to create the illusion that women smoke a lot of pipes so they'll actually make what everyone has been bitching about for 30 years. I know why men move mountains and what tamed Gilgamesh, Eshk gahz gal gahar ge-hez'zir. I have read Enki's blueprints for ovens and the lutes and found his directions for the smoking pipes in ancient records in the new world. Bottom carb/condensation valve is his design.

So, really I'm just killing time and looking for something to add to an order because pic related is getting a reissue at 6pm est and I don't paying shipping without a full cart.
>>
File: PXL_20240227_183715641.jpg (3.16 MB, 4080x3072)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
>>2703516
Pipes that make me look like lee van cleef if I have a more Eastwood, or sam hyde looking visage. Usually I get mistaken for the less jewy jew on the bing bong bazzoper show the cattle watch.
>>
>>2703516
>>2703521
Ok anon I don't know what you've been smoking out of your pipe today but I don't think it's just tobacco
>>
File: 1704749929468938.jpg (133 KB, 852x1439)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>2703525
It's evan williams bottled in bond and only half a metric pint so far. I did read pic related a few days ago whilst scrawling the archives and considered cracking the aged Kadath. This is the alternative unless you want a literal, play by play, blood ritual to actual mayan gods as soon as I figure our their weird jaguar picture language a trip on /x/ uploaded all the books for learning.

Otherwise I'm opening a tin of Gaslight and talking about that while I smoke it.
>>
>>2703526
>drunken /x/ poster
Yeah, that figures. Carry on anon and best of luck with the blood rituals

But still you should get the full bent System
>>
File: PXL_20240227_190953944.jpg (2.16 MB, 3072x4080)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>2703529
I may.

Here's the Gaslight. Lemme go back for my plug knife.
>>
File: PXL_20240227_191312524.jpg (3.76 MB, 3072x4080)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB JPG
>>2703531
It smells like fucking creosote and a jack the ripper documentary/frogwares Sherlock Holmes walking sim.
>>
>>2703532
GL Pease Gaslight review

I can only assume 3 years before the mast has done this shit right because it's still soaking wet out the can and you have to cut it yourself. Not my least graceful cuts but not the cherished ribbon. Let's call it a muggy flake. Wet as fuck on a rainy day in a not fresh pipe, I'm still getting it lit.

It's an extremely mild and pleasant english blend, probably due to the 3 years in my desk drawer. Any unpleasant character is either having trouble getting lit or was aged out. English blends don't age well, unless they're bad. I never smoked this fresh. There's like, maybe some oriental most likely, and the latakia is pleasant and nice. C&D ain't well balanced or matured in the factory so I'm assuming this is all can age. If there is nicotine, I can't find it.

Y'know, this is probably a strong and excellent english blend, bordering on balkan if I know what I'm talking about at all, and I'm reminded of why all the deadbeard oldfags and regular oldfags talk shit about the "new" formulas. You let anything sit around as long as it did before JIT logistics and take the slower shipping lanes into account and you have 6 month old product new on the shelf. Some of the coveted shit was already 3 years old before it sold (frog morton &c). Even your dunhill Va blends had age before someone cracked the can. Quite a bit, the scuttlebutt from old heads loading it wherever was it sat around for months because the market cooled.

Is this a strong english blend? Heavy on latakia and orientals? Eh. It's held up compared to some fresh ones I've done. Is it extremely pleasant? Oh fuck yeah. The sweet spot was probably last year but the curve into scylla and charybdis is gentle. Not like the half tin of something I opened this morning and threw out because it smelt off.

I guess for my next review I'll get some Irish X brown and read and record Ulysses in the woods. That's a schizo thing to do, right?
>>
>>2703529
You talked sanity into me. Please rate my selection before the clock turns sour. You or any anon. I'm open to all suggestions.
>>
Me, once again, not caring what god or men made of clay think about anything at all,
>>
>>2703555
Get one with a long stem
>>
Do you guys have any recs on where to get a replacement stem? Most of the tobacco shops around me are almost purely vape/weed centered and when I try to buy on amazon they tell me they cant ship to me. I've looked on 4noggin and some other sites but they only have Miss. Meerschaum stems and I'm looking for 9mm.
>>
>>2703698
Try Aliexpress? I needed a replacement stem for an old pipe and found one there years ago.
>>
hi anons, do any of you remember what book told about smoking culture in different countries? i recall it said that scandinavians used to chew the tobacco, dry and smoke it, then sniff the ashes.
>>
Looking to move up to my first big boy pipe. Been rocking corn cobs and the pipe that came in the Whitlucks pipe roll everyone on YT was shilling last summer. I see everyone talking about system pipes, what is the benefit to that over say a Pokerchip shaped Savinelli or just a non system Peterson? Would Dr Grabows or other $40 briars.
>>
>>2704042
>Would Dr Grabows or other $40 briars
I'm a retard and didn't finish my thought.
Would Dr Grabows or other $40 briars be worth it or would it be worth the extra money for a nicer pipe?
>>
>>2704042
>>2704043
Dr. Grabows are fine pipes. A more expensive briar is better than an entry level briar, but not by a lot. A Dr. G. smokes miles better than a corncob or cheap hardwood pipe. If you're on the fence about the Peterson or Savinelli, get the Dr. G and see how you like it.

And a System pipe is special because of the P-lip and condensation chamber which allow it to smoke cool and dry.
>>
>>2704043
Rossi pipes are acceptable for only $20 more
>>
>>2702965
Just get a system you like the look of and smoke it.
>>
Just got a crappy unmarked pipe from my local tobacco shop and will try smoking it for the first time on a camping trip tomorrow. I'm confused when people say "don't inhale" or "just sip the smoke", when I try to do it with the empty pipe I end up needing to inhale to get any air flow. Am I just retarded and it'll make sense once I actually pack it?
>>
>>2704289
You want to pull the smoke into your mouth without drawing it into your lungs. Once you get the hang of that, you can try to retrohale, which pushes the smoke from the mouth up through the nose, again without inhaling into the lungs. Might take some practice and a full accidental coughing fits to figure it out.
>>
>>2704302
A few*
>>
>>2704289
Do you inhale liquid into your lungs when you sip through a straw? Pretty weird but I won't judge.
>>
New corn cob owner, the draw is so easy and effortless and it makes it easier to accidentally inhale and using the filter that came with it takes away from the flavor. I really like the cob. Wish the stem was a bit thicker, kinda hard to clench.
>>
>>2704289
You can’t really draw with an empty pipe. Once it’s packed it will have the proper amount of resistance (provided you packed it right) in order to draw smoke just by sipping and not inhaling. It should feel just like sipping a drink with a straw if you packed it right.
>>
>>2704042
>>2704043
Found a Meerschaum pipe at my local baccy shop today for a great price, nothing flashy just a regular bulldog style. Picked it up, and opened up a can of Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrell Aged I've been hanging onto for a special occasion and smoked a bowl. Best damn tobacco experience I've had. Upgrading from a cob to a meerschaum and starting out with that Plum Pudding was great. Looking forward to some Boswell's Countryside in the morning if the weather permits.
>>
Virginia blends and derivatives are the peak of tobacco smoking along with the smaller pipes that highlight their subtil qualities and I'm tired of pretending they aren't.

Also, lazily shoving two or three navy rolls into a pipe and having it smoke perfectly every time is better than anything else, I don't know how people fuck up being lazy. The Stokkebye rolls with the cavendish core may be better than Escudo and Dunhill, time will tell. They may not be as transformative long term but aren't as zesty or sweet while having more body and complexity to the smoke than a tin that isn't older than most of /out/. Who cares, they're almost half the price and those haphazard lumps of cavendish lazily smashed into a pipe have a pleasant and ever present effect that is noticed immediately more than sensed through some kind of tzimtzum kabbalistic yoga. The only downside is that it turns into a nice oatmeal rather than stewed plums in the bottom of the bowl.
>>
Got a new batch of blends to try (over a pound this time because I lack self control after a bonus at work). I'll add some of my probably uninsightful thoughts about them as I sample each in the coming couple of weeks.
>C&D Sansepolcro (2024 re-release) 2oz
>C&D Billy Budd Blonde 4oz
>C&D Haunted Bookshop Cake 2oz
>GL Pease Gaslight 2oz
>Tabac Manil Le Petit Robin 3.5oz
>Gawith Skiff Mixture 1.75oz
>Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired Ready-rubbed 1oz
>>
>>2704289
It will make more sense once you actually pack it. But to get a simulation of how the draw feels, clamp your fingers over the bowl so you only let a little air through, and then try sucking air through it into your mouth with your cheek and throat muscles, the way you do when you're drinking through a straw, without "opening" your lungs. That's what you do with the smoke. You hold it there and then puff the air out through your mouth and/or nose.
>>
Today, I sat in the warm March sun and smoked a pipe.
>>
>>2705386
Very good anon. Last night I sat in my car in the PNW March rain and smoked a pipe.
>>
how do i avoid falling into this trap?
>>
>>2705395
looks like the trick is to not be overweight and/or a tool
>>
>>2705395
You have to achieve personal success first, then do cringey shit like wearing cloaks and smoking pipes. If you do it the other way around it doesn't work.
>>
File: 1675027863612362.png (1.13 MB, 640x640)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
>>2703516
>I have read Enki's blueprints for ovens and the lutes and found his directions for the smoking pipes in ancient records in the new world. Bottom carb/condensation valve is his design.

gonna need a source for this one
>>
>>2702119
Most people don't give a shit, also most pipe tobacco smells very pleasant. I've had one soccer mom complain to me for firing up on a chairlift and she was just a bitch.
>>
File: 20240223_101439_HDR.jpg (2.52 MB, 3264x2448)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
anyone else ever give rolling cigarillos a try. wasnt to hard getting them to smoke but consistency is a long way off
>>
>>2705851
Where are you sourcing tobacco? How long are you letting them sit? You want to dry box them for a while.
>>
>>2706160
>Where are you sourcing tobacco?
leafonly.com
>How long are you letting them sit?
about a week
>>
>>2705395
>dress like typical American slob
>be fat
>unkempt
>ridiculous hat
>stupid looking glasses
>costume facial hair
>tacky tattoos
wHy dOeSn'T mY PiPe LoOk mOrE DiStiNgUiShEd LiKe iN tHe oLd dAyS?
>>
>>2702431
I really enjoyed stokkebye bullseye myself. Got some davidoff medallion recently which has been kickass too. Definitely my favorite cut.
>>
>>2706300
>More angry Europeans
Chill bro.
>>
>>2705125
I've had a bowl or three of all of them, but I'll start with Skiff Mixture because I don't have a whole lot to say about it (and I'm smoking it as I type): a quality mild-medium Balkan. Came a bit too moist and had to dry it out and even then had a few relights. Smoked in a 10" clay. A surprisingly cool smoke as I could hold the bowl with my bare finger without getting too hot. I saw some people claim they could taste a casing of some sort. Maybe I'll need a few more bowls to tease it out, but I'm not really getting anything unusual this far. I quite like it.
>>
Finally tried Elizabethan last night, first VaPer. Not bad. Going to need some more time with it but it seems like a nice alternative to the English blends I've been digging. Today I got an order of Opening Night as recommended by an anon here as well as Maltese Falcon which I've heard compared to Plum Pudding. Weather is starting to warm up, looking forward to packing some of these out on a hike.
>>
>>2704433
smoked a bunch more and I'm not a big fan. Don't like how loose the draw feels no matter how well I pack it and the stem is very thin.
>>2705851
Those look great. I want to try but that I'm fucked when it comes to importing from that site, cost's astronomical
>>
File: 20240308_091233.jpg (1.45 MB, 2448x3264)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>2706946
if you have the space growing your own is quite doable. even some pots on a balcony would work
>>
>>2706415
It really is a miraculous cut. I just fold and stuff and it smokes about as well as anything else. Let them dry for an hour if they're tin damp, but otherwise it smokes fine regardless. I think it's because I had the worst time with shag and aromatics in a cob and rolls in a briar was my first great smoke that I could repeat.

I'll try some Davidoff, any Vaper is fine with me.
>>
>>2704433
>>2706946
Yeah, I have that problem with corncobs too for the first half of the smoke. After some practice I can get a really good smoking experience out of a corncob--after I've already smoked half the bowl. I don't know why that is but I think it's something to do with that weird spout shape where the stem sticks into the bowl
>>
File: 6770615555_dcf5bd1749_b.jpg (312 KB, 1024x683)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
does anyone know if you can chew air-cured tobacco?
when i try looking it up, i hear that chewing tobacco is fire-cured, and that air-cured is used for cigars & burleys, yet why is that?
does air-cured tobacco have some kind of taste or problem that makes it bad to chew?
i'm gonna grow some tobacco for the first time this year, and i'd like to air-cure it, and make a mix for either smoking in a pipe or chewing on the go
>>
>>2706971
Was doing some reading might grow in the summer. Dehydrating them and letting them age seems a bit of effort.
>>2707097
>I don't know why that is but I think it's something to do with that weird spout shape where the stem sticks into the bowl
My guess too. I've had good experience with it but for the most part can't get a good feel for it and I'm constantly inhaling by accident
>>
>>2706806
it's harsh as fuck. I accidentally inhaled it and it nearly blew my lungs up.

is it for the 40+ year pipe smoker or what?
>>
>>2707333
Checked
NTA but I think it comes down to mouth chemistry. I've watched videos on Jewtube where one guy smokes Elizabethan every day of the week like it's nothing and another guy says it made him nic sic for several hours. Some blends don't agree with some people for whatever reason. I always have a weird reaction to certain burleys that irritate my mouth/nose/throat despite enjoying the flavors.
>>
>>2707333
>>2707374
I was worried about the nic hit because I saw the video of the wedding photographer guy that tried it and got insanely sick from it. Definitely had a bit more of a nic hit for me but it was manageable. Did accidentally inhale a small bit and it just reminded me of my cig days. I've only been casually pipe smoking for about 2 years.
>>
>>2707397
While there are nic heavy burley blends, I believe that most of your english blends and common drugstore formulas from Captain Black to Lane are extremely low in nic compared to VaPer blends. I also think occasional smokers can't handle any nic, your average nic hound can tank some truly heavy shit and nap it off. A good VaPer can ruin someone's day if they're not used to it, but I've rolled some into cigarettes and it's no worse than breaking the filter off an american spirit.
>>
>>2707299
>I'm constantly inhaling by accident
I have an issue retrohaling certain blends, I have to blow out my nose, then my mouth, then finally my nose again to keep from inhaling a small amount. Some blends just have an easier time clinging to your sinuses.
>>
>>2707437
What is it about English blends that have so little nicotine? I know burly has more nic than most, but do virginias as well?
>>
>>2705125
>GL Pease Gaslight
Smoked in the 10" Old German Clay Tavern Belge (bought as sort of a novelty but quickly becoming one of my favorites). Comes in a nice plug but wasn't too hard to cut into flakes and rub out. Moisture is pretty much perfect from the tin, rubbed out well apart from a fair amount of dust.
I underpacked the bowl slightly because I've found plugs and cakes tend to rear up more at the match. Took the light well though and had one light when I got distracted.
I gotta say this is one of my favorite Englishes in some time. There's a very unusual but really nice note that I've had a hard time putting my finger on. I've seen people describe it like creosote or asphalt. I don't quite get that, but it's something in that direction. It reminds me of Spark Plug, though maybe that was a bit rougher around the edges. I think this might be one of those few blends I'll definitely buy more to put away for the future. Big fan. Honestly, I can't think of a GL Pease blend that I haven't really liked. But this was really nice. Big fan
>>
>>2707521
I love the old german tavern pipes. I've broken two of them and really wish I hadn't, I need a better place to store them. Balkan blends seemed to taste better out of it.
>>
File: 1710183187996.jpg (818 KB, 2690x2055)
818 KB
818 KB JPG
>>2707505
Probably something to do with the strains and processing. I don't believe spice tobaccos and latakia have much nicotine. Perique is loaded with it. The things that put me on my ass are either after a second bowl while drinking or heavy on perique and Kentucky. I think Virginias are in the middle but a straight blend or VaPer is more than most are used to.

In other news, I really like this ropp but I'm going to chew through the horn. Good balance and doesn't smoke too long, I wanted a bulldog for a long time but the usual shapes kept me from living the dream.
>>
all you people are destroying your pineal gland (third eye) with nicotine. make you a brainless zombie for the biden administration
>>
>>2708020
as a briton, I am already enslaved, as all my fellow brits are, to the whims of the serving US president

at least smoking a pipe provides some relaxation
>>
>>2708020
Can you give me a hand with another gland?
>>
>>2707203
can i please get someone to help me on this?
>>
>>2708024
Look on the bright side my distant british brethren from across the pond, us Americans are enslaved to his whims too. More accurately to whomever is pulling the puppet strings. We just haven't lost quite everything...yet.

But I agree a nice bowl of pipe tobacco does offer a good bit of reflection and relaxation.
>>
>>2707203
>>2708512
should be fine. fire cure will taste better but you are going to be soaking in molasses and flavorings if you are making chew so it doesn't matter that much.
>>
>>2701176
i like captain black royal
what other blends would be good?
i was thinking of buying black cavendish in bulk but am interested in english and aromatic blends too
>>
>>2707901
what length? im liking the really long ones but they're not as cheap
>>
>>2709171
>7 seas regular
If you want something close.
>Sutliff hot chocolate
You really need a dedicated pipe to get the most out of this flavor.
>Eileen's Dream
Is also a really good aro if smoked out of a pipe ghosted by captain black. You'll get a s'mores flavor that turns to white chocolate.
>>
>>2709178
Meant to say 7 seas royal.
>>
File: 003-581-0002.4513.jpg (84 KB, 571x600)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
i miss it so much bros
>>
>>2709182
was it better than the currently available blue?
>>
How long will this sort of tin last once opened? Do I need to transfer it to an airtight jar straight away?
>>
File: Pb-PTE.png (748 KB, 800x800)
748 KB
748 KB PNG
>>2709248
i think the same thing happened like with Peterson Irish Flake
>>
I smoke inside sometimes and I have an exhaust fan I sit next to. Now whenever I puff, the smoke blows back in my face and lingers. What's going on? Nothings changed the airflow should be the same. I'm going insane.
>>
>>2709274
When the moisture content is perfect, that's a good time to jar it. If you plan to smoke through the tin in the next 2-3 weeks I wouldn't worry about it. But I tend to jar most open tins within a few days regardless of moisture just because I rotate through a lot of blends simultaneously. YMMV
>>
>>2701176
Ever had a different pipe give a blend an entirely different character? I just got a nice Meerschaum with a large bowl and smoked some of my <1oz sample of C&D's Epiphany. I thought it was nice enough in my briar but was largely unimpressed . In the Meerschaum it is actually really pleasant. Curious to see how it effects other (to me) middle-of-the-road blends I've tried previously to see how it affects the taste.
>>
File: s-l1200 (1).png (2.45 MB, 900x1200)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB PNG
>>2709378
Affects* I'm retarded
Anyway here's my new Royal Meerschaum lattice. It's a pretty good size with a wide, deep bowl. It's extremely light. I put off getting a meer just because of how much they cost, how fragile they can be and the many ways you can ruin one. So far I'm really digging it and can't wait to put in the hours to start coloring it. If not an everyday pipe then close to it.
>>
>>2709378
how would a corn cob compare to meerschaum? i got resin pipe because i thought it would be better than a cheap corn cob, however it gurgles, and i am now considering that the corn cob might be a dryer smoke. do corn cobs impart a significant flavor to the baccy? how cool and dry are they compared to a briar or meerschaum?
>>
>>2709710
I find they're slightly cooler than briars and impart a bit of a kettle corn flavor, which really improves some tobaccos.
>>
Anyone ever tried a Chacom? I was looking for a reading pipe but I hear they're as wet as your mother so I'm going for something slightly shorter and found pic related.
This one's 18cm long as opposed to the churchwarden's ~25
>>
File: F1DyJjCWYAA1SNQ.jpg (286 KB, 1024x1024)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
Any good old boy style lighters cheaper than the IM Corona ones?
>>
>>2710420
You can find them pretty cheap in non woman owned antique stores.
>>
>>2710142
I have a peterson churchwarden and have no idea what you talking about it being wet.
>>
>>2710701
Must be a Reddit related skill issue then.
>>
>>2710142
Pipes gurgle for two reasons. One is you are roleplaying a steam train, the other is a machine made shit stem with 90° edge that breaks the airflow and causes the water vapor to condense.
Third unofficial opinion is the bowl lacks a good cake to take care of the more wet tobaccos.
>>
>>2702714
I smoke both ya retard.

I have a small glass pipe I pack with a cotton filter (try it sometime you'll be amazed how much fucking shit goes straight to your lungs.) I smoke after work. Then I smoke my tobacco pipe.

It's really pleasant.
>>
>>2709274
Like >>2709377 said if you smoke through it quick enough don't worry about it. You should set some aside anyway for aging.
>>
Stupid question, is it viable to roll pipe tobacco into cigarettes?
>>
>>2711062
Tried it before, it's too moist for RYO cigs. Might be fine if you let it dry out for a long period.
>>
>>2711062
You need to cut it finer and leave it to dry out a bit. It has lot less nicotine than cigarette tobacoo though.
>>
I tried an aromatic for the first time just now.

I have mixed feelings, on the one hand, I was immediately struck by how pleasant it was (Sweet Killarney). I couldn't believe smoking could smell so sweet and non-cigarette like. However, I also felt like I wasn't respecting the tobacco enough because it didn't have the usually slight harshness that un-flavoured tobacco has. So, I was puffing away far more vigorously than I normally would, until I became 'spaced out' and had to stop for a minute. I was staring at a tree in complete stillness and relaxation, but on the 'edge' of panicking for 10-15 seconds. - clearly a nicotine hit.

Also, it feels like a 'false' flavour to me. I don't feel like I'm actually tasting the tobacco, just the artificial topping that is applied at the end of the production process. Like the difference between drinking rum neat or with loads of Coca Cola added.

It was a bit like smoking one of those disposable vapes.

In all, I'm torn. I think I'll continue to smoke English mixtures like Mixture 965 from day-to-day, but I might crack open the aromatics if I smoke in the presence of other people.

To my surprise, it looks like aromatic blends are actually far more popular than unflavoured English blends. I assume there is a stereotype that the more casual / new pipe smokers smoke aromatics, whereas the hardcore obsessed types would smoke the un-pasteurised Englishes.
>>
>>2712088
I'm not huge on aromatics but I do smoke them from time to time. Often, I'll mix them at about 1:2 aro to english or burley (balkan sobrani match or old joe krantz), which gives me more of the tobacco flavour with a more mellow aromatic taste. It's also more pleasing to friends if we're smoking together. Still, the majority of what I smoke remain english blends.
>>
>>2712088 (checked)
I come from cigars and I'm used to a "harsher" tobacco flavor so when I first bought my pipe my brain just went for aromatic just because. But actually the blend I got which is a local one, was really good and I'd honestly buy it again. I got a taste for real pipe tobacco and prefer it to cigars. The only thing I miss of cigars were just the convenience of it. I love cigarillos I think they're much more flavorful and more enjoyable than a full fledged cigar. Sometimes when I smoke my pipe, wish I was having a cigarillo or smaller sized cigar, and when I'm smoking the cigar, I wish I was smoking my pipe hehe. I'm brain damaged that way
>>
Dont try to light a pipe with plasma, it sets the pipe on fire too
>>
Which do people prefer for out?
Cob or briar? I have been using my cob for years but want to upgrade to a briar. Which is better for outside use?
>>
>>2713303
cobs if you don't want to worry about bashing them about. Briars are better but more expensive.
>>
>>2713041
>Sometimes when I smoke my pipe, wish I was having a cigarillo or smaller sized cigar, and when I'm smoking the cigar, I wish I was smoking my pipe hehe.
Same lol. I started smoking cigars about 7 years ago, and pipes about 2 years ago, so I still crave cigars and have one once every week or two. But whenever I do have a cigar, I’m already ready to start smoking a pipe again. I love the flavor of both though. And now that it’s starting to warm up, my tastes will probably switch to cigars. It’s just hard to find the time to sit down and smoke for over an hour straight.
>>
>>2713303
For outside, a cob for sure. I have some relatively cheap briars that I take /out/ too, but you don’t have to stress about harming your pipe if you have a $10 cob. But if you want the best of both worlds, try finding a cheap briar, like $40-$60, that will smoke better than a cob without the stress of wondering if you’re gonna harm your $100+ briar.
>>
I walked to the convenience store smoking a corncob pipe. One person I walked past asked if I was smoking weed and another asked if I was smoking a pipe. I don't think I'll do that anymore.
>>
>>2713538
>smoke for over an hour straight.
The bowl police forcing you to fill up the bowl to the max with a gun at your head?
>>
>>2713543
i always felt like pipe smoking was a stationary activity
>>
Anybody else try C&D Virginia Gentleman? Goddamn it’s good. Mainly Virginia, with a bit of burley and orientals. I was hesitant because I’m not big on burley, but holy hell. It’s mostly Virginia flavor, with burley really only providing body, but the orientals add a bit of butteriness that enhances the Virginia. It’s so damn good lads. And cheap. Only $25 for 8 ounces. Probably gonna buy a couple pounds to cellar.
>>
>>2713770
It depends. I enjoy lunting when I’m /out/.
>>
it's shit living in a flat in England. I can't smoke in here, and I don't have a garden, so I have to go outside in the wind.
>>
I was talking to a friend while smoking and he said Cavendish tobacco was supposed to be real good. What's a good kind? I'm looking on Pipes and Cigars and there seems to be a lot of choices
>>
>>2714063
Captain Black is a cavendish tobacco. Try that.
>>
>>2714027
I also live in a windy area, SoCal near the coast. Would any anons recommend using a windcap?
>>
>>2714063
The two most popular blends with black cavendish as a component are Lane 1Q and Captain Black. If you want just black cavendish and no other types of tobaccos in the blend, Lane BCA is just black cavendish. Keep in mind that all of these I just mentioned are aromatics. There are some non-aromatics with black cavendish, but it’s mostly found in aros.
>>
>>2714147
>>2714160
What kind of captain black do you recommend? I've never tried an aromatic
>>
>>2714453
dark or royal.
>>
hello /out/ I am smoking some apricot blend out of my corncob while sitting in a camp chair in my garage awaiting a big thunderstorm, enjoying the quiet of a Sunday evening

I hope everyone else is comfy as well
>>
>>2714453
I personally like the original the most, but get a small pouch of each iteration and see for yourself which one you like the best.
>>
>>2714571
I'm trying the dark right now and it leaves a sticky residue inside of my pipe, so I'm probably going to buy a cheap cob to smoke this stuff in. It is definitely weird compared to the other tobaccos I've tried, like it's s just got an undefinable something with my current knowledge that makes it hard to compare to other tobaccos. Mixing it around 50/50 with some ohm blue is pretty pleasant to me though, it balances the harshness of the ohm with the weirdness of the dark. I'm still pretty new to pipes though, so it could be that my palette is just unrefined or however you'd rather put it
>>
File: sport-norman-rockwell.jpg (81 KB, 516x600)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>2714148
Generally wind or even rain isn't an issue. Sailors used to flip their pipes upside down to keep smoking in poor weather. If it's too windy to smoke, it's probably too windy to not be seeking shelter.
>>
File: IMG_7431.jpg (1.07 MB, 1242x2091)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
Anybody ever try Ken Byron Ventures tobacco?
>frog
>Kek
Actually, he’s probably in this thread right now.
>>
>>2716147
I've never heard of it, but it's going to be the next blend I order. It'll probably taste like a shitpost
>>
File: 345347457.png (705 KB, 724x414)
705 KB
705 KB PNG
Hello brothers, i just got home from a smoke, it was Mac Baren scottish blend, i thought it was very nice. I have a question, my pipe is 2cm wide and 4cm deep, is this considered medium or large? how big a bowl would be considered small/medium/large? Thank you.
>>
Does anyone do snus? Im quitting cigs and this shit zyn is making me dizzy and nauseous
>>
>>2716336
That sounds fairly large to me but I don't know what the specific "cutoffs" would be if there are any.
>>
>>2716336
That sounds like a completely normal chamber size, neither small nor large. Converted to inches it’s .78 wide and 1.6 deep. The “normal” chamber is usually .75 wide and 1.5 deep. For me, large would be anything roughly .85 wide or more.
>>
>>2701289
Capstan is probably my favorite straight VA, Dunhill (now Peterson) Flake is maybe my second. A good "navy flake" I tried recently was GLP Windjammer.
>>
>>2701998
I inhale a bit, especially straight VA's and some straight burleys like Five Brothers. Not so much English or vaper blends.
>>
>>2716431
I think snus hits just as hard or even harder but it has a nice tobacco taste. I use it or zyn style pouches when I have to go into office where I cannot vape freely
>>
>>2714889
Captain black and other similar aromatics are best in a cob IMO. They really smell better than they taste, I find Cavendish on its own is a very thin and steamy smoke, not something I want very often.
>>
>>2701176
I've been pulling out my pipe and sparking it up matter of factly around people I know. They didn't realise I had pipes so there's always a nice moment where they are visibly seeing me smoke one, no fucks given, and they have to sort of do a reality check on what's happening right in front of their eyes. A-are you...smoking a pipe??
>>
>>2717115
I do this too, but i whip my prick out instead. A-anon, is that... your cock?
>>
File: IMG_7580.jpg (4.16 MB, 4032x3024)
4.16 MB
4.16 MB JPG
Got a nice walk in this morning along the Kings River in the Sierra foothills. It looks like The Shire this time of year. It’s only about 25 minutes from home, so it’s kinda my go-to spot to get away. I was lunting with a Rattray’s billiard stuffed with My Mixture 965. Pleasant day.
>>
File: IMG_7626.jpg (3.74 MB, 3947x2960)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
>>2717378
Another.
>>
File: IMG_7599.jpg (3.94 MB, 4032x3024)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB JPG
>>2717379
And another. It’s also the spot where I tried an English blend for the first time, so when I come here I always smoke an English.
>>
>>2717115
Everybody I know is at least 30 years older than me so they just reminisce about "the good ol' days"
>>
>>2701176
i pipe smoked for around 5 years or more
best tobacco i smoked was "Dunhill My Mixture 965", full on recommendation
I had a gandalf pipe that put me back 100+ dollars
had various small sherlocks
Breaking in your new pipe : smoke it 3 or so times and youll see it is very harsh, but after that break in period, youre golden.
Ive never smoked a meershaum but it looks like you boys would recommend it
>>
>>2717716
>Breaking in your new pipe : smoke it 3 or so times and youll see it is very harsh, but after that break in period, youre golden.
Most people will say to break in a new pipe without explaining WHY you should break in a new pipe. The harshness is exactly why. I’ve only had one pipe of my fifteen or so pipes that didn’t bite or taste like charred wood when it was brand new. It typically takes me around 20-30 bowls for a pipe to start tasting good and not smoke hot.
>>
>>2717716
>3 or so times.
try 50
>>
>>2717115
I only smoke it when /out/ around my friends and they seem less weirded out by it there. Something seems more normal about randomly pulling out a pipe when you're on a long hike or by a campfire than at other times, even to people that aren't weird /out/ists.
>>
Trying Carter Hall for the first time. Pretty good. Similar to Prince Albert but a bit sweeter. Gonna try smoking it in a cob since people say that’s the best way to smoke it.
>>
>>2705395
dont take pipe selfies
>>
>>2705395
Based on that image alone? Be older, not fat, and be /out/
>>
>>2710142
>I hear they're as wet
I have several Churchwardens, from 25 to 40cm, they all gurgle way less than regular pipes. The gurgle usually comes from smoking too fast. Try some filters, balsa ones are good for this since you can trim them to fit any pipe.
>>
>>2712088
>I also felt like I wasn't respecting the tobacco enough
No such thing, go for what you like. Personally I don't like aromatics, they give me some chemical taste, even in the smoke coming out of the bowl.
>>2714063
>>2714160
>The two most popular blends with black cavendish as a component are Lane 1Q and Captain Black.
IMO Captain Black is ok, Lane 1Q is actually pretty good. I would recommend you to try both to see what is more to your taste.
>>
>>2714148
Wind was never a problem to me, it may overheat your pipe or make the tobacco burn too fast since it keeps the embers very alive. In case of rain, well if there is enough rain to bother your pipe then maybe it's time to go home. Light rain will not be a problem.

Now about lids, I was thinking about getting one of these cheap ones from Aliexpress/Amazon, but since I discovered rain is not that big of a deal I never bought them.
>>
>>2716336
In my experience these are medium. I have a 2cmx6cm deep churchwarden, depending on the tobacco a full bowl can go for nearly two hours.
>>
File: IMG_8292.jpg (53 KB, 427x640)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Having smoked a pipe for 2 years now, I understand why so many great thinkers smoked one. It allows me to focus like nothing else I’ve tried. It’s completely meditative. The relaxing aroma/flavor acts as a sort of incense, while the cadence of your puffing acts like a breathing exercise would. These aspects put you into a calm, focused, meditative, trancelike state where you can really explore your mind, thoughts, and feelings. Screw a therapist, everybody should just try smoking a pipe!
>>
>>2717378
>>2717379
>>2717380
very nice place but what's with that vignetting? Makes me feel like I have glaucoma
>>
does Capstan blue have any topping? officially no, but some people say it has some light citrus topping, others say the citrus notes are just from the Virginia varieties they use, i don't have good enough nose to distinguish which one is it
>>
>>2721594
I don’t know for sure, but when I first open a tin of Capstan or even Orlik Golden Sliced, it smells just like orange juice. It eventually goes away, so my guess is it’s just the smell of the fresh Virginia.
>>
>>2721594
The definite answer to your question is maybe https://service.bmel.de/tabakerzeugnisse/index2.php?detail_id=100494&ssk=dd246d17bb&site_key=153&stichw_suche=Capstan&zeilenzahl_zaehler=9
But not much
>>
>>2701176
My uncle uses those to smoke crack/method off blunt tobacco idk about people smoking weed outta them but its been replacing bubbles for drugheads my grandpas were a mouth tobacco and snorted tabacco men so that is the only time I have seen wood Sherlock Holmes pipes used in my lifetime does it burn the tobacco better like tastewise or is this all just tradition sorry for mention of these things don't know if it is allowed here but seriously have only seen misuse of those pipes
>>
>>2702225
Does it give more of a rush and cleaner hit then? Also what is the price difference per reg cut if its cheaper and better smoking I'll consider changing because all smokes cost wayyyy more now!
>>
>>2702095
Former cigarette smoker myself. It doesn't scratch the same itch. The nicotine from a pipe is enjoyable but doesnt feel like cigarettes.
>>
>>2722176
Most of the pipes we smoke are briar wood, not just any old hardwood pipe you can find in a smoke shop. If you take care of it, it should last a lifetime. In a briar pipe, tobacco will burn cooler than in a simple hardwood pipe. Many people also like the taste briar gives when it’s being broken in (though I don’t care for it). Briar pipes are also quite expensive compared to hardwood pipes.
>>
Goddamnit I still can't get the rhythm and feel down. I'm a newfag I bought a corncob cause cheap and I'm finding the draw is so loose and easy the tinest puffy yields a crap ton of smoke and when i puff it just blows in my face I don't want that. Should I switch to briar?
>>
is it normal to charr the rim of a corn pipe? of am i just retarded?
>>
>>2722369
try with balsa filters maybe? or be more gentle
>>
>>2722369
Some tobacco yields more smoke than others. It's best to save the heavily smokey stuff for a gentle breeze.
>>2722370
Discoloration is normal, material burning away is not. Corncobs generally only last a few years as opposed to a briars lifetime.
>>
>>2722369
Sip. Eventually, knowing when to take a sip will become instinctive, and it’s really subjective. Everybody has their own rhythm. It took me a few months before I got my own rhythm down. I basically do the breath method but while holding it with my hand instead clenching. I find that I puff too fast while clenching and salivate too much. Just keep practicing for awhile.

>>2722370
Completely normal. Obviously you wanna try not to, but it’s going to happen to everybody and every pipe. As long as you aren’t purposely holding the flame directly over the rim, blackening is fine and won’t cause structural damage.
>>
I bought picrel for my brother for his birthday and we've been smoking it nonstop. It's an extremely pleasant smoke and is easy to keep lit. It's not your typical sickly sweet aromatic, it's very subtle. It's a great everyday smoke and I think I'm going to pick a tin up for myself to smoke throughout the summer.
>>
File: IMG_8449_Medium__42671.jpg (207 KB, 1280x853)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>2722457
I'm retarded.
>>
Any anons tried Dan Tobacco's Gordon Pym? I have a hookup on a few old tins and I read it has Syrian Latakia that you can't get anymore. Thinking of grabbing a couple of tins. Read some reviews on it and seems like my thing
>>
>>2722726
Never tried it, but I’ve heard good things about it. And if it has Syrian latakia, it would be worth it for that alone. Buy a tin to try and a tin to save.
>>
Having Prince Albert in a cob for the first time right now. Smoked it in a briar plenty of times, and while I thought it was fine, it didn’t wow me. I quickly discovered that THIS is the way to smoke Prince Albert. Now I’m excited to try other codger blends in a cob.
>>
>>2722762
Thats kind of what I was thinking of, you seconding my idea confirms my decision. Thanks anon.
>>
Do different strains of tobacco have differing psychological effects, or is it purely about taste and sensation? If so, what are the effects you notice from differing products?
>>
>>2722938
There’s definitely a difference in nicotine among different types of tobacco. Latakia and orientals don’t have much. You don’t get much of a feeling of nicotine from your typical English blend for that reason. It’s more about flavor for Englishes. Virginias have a bit, but not too much. Burleys will typically have the most, especially dark fired burley. Perique also has a high nicotine content due to how it’s fermented. Then we have nicotiana rustica, which is a different type of tobacco from nicotiana tabacum (almost all pipe, cigar, and cigarette tobacco), which is extremely high in nicotine and will get you feeling pretty buzzed. The only pipe blend I know of and have tried that has nicotiana rustica is Mac Baren HH Rustica which tastes great, though you will almost certainly get a strong buzz from it unless you’re a total heavyweight with nicotine.

As far as how I personally feel after smoking a pipe, it depends on the blend. An English will have almost no effect on me nicotine wise, but I find the flavor and aroma super relaxing, like sitting by a fireplace or campfire on a cold day. It has the same effect on me that burning incense would. If I smoke a Virginia based blend, I find that it has enough nicotine to feel like I actually smoked, but not so much that it would get me buzzed. Just a clear and focused feeling I guess. Smoking something like Irish Flake or Haunted bookshop usually gets me feeling like I do when I smoke a strong cigar. I do feel a buzz when I smoke those. I get physically relaxed and sometimes a bit lightheaded if I haven’t ate. Then if I smoke something like HH Rustica, I’ll get a strong buzz. Dizzy, but also a bit euphoric and relaxed.

All that being said, I smoke primarily for the flavor and aroma, which is why Englishes are my favorite type of blend. All the effects of the tobacco are secondary elements for me. I don’t need a strong nicotine blend to be completely relaxed while smoking a pipe.
>>
>>2703254
Got Opening Night, its not bad. I definitly liked Give Me Liberty more but ON is a fine Virginia. Tried Elizabethan Blend too, I didn't care for the first bowl but the second bowl came after trying the ON and it was an awesome. Think I prefer VaPers to straight Virginias but I'm enjoying collecting all these blends. Got a nice little cellar building up.
>>
>>2722373
I'll check it out
>>2722380
>Some tobacco yields more smoke than others. It's best to save the heavily smokey stuff for a gentle breeze.
I smoke inside my garage with the doors open and don't get much breeze. I'm making a bigger deal than it is just annoying.
>>2722382
>I find that I puff too fast while clenching and salivate too much.
This happens to me. I like to clench sometimes.
Thanks for the input anons
>>
>>2720927
I use it all the time to keep the tobacco in the bowl when prepacking so i dont have to fumble around in non-optimal conditions trying to pack it properly. Its called windcap around these lands, but it doesnt help when windy in my experience.
>>
>>2722868
Carter hall is better than prince Albert imo and the Lane Ready rubbed is good too.
>>
I went to a major supermarket locally (UK) and approached their tobacco counter out of curiosity.

I have only ever bought tobacco on websites like Smoke-King and QCTobacco, so it was a surprise to see that, on their little laminated list of products there was a pipe tobacco section with a handful of tobaccos.

I have never seen anyone smoke a pipe here, in 30 years. There must be someone buying pipe tobacco to keep them stocking it, but who? Are there 80 and 90 year old dudes secretly smoking this stuff in their house? That's the only explanation I can think of.
>>
>>2723175
in my country I've heard that it's mostly old farmers that smoke pipes while they work
>>
>>2723175
>Are there 80 and 90 year old dudes secretly smoking this stuff in their house?
Don't know about the age but most people do smoke at home, pipe is more about relaxing and having a good time for yourself.
>>
>>2723175
There are older gentlemen and people like me who dont take their pipe out with them. I smoke a pipe a few times a week, at most once a day and i dont take it out and about.
>>
>>2723175
I mean, I wouldn’t smoke it walking around town or something. Only time I smoke a pipe when I’m not at home is when I’m on a hike or camping. There’s probably more pipe smokers than we think. There are 3 brick and mortar stores in my city in California that have a good selection of pipes and pipe tobacco, though I’ve never seen a single person besides me actually smoking a pipe in my area. But like you said, places still stock pipe tobacco for a reason.
>>
Pipe vs cigar
similiarities differences
redpill me
>>
>>2723797
Pipes maybe have a larger variety of flavours and aroma. The mechanics of smoking a pipe vs cigar are very different, cigars have a tighter restrictive draw, pipes are wide open. Cigars can have big smoke with more mouthfeel, pipes are more nuanced. Pipes are more finicky, it can take a bit of practice to get a good experience, cigars are easier and more forgiving. Good cigars are way more expensive than pipe tobacco but you can spend a fortune on pipes if you want - though a $10 cob offers an excellent smoke. Both vary in how much nicotine they have from blend to blend. Both are good.
>>
Now how do mods justify ANY "off topic" ban when this thread is blatantly allowed?

Rules for me but not for thee huh
>>
>>2723876
mods smoke pipes. simple as
>>
>>2723876
theres basically no other place this thread fits imho
closest other board i could think of would be /k/, but thats basically gonna require a gun in tow if its on there
>>
File: IMG_8680.jpg (73 KB, 500x644)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2723876
Because pipe smoking has been part of /out/ culture for centuries. If there can be a thread about boots, there can be a thread about pipes. Now fuck off.
>>
>>2723876
Fucking crybaby
>>
>>2723876
>t. assmad his gay hookup thread got pruned
You have a whole board for your degeneracy
>>
>>2723175
>are there 80 and 90 year old dudes secretly smoking this stuff in their house
Literally yes

At least here in the US if you hang out near retirement homes you'll see old men on benches outside smoking pipes sometimes
>>
Anyone tried adding cloves to a smoking bend--pipe or cigarette? I heard about clove cigarettes from a friend who was mad that they had been banned during the Obama administration. I rolled one--nothing fancy, just some RYO cig tobacco and some cloves--and it was really good. You could both smell and taste the flavor which is not true of most aromatics. Might add some to a pipe at some point.
>>
>>2724344
I suppose it would be like how some pipe blends have deertongue in it. Never tried it, but it would be worth a shot.
>>
>>2723872
>Pipes maybe have a larger variety of flavours and aroma.
Disagree and somewhat agree. Modern new age cigars are very complex in their flavor profiles.
>pipes are more nuanced
And cigars have gotten much more complex, including mild cigars now being fuller flavored.
>good cigars are way more expensive
Actual truth. Even a decent $6 stick like a a charter oak conneticut isn't very flavorful to a well seasoned palate.
Smoke something a blue in green from gran habano or smoke some of the stuff from adventura, warped, tatuaje, davidoff, eiroa, cle and aladino. If you don't think these have nuanced flavors it just reinforces my belief pipe smokers are all weird delusional people.
People smoke shit cigars too often. Most pipe blends are pretty flat.
>>
>>2724569
Some truth to what you said and some things I disagree with. I love cigars. Cigars were how I fell in love with tobacco. I still have a cigar or two every weekend. I’m sure most people in this thread smoke cigars at least occasionally. That being said, the flavors in pipe tobacco are much more noticeable than in cigars. I think that’s what the other anon meant. I agree that cigars are in fact more nuanced, because the notes are more subtle and hidden in the overall robustness of a cigar.
>Even a decent $6 stick like a a charter oak conneticut isn't very flavorful to a well seasoned palate.
I actually like the Charter Oak Connecticut. The rothschilds size is a good morning cigar with a cup of coffee. But yeah, the sweet spot for cigars for me is the $10-$15 MSRP range. If you haven’t tried it yet, try the Illusione Fume D’Amour. Currently my go-to cigar.
>it just reinforces my belief pipe smokers are all weird delusional people.
This is where you lost me. How are pipe smokers delusional or weird? Pipe smoking is definitely more of an introverted and solitary hobby than cigar smoking is (which is why a lot of on /out/ smoke one while on a hike or doing some other solitary outdoor activity), and that introversion might come off as “weird”, but there’s really nothing weird about wanting to relax by yourself for a bit. When I only smoked cigars, I used to smoke by myself a lot. When I discovered pipes, I switched to smoking pipes when I was by myself and smoking cigars in a social setting. The ritualistic and contemplative nature of a pipe fits those alone moments much better than a cigar did, while the cigar is an excellent accessory to a social situation. It’s also saved me a ton of money. Nothing weird about any of that.
>Most pipe blends are pretty flat.
Not at all. Even the cheap bulk blends have a ton of flavor. Virginias are pretty subtle, but even those become super flavorful after you train your palate.
>>
>>2724569
>Disagree and somewhat agree. Modern new age cigars are very complex in their flavor profiles.
Im not saying cigars cant be complex, it's more that the range of flavours exist in a narrower band. Think deep vs wide.
>>
>>2724569
>>2724698
Also i love cigars, you took this bit too personal. It was an attempt at contrasting the 2. I dont think one is superior to the other, they are different and i like them both for what they are.
>>
Well, looks like the USPS/Smokingpipes lost my $300 order baka. Smokingpipes is saying the package probably just wasn’t scanned and it will show up, while the USPS is saying they never received it. It’s the first time I’ve had a problem with a Smokingpipes order, but still.
>>
>>2724891
Canuck here, i dont know about usps but ive had orders not show up in canada post system get delivered anyways so maybe there is hope. Im not talking about smokingpipes though, just in general

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.