[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 10621_Fill_960_0.jpg (69 KB, 960x540)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
I have only ever hiked in Europe but I'm interested in experiences other places when I take a sabbatical next year. Pic rel is the type of environments I have hiked.
Pictures please!
>>
>Main differences between hiking in Europe and America?
Over there all the faggots will be wearing Patagonia, over here they're all wearing Stumblecrow.
>>
>>2711655
There is nothing in Europe comparable to the West coast of America. The east coast is pretty similar to Europe however--massive population, over crowding, not many /out/ options... easy to avoid in the West.
>>
it's kinda hard here (america) to find views where you are not just looking at cultivated fields and it is more uninterrupted green but you generally have to drive quite a bit outside of major cities to find that
little disappointing to just look at random people's farms
>>
>>2711671
>not many /out/ options
Maybe not for lazy fucks like you who can't be bothered to do any research. I go /out/ every week of the year and still have places within an hour of me that I haven't gotten around to yet.
>>
File: IMG_8233.jpg (3.37 MB, 4032x3024)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB JPG
>>2711655
>>
>>2711685
did there used to be more trees, or that's it?
kinda same situation as europe really
>>
>>2711687
>did there used to be more trees,
it all depends on where. further up the trail you have full forest. But even in the dense conifer forests you have open meadows with sage etc...this area has never been logged. Burned many times over the millenia but never logged
>>
File: 0288991367757076.jpg (2.68 MB, 1800x1350)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB JPG
>this area has never been logged
press x to doubt
>>
>>2711691
You've proven your ignorance of the West a 1000x over. Lots of places in the West were logged. This was not.
>>
>>2711685
Easily superior to what I have hiked in Europe. Looks awesome and serene but can't guage the atmosphere
>>
>>2711671
Eastern America has orders of magnitude more forest than any European country and is probably the easiest place in the world to squat/stealth camp in the wilderness while still having reasonable access to basic goods and services.
>>
>>2711703
In this pic is was mid-November and temps around 50f/10c. It was a little unseasonably warm as it could very well have been knee deep in snow. The trails eventually runs along a creek and follows it up a drainage toward that peak.
>>
>>2711682
Your mountains are shit and 80% of the US lives East of the mississppi. Cope harder city fag.
>>2711704
>The East Coast has orders of magnitude more forests than Europe
This is true, but that's like comparing a crack whore to her dead grandparents.
The east coast is almost all managed land, privately owned (on the chopping block), or urban sprawl. The writing is on the wall and at this point I'm praying for multiple, simultaneous, earth pointing X-class flares.
>>
File: Cougar.jpg (13 KB, 480x360)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>2711655
large game
>>
Population density. If you drive a bit off the beaten path it's easy to end up many miles from the nearest other person and at best hours from emergency services. Trails exist for a reason, use them. Be prepared and take proper supplies, including a gps panic button. Even US coasties don't seem to get it. On the plus side it's coming up on the start of cidiot season so I'll be able to pick up tons of over time on the SAR teams.
>>
>>2711791
In the woods and the bars, now a days.
>>
File: Tara-Canyon-1.jpg (223 KB, 1240x744)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>2711655
>the deepest canyon in europe
>houses everywhere
that's how bad it is
i used to think europe had wilderness and laughed at americans here making fun of us, but then i started actually hiking
we're nothing more but canned sardines
america is freedom they were right all along
>>
File: IMG_20240326_192424.jpg (1.29 MB, 1080x1922)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>2711671
if you live on the east coast its 30+ hours drive to the west coast, you cant afford flying and lol whats public transport.
if you live in europe its at most a 20 hour drive to the nordics, much less from centrl europe, you also got the alps, baltics or any of thoose places that got nice nature. not to mention you dont need to drive in the first place you can get cheap plane or train tickets.
op is just a fag that doesnt know how to travel.
>>
>>2712850
>oh no, a house is breaking my illusion of being adventurous! gotta stay inside now and post on 4chan all day!!!
>>
>>2713179
You could be 500 miles deep in the Amazon jungle and planes will still be flying overhead.

If you dont think thats tragic you shouldnt be on this board.
>>
>>2713180
this is the outdoors board, not the misanthropy board
>>
>>2713187
Yeah thats why we go backpacking in malls and hiking in the suburbs.

Get fucked retard.
>>
>>2712859
thanks for the pic anon, i'll be using it as my phone wallpaper from now on, till i find a better one
>>
>>2712859
where'd you take this pic?
>verification not required
>>
>>2713225
>>2713226
lol i just found a random pic from google maps somewhere in bosnia i think? i was looking for a much better view i know exist there but couldnt find it. never been there myself so not taking any credit.
>>
File: DSC01543.jpg (2.3 MB, 2560x1920)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
>>2711655
Western US is comparable to Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Iceland except with a fraction of the population density and significantly more variation in climate and habitats (sub-tropical desert to summer firn snow banks and tundra in 50 miles/80km). Eastern US is more like Germany outside of the alps with slightly lower population density, some east coast states on the coast are actually worse than Netherlands tier. Central US is a mix, states like AR, OK, and MN are fairly good tier, while states like KS, NE, IA and ND are quite literally about 90-97% hilly plains, urban settlements, or agricultural land with not much to see or do (let alone places to hike and camp), even with low population density, Europe doesn't really have an analog to the great plains. Western states can be insanely diverse, it is a focal point for research on biomes (also where the concept of biomes came from), climates (especially micro, but also macro time sequenced and paleo studies as well, some locations are the coldest and snowiest of their latitudes in the world or just outright in the world, also has the hottest locations in the world as well and the wettest outside of island climates), biology (plant, mycology, animal, and ecology studies), and topographic and geological morphology studies. In some places you can walk a certain distance and it is like flipping a switch as you change biomes (20%+ humidity rise 10C cooling in mere hundreds of m walked).
>>
hiking in America
>beautiful expansive nature
>camping
>long hikes through varied landscapes
>amazing wildlife and untouched beauty everywhere\

'hiking' in Europe
>smelling brown people farts in a hostel
>walking through a tourist town
>walking through dead barren countryside
>no animals (they killed them all)
>>
>>2714636
People will say your post was typed by american hands, but it doesn't matter, it is all true
Sincerely, a european sufferer
>>
>>2714636
hiking in Europe
>beautiful expansive nature
>camping
>long hikes through varied landscapes
>castles and historic landmarks older than the united states littered everywhere

'hiking' in America
>smelling brown people farts in a hostel
>have to queue up with streams of tourists to look at a rock
>rock is named after fast food
>no buffalo (they killed them all)
>get stabbed at the trailhead for misgendering the local methhead
>cars everywhere
>>
>>2714642
>america
>hostel
KEK
>>
>>2714642
i have seen entire herds of buffalo
where are your bison?
>>
>>2714647
No, you've seen bison. The animal is literally named "Bison bison"
>>
>>2714650
in america we call them buffalo
in europe you call them bison because you have water buffalo already
we have never had water buffalo in america, only what you call 'bison' which we call buffalo
we didnt kill any water buffalo because we never had any you fucking dumbass LOL
>>
>>2714651
I'm not the guy you're arguing with, I just hate that you called our animals bison when your animals are also bison, that's all
>>
>>2714652
erm theyre actually called wisent
>>
>>2714650
>>2714652
>>
>>2714647
>where are your bison?
poland, belarussia, bulgaria, russia, czechia, sweden, ukraine, lithuania, romania,...

>While there are now 400,000 bison in North America today, most are domesticated and have been interbred with cattle at some point
why do americans do this?
>>
File: IMG_1864 2 copy.jpg (3.97 MB, 3600x2700)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB JPG
>>2714662
>why do americans do this?
There is a big push to preserve more of the pure Bison herds. Yellowstone has about 5000 bison and they have been actively feeding breeding programs across the US- mostly indian reservations but other places like Roosevelt NP and the American Prairie reserve. There are about 30,000 bison in the wild currenlty in the US.
>>
>>2711691
Where this be?
>>
>>2714692
>tfw we will never see the great herds again

honestly I think plains indians had the best lives
>>
>>2714662
Wisent already contain a large percentage of domestic bovine DNA. In essence, they're exactly like the US beefalo.
I'm glad we still have some genetically pure wooly cows though
>>
File: 1468002678591.jpg (81 KB, 640x640)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>2711655
I moved from the US to Yuroop a couple years ago and hiking in the EU sucks balls. I miss American nature, proper /out/ infrastructure and nice people on trails so much brehs
>>
>>2711767
OK faggot.
>>
>>2711691
man discovers glade in top story
also picrel is oregon
>>
>>2711655
Honestly reminds me of the Kansas Flint Hills. Cozy but not the best hiking opportunities. The plains states are great if you like hunting because they’re loaded with game and I personally enjoy the absolute solitude I can find there whereas most of the famous scenery locations have become loaded with second home owners and tourists mostly hippies, Indians, and Chinese driving the byways force fucked into the land scapes. I specifically remember stopping alongside a highway in colorado and seeing a squad of future programmers step in front of an elk hunter that was glassing a particularly pretty mountain to take a picture obstructing them which was shitty.

North East US is better imo if you want to watch the leaves change in autumn, drive around and visit some quaint small towns, do some light day hiking here and there, and eat some good food.

Southeast US is pretty meh but I’m sure someone from there will argue. I liked Florida for the ocean and that was about it. Keys are fucking dope if you like swimming, diving, fishing, etc. but very expensive and very developed. You can still boat out to some small uninhabited islands but everyone else knows about them too. You don’t need to go to the swamps unless you like 4x4s, guns, fishing, and alligators. I personally do but snobs with delicate sensibilities and low tolerance for mosquitos need not investigate.

Northwest and Rockies are fucking awesome mountains just stay away from the most famous ones. You will hit a traffic jam on Mt. Rainier for example. But if you want to get fucking LOST out in the remote wilderness that’s the place. A lot of it is just too steep to really develop too much and shit tons of federal land thanks to Teddy Roosevelt.

Southwest is desert and has mountains as well. Can be very dangerous with the tweakers, illegal aliens, snakes, heat, scorpions, cacti, etc. but the most beautiful sunset you will ever see is in the desert. Simple as.
>>
>>2714864
>Southeast US is pretty meh
you have never been there, right?
>the southeast is just florida so its flat and ocean
lol
>>
>>2714870
Stationed at Benning two years and went to school at FAU. Had fun in GA but wouldn’t call it particularly great for outdoor activities. I find some good stuff everywhere but not much that blew my mind down there except the love bugs and not in a good way. If you know better enlighten the board. Like I said ain’t talking shit. Just wasn’t particularly blown away.
>>
>>2714877
how often did you make your way to extreme nw Georgia or NC or TN? The best hiking in the SE is not in coastal or piedmont georgia where you were
>>
>>2714879
Two years at Bragg. NC had some nice mountains. There was a little town surrounded by equestrian farms I really liked to visit I can’t remember the name of. Fayetteville and the soulless tree farms that litter the Carolinas just left a bad taste in my mouth honestly.
>>
>>2714882
I use paper products a lot and I guess at some level I understand why logging and tree farms must exist. It's not really like that here a bit further north, I mean in the coastal areas there's some tree farms, but it's more just very-logged thin trees that get yeeted every 20-30 years unless you find somewhere special.
>>
>>2714748
not true, the breeding program for wisent stems from 12 pure individuals. The nazi's did interbreed with american bison but those animals where purged from the breeding program after the war
>>
>>2714771
This
>>
>>2711655
Europe has a long history. America doesn't. What this means for hiking is that in Europe, walking used to be the way people got around, so they built an infrastructure of inns and chalets and B+Bs and s on. Some of this is still in place. So you can readily walk from A to B and only carry your clothes. This can't be done in America except for some very specific places, like the AMC huts or some national parks. And where you can get to many trail heads through public transport in Europe, in America need a car or to hitch hike.
>>
>>2714603
>Western US is comparable to Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Iceland except with a fraction of the population density.
so fucking wrong, you would feel like living in a mall at rush hour there compared to here.
>>
>>2713180
I think that's fucking awesome, actually.
You're an insufferable faggot who probably smells like shit and gives people the creeps.
>>
>>2711655
If you wanna feel what hiking was like during medieval times in europe go to new zealand
>>
Why do all of you niggers only care about hiking in america and europe??

Hiking in japan is great, hiking in australia is great, vietnam was pristine, china was beautiful, new zealand was J.R.R tolkiens vision of an aryan future, malaysia is awesome, indonesia sorta smelled of shit everywhere, africa is nice but only on guarded areas cause nigs will eat you and rape your wife
>>
>>2717068
Do you mean you would feel like that in Scandinavia or feel like that in the western US. The population density of my state is lower than Sweden and it's the 3rd most populous in the far west. The four corner states alone are larger in land and total area than the Scandinavia peninsula plus Finland (so mainland Norway, Sweden, and Finland), with the four corners still having 3 million less permanent inhabitants in that comparison. Just yesterday I had an entire mountain to myself, all day, on the weekend, in the 3rd most populous western state, and there's still 4ft of snow on the ground in areas (at 33-34N).
>>
>>2714636
hiking in America
>buy ticket to walk on a trail
>several thousand other people walk the same trail because some years ago someone walked it and decided to map it and name it
>you can't go anywhere that's not a named trail
>get shot
>>
>>2716885
You are generalizing, northern europe exists. Lapland and areas around it is literally wilderness.
>>
File: Niilanpaa-828x1024.jpg (309 KB, 828x1024)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>2718068
>>
>>2718068
>>2718069
>just go where its freezing cold 9 months of the year and there's barely any trees
gee, maybe its wilderness for a reason?
>>
>>2718070
>he doesn't know how to wear appropriate clothes
Maybe you shouldn't go, it might be a bit too advanced there for you.
>>
>>2711671
Peak Amerimutt brain
"muh wild forests", proceeds to drive 5 hours to a trail, hike half a mile on it, clutching muh handgun all the while
Plenty of cool places to hike all along europe, just need to go off trails
>>
>>2712850
That's peak city dweller mentality
Imagine getting triggered seeing a house
People in europe live in rural areas, unlike 90% of burgers on this board who can't fathom not having to drive 9 hours to the nearest Instagrammable Trail (tm)
>>
>>2718096
The other 10-15% of burgers (rural western US anons) actually live on the edge of the wilderness or surrounded by it (NF and BLM land in the US is legally wilderness in Europe and designated wilderness in the US is like deep Siberia compared with Europe, where not even roads are allowed) and couldn't fathom seeing houses everywhere when out.
>>
File: 20240410_022600.jpg (3.3 MB, 4096x2694)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>2714857
that last photos wasn't a very fun hike as it was super muddy. picrel is idaho, this went awesome with some hail that was very scenic and no trouble functionally
>>
File: 20240410_023017.jpg (2.87 MB, 4096x2845)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB JPG
>>2718096
I can drive 30-40 minutes north or south and be in bumfuck despite living in a semi populated town. picrel is 40 minutes
>>
>>2711655
Wtf OP that's Trehøje in Denmark. I grew up here and have taken so many shrooms in those hills
>>
i dont know whats the main differences, but its pretty nice where i live in europe
>freedom to roam
>free national parks, wilderness areas and reserves
>free cabins and camping areas with free firewood anyone can use

This place took me whole day of driving from south but it was worth it lol
>>
File: image.jpg (1.08 MB, 1436x2048)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>2718431
but theres pretty good amount of national parks even in south, i have one in 10 minute drive away. I was thinkin about getting kayak next since theres so much more to explore trough water.
>>
>>2717070
>>2713187
You people would have both been on Uncle Theodore's mailing list
>>
>>2718431
>national parks
Can't stand national parks. Super heavy handed restrictions on where you camp, and where you can light campfires. Might as well just go on google street view
>>
>>2718955
You can camp absolutely anywhere you want and making a fire is only restricted if you are within 500m of a maintained fireplace. I don't know what the rules are for burgerland
>>
>>2719193
In leafland it's unbearable. Pure tourist cancer. Crown land is all that's worth going to
>>
>>2717403
Don't forget how you have to go DEEP into literal wilderness, which some states just simply don't have in the first place, to actually get away from people. As in, be prepared to hike at least 10 miles through rough going before you can go more than five minutes without some faggot with a go-pro coming up on you every five minutes.

I just want to fuck my girl in the ass while she braces herself against a tree, where the fuck do I go to do this with some semblance of privacy?
>>
>>2721028
>where the fuck do I go to do this with some semblance of privacy?
Your private property, sodomite.
>>
File: IMG_20180910_162242276.jpg (1.79 MB, 3264x2448)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>2711655
Bong here. I have been all over the United States for the specific purpose of going /out/ because England is the worst country on earth for going /out/.
It's my firm belief that if you want to see cities and culture you go to Europe, if you want to go /out/ you go to the USA (and stay as far away from the cities as possible)

Practically the main difference is that American /out/ is far more wild and expansive. That also means it's impossible to get to without a car. If you do not have a car in the USA then forget about going /out/. Me personally I hitchhiked everywhere.

But the main difference and the important difference is the lack of villages and farmland. Even in the national parks in europe there are many villages and farms and roads cut through countryside. In the western US you will find large areas of countryside seemingly untouched by man. You can walk vast distances and not see another human.
>>
>>2721028
>DEEP
>10 miles
Anyway, if you want to completely avoid people and you're willing to leave the city then Australia is great. Much lower population density than anywhere else on earth, and even in regions that aren't desert there are areas where there's almost nobody around. Along the Avon River, for example, there are basically no tracks and no people.
>>
>>2711655
if that pic is the only kind of environment you've hiked in there's a lot of different places you could go to in Europe before moving on to America, since in the US you are generally much further away from civilization and therefore you need to be better equipped and prepared.
>>
>>2718407
Idaho is flat out my favorite out state. People just don’t understand how ridiculously difficult the environment can be in certain places. The 4x4 fags are often hated on this board but if you watch them trying to break trail in spring time it’s literally miles and miles of
>Winch fuck huge 4x4 ten feet
>Chainsaw a fallen tree on the path
>Winch another ten feet
>Chainsaw another fallen tree
>Shit Doug’s rig just fell into a snow melt river that carved itself into the ice pack
>Spend four hours digging Doug out
>Chainsaw another tree
>Now Dave is stuck
It literally just spits in the face of civilization and I love it.
>>
>>2718955
Here it's pretty chill, motorized travel banned, and the land is protected from industrial destruction.
This is in Norway, hell, most even allow for hunting.
>>
>>2711655
>similar to Europe
what part of Europe lmao
>>
>>2711671
Agree. Get me the fuck out of here.
>>
>>2721028
>Don't forget how you have to go DEEP into literal wilderness
you're in the wrong places. Whenever I got out I never see another person.
>>
>>2721028
I go /out/ during hunting season and once I get more than 100 feet into the trees I'm completely alone; the boomers don't want to stray far from their vehicles, kek
>>
>>2711655
We hike in miles, you hike in kilometers.
>>
>>2714778
If sweet tea was an image. Got I need to visit carolina when I get out of this hellstate of a nation.
>>
>>2711687
West coast, outside of a few hotspots, is the same dozen or so (mostly) conifer trees over and over again.

I mean don't get me wrong the views are great and it is much less developed but if you love forests and plants then it is pretty underwhelming out there in most places besides maybe the coastal PNW.
>>
File: 654570488.jpg (1.87 MB, 2748x1644)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>2724201
This is more what I think of when I think of sweet tea
>>
Reminder that until two years ago the largest lad mammal in britain was deer LOL
>>
>>2724394
nah the largest land mammal in britain is greg evans from stetchton, mans 30 stone and a filthy fucking animal
>>
>>2724342
I was thinking maybe a bit more like this. Sweet tea involves a bit more sophistication after all.
>>
>>2714771
what differences do you see between the US and Europe, or better the state you're in?
both for out and in general as a civilization
>>
>>2716885
bullshit if you want to go hiking you need a car, otherwise your options are very limited and it's still annoying to take the train instead of just going with my car, it's also faster, plus you need a car to get to the train station, or take a bus to get there and it takes so fucking long.

public transport sucks, it's good to have but it's an inferior good.
>>
>>2724399
kek'd and loicense'd
>>
File: loowit.jpg (250 KB, 1280x853)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
>>2724341
>is the same dozen or so (mostly) conifer trees over and over again.
its really not.
>>
>>2724679
A couple of different firs, couple of different pines, Spruce, Western red cedar, Hemlock, Aspen, Birch, and maybe Cottonwood. In alot of places out west that's mostly what you're going to see.
>>
>>2724700
Silver maple, big leaf maple, boxelder, canyon maple, rocky mountain maple, gambel oak, white oak, red oak, catalpa, tuliptree, noble fir, Douglas fir, pinyon pine, lodgepole pine, ponderosa pine. Etc etc. And the rest you mention off the top of my head. It's as diverse as any other temperature region.
>>
>>2724707
Ah yes, is this Arizona anon?
Lol but seriously of the trees you listed five of them are in fact some of the ubiquitous conifers which I was referring to.

>Just as diverse as any other temperate region
There are temperate regions in the US with more species of Oak alone than some western states have species of native tree altogether.

Having said that it very much depends on which region of the west we are referring to, there are a few hotspots but as a generalization I stand by what I've said.
>>
>>2724732
Lol no. There's areas of denser forestation for sure. But literally, no areas gonna be much more diverse than any other in the temperature region. Go down to the humid subtropical you'll get a bit more diversity, but then you're somewhere like Florida or Mississippi.
>>
>>2724732
Mountain mahogany, few different kinds of willow, narrowleaf cottonwood, few different hawthorn, juniper, serviceberry, dogwood, poplar, ash, a few locusts, thinleaf alder. And so forth and so on. Not including the conifers there's still like 4 dozen deciduous trees I can think of. Probably more once they get broken down to the nitty gritty of them. There's even introduced groves of Fraser magnolia. You aren't gonna get more exciting arborism until you're in the deep south or the tropics realistically.
>>
>>2724341
>West coast, outside of a few hotspots, is the same dozen or so
What do you mean "west coast"- like the immediate coast or is all of CA the "west coast"? CA has 95 different types of native trees.
>>
>>2724763
>>2724768
What I'm used to IS in the deep south. I travel alot out west, and everytime I'm there I am always struck by the beauty of the views but the relative sparsness of the vegetation trees etc. Again there are hotspots that are different, but there are many places where 90% of the forest is literally about a half dozen conifer tree species plus birch and aspen. Particularly alpine areas. Many things like Hawthorn etc. tend to be more of a shrub except in exceptional cases and certain species. Everytime I get back home after a week or so of being there, I feel like I'm entering a green house that's wall to wall with stuff. Much less wide open views (a negative thing to many). No mountains and very little topohraphy (a negative for many people). The woods are so thick with things you can't really even walk through them (also a negative thing to many). However the density of species etc. is on a whole different level.

Now in my mind I don't draw much distinction between subtropical and temperate. A latitudinal distinction doesnt account for a whole lot compared to climate. I mean I could make the argument the British isles are borderline "subtropical" based on climate. Anyways, generally I see temperate and tropical- the major cutoff being a few annual hard frosts. If a place gets hard frosts it is "temperate" in my mind. The frost really has a gigantic influence on the type and cycle of plant growth you see in a place.
>>
>>2724772
West of Oklahoma basically. You have alpine, various desert, and prairie (of course some subcategories). California is a very unique state with some unique climate things going on- particularly in the coastal PNW.

No one can go see some of those forests on the coastal PNW and not be in awe of them- but too often western people ride on the coattails of this one region even if they live in let's say prairie or alpine areas.

Take Alaska for example. It is literally is dominated by about ten different tree species. Also every region has its own appeal imho, hell even the high desert has appeal in its own unique way. The west certainly has wide open views, less development generally speaking, interesting topography, stunning landscape views, however it is (generally speaking) relatively sparse when it comes to plant (and especially tree) diversity. It isn't a knock on the place to admit this, it is only being truthful.
>>
>>2724777
yeah you are right. California does have an absolutely amazing climate and ecological diversity. It is the most ecologically diverse state in the country...and the biggest, tallest and oldest trees. Pretty cool.
>>
File: IMG_2232.jpg (611 KB, 750x520)
611 KB
611 KB JPG
>>2724700
>west coast isnt biodiversity bc trees
ya idc but eastcucks will only look at trees. not mushrooms or other plants. good luck finding hikes near you with anywhere near the grandeur.
>>
File: IMG_2236.jpg (569 KB, 505x753)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
>we got 4000 species of oak
>>
File: IMG_20220519_224157.jpg (651 KB, 1048x598)
651 KB
651 KB JPG
>>2713436
The jokes write themselves.

Anyways, here's a pic about 10 miles from my house
>>
>>2724894
>>2724895
Amazing tree and beautiful picture. Again I've not said anything to detract from the strengths of some parts of the western landscape. But as always, in true westoid form- you cannot accept any suggestion (true or not) which suggests any other landscape surpasses it in some way or another. It's a pathological tendency really.

But no I stand by everything I've said, the vast swathes of the American west, prairie, alpine, desert etc. Are sparse landscapes as far as the diversity of trees and plants go (aka the real richness of the woodlands).
>>
File: image000000 (7).jpg (1.2 MB, 1944x2592)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>2711655
I have a cloudberry addiction that can only be quenched by climbing mountains in the summer.
>>
>>2721620
Bunch of trust fund faggots ripping up my nature.
>>
>>2711687
check out desert drifter on YouTube if you wanna see cool shit out west.
>>
>>2712850
it's worse here, they built mansions all over the ridgetops.
>>
>>2725110
Lol. Just stop. They couldn't if they wanted to. Foothills around ski resorts is the closest you'll get.
>>
>>2725112
wtf are you talking about, I live in Appalachia and they are on every fucking ridge that isn't state or fed property retard.
>>
>>2725117
Oh. Those are hills, that's why.
>>
>>2712850
another canyon in europe with no houses.
you are probably closer to this than many americans are to whatever canyon they brag about.
central europeans suffer greatly from distance anxhiety, to them if something isnt within 30min train ride its like it doesnt exist. its unobtainium, how can a human body possibly traverse such distance in a short period of time?
>>
File: ALT_02_1920 X 1080 LG (1).jpg (759 KB, 1920x1080)
759 KB
759 KB JPG
>>2725128
fugg
>>
>>2725128
.... Do you not see the houses? Admittedly if you're in the middle of Nebraska you're not near anything. But I'm like 3 miles away from 3000 ft cliffs and not a structure in sight here in the Rockies. It's not real rocket science. We've got the same landmass as Europe and half the population. Canadians got it even better. But they're hampered because like half the country is tundra. And we've got a bit more diverse biomes in the American side because we run the whole spectrum from tropical at the tip of Florida to savannah to desert to broadleaf oak forest to alpine tundra and everything in between.
>>
>>2724941
>Are sparse landscapes as far as the diversity of trees and plants go
But not animals.

>>2724777
>ride on the coattails of this one region
Bullshit

The diversity and beauty of landscapes across the West is umatched compared to the east. The east has a lot of decidious trees. bully for you. It can be quite lovely and the amount of greenery is pleasing. Rolling hills are cute.. The west is so much more. The beauty of the prairie is breathtaking and the feeling of space is unimaginable to eastoids. You call it barren and yet its full of life. You are just blind. Same with the deserts- "barren" to you yet full of life and beauty. The alpine settings are beyond compare in the lower 48. The simple beauty in their fragility yet teaming with life lost on someone like you. The oak woodlands, the coastal ranges (1300 miles worth), the rainforests, the volcanoes, the big trees, the old trees all amazing. You try to cope by admitting
>a few hotspots
some places are cool without really accounting for the scale. Those "hot spots:" are as big as states back east lol. 3 wilderness areas in WA state alone are bigger than New Jersey. The scale is lost on eastoids and they cant cope with miles and miles of flat land or sage lol. They cant fathom wilderness areas that are bigger than their entire national forests. They cant fathom miles and miles of undeveloped coastline. They cant fathom fully intact ecosystems with apex predators. So they cope by saying but we have more trees! lol
>>
>>2725132
i know i fucked up by not posting my intended pic along with the first post.
>diversity
dude im in northern scandinavia, im as close to sahara, africa as someone in new york are to LA. you can make this seem like usa is big and its a good thing, and it is. or you can make it into i have access to a just as wide diversity
>b-but you have to leave your county and visit africa its full off niggers and you cant bring guns so you cant shoot them down and you will die....
lol
>>
>>2725149
The nicest thing I suppose is that I can get all of those environments without a passport and where everyone speaks my language. Part of the fun of adventuring as an American is the getting there too. Some people hate driving. I love going through the country and getting to stop and see different stuff whenever I want.
I wish I could just show you how cool all the stuff within 30 miles of me is.
I'm a half days drive from like anything you could possibly desire. The largest active geothermal area in the world, red rock canyons unlike anywhere else on earth, giant sand dunes and transient rivers, I got a 600 foot waterfall 5 miles from me. There's just tons of opportunity everywhere you go and lots of exploration off the beaten path. I didn't hit the nordics, but my time in France, Germany and Switzerland just didn't give me the same thrill.
Now that said, the history in Europe is great. The towns are better basically everywhere. Breaking into Heidelberg Castle was a lifetime memory. Switzerland was kinda like if you threw quaint European towns into the Sierras.
But no matter where I went to you couldn't leave the auspices of civilization.
>>
>>2711655
Have you hiked in France. I made a thread earlier >>2725146 asking for anons who may have been into places in nearby regions of North Western France. If you may have ideas I suggest you to drop your input in the thread if you may, or simply answer under this reply.
>>
File: IMG_20240427_120051.jpg (32 KB, 756x567)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>2725159
Crawling into the castle undercroft. Lol. It was under renovation at the time. That was years ago.
>>
>>2718096
borgirs BTFO'd
>>
>>2725159
before i start s bitchfight with you on who lives best for outings, i cant really put "half a day drive" into my perspective so i cant compare it?
i just bought a house within 15min drive from 2MV2+QV6 Ã…s
always been my favourite /out/ area now i can do it from my doorstep.
now you show me the same for you? no doxxing required.
>>
File: 20240427_145747.jpg (3.2 MB, 3200x1801)
3.2 MB
3.2 MB JPG
>>2725144
To me, the density and diversity of the woodland plant species IS the essence of what makes a wood rich vs sparse. I mean if I was going to go take a beautiful picture of some mountains for a desktop screensaver, I'd probably choose out west or if I was a woman choosing an instagram picture.. but as someone who lives in the woods and spends hours each day out there and just loves the woodlands, there is really nothing Ive seen out west from a woodlands perspective that is comparable to some of the warmer areas of the east.

And again with this sensitivity- I've been very clear about the fact that the west has beautiful topography, stunning views, it isn't as developed, etc. However for the lover of the woodlands, and the plantlover- it IS inferior to some other places. I still travel to the west though because it is a beautiful place in it's own way as you've pointed out. Beautiful landscape, but yes the woods always feel very sparse and monotonous. There is no need to be sensitive about it kek no place can be perfect. Westoids have this pathological almost delusional inability to admit anything about another place may be better in some way on the east (another example the gulf beaches are superior wo west coast beaches).
>>
File: image000000.webp.jpg (282 KB, 1070x803)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
>>2725170
I think whatever language you were using did not translate right. Lol. But nah yeah, this is 12 miles from me. There's some really good mountains right on my doorstep
>>
File: PXL_20220823_161205137.MP.jpg (3.85 MB, 3024x4032)
3.85 MB
3.85 MB JPG
>>2725181
Can see my house from the top of this mountain. Nicely enough you can't see anything from the middle as you head up
>>
File: MVIMG_20190921_080933~2.jpg (2.98 MB, 4032x3024)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
>>2725170
And here's about. 25 minute drive and 2.5 hour hike in. I am legit proud of the area I'm in. It's fantastic.
>>
>>2725181
>>2725187
yeah but wtf are they compared to yoi?
>>
>>2725192
I'm sorry. I do not understand your question.
>>
>>2725173
You take that back. Maybe Florida yeah, but Texas and Louisiana beaches suck ass.
>>
>>2725173
>admit anything about another place may be better in some way on the east
I admit the east has more deciduous trees. Alas, that doesnt make it better. just different. I prefer more open space than dense forests. I dont like the monotony of the east coast.
>>
>>2725173
>the gulf beaches are superior wo west coast beaches
for swimming they are. but in general, west coast beaches are much more dramatic and wild and empty of people compared to gulf coast beaches. I prefer that by a wide margin
>>
>>2711655Haven't seen much of america, but afaik the US doesn't have freedom of movement the way the germanic and slavic countries do. There, you only have the choice between curated "trails" targeted towards cityfags (the people shitposting about trailnames and ultralightg ear, basically) and walking along roads, as most land is private, fenced in and illegal to cross. East asia is even worse. I've heard good things about southern america, but haven't been there myself, and obviously, africa or northern asia are empty enough that nobody cares what you're doing.
>>
>>2725218
You've got freedom of movement in public land. And freedom to roam doesn't matter much in Europe because most countries don't have freedom to wild camp. (At least the central ones I'm familiar with)
>>
File: 20240427_170405.jpg (1.97 MB, 1801x3200)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>2725202
I like a place to feel teeming with life. Not just plants but particularly plants. I want there to be more plant species than I can even count in even a tiny area- even a single acre. And then the next acre will be filled with new things. The more dense and thick the better. I want to be able to walk out of my back door into the woods and find and ID new plants every day that I've never ID'd before. I want the there to be so many I'll never learn them all in my life.

If I was a hiker, and I took hikes once a week or two or something I'd want to be out west because the views and mountains (in some places) are so great. But I'm in the woods and swamps every day, I see them change slowly with the seasons, and every day I find new things and it's so dense I'll never run out of new things or plants. To me, that is the real ultimate fascination of it- an obsession really.
>>
>>2725220
I live in France and I camp most often. I don't have any idea on regulations though but I couldn't care less.
>>
>>2725220
Compare that to public land in Europe and it's not super contiguous. And everyone's laws surrounding camping in each country are a bit different.
>>
>>2725223
As you should.
>>2725224
But comparing the two stop one another kind of hits home the disparity. Europe has very pretty nature where it exists. But it's not the same.
>>
File: 2zsp44wsjjn81.jpg (60 KB, 789x716)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>2725226
Shit forgot the pic.
>>
I want you to understand that in the US, one contiguous park system, (the greater Yellowstone area, everything in the light green) is the size of the entire country of Slovakia.
>>
>>2711655
The western US on the cost is were all the people live, east of the Cascades and the Sierra Nevada it all high desert, but there are also a lot of water towers in the western US. So, you do get forest and lake at 1.5 km to 2 kilometers. The forest changes the higher you go up. There are a lot of mountain between 3 and 4 km in the western US. these maps will give you an ideal between the western us and the eastern. https://www.grasshoppergeography.com/cdn/shop/files/ElevationmapoftheUnitedStateswithblackbackgroundproductimage.jpg?v=1694183830&width=1800
>>
>>2714642
America doesn't have hostels you autistic inbred retarded BIPOC yuropoor faggot.
>>
>>2725287
Why are you replying to troll posts?
Anon... Are you autistic?
>>
>>2725296
I don't let autism define me so please don't refer to me as autistic, I'm so much more than that label.
>>
>>2714922
An independent study of mitochondrial DNA and autosomal markers confirmed these secondary contacts (with an estimate of up to 10% of bovine ancestry in the modern wisent genome)
You have beefalo.
>>
>>2717142
Unwarranted self importance
>>
File: xHRKVhA-1.png (464 KB, 2040x1035)
464 KB
464 KB PNG
>>2725320
If by unwarranted you mean being the most dominant cultural forces of the past 500 years then yes. Europeans and Americans just have a bit of a God complex. Aussies are cool too, you're just really fucking out of the way
>>
File: Trees_diversity_by_county.jpg (2.17 MB, 2000x1350)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
>>2724341
Yeah, if you're interested in seeing a diverse range of flora, the West is not where you want to be.
>>
>>2724679
It really is:
>>2725337
>>
>>2725337
There won't be a legitimate response to this
>>
>>2724942

what country is this ?
also what's up with cloudberries ?
I was in Finland last August/September and found exactly 2.
both tasted like some sort of tangy beer lol.

the jam is pretty good though.
>>
>>2725372
USA. They're introduced in these mountains, not native. The seeds are bitter but they're so tangy I don't know. I didn't used to like them but it's become habitual for me to go up once a year, pick a small basket and bring them down.
>>
File: featured.png (1.26 MB, 1240x701)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
>>2725337
So. By raw numbers of species that's absolutely correct. But lots of species in the east are hyperlocalized and not representative throughout their area where in the west what diversity we do have tends to be more evenly mixed. Which results in a comparatively high Simpson index that's more indicative of what you'll see on any given day hiking.
>>
>>2725400
In my personal experience in the south east species are hyperlocalized but there is also bleed over depending on soil conditions, soil moisture etc.

And when I say hyperlocalized I mean hyper. You might have a hickory hammock one acre, a cedar/holly/oak forest in the next, a big swathe of live oak bottomland, then a black gum swamp, then a cypress swamp, then a red oak longleaf pine upland, then a chestnut oak/overcup oak/magnolia bottomland. A beech dominated block here or there.

And those are just sort of general categories and they will bleed into each other. And each one will have their own mix of less common trees and understory trees in there. But in a square mile or two you might see all of those things. I've never seen anything quite like that out west. And honestly I've never even seen anything quite like it slightly north in the Appalachian region.
>>
>>2725337
>diverse range of flora
>per sq mile
Its true- in any give acre of the east there are likely more types of trees than a comparable western acre.

And yet conversely there is a more diverse range of flora and fauna in the West than there is in the east. fascinating isnt it?
>>
>>2725395

damn it sure looks like a dream!
the Fins love those berries, I'll definitely have to give them another try.
>>
>>2725400
>what diversity we do have tends to be more evenly mixed
Seems like a cope. Why is hyperlocalization bad? Seems like it would make finding a patch of rare plants much more memorable.
>>
>>2725448
Take a state like Colorado- there are only what? Like 50 native tree species total? That's really not that many and alot of states out west have even less.
>>
>>2725508
So? trade offs anon. fewer types of trees but much, much more beautiful. a fair trade to be sure.
>>
>>2725511
That's exactly what I've been saying- there are tradeoffs, spectacular views but relatively sparse for the lover of plants and woodlands.
>>
>>2725521
Yes, you are correct. The West is more beautiful. I prefer the diversity of the west to the monotony of the east. but to each is own lol
>>
>>2725526
Like I said, if I was a woman posting pretty pictures on Instagram I'd want to be in the west lol. If I hiked every few weeks I'd rather be in the west.

However, if I actually lived in the woods, spent all my time in them, loved the woodlands and the plants that compose them beyond a "scenery" sort of level- I'd rather be in a big wetland in the south east. To me the woodlands are much more than just pretty scenery.
>>
>>2725530
>the woods

Sure. But what if you love mountains or the desert?
>>
>>2725511
>fewer types of trees
Fact
>much more beautiful
Opinion
Learn the difference
>>
>>2725530
>To me the woodlands are much more than just pretty scenery.
As are the woodlands, Mts, foothills, plains, deserts, rainforests, coastal ranges of West. You just have to have a mind that is open to seeing that instead letting autism dictate your obsession over 20 different types of oak in your backyard.
>>
>>2725543
>COPE
learn to swallow
>>
>>2725540
Then you would be best suited to live on a mountain or in a desert. But if you love the woods, dont live on a mountain or desert.

>>2725544
I have spent more than a few hours... more than a few hundred hours probably piddling around looking for various oak seedlings to transplant kek. And I'll probably be in the dirt before they get mature but for me there is no better time spent in the woods. And the oaks are just the tip of the iceberg really. The real jackpot is finding trilliums and trout lilies maybe Bigleaf Magnolia or something. Green Ash too.
>>
>>2725173
Most states of the far western US far outstrip every single eastern US state in overall plant diversity, overall animal diversity (mammals, reptiles, birds, insect and fungi), and some western states do in fact outstrip half of the east coast in overall tree and shrub diversity. Let alone climate and topographic diversity. The Alaskan tundra and the Alaskan rainforests by themselves separately have more plant diversity than the entire great plains of North America. Mountains/hills = greater biological, topographic, and climate diversity. This is well documented. There's still 6 feet (1.8m) of snow on the ground right now in parts of Arizona and New Mexico while other parts of those states are in the 90s F degree temps.
>>
File: The Sky Islands .jpg (173 KB, 1200x800)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>2725677
>There's still 6 feet (1.8m) of snow on the ground right now in parts of Arizona and New Mexico while other parts of those states are in the 90s F degree temps.
This is why there is water in the desert. The joy of water towers
>>
File: DSC00829a.jpg (2.7 MB, 2560x1920)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
>>2725699
That and subsurface water will be pumped up certain topographic features and will find the path of least resistance to exit the feature, naturally. Most of the spring waters are actually from underground aquifers that follow topography, and local snow and precipitation does not always indicate aquifer health, as the entire crust of the earth is essentially a giant sponge and has liquid water. For example, almost every single low desert wash has water flowing through it beneath the surface, even in the 120F temps and 4" of annual rainfall climates. The water flows back to the ocean both above and below ground, and gets pumped up and down topographic features.

To see an example of people taking advantage of this in extreme climates (let alone in beautiful mountain forest regions with plenty of rainfall and snow and shade cover with water at the surface already) look up middle eastern qanats. Due to natural pumping action via pressure and topography, natural springs will emerge at both the tops of mountains, and at the bases of them in canyons. Central AZ alone has thousands of such springs which ultimately end up in the Salt, Verde, Gila or Colorado rivers. Beaver dams also historically raised the ground water levels across most of the west, in some areas where they've been reintroduced permanent flows returned in sections for the first time in 150 years (see San Pedro River, AZ).
>>
>>2725677
Have you finally showed your face again Arizona Anon? If it's you I think you know where we left this last time- you wouldn't take me up on the offer.

Also this is from the Alaska Dept. Of Fish and Game:
>Compared to lush tropical and temperate forests, Alaska's boreal forest is an austere place: it supports a relatively low diversity of species, and a relatively low abundance of individual organisms. But the plants and animals that do live here are well-prepared for the bitter cold, short summers, and frequent fires of Earth's largest ecosystem.Those that remain have unique adaptations to help them thrive year-round.

And anyone who knows anything about plants should understand, there is no way possible for a place with such a harsh winter to ever have as much plant activity as a place that is borderline tropical and humid kek. I mean you have one place that gets frigid for months of the year and another place that is a greenhouse that MIGHT get a hard frost every year kek. Do the math bozo.
>>
>>2725544
>you just have to like what I like instead of what you like
Pass
>>
>>2725811
>cant acknowledge the West is more than just pretty scenery
>doubles down on cope
many such cases. sad!
>>
>>2725850
>can't acknowledge that everyone has their own opinion and that those opinions are in no way required to be the same
Sad indeed
>>
>>2725855
>gets BTFO
>obfuscates the obvious
>copes more
lol
>>
>>2711671
>t. has never been more than ten miles from Barstow
>>
>>2725801
Your delusions are persistent, but in time you will awaken to the truth that is ever present in reality. Biological diversity is not solely a function of climate or forest cover and it never has been. And yes, the Alaskan tundra has more than 2000 species of native plants in an area smaller than Texas. Sweden as well with its much more temperate climate has more species than the American great plains. Arizona by itself has more than 4500 native plant species not counting fungi or lichens and a further 900 animal species also not counting fungi, lichens, or insects (AZ has over 1300 native bee species by itself), spread throughout each biome. Arid Nevada (which is the most arid state and half as forested as states like AZ-NM-UT-CO) has a comparable number of native plant species to a state like humid Kentucky. And new species are counted every single year. Life adapts to its conditions, there are arctic plants and insects that thrive in freezing temperatures, and there are extremely arid crop plants that survive and thrive on 3" of annual rainfall and produce a prolific crop.
>>
>>2726133
I'm so sorry that you live in beanerzona
>>
>>2726144
The region in which I live in Arizona is 90% white over an area of more than 20,000 sq miles. You preconceptions of various things are all delusions.
>>
>>2726145
Congrats you live in the American equivalent of Orania.
>>
>>2726146
You can't refute any actual data so instead you resort to racial statistics and geography statistics. You'll lose on both of those as well. The racial stratigraphy of the entire western United States outside of a handful of metros is similar to my region, 90% non-hispanic blue eyed 6' whites. You don't want to analyze the racial stats or stratigraphy of the south or even east coast anymore.
>>
>>2726149
Don't worry the beaners are coming to yout flyover shithole county soon :)
>>
>>2726150
The state actually got whiter from in the 2000s because of easterners and midwesterners leaving their shitholes to come here, albeit most of them moved to the shittiest locations thankfully. You live in the south and you seriously want to choose the racial hill to die on, be my guest, you'll lose. Those flyover "shitholes" in the mountains will continue to be white 100 years from now, because racism actually still exists here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.