[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1688392663200608.png (322 KB, 1553x1202)
322 KB
322 KB PNG
>west virginia
>3
Holy shit I share a board with plebs
>>
>>2713414
I'm gonna post the Rainbow Gathering thread and the Colorado 14'er thread since you're shitting up the catalogue with this.
>>
>>2713414
Huh? when was this survey?
What's the results for Evrope/the rest of the world?
>>
>>2713414
i hate living in illinois
>>
>>2713414
We should have a new poll
>>
wait tfw
>New York's score
>Pennsylvania's score
>Vermont's score
>Nebraska being a 0
Whoever made this never leaves the most populous areas of each state.
>>
>>2713414
That map is old and was intentionally created to troll. You’re the one shitting up the board
>>
>>2713429
delusional eastoid
>>
>muh /out/ score is too low
consider it a blessing if you think its wrong
>>
>>2713429
Nebraska is a flat plain of fuck-all nothing.
>>
>>2713510
Don't they have some interesting areas in the west?
>>2713427
Same, I would leave but Chicago is disney world for jobs.
>>
>>2713509
This is true. North Georgia and north Alabama are so nice it is a good idea to be secretive. The area is not crowded. It even seems like the US Forest Service follows each states lead by having fewer rules and regulations. Maybe the lower traffic volumes allow the government agencies that maintain these areas to be less restrictive.
>>
>>2713508
I live in Colorado and my favorite states are Idaho and Oregon. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate other areas.
>>
>>2713427
>>2713533
Tbh why do you even post on /out/ at this point? You live in a mega bughive. Going outside is foreign to you. So is wildlife, walking, smog-less skies, clean water, and fresh air.
>>
I live in central Ohio but Southeastern Ohio is pretty nice. Just wish they had some more jobs so I could live there permanently.
>>
>>2713533
Western Nebraska has some ok federal lands but it's not amazing. Still it's way better than Kansas and Iowa.
>>
>>2713572
>I live in central Ohio
I'd be embarrassed to admit this bruh
>>
>>2713414
West Virginia should be at least higher than Virginia, Maryland should be a zero.
>>
>>2713414
Assuming the scale is out of 10, how is Alaska not 10? Where in the world would be 10? Kamchatka?
>>
>>2713414
Is Wisconsin really that close to New Mexico or that much superior from West Texas? Only driven threw WI but have a hard time believing that.
Also West Texas ought to bring that state up to a 3 at least, Sand Hills give NE a 1 and SE Oklahoma gives it a 1. I can't imagine living in the East..
>>
>>2713533
>Chicago is disney world for jobs
Brother im struggling finding one, ive been laid off 3 times in the tech industry
>>
>>2713414
>>2713582
Imagine getting memed on this hard
>>
>>2713602
The tech industry is completely dependent on the fed fund rate. The tech industry is a bunch of ponzi schemes that depend on a 0% interest rate to allow malinvestment in the hype cycle humps. All the "hurr durr I make $400k/yr as a web dev" jobs are 100% just ponzi schemes being paid for by retards dumping money into the stocks of the company. Tech produces very little actual market value compared to the hype investments when everybody gets free monopoly money to throw around. The federal reserve *MIGHT* lower the interest rates back to methhead levels again soon. That's when you job hop and ladder climb titles. If you want stability then work for the feds at the FBI or EPA or some other worthless agency. You'll get paid less but you won't be laid off everytime the "market" takes a shit.
>>
>>2713582
Alaskas winter sucks and in summer they have swarms of mosquitos so thick satan himself must have sent them
>>
>>2713571
I have vacation days and I can dream. I'm closing in on a remote position. If it's secure then I'll move to Utah.
>>2713602
F. I'm in warehousing and manufacturing and I've gotten offers from the last 5 companies I've interviewed with. Hoping to make it 6 soon.
>>
>>2713426
>survey
Holy fuckin newfag Batman
>>
>>2713571
I never go out anyway. I just read news and browse image boards and seethe. At least I live in a "1" state. I could be in a "9" state and that would be a waste. So at least I am not taking anyone's place.
>>
>>2713692
Fuck off we're full
>>
>>2713656

This is accurate and with wage growth at like 4 fucking percent there isn’t much of a reason to imagine steep rate cuts anytime soon.
>>
>>2713776
That’s not what apartments.com says.
>>
>>2713791
Not that anon and not a Utah resident but it is mostly desert. Fuck off, they're full.
>>
>>2713414
>hawaii
>6
lol
lmao
>>
>>2713414
Wisconsin being a 5 and better than VT or NY made me laugh a bit. Maybe if all you knew was the Midwest then WI would look like a /out/ paradise but it's unironically a 2 or 3 at best. MI and MN too.
>>
I live in NC, and NC grades higher than WV? No way.

NC is split into three distinct parts, the mountains, piedmont/foothills, and coastal plains. The coastal plains are some of the worst /out/ territory around, unless you like swamps (not judging if you do). Hot, flat, wet, sandy, with mosquitos that abduct small children. The mountains are great /out/ territory, and the piedmont is okay. But better than WV? WV is beautiful, and as long as you don't get eaten by a cannibal inbred methbilly, a cool place.

I have to assume many other states have similar divisions.
>>
>>2713951
Is the inbred methhead thing really as big as most people think?
>>
>>2714048

No, not really, but WV is pretty poor, and so is much of Appalachia. Like actual appalling poverty and most people don't realize how bad some parts of it is.
>>
>>2713936
Then why are there tasteful apartments for $1,100 a month?
>>
>>2713951
>you like swamps
Yes I do like hiking cranberry bogs in New Jersey's Pinelands. I feel like swaps are under appreciated. The solitude is so magnificent. Most people have no idea. They think NJ is an urban blight next to NYC. Therefore it is a "1". More solitude for me.
>>
>>2713426
Its a meme map made to troll the east coast
>>
>>2713692
What specifically in warehousing/manufacturing? I’ve considered starting a career in that sector
>>
Texas is higher than that. I’d give it a 3
>>
>>2714101
this whole board is a meme to troll the east coast
>>
>>2713657
Alaskan here, yes the winters indeed suck, please do not buy proper clothes, please do not come here. Never come here in the summers or any other season either, the mosquitoes and tundra sinkholes will eat you without a trace. It is also actually very ugly. One big meth town. Do NOT come to Alaska.
>>
>>2714120
My sister is going to fairbanks for military welfare right now
>>
>>2713951
>The coastal plains are some of the worst /out/ territory around
I have lived in coastal areas and loved them. Fishing and camping from boats is tremendous fun. The key to enjoying /out/ on the southern east coast is to use a boat to get around instead of your car.
It is legitimate /out/ when you use a boat. You just use your boat to get around to the small coastal islands you want to camp on. I also like fishing and enjoy the sunshine also.
People that disregard the inland freshwater lakes, intercoastal waterways and off shore fishing available on the east coast of the US are really missing out.
>>
>>2714120
Secret is out, anon. I /out/ in AK twice each year. It's the real deal though. Eff up and find out.
>>
>>2714078
Shhhhh
>>
>>2714192
I would definitely go back to NJ for the stuff that's along the Delaware River, but I dunno if I wanna drive a few hours just for a bog, even if it is quiet and there's no one there.
>>
>>2714193
>i would definitely go back to NJ for the stuff that's along the Delaware River
Broken glass sparkling beautifully at the bottom of the river and negros tubing down the dangerously polluted water gap? Beautiful garbage littering the high water mark on both sides?
>>
>>2714115
Engineering
>>
File: shutterstock_275634467.jpg (222 KB, 1400x788)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>2714117
That's only possible because the east coast is so inferior. We've been west to see it.
>>
>>2714434
but why bother trolling them?
>>
>>2714450
Where do you think you are?
>>
I live in a zero state (Iowa)
Save me from this place
>>
>>2714434
>We've been west to see it.
that explains the stock photo?
>>
>>2713414
Alaska should be a 4(its basically off limits 9 months out of the year. Unending darkness, mosquitoes, and snowpack. I wouldn’t leave the rocky mountains or cali.
>>
>>2714491
Didn't have time to climb the mountain pictured to get a better shot. Had to get to Boise.
>>
Those of you who live in CA, I know nature is top tier, but how do you handle everything else (you know what I mean)?
>>
>>2714523
>how do you handle everything else (you know what I mean)?
what do you mean
>>
>>2713570
The point was that the entire eastern and central US is in fact objectively trash by comparison with most of the western US and most of Canada. The eastern US is overpopulated, over utilized, has industrially polluted water, air and soil (the highest such levels in all of North America) and thin stickly over harvested forests. "But" "muh I know a spot" etc is in fact cope. The fact is that there are better spots even in Europe with similar or greater population densities that have objectively better quality and variety of outdoor environments than the central and eastern US. The chemicals that are in the water are the kind that provably make people infertile and stupid, and it's the same chemicals and pesticides they use in America's food supply, including "healthy" and "organic" labeled stuff. Some of the only remaining non-directly polluted trout and fishing streams and hunting habitats in the US are in the western US and even those are still micro-polluted (still 100-1000x better than eastern and central US fish streams and habitats) from the air (into both the water and soils) from jetstreams flowing from the Pacific and east Asia. Some habitats in the eastern and central US are among the most polluted in the world (at or worse than china tier).
>>
File: 1665151183749518.png (623 KB, 512x512)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
>>2713414
>New Mexico
>6

Yes keep ignoring New Mexico. There is nothing good going on over there. Stay the fuck away.
>>
>>2714620
Why are you bumping this thread?
>>
>>2714623
it would be nice if we could actually discuss east coast hiking but everyone is too terrified of "revealing their spot" so its doomed to be shitposting about state vs state and gear faggotry instead but I guess that's what you want
>>
>>2714625
>discuss hiking
That's what this board is for, newfag.
>>
>>2714627
but nobody does because they don't want to reveal their spots so nobody is ever actually talking about specifics, except for west coast stuff
I get it, that's how you want it, but then don't complain when the threads are gear discussion and state ranking
>>
outside of zion utah kind of sucks
arizona is better
>>
>>2713414
>Nebraska
>0

Give me a fucking break. More like no one here bothers to leave the Omaha area and go northwest where all the good hiking is
>>
>>2714631
>>
>>2714598
>most of Canada
Most of Canada has the same problem central and eastern US does. BC and Banff are the highlights, not the norm.
>>
>>2714665
It's a flat state.
>>
>>2714668
Most of Canada is unpopulated and without heavy industry or agriculture 100km or less from the border, even in the east, and on the actual coasts. The most pristine areas of the eastern coast of North America are in Canada. And the central Canadian plains actually have huge forested regions with monolithic hills and they still have all their native predators and ungulates.
>>
>>2714668
>Most of Canada has the same problem central and eastern US does
??? most of Canada's landmass is sub-arctic and arctic wilderness
>>
>>2714668
What.
>>
>>2713571
Illinois person here, i live about half an hour south of the city and have a forest preserve half a mile from me and a bigger one like 2 miles away. I still need to leave though please god let me out.
>>
>>2714631
>Wasatch and Uintas suck
>rafting Desolation Canyon sucks
Hello casual
>>
>>2714722
>float permits booked out 2 yrs in advance literally everywhere
>poop bags in the kayak
Fuck utah. You would be better off bringing up park city slopes anyway
>>
>>2714805
If you float in April, permits are first come first serve starting December 1st the prior year. That's a better time to do it anyway as there aren't any bugs and it's not a billion degrees.
>>
>>2713414
/Outofthecloset/ state scores v2.0
Makes sense now
>>
>>2713414
>treefag is mad at the chadwest
>>
>>2714855
>the west is fun
>you just have to plan your activities 5 months ahead of time and secure a paid permit or you could get arrested for being /out/
wheeeeeeeee
>>
>>2714805
Btw, you must be thinking of the Grand Canyon. There's no way in hell Desolation is hooked out 2 years in advance
>>
>>2715033
*booked
>>
>new york
>maine
>virginia
what a dogshit list
>>
>>2715033
Last I was looking was at canyonlands
>>
File: New-river-Gorge-2.png (1.19 MB, 940x788)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
>>2714434
East coast fags don't get it. This is my favorite river on the west coast. Isn't it beautiful? PNW4lyfe.
>>
>>2715092
I think most are ignorant of just how much beauty is in the west. I've seen places along highways in the west that would be state parks in the east, but aren't in the west, simply because they aren't exceptional.
>>
File: 20150626_191819.jpg (4.23 MB, 5312x2988)
4.23 MB
4.23 MB JPG
>>2715092
Based
>>
>>2715223
The biggest thing easterners don't fathom is the sheer scale and size difference.
>>
>>2715250
This. The county in which I live is a little smaller than Connecticut
>>
>>2713414
Man this is retarded. New York up through maine is easily 6-8.
Minnesota is at least a 6 based on BWCA. Michigan needs a specific rating for the UP.
>>
>>2717006
Nah. Maybe a 5. I like Maine, maybe as much as a 5.5. but taken as a whole. Nah.
>>
>>2717006
>tiny cuck states with shitty gun rights
>>
>>2713414
>a fucking 2
tennessee bros... is it over?
>>
>>2717255
there's a comfy strip of high plateau in TN I really want to get out to this year
>>
>>2713414
Virginia too, people forget about the Chesapeake bay and the eastern shore, beaches, swamps, the blue ridge parkway, southern VA is full of good hunting grounds for deer and duck.
>>
>>2713577
Fuck ni it's literally just mountains. We have the eastern shore which is underrated af. Also the great dismal swamp.
>>
>>2713414
>Posting the same troll picture that's been posted for the last 10 years
Enjoy getting your (You)s faggot
>>
>>2713414
bump
>>
>>2713414

Tennessee is out the state you fcuking retards.

Never mind all the waterfalls and big game, it’s the only place in the country where a town is inside a state park. There are so many trailheads in Monteagle that the town is inside the boundaries of the park.
>>
>>2722168
>bragging about a state park having a town inside of it
Doesn't sound very /out/ to me
>>
>>2722168
>big game
>400 Elk
>19 permits per year
lol
>>
>>2722177

Biggest Deer outside the Great Lakes and the South generally has small skinny deer.
>>
>>2722168
Brainlet take Tbh
>>
>>2713414
>california
>8

top kek
every out style video i see on shorts is some fucking faggot kid talking like your stereotypical zoomer with a ton of lingo and """"quirks""" like say bruh or someshit and with a ton of gear. and like the latest technology

top kek
>>
>>2713574
>Still it's way better than Kansas and Iowa.
Kansan here, not gonna argue with you. There is next to nothing in this state as far as public land.
>>
>>2722291
tell me about topeka
what happens there
>>
>>2722289
Nah. California unequivocally has some of the best nature in the entire world and some of the worst people. Having one does not preclude the other.
>>
>>2722265
>we're #6 yeah!!
>participation trophy
>>
>>2713414
This map filtered a lot of people huh
>>
File: IMG_1064.jpg (1.76 MB, 2625x3500)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
Any good two day hikes in PA? I want a comfy 1 night of camping as I trek. Preferably a loop but I know taht can be hard so as long as I get spit out on a place I can hitchhike/or even call a taxi.

Maybe I should pick a portion of the Appalachian trail in PA?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.