[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: huntingkit.jpg (1.66 MB, 4080x3072)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
What do you guys hunt with? Whether its small or big game
What kinds of guns/bows/knife equipment do you use/recommend
>>
>>2713475
Uberti repro 1886 for deer
Benelli Monte Silver for fowl
>>
File: 20240321_174117.jpg (3.53 MB, 4032x3024)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
Last few years I've used an Interarms model X in 30-06, but I just picked up a Winchester XPR in 308
>>
>>2713475
I fell for the scout rifle meme and I have no regrets.
>>
File: 1709220937914.jpg (3.73 MB, 3251x4335)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB JPG
>>
File: idf0il5dpnja1.jpg (1.01 MB, 2367x2197)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
I strictly hunt with 9mm pistols because that's the only weapon I carry, the only weapon I'm going to have available in a survival situation, and I would not pack anything heavier into any kind of bugout bag, so I don't see any point in developing skill sets or dependency on any other type of weapon. Going to the grocery store and buying meat is much easier than killing animals with 6-8 pound rifles that I'm not going to have on hand in any situation where I have to kill my own food out of necessity so I don't see any point whatsoever in hunting that way. It doesn't accomplish anything. If you think I'm trolling then by all means explain to me what exactly the value is in killing animals with non-EDC weapons that will be left behind the moment any kind of disaster strikes.
>>
>>2713658
>wings deer
>limps off into bush and starves to death slowly
>Self-obsessed retard: OH WELL HAHA
>>
>>2713679
> Exactly the same as bows and arrows that humans have relied on for 99.9% of history

git gud
>>
>>2713475
Wouldn't you like to know what guns I own, fed boy.
>>
>>2713475
Deer/Elk: Custom 7mm WSM, mcmillan stock, swarovski 5-25x52 scope
Waterfowl/Turkey: Browning A500 12ga hand me down
Pheasant Quail: Browning 20ga over/under, can't remember model off top of my head, gift from grandpa for getting hunter's ed done.

When I'm not paying for training in hopefully another 6-12 months and am flying as an instructor I want to redo my deer/elk rifle to be similar to my dad's setup, and also get a new waterfowl shotgun, looking at the beretta a400 xtreme plus, though not sure if I want to go 12 or 20. Probably still do double duty as a turkey gun so I'd like it to be able to easily mount optics on, but a purpose made 20 or 28 pump might be best for that anyway.
Rifle upgrade I'm looking at switching to 7 PRC, a lighter action, XLR stock with the folding adapter, and getting a trust for a suppressor for it. Probably swapping on dad's old Schmidt & Bender scope. This is all into the future though as I plan on shifting to a more tripod/spotting scope system and that's a whole slew of upgrades as well including my pack. I want to push more into backpack hunts since where I live the big game is pushed deep in from high hunter intensity.

For hunting you can generally go one of two ways, either a high quality (read expensive) blade that won't dull quickly and have a sharpening tool incase, or you can go a cheapo disposable blade knife like an outdoor edge. Both have pros and cons. Higher end you can run a traditional fixed blade either in your standard buck knife or modernized style or skeletonized like the Argali or Montana Knife Co speedgoat. With MKC be sure you get magnacut, their ball bearing steel knives can rust if they go into the sheaths bloody.

I have never used a bow.

>>2713658
Larper.
>>
Whitetail
> 350 legend AR-15
> Henry(no side gate) in 45colt
> 50cal muzzleloader
> Compound or recurve bow

Squirrel
> Any number of 22's, 12ga's, 20ga's > if I'm feeling it my .32 muzzleloader or 20ga flintlock Fowler

Turkey
> Mossberg 535 with a .640 choke and tss
> Husqvarna SxS choked XF/F with lead handloads

Ducks/geese
> CZ over under 12ga
> Old western arms long range SxS
> Above mentioned Husqvarna 12ga
> Shooting 2 3/4in 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 bismuth handloads
>>
>>2713822
>hurr durr larp
>failed to provide explanation, only spouted the universal meme for mad autists
Opinions discarded
>>
>>2713822
You sound like someone raised in suburbia who discovered the outdoors in his 20s
>>
>>2713475
AR10 for durr and elk, 10/22 for squirrels.
>>
>>2713475
Savage Axis 2 in 6.5 for deer/hogs
Remington 870 Express (pre QC failures) in 12 Guage for dove/duck
CZ 457 suppressed in .22lr for small game
>>
>>2713475
>What kinds of guns/bows/knife equipment do you use/recommend
The caliber of gun will be determined by your location and the size of the animal you're hunting. The brand should be determined by what feels best to you. Bows and knives are subjective. You'll NEVER use a knife for hunting, so just pick one that looks nice and is well made. If you're hunting deer then you'll need a knife with a gut hook so you can field dress it.
Also 0H000
>>
>>2713801
meh. they already do.
>>
>>2713871
Yeah, the trends do be kinda gay urbanite with all the joe rogan/meateater hunters dropping in, but I don't mind jumping on their bandwagon to save 4 pounds off my rifle. Suppressors are great to use hunting, but if you don't make other adjustments to use one you end up with a giant flagpole catching tree branches and other crap. I finally got to the point I can start buying my own gear and guns instead of using hand-me-downs too big or too small, so I'm a bit nerdy on it.

>>2713835
Go bait somewhere else.

>>2713904
Good post but I would argue you don't need a gut hook, it's just nice to have, same for a saw.
>>
>>2713904
>You'll NEVER use a knife for hunting, so just pick one that looks nice and is well made
what did he mean by this
>>
>>2714023
>private sale, pay cash
>seller doesn't bother to verify license
>never post pics
>pay cash for ammo
>only shoot in the middle of bum fuck nowhere
All perfectly legal, literally no way to know. Canadian law enforcement has estimated the number of unrestricted firearms at between 10 and 20 million, and that's as specific as they can get.
>>
Call me autistic, but I just go innawoods with my mosin and a tarp to drag the deer on. It's just a hunting stand on my property though, so it's not like I need to transport a deer 15 miles or amything
>>
>>2713696
People that say “git gud” are fucking fat gay losers
>>
>>2713871
Takes one to know one
>>
Last seasons deer kit. About to gear up for turkey though.
>>
>>2714487
Also use a 6.5 CM Bergara B14 during fun season with a Vortex. I like how it shoots but if I could do it all over again I’d have gone with a 308.
>>
I shoot deer off my porch with a CMP garand every couple years. Usually just grouse and pheasant with my 686 sporting.
>>
>>2713475
12 gauge 870 wingmaster
Marlin 336 classic in 30-30.
I have lots of guns, but I only really hunt with those two. Don't ask me why. Just feels right.
>>
File: 1000017874.jpg (369 KB, 1000x1250)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>>2713475
For deer, I use a Remington 7600 in .30-06 during the rifle hunt and an Excalibur Exomax crossbow during the bow hunt. I use Skre gear in Summit or Solace for camo, depending on the conditions.

For waterfowl and turkey, I use a Browning BPS in 12 gauge.
>>
File: GH4GOE1WkAAjmai.jpg (1.13 MB, 3840x2160)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>2713475
Is there a comprehensive guide to getting started hunting for basic stuff like deer on the east coast? Environment isn't anything crazy so the gear should be simple but I really have zero hunting knowledge and no friends to give me tips.
>>
>>2714535
Plenty of books out there for a more in-depth look instead of short articles on the Internet. I got Steven Rinellas Hunting, Cooking, and Butchering Wild Game Vol. 2 which covers small game. Vol. 1 Covers big game of course. It goes over gear and weapons, licensing, tactics, different species, and field dressing.
>>
>>2714535
>get loicense
>get gun
>practice with said gun
>go inna woods
>don't step on twigs or dry leaves
>aim right above and behind the elbow on a durr
>make it regret not being made in God's image
Simple as
>>
>>2713522
just imagined this fag awkwardly posing like this while trying to take a picture and shuddered with cringe
>>
Thompson Encore in 308, goes good. Slender and balanced for twisting and weaving in the woods and nice and quiet to load. Guns gotta feel good in the hand for 20 hours and shoot good for 20 seconds.
>>
Had a buck in view today, but never for a proper shot because that absolute fucking asshole was always inside some bush and then behind different trees.
How to deal with that feeling of a missed accomplishment? I know it's part of hunting, but it always bothers me more than it should.
>>
>>2713475
I'll be going on my first spring turkey hunt next week. I'll be bringing my 28in Winchester SXP 12g shotgun. I'll be shooting #4 kent's fast steel. I've been practicing box, slate and diaphragm calls. I've got First lite camo and an ALPS turkey vest, with seat and kickstand. There are a ton of turkeys up at the spot I'll be hunting, so I'm feeling pretty confidant.
>>
File: Winchester SXP.jpg (269 KB, 1865x503)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
>>2715045
>>
File: Carlson TKY Choke.jpg (276 KB, 1853x540)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>2715055
I'll also be using a Carlson's .650 turkey choke. It doesn't say it on the tube but it's also rated for steel #4 or smaller.
>>
File: Savage 110 Scout 308win.jpg (319 KB, 1879x545)
319 KB
319 KB JPG
>>2713903
I have a Savage 110 scout in .308win. I have a 2-7x32 Burris scout scope on it. If I could go back, I'd buy a non scout 110. Finding a scope with long enough eye relief was a pita. But that aside, I love how the rifle shoots. Under 1in groups with Barnes Vortex 168gr ttsx at 100 yards.
>>
>>2713475
I use .17hmr for all small game, from the size of a hare downwards.
If I am hunting in a area with much more dense foliage then I will use .17hm2 instead.
I use 7.62x39 for all medium game. You can find seriously explosive hunting loads for it.
I've never hunted deer or anything that size but I want to go on a buck hunt and can't decide between .270 or .308 for it.
>>
>>2713515
>Winchester XPR in 308
Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?
If so hows the accuracy?
>>
>>2715446
Not yet. Trying to get a free weekend to hit a friend's place and make sure it's sighted in. There's a lot of open space next to his property and wild hogs go by regularly, hopefully I can get some fresh meat.
>>
>>2715058
Any particular reason you're shooting steel? Because a .650 is way to much choke for steel #4. Steel usually shoots its best patterns with a more open choke something along the lines of modified choke.
> If you can grab a box of longbeard xr #6's, they're the best performing lead loads ive ever seen.
>>
>>2715463
I'm shooting steel because I'm in a lead free state and I'm not paying $10+/round for tungsten. I tested 4,5 and 6 in two different brands of steel and one of hevi shot through this choke. The #4 kent fast steel patterned the best at 30 and 40 yards.
>>
>>2715489
Understandable tss is overpriced for 12ga. I'm surprised the #4's patterned well out of a extra full choke but shotguns are weird with what they like.
> Hope you have a good hunt
>>
I use a sporterized 1917 mosin that i got for free for deer. barrel chopped to 24 and stock chopped, looks like pic rel. i considered fixing it but it's a fine beater gun as is. I use spam can shit for practice and whatever the store has for hunting.
>>
I keep obsessing over slingshot hunting small game. Anyone tried it?
>>
>>2713475
upland game and small game
rabbit squirrel pheasant pigeon crow duck coot
could do deer but i dont wanna
too cold in Dec and my state makes you use .35 caliber or above and i dont own a rifle in that nor do i have a desire to buy one purely for that purpose
>>
>>2714611
Ok nogunz
>>
I have an r700 30-06 and a charles daily 20 gauge autoloader
>>
>>2715723
No we aren't canadian. Buy an airgun
>>
>>2715583
Huh reminds me of my m44 mosin carbine but with no bayonet. Kicks the fuck out of your shoulder with the tiny stock. Also none of my wifes friends or my manlet friend could actually cycle the bolt which was weird.
>>
>>2715723
Fowler, Alone season 3.
>>
>>2714611
I was having the time of my life, hunting with 2 friends. nice judgement and projection lmao
>>2715891
based
>>
File: 16481264189412.jpg (33 KB, 1024x1024)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
anyone do any hunting with air guns?
>>
>>2713475
Dunno. This isn't /k/. Digits, check em.
>>
>>2713679
>its hard to take an average sized deer with a pistol
Go outside
>>
>>2717887
No, we're not felons, we can have real guns.
>>
>>2717888
Hunting is an /out/ activity, don't like it, don't open the thread. Fuck of hall monitor, no one likes you. No one needs you to police which board what belongs in.
>>
The wild should be abundant.

Hunt parasitic invasive people instead.

The world is sick.

Here’s some good stories:

Some sorts tried to raise the prices of all the housing in a town, but then those sorts disappeared and the meat became cheaper and the soul of the true community began to thrive.

Invaders walked into town. But the farmers there saw them as less worthy of life than the humble beasts the farmers were supposed to feed em. The farmers did what farmers did. Invaders disappeared.

A group tried to build a church in an indigenous town. The girls/goddess burned down the church and the group all disappeared without a trace. All the nearest police ignored the case and prevented the sus further “police” from investigating

Some complained that inland America is brutally anarcho collectivist with harder lines than North Corea. Such and such. Housing and are free. Our people love and truest live.

It can be muttered that hunting rifles are poking out from every bush in the spreading lands of the true locals.
Anyone who values soul is well aware of what’s implied by TRUE locals

ruthless wholly-independent girls with guns are pushing turf and are utmost meticulous about the slightest vibes.

Also regards to farm-to-table.
Cancer gets cut off.
>>
File: Bichs.jpg (356 KB, 1242x2208)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
Sako 85 in 7mm-08
Sako 75 in 7x64
Voere 98 in 9,3x62
Grandad's heirloom full-stocked Steyr Stutzen in my favourite schizo cartridge: 6,5x68
Steyr AUG for varminting (with a Z8i - it looks schizolicious)

For optics I use Swaro Z8i 2,3-18x56, dS 5-25x62, and Z8i+ 1-8x24 for driven hunts on the Voere.

>>2713822
I don't like the short fat magnums. I used to have a .270 WSM Sako Carbon Wolf and the case would hit the base of the scope upon ejection and drop back into the ejection port, ultimately causing a failure to eject and making it impossible to cycle the next round. The .280 AI is a much better cartridge and design to be honest.
>>
>>2713475
Is that a Bergara btw? I checked out the B14 HMR once, it was kind of shit; bolt felt gritty for a modern R700 push feed clone. It was also way too heavy for me to want to take hunting in any amount of technical, mountainous terrain (which is everywhere where I live).
>>2713831
>> 350 legend AR-15
Ewww, I bet the deer cringe in disgust of being hit by such a hideous cartridge.
>>
>>2714079
I think they meant you're not killing anything with a knife, so it doesn't matter as much?
>>
>>2718238
In that case he's wrong. The grind and profile matter a lot for skinning and cleaning.
>>
>>2718206
Unfortunately they die of cringe after the bullet hits them.
> I fucking hate straight wall cartridge laws bro
>>
Toz 78 .22 for rabbits
Henry Sidegate .30-30 for pigs & deer
>>
>>2713475
thinking of getting my gun loicense soon. Im a leaf cuck tho

why don't people hunt with WW2 rifles? I hate the overly accessorized looks of new guns
>>
>>2717972
you are a nigger and no one likes you
>>
File: SMLE No 1 Mk III.png (914 KB, 1920x823)
914 KB
914 KB PNG
>>2718380
>he says from leafland, where 99% of all hunters hunt or hunted with an SMLE
From what I've read, there were millions of them in excellent condition in leafland in the 2000's and early 2010's. You can probably still get an SMLE that isn't too clapped out yet for $1-2k.
>>
>>2718380
New rifles (even the really cheap, ~$350 variety) are typically more accurate than the majority of milsurps because of modern machine manufacturing processes.
>>
>>2718380
>why don't people hunt with WW2 rifles? I hate the overly accessorized looks of new guns
From a fellow leaf who's taken my 1917 Eddystone /out/, it's because they kind of suck to hunt with. They're heavier, as much as I love iron sights they're significantly harder to use than scopes and wood and bluing deteriorate faster in the field than polymer and stainless steel and ceramic coatings. There's a reason our grandfathers chopped up their $20 SMLEs and bubba mounted scopes to them, it's because they wanted to put food on the table and sporterizing service rifles made that easier.
>>
>>2713520
The styer scout right? I've been considering getting one after I fully restore my chink SKS to at least somewhat former glory
>>
>>2715895
The glorious mossin nuggat has chosen you. Be glad.
>>
>>2713475
Is there any /out/ hunting guides? I want to get into it and have solid info for field dressing since I'm admittedly a bit too in my head and worried I'll fuck up somehow, and I don't want to have to chum every fuckup I make.
>>
>>2718755
>Is there any /out/ hunting guides?
Yeah, it's called having a father.
>>
>>2718759
>My old man was a college dweeb who went to college
Sadly I'm more rural than him
>>
>>2718806
As if these things were mutually exclusive. My dad is an engineer and taught me everything I know about hunting and the outdoors.
I'm afraid you are, quite frankly, ngmi.
>>
>>2718755
Just look around locally, you can go on guided hunts first to get some confidence. >>2718759 worded it like an absolute retard but is right, best to go with someone (guide or just experienced) instead of being the guy who "read something somewhere".
>>
>>2718759
NTA, but My dad never hunted and never taught me anything about it. We very rarely spent any major time outdoors together. Most we ever did was a bit of fishing

>>2718755
Me and a friend decided together we wanted to learn to hunt. We both got all the info we could from acquaintances and other friends and from the guides and regs and shit in our area. He inherited some guns and we went off together a few times and got our first white tails together. Realistically thinking back on it, there wasn't much to learn to get started honestly. There are some really good youtube guides for field dressing. They all do the same shit too, so you can get different angles from different videos, and lots of people use different gear. If you've ever gutted anything, it's not much different, just way bigger
>>
File: Buck broken (it's over).jpg (1.88 MB, 4032x3024)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>2718859
>worded it like an absolute retard
No, I worded it in a way that hurt your feelings because you're palpably personally emotionally invested, Tyrone.
It's not anyone's fault your dad didn't stick around to teach you the basics of manhood, just as much as it isn't anyone's fault that I am clearly the superior man and hunter.
>>
>>2718870
>i was only pretending to be retarded
Never change
>>
>>2718870
Lmao. Have a (you)
>>
I use my shtf rifle for hunting since that's what I'd use for survival. Easy to handle and lug around. Lotta people say 5.56 is to light a round. But those same people can't aim worth a shit. Got pic rel last season. Bit small but he was good eatin. 5.56 is also perfect for the ranges you'll see a deer here in the Ozarks. Not to mention how great it goes through brush.

>>2717974
Deer have no natural predators retard. They'll overpopulate and starve without hunters. Dumbass.
>>
>>2718899
*Moldy labia decal*
Lol, Fag.
Nice deer though.
>>
>>2717974
Big titty alt girl fingers typed this
>>
Depends on what/where I'm hunting. I live in New England. On good weather days hunting deer a savage 99 in .300 savage. On bad weather days Ruger sfar. Old pse brute for bow. Out west a Christensen arms Ridgeline in .300wm. Tika t3 in .308 for everything else. In the process of building a modular western hunting rifle off a Zermatt TL3 long action to replace the CA. For birds a 12ga Beretta A400 or a turkshit CZ drake in 20ga. Knives are whatever. For knives I have a Benchmade that's alright but also use a lot of disposables.
>>
>>2718960
If you can't tell I'm left hand master race
>>
I'm going to take the scope off my Marlin 336 and go back to the irons with it. I'm going to put the scope on my 458 socom upper and maybe hunt with that this season because that sounds like a good time. A very expensive time, but a good time.
>>
>>2718960
>.300 savage
>.300wm
>.308
What's the point of owning 3 rifles in the same caliber, but in a marginally shittier cartridge each time? The CA makes all the others you have obsolete. Sell the shitvage and shitka and get something in .223 and .17 HMR for varminting and small game.
>>
>>2718981
Just say you've never been /out in deep woods from the start so I can stop reading.
Open sight lever gats are where it's at hunting in that environment. Maybe a 1-4/6 lvpo. You'd get laughed at in deer camp with a bolt action, especially one as long as some of those christensens.
>>
>>2718851
Maybe but by God I'm gonna try.
>>2718859
>>2718868
Thanks lads for clarifying and to clarify I wasn't ragging on my college edu old man, I love the bastard and he provided how he could. I hope to process my first kill successfully and finally give him back something I busted my ass for.
>>
>>2713475
whitetail
>winchester 1895 in 30-06
bird/turkey
>remington model 11 12 gauge
coyote
>colt m16a1
moderatively dangerous game
>cetme/g3
squirrel/small game
>marlin 795
>sometimes remington model 11 depending on how/where im hunting
knife
>m2 paratrooper knife for skinning
>m3 combat knife for big knife stuff

I either dress up as a 1960s congo mercenary or brendan frasier in the mummy. I am severely autistic but still get pussy.
>>
>>2718870
>slav acting like he had a father
lol lmao even
>>
>>2718759
My dad taught me how to fish, and took me camping as a kid. He's never been a big game hunter, though. I'm having to learn how to do it myself, not only for my own benefit but for the ability to teach my own son how to hunt as well as fish. It's a bit intimidating, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. I'm definitely envious of people who grew up hunting with their family. I'm excited to be able to share that with my own children.
>>
>>2714452
Based
>>
>>2717974
What
>>
File: 20221210_221132.jpg (985 KB, 4032x3024)
985 KB
985 KB JPG
>>2713475
suppressed 22/45 for anything coon sized and smaller

suppressed 11.3" AR for coyotes

suppressed Bergara Ridge 308 for deer
>>
I want to get a cheap recurve bow for target shooting, any recommendations? Will I get ripped off buying one of the $90-$120 ones on amazon?
>>
>>2713475
30-06 and some boots
>>
>>2720754
pse nighthawk goes for $170.
Completely take down, and they do sell limbs for it if you wanna get heavier or smaller limbs
When i was doing archery for giggles i bought one at 40lbs. I no longer use it but im not willing to sell it
>>
>>2720856
mostly did target shooting in my parents backyard since it's about 120 yards back there
>>
>>2720754
also those 99-120 dollar ones are great for absolute beginners but the wax on the bowstring wont last for shit and the shit craftsmanship will just increase the chances of that shit snapping on you dry fire or not

better to get it from a reputable brand than cheap
if you have a local archery shop id go there. Those places can be a mixed bag in terms of customer service
>>
File: file.png (250 KB, 1290x852)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
>>2720865
>>2720856
I ended up ordering this bundle off amazon cause the bow had lots of good reviews with pics and seems OK, if it feels too cheap i'll return it, amazon is great with that
there is a shop near me I plan to check out as well, i'll need a couple child-sized bows for when my nieces visit
I'm not a total beginner, I used to run the archery/rifle range at scout camp but that was almost 20 years ago and I'm pretty out of practice since
>>
>>2720881
Unless you're in a major city, you'll probably have a Tractor Supply and feed store somewhere in town. Hay bails are a lot cheaper targets and as long as you're just using field points they last a long time. That target you bought is nice, but it's really small. Get three hay bails and stack them up. They're also a great back stop for that small target.
>>
>>2720902
yeah I'm planning to pick some up as backers, I just wanted something with smaller marks to hit
>>
File: 20240416_234312.jpg (1.71 MB, 2268x2563)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
I've been working on teaching myself to use the three main turkey calls; pot, box and diaphragm. I've bought about half a dozen different cut mouth diaphragms. I can cluck, putt, and purr but I'm still working on yelping. I can get it right sometimes but I'm not consistent. I bought a cheap Strutt raspy hen set to give the box and pot calls in that set a try. The box call was by far the easiest to learn. I was able to consistently make yelps, clucks and purrs. It's also very easy to cut on. The frosted glass pot call was another story. It frustrated me for several weeks before I decided to try another inexpensive beginner pot call. I chose the Primos power crystal after watching several videos on its ease of use. Starting from a completely fresh crystal and conditioning it myself was easy enough. I'm no longer worried about fucking up a better one sometime down the road. After watching a video on how to hold the striker and changing my hold from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock I was yelping, clucking, cutting and purring in no time. I still can't get consistent sounds from that strutt pot call. But I'm very pleased with my ability to consistently make good calls on the new primos call.
>>
Gonna go deer hunting for the first time ever this coming season.
>>
>>2721534
Awesome! What type? White tail, Mule deer or something else? Bow or rifle?
>>
>>2721538
Going to get a general deer tag, so I can take either White Tail or Mule. Likely going to use a rifle as I have no experience with compound bows, and won't risk shooting one at an animal until I know that I can do so humanely. There is a 3d range nearby that I'm going to check out. Maybe if I really take a shine to archery and practice consistently until deer season then I may try to bow hunt.
>>
>>2713475
hi mark whats the stuff in ur pic?
>>
>>2721821
stolen off of reddit
>>
File: IMG_2735.jpg (736 KB, 1512x2016)
736 KB
736 KB JPG
>>2717887
yep, for hares, rabbits, doves and quail.
jsb hades all day every day
>>
Looking at getting my first durr rifle this week. I think I've settled on the Ruger American Predator. I want something in .308 and the threaded barrel and overall length are plusses. Anything else i should consider without going any more expensive?
>>
>>2721949
look into the overall weight with whatever glass you're also thinking of getting for it. also depending on species and location, which magnification and other feature ranges are you getting with your scope.
>>
>>2713658
for fun?
or do you only do things based on their actual benefit in a survivalsituation?
>>
>>2721821
>>2721841
The absolute state of this faggot board
>>
>>2717974
ywnbaw
>>
If Zombie Deer Disease / CWD / CJD is so dangerous and hard to detect/cure, why don't we just exterminate deer and be done with it, instead of letting it live and brew into an Extinction-Level Event?
>>
>>2717887
Yes but since I got my silencer for .22LR I haven't thought about it much. It is nice to be able to have what would be a factory hearing safe SBR without having to pay a stamp for it though.
>>
File: 20240421_080437.jpg (2.81 MB, 4032x3024)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
>>2715446
Good grouping, but with the synthetic stock the balance is forward of what I'm used to.
>>
File: 20240421_080510.jpg (3.2 MB, 4032x3024)
3.2 MB
3.2 MB JPG
>>2722823
These were both ~60 yards with no prop
>>
File: Kek.gif (1.98 MB, 190x190)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB GIF
>>2722823
>>2722824
>4 MOA
>good grouping
>>
File: 20240421_182711.jpg (3.57 MB, 4032x3024)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB JPG
>>2722872
Sighting in new rifle, not using any support, a few shots have connecting holes, all close enough grouped to drop a deer. Here's one we had to check because we couldn't see where the 2nd shot hit.
>>
>>2721937
.177 or .22 or something else?
>>
>>2723360
First black bullpup (Stoeger XM1) is a .22
wood stock break barrel (Crosman Vantage NP) also .22
the big PCP (Effecto PX-5) is a .25
and the PCP with he green sling (SPA PR900) is a .22 as well

out of all of them my favorite is the bullpup, around 900fps with jsb 18.1gr. insanely accurate, i can lie down in the field and target individual daisies up to 75m away, feels like clicking on things on the screen, just press the trigger and poof they explode. put on the element helix 4-16-44 scope i had on the .25 on it, it's excellent. The .25 PCP is cool too, but too heavy, and i'm not very accurate with it. IDK I might sell it and buy a second Stoeger Xm1 but in .25.

Wanted to buy a .22lr for hunting season now but all the clubs nearby won't pick up the phone or answer emails, they might be inactive, dunno, but need to be a part of a club to shoot regularly here.
>>
>>2722872
That's not bad at all for 100y offhand, especially if he's using cheap range lead like PMC and not a hand load that he's matched to his rifle.
>>
>>2723463
~60 yards, using someone else's hand loads, first time shooting the rifle. A mix of fmj and lrn
>>
>>2714137
>What are routine mapping flyovers stored indefinitely in server farms for later review by agencies for everything from spotting growers to just checking up on the innawoods folks/militia mapping.

Try harder sweaty. They know.
>>
>>2723366
>Wanted to buy a .22lr for hunting season now but all the clubs nearby won't pick up the phone or answer emails, they might be inactive, dunno, but need to be a part of a club to shoot regularly here.
ingerland?
>>
>>2713520
R u sure? FoV must be awful
>>
>>2717888
/k/ is unbearably ignorant and retarded. The youngest zoomers getting into guns are impossible to teach or inform of anything. They have truly been bred to be cannon fodder in whatever upcoming wars.
>>
>>2723758
/k/ is just gay
most dont own guns and are just retarded war tourists from r*ddit screeching about how much they love ukraine
>>
>>2723500
Ok, that's terrible then
>>
Nor Cal fag here. What can I hunt (besides jackrabbit) with a slingshot or handgun? My girlfriend got into archery recently so I could steal her bow for a day too
>>
>>2724395
With a handgun? Nothing, legally. With a slingshot, only non-gamebirds. The only two any means birds in California are starlings and English house sparrows(both invasive species)

If you can use the bow, they will open up most game opportunities in California. You can hunt with a bow during general season(rifle/shotgun) as well as archery season. If you can own a handgun, you should look into a long gun of some sort. With a shotgun you can hunt any gamebirds. For larger game, you'll need a center fire rifle.
>>
>>2723756
NTA I also bought into the scout rifle meme. FOV is great, it's finding a good quality scope with 9-12inches of eye relief that's the hard part. I went with a Burris scout scope 2-7x32.
>>
>>2724426
Thank you. I was thinking shotgun already, but will have to save up for that. CA and my area specifically is great for waterfowl hunting.
I was planning on hunting hogs, but the landowners here are really picky of who they let in if they allow anyone at all (most dont) but im fine with waiting on that.
>>
>>2724345
Good enough for the deer.
>>
File: Get good noob.jpg (1.24 MB, 2016x1512)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>2724657
>Good enough for the deer.
4 inch group at 60 yards?
What's that, ~6 MOA? With handloads?

Lmfao. Even horrible cheap shitsticks like Ruger muttmericans come with a 3 shot 1 MOA guarantee these days. You are just coping about having a rifle that either isn't bedded properly, has a fucked up barrel, or being a terrible shooter that doesn't understand the basics of marksmanship. Probably all of the above.

This is the groups my 6mm Sneedmore produces at 220 meters (240 yards) with 6.9g Norma Golden Target.
>>
>>2724712

See>>2723032
>>
>>2719134
excellent waifu autist-kun
>>
>>2713475
T3X UPR in .308, use it for everything from birds to moose.
Use a mora for gutting and parting out, looking into getting a more suitable knife at some point, but autism makes me obsess over details, so haven't found the right one quite yet.
>>
>>2722823
>>2722824
Jesus christ, you don't actually hunt with that?
That's animal cruelty, fuck, it's like throwing dice wether it's a good hit, gutshot or miss.
You seriously should consider shooting yourself instead.
>>
>>2722872
>>2724345
>>2724712

He said unsupported you retarded bench shooters. I'd like to see your standing shot groupings.
>>
>>2725834
Stop feeding the trolls....they're talking shit, they're not serious. They've probably never even shot a rifle.
>>
>>2713658
you need to be 18 or older to post here
>>
File: 20220919_124800.jpg (1.29 MB, 4032x3024)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>2725834
Wish I still had my target from the 30.06 100 yards two years ago unsupported I was aiming at the ends of the X. Oh, here it is.
>>
File: Seethe nigger.png (707 KB, 605x761)
707 KB
707 KB PNG
>>2725834
>just shoot free hand while testing how accurate €100 match ammo is
Smartest nogunz nigger.
Picrel is my group of 5 with my 9mm SIG with iron sights at 50 meters/164 feet. Now show me how your 5 MOA groups with your ruger muttmerican.
>>
>>2713475
I use a gun
>>
>>2714611
Fucking kek
>>
>>2726116
>Euro
>meters
Disregarded
>>
>>2726126
We Euros are much better shots than stinky brown muttoids. This is verifiably true simply given our history and geography. We‘ve already been making guns and fighting wars when muttmerica was a savage forest inhabited by shitskin indians. Also, all 7mm and 6.5 calibers are European and much more balisitically capable than the mutt .30 cal. And lastly, I have a foreskin whereas you are a genitally mutilated mcgoblin.
>>
File: Image (7).jpg (354 KB, 768x1024)
354 KB
354 KB JPG
Went shooting long range this weekend, got good hits out to 700-something meters, but unfortunately no hits on the 15x15 cm taget at 1000.
Was using my hunting rifle and ran out of clicks on the scope, had to hold 3 mil over, was close but no hit unfortunately.
Need to get .243 bullets so I can load up some ammo for my very budget precision rifle, but it's way more capable than my .308 out past 800 meters.
Also learned that I need a taller bipod, a 20 MOA rail and probably try to find a good load with Scenar 175 instead of 167, as the BC is much improved and the signature as well.
Tried shooting a bit from the barricades as well, and it went better than expected, as I haven't practiced much with those, too much load development autism.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.