[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: monutain cat.webm (2.86 MB, 1280x720)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
>>
File: surogate.png (534 KB, 1049x495)
534 KB
534 KB PNG
>cat can summit without any gear
Gearfags eternally BTFO
>>
not fucking much
tallest ever was a pass between south and middle sister, the ONE time ive ever really been above the tree line and it started raining almost immediately and we had to huddle in our tents
thats about 6500ft

normally it tops out mostly around 4500 ft here there's a tiny bit more like 5500ft but yeah mostly 3-4 thousand feet usually
i dunno why you are all so obsessed with numbers and competition
go climb everest and do the appalachian trail if its just a branding exercise to show off
>>
File: reviewbrah spotting.gif (1.44 MB, 277x202)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB GIF
How do I into climbing without getting killed?
Highest I ever summited was Wheeler Peak in Nevada, and that was just walking all the way up.
Friend wants me to Long's Peak in Colorado with him this Summer, then Mt. Rainier sometime in the next couple years, and if I tried either of those now I feel like I'd just eat shit and die.
How would you get as good as possible
>in just four months
>in northern Utah
>semi-employed so time/driving distance isn't an issue
>>
>>2714551
6800m
>>
File: Schesaplana.jpg (1.41 MB, 2048x1536)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>2714551
2800m or around 9000 feet, went hiking in switzerland.
I love being above the treeline and just walking around on rocky fields, being able to see for miles.
Pic from wiki since I don't want to post my own
>>
I shoot deer
>>
Probably about a kilometer, but I'm just estimating
>>
I drove to the top of pikes peak once. Ok my dad actually did the driving, but I was in the car too.
>>
Does it count if I drove most of the way up?
>>
>>2714551
10,000 feet. So not much. Rocky Mountain National Park.
>>
>>2714551
Whitney. Now what?

>>2714579
Based, just as outdoors as anything else. It's not a competition, it's for personal enjoyment.
>>
>>2714551
5220 meters
Idk how mano feet is that, probably like a million feet.
>>
File: IMG_9794.jpg (170 KB, 1200x900)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>2714551
19,341 ft
>>
>>2714551
Your mum.
>>
Mt. Torbreck (~5,000ft)
Other than Mt. Cooper & Mt. Sugarloaf being the only 3 mountains I've summited. Mt. Cooper is a dormant volcano with awesome views of Melbourne.
>>
>>2714808
I worked it out, me and my father climbed from 400m to 1800m, then back down to 800m, then up to 1350m on another mountain range where my dad shot a stag right on dark, then descended to 800m again and then carried the deer down a 12km gorge to 400m on 1 long hot day, 38c In town. I've got to get that fit again, I felt like such a goddam Chad. Probably 35km all up but not larper through hike terrain, real stuff.
>>
File: Verda48a.jpg (408 KB, 1200x800)
408 KB
408 KB JPG
Monte Cinto, Corsica
2,706 metres (8,878 ft)
>>
>>2714555
Is that his mother are partner? She's cute
>>
>>2714551
4 013 metres in New Mexico when I was a few months shy of 9 years old. Haven't been to the US since that, and Euro mountains get much more technical and dangerous at lower altitudes than that.
>>
>>2714551
The mountais where i live are strange, theyre round, not pointy so most of them dont have a trail and are in private property or you just cant climb it, but the ones i could climb i guess it was 400mt, im planning next year climbing the CaparaĆ³, 2000mt and a two day hike.
>pic related is the round mountains
>>
>>2714555
Attend a mountaineering course and read the book "Mountaineering: the freedom of the hills"
Acquire basic gear like mountaineering boots (important for stability, warmth and crampon compatibility) crampons (at least semi automatic/hybrid crampon with a rear lever, require a heel welt on boots), an ice ax (long and straight, for walking, not the short and curved ones for ice climbing) and a helmet.
Learn how to self arrest and self belay using the ice ax. Practice a lot to get it into muscle memory.
Don't fall. Don't fall for summit fever either. It's better to turn around and live, than to summit and die. A quote from mountaineer Ed Viesturs comes to mind: "Getting to the summit is optional, getting down is mandatory".
And lastly, respect the mountain.
>>
Denali, 20300 ft. some day i'll summit a eight thousander. real prep and serious money and time off work goes into those.
>>
>>2714551
12,080 ish? From the valley floor at 5500. That was a pretty steep day.
>>
>>2714947
Both.
>>
>>2715948
So you already summited the tallest mountain.
>>
>>2714551
The highest one in my country, 1014 m.
Sad we don't have mountains any more.
>>
>>2716151
why'd they get rid of them?
>>
>>2714552
He was such a fag
>>
>>2716283
Couldn't afford them anymore.
>>
>>2714551
Pikes peak 14k
>>
>>2714551
75,436 ft
>>
>>2714551
I've done a few 14ers and don't care to go any higher

https://www.outsideonline.com/health/training-performance/are-mountains-killing-your-brain/

https://www.amjmed.com/article/s0002-9343(05)00674-1/fulltext
>>
Onions
>>
>>2715865
This is Brazil?! These are stunning.
>>
I climbed Mount Whitney which is over 14k feet.
>>
>>2719610
Same.
>>
>>2715865
It is fairly controversial in the mainstream, but there is evidence of pleistocene glaciation of mountains in southern Brazil. The rounded mountains in your pic are just a couple examples, you can also find examples in North America, Europe, Patagonia in Argentina/Chile, and Antarctica. Spikey spire like peaks which are rounded in between, and in every other location I listed the leading geological opinion is that they were formed by glacial (or sometimes fluvial, ie flood erosion) action during the LGM. When you start studying into the younger dryas and the completely opposite shift of climates in many areas around the world, it's not so strange (green Sahara becoming a complete desert, almost the entire southern both eastern and western US shifting from tundra forests and parkland to their current subtropical and varied climates etc.). And like I said you can see almost the exact formations in other parts of the world where it is accepted that it was formed by glacial (or sometimes fluvial) action, where the still pointy areas that are less rounded were only lightly or not completely covered by the ice for as long (like in parts of the Alps in Europe and even Antarctica), and the rounded saddles between the peaks were covered in thicker ice for longer periods of time. In the US there were permanent glaciers at 31-35N during the LGM and tropical glaciers were much lower in elevation (eg, glaciers at 19N were lower than 3000m). Also speculative but on older (16th century, believed transcribed from much much older sources and passed down) sea maps the Antarctic glaciers are depicted as connecting to and traversing deep into all of South America from the Antarctic peninsula so that there was no southern sea route between the Pacific and the Atlantic at one point. The geologists that do acknowledge the evidence of glaciation as far north as Minas Gerais (and as low as 600m ASL), try to claim that it's from well before the pleistocene (with little evidence).
>>
>>2714551
9769 meters, in mars
>>
Mount Audubon, 13,229 ft. For some reason I just never got into hiking up tall mountains -- probably because it interfered with crag climbing.
>>
about 900 meters actual. there's nothing really high nearby.
>>
File: 5213215.jpg (142 KB, 1000x800)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>2716283
We didn't really have option.
>>
Whitney
Langley
Elbert
Wheeler
Humphreys
>>
Ben Nevis in Scotland
>1400m
>not very high
>>
>>2714551
17,855 feet, I'll leave it as an exercise to you to figure out which one I'm talking about
>>
Mount Mitchell in NC
>>
>>
>>2715900
What this guy says
He's a professional larper and you can take his word for this theoretically correct response

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.