[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hgm387.png (954 KB, 669x889)
954 KB
954 KB PNG
pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87

New USDA zone map has been released: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/

Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hügelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, City Slicker Composting, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting, Alpaca, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

previous: >>2710237

Someone give the lowdown on trellis materials. Pressure treated wood and vinyl plastic seem to be the cheapest and easiest options. If I grow a blackberry vine on pressure-treated wood, will it absorb any of the chemicals from the wood?
>>
>>2715587
Kinda looks like hairy testicles.
>>
How well do living willow fences actually perform long term? how much of a cut back do they need on what sort of interval all I can find online seem to be new plantings
>>
>>2715598
Millions of peaches. Peaches for free.
>>
>>2715587
>If I grow a blackberry vine on pressure-treated wood, will it absorb any of the chemicals from the wood?
Eventually the chemicals will end up in your soil and then they will definitely be taken up by your plants. If you want to treat the wood use tung oil.
>>
File: IMG_20240403_142549_33.jpg (771 KB, 997x693)
771 KB
771 KB JPG
>>2715587
How do I keep my tomato plants alive in 36°C heat and high humidity
Some bastard bird ate my tomatoes and shat out the seeds everywhere
Now I have pioneer plants growing on every single container
Picrel is said pioneer tomato in my mint tray
>>
File: 1701734689746454.jpg (1.77 MB, 4000x2250)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
wtf these were $16 each plus shipping, Burpee can tongue my anus
>>
>>2715639
>random ninjas attack out of nowhere
>>
File: IMG_3087.jpg (1.3 MB, 1500x2000)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
Saturday can not come soon enough when I can start up blocking all the peppers to go in the greenhouse during the day and giving all these tomatoes some room
>>
Is anyone else growing pure American Chestnuts?
>>
File: bIMG_2569.jpg (442 KB, 1100x825)
442 KB
442 KB JPG
Decided to go with a 1/2" pvc pipe dome roof for the greenhouse. I glued dowels inside the end of the pipes to reinforce the bolt holes. And used a U bolt to lock where the pipes cross, it is surprisingly rigid. The geodesic dome tee I found was out of stock on Amazon, and it would have cost twice the price of item just to get it shipped to me.
>>
File: bIMG_2567.jpg (337 KB, 1000x750)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
Also framed out the door. The area above the door will be the vent. I was able to attack the upper beam with spare brackets from the gazebo. As someone suggested in the previous thread I'll probably used self drilling screws to attach the plastic.
>>
File: block2.png (744 KB, 576x659)
744 KB
744 KB PNG
>>2715601
Oops, just saw the thread died so I'll repost.
I built two soil blockers with wood to test it this year. One produces blocks around 2in long, almost 1in squared area on top, the other 2.5 in square area with a hole the size of the first block, 4-5 in deep.
My plants seem happy for now, I just moved some peppers to the big blocks.
>>
>>2716029
nice, first year doing blocks?
>>
Planning to start a garden in the next week or two once it finally warms up. I'm going to start small and expand as I get better.

Two dumb questions: does it matter where I get my seeds? I want good, healthy seeds and I figure buying some off Amazon is probably not a good idea, but I'm not sure.

Second question, is there much of a point in planning the design if my garden if I'm starting out growing a small amount of zucchini and Swiss Chard?
>>
File: block1.png (1000 KB, 557x879)
1000 KB
1000 KB PNG
>>2716040
Yes, mostly for limited space and air pruning the roots seems interesting.
>>
>>2715940
I'd like to use this 3/4" thin pipe trick for the door / vent closure, but I haven't had luck finding anyone who sells it. I'll have to phone around tomorrow having exhausted all the stores that have their inventory online.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXPdRs1vd1g
>>
>>2716047
nice, you'll be amazed how fast the roots start to blow through the bigger blocks.
>>
>>2715765
I know they are a good investment they just cost a lot.

>>2716027
>>2716029
Nice work. Is it just a wooden frame with wood stamps to press the blocks out?

Do either of you think something like an ice cube tray, or a silicon tray insert would work fairly reliably?
>>
>>2716085
>Do either of you think something like an ice cube tray, or a silicon tray insert would work fairly reliably?
I would think so, you would have to drill holes in the bottom of the lower tray and use a second tray to squeeze the water out.
>>
>>2716041
>does it matter where I get my seeds? I want good, healthy seeds and I figure buying some off Amazon is probably not a good idea, but I'm not sure.
You want to get seeds packaged for this year. Older seeds will germinate at a lower rate, but you don't want to pay full price for old seeds. The best companies will have their germination test results on the packet/bag of seeds so look for that. Try local companies. I found a seed warehouse in my city that does will call orders and now I rarely use any other supplier.

>is there much of a point in planning the design if my garden if I'm starting out growing a small amount of zucchini and Swiss Chard?
I like random, unplanned gardens, but you should put a little thought into it. Make sure your zucchini has enough space. Consider looking up a list of companion crops for zucchini and chard to get more variety, fewer pests, and sometimes improved flavor. Trap crops like nasturtiums can also help keep pests off of your vegetables.

I think you should also consider using charged biochar and compost to amend your soil and apply it yearly to maintain fertility. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>2716088
Excellent tip. I wouldn't have thought of the hole. I've seen people make bigger soil "blocks" by packing more dirt around small blocks with their hands, so between that and the ice tray I might not need a real soil blocker after all.
>>
>>2716085
>Nice work. Is it just a wooden frame with wood stamps to press the blocks out?
Yes that's exactly it, especially for the smaller one. The stamp on the small one has a screw at the end to make a hole for the seed while the bigger stamp has a piece of wood screwed in, the size of the smaller stamp.

For the ice cube tray do you mean cutting one side open to be able to press the blocks? It might work but you'll end up with very small blocks I believe.
>>
File: 20230517-IMG_9554.jpg (2.02 MB, 2250x3000)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>2716090
you could definitely make a bigger block by hand. I was say to squeeze it out in your hands and go under, around and make a divot at the top for the smaller block. Once the roots grow into the new block they are sturdy as well. This is a 4in up block that we use to grow our cucurbits in until early June. I'm just holding it from the stem in this pic and totally secure
>>
>>2716089
Thank you, anon
>>
>>2716095
>Yes that's exactly it
Good thinking. I wouldn't have thought to make a wooden soil blocker.

I imagined pressing the soil into the tray by hand, wiping the excess away, and then flipping the tray and slamming it down to free the soil blocks the way some people do with ice. That other anon suggested drilling a hole and using a second tray to dewater the soil more effectively.

>>2716097
That looks good, anon. Currently I'm using toilet paper tubes cut in half and filled with soil. They not too hard to fill, air layer somewhat effectively, and I can fit 72 in a 1020 tray while giving each plug more soil then a 72 cell insert. I think soil blocks would be more effective and I wouldn't be limited by the number of toilet paper and paper towels rolls I go through in a year so I want to try them.
>>
>>2716100
No problem. The most important things are to have fun and learn something to improve your gardening every year
>>
>>2716106
>so I want to try them
We did toilet paper rolls a long time ago prior to soilblocking. It worked pretty good though I always had trouble with the cardboard not drying out. I just love the ladbrooke, they are pricey but I can knock out like 500 mini blocks in 10 mins and a 1020 tray which is 36 medium blocks in about 2 mins.
>>
>>2716231
The speed is also an attractive feature. It's the price that really drives me away from soil blockers.
>>
>>2716242
I think ladbrookes patent went up a few years ago because I'm seeing lots of different brands pop up the last few years. Same design and about 1/2 the price but I don't know how they work.
>>
>>2715587
>Black berry vine.

Grow some giant sunflowers. The stalks will support it. Then when they die, you can chop the stalks and save them. They're the same as bamboo and are very sturdy and great for turning into a trellis.
>>
>>2715801
Lots of water. Mulch will help the soil retain moisture.
>>
>>2716041
Amazon is fine. Just avoid zero stars and zero reviews. Or anything with a very Chinese name. Survival Garden Seeds, Everwilde, Outsidepride, Boston road farm, are all great brands that gave me strong plants.

The best are heirloom. You should first look up your growing zone. Then look up online "heirloom [plant] varieties" find a plant variety that is disease resistant, prolific, and either drought or cold tolerant depending on your climate. You can also go by how rapidly they are ready to harvest. You can even get small space varieties.

I love my space saver cucumbers from survival seeds on Amazon. The plant survived a terrible drought half dead the whole time and still gave me 12 cucumbers. The brand was Isla's garden seeds.

Choosing rare heirlooms that grow great where you live will also get you super easy to grow plants prized by chefs or a income from other people who want rare heirloom plants.

Also check out this companion gardening chart backed by studies and made by a university. I have a small backyard so I cram plants that get along close together. Makes it look like a wild jungle.

https://waldenlabs.com/the-ultimate-companion-planting-guide-chart/#mustard
>>
holy shit that was awesome 4.8 earthquake felt here in the Poconos. Plants are all ok
>>
>>2716246
I might have to cave before too long, but there are other things that I need to spend my garden budget on first, like redesigning my irrigation.
>>
>>2715801
Tomatoes are basically tropical perennials. Give them plenty of water and humidity and they'll live for several years. They prefer sandy soil and having their vines rest on the ground so they can root more extensively. Consider mixing a bunch of biochar into your soil to make it sandier without sacrificing it's ability to retain water. They also like to grow deep roots so try watering deeply and less frequently to encourage root growth.
>>
>>2716293
ahh, yea we live in an area where we can't leave anything out over winter so I just hand water everything.
>>
File: IMG_3093.jpg (3.56 MB, 2250x3000)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
one more day then I can start up blocking. Just don't have enough room in the grow tent until it starts warming up this weekend
>>
>>2716303
I'm in a similar boat. My irrigation system is mostly going to be above ground drip line with a timer system and drains at the low points to winterize it. It's a big property so that's more expensive than it sounds.
>>
>>2716306
it sucks. We have to be careful keeping anything plastic outside in the winter, after a year or so it just cracks in the spring.
>>
File: 20240405_183302.jpg (2.89 MB, 3024x3024)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
Fellas, I'm building a team...
>>
File: 1708123410880580.png (1.82 MB, 1000x783)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB PNG
Strongly fighting the urge to go back to the nursery and buy the 6ft tall one they had, these trees are just so lovely
>>
>>2716293
was thinking more about this. If I were you, and I'm not, but... I've been soil blocking since 2014. I'd get the 5 blocker, a bit smaller than the regular one but still large enough to go directly into the ground. You can't up block them with any of the ladbrooke blockers but you will get way more per 1020 tray than with the 2in blockers. I'm not sure how many. We're going to up block tomorrow but have to start some more so I'll add some pics of the 5 blocker. If I had extras I'd send them to you just so you could see how great they are, unfortunately we use every blocker
>>
File: PXL_20240405_155906582.jpg (2.6 MB, 2160x3840)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
Thistle chads, where you at?
>>
>>2716345
I feel you. The drip line I have has been holding up pretty well, but it's stiffer every year.
>>
>>2716379
have them all over the place. Love when they flower
>>
>>2716378
I appreciate the thought. I'd much rather deal with soil blocks then a million tiny pots or trays with larger and larger cells
>>
>>2716382
I'm not sure if its our location, the humidity in our house etc but we've never had luck with cells. Started some in a 72 air pruner from bootstrap farmer. We have a TON of 1020 trays from them. Still have issues with algae and poor growth (due to having to fertilize much earlier than soil blocks). Don't want to be pushy to everyone here but I really feel like soilblocks, no matter how you do them are superior
>>
>>2716388
The cells work fine for me, but getting the seedlings out without damaging roots sucks which is a big part of why I use the toilet paper tubes now.

What issues are you having with algae? My starter soil is covered with algae, moss, and various kinds of fungus and my seedlings love it.
>>
File: DSCN0677.jpg (2.58 MB, 2253x3004)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
>>2716390
no issues, just that my soil blocks don't get it other than seedlings like flowers that stay in the mini blocks for a while. For me, algae is being too wet, but don't have the issue with soil blocks. Here is a pic from two years ago at the growth between the two, both started at the same time, under the same conditions. There are marigold. only difference was left was soil block with soil block mixture and right was regular plug tray mix
>>
>>2716391
>>2716390
edit, you can see how much more wet the plug was. Everything was done equally
>>
I moved the pile of potting soil out of the garden today and put in my fabric pots just to get it out of the way. Ditto for the potting soil I had stuffed in the compost bin. I need to rake the leaves and straw off the garden and throw it in the compost so the soil can thaw, at least the patch where I want to start some carrots. All that stuff is insulating the ground keeping the cold in.
>>
File: wolrd hunger solved jpg.jpg (1.37 MB, 2421x2167)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
how to store oats? my dubia colony has almost 170 grown ups, i expect 5000 roaches every month, should be ok for 12 quail?
>>
>>2716391
>>2716392
Yeah, they benefit a lot from the air layering. When I use cell trays I try to move my seedlings up to larger containers before the roots find the edges, but that means that the smaller cell trays are being used more like seeding flats. One goal I have this year is to set up a high pressure aeroponics system for growing tomatoes or some other vegetable inside.
>>
NORTH ALABAMA IS ZONE 8 NOW
ITS FUCKING OVER
AL GORE WAS RIGHT
>>
>>2716430
Why don't you just feed the quail the oats or get chickens? What's the point of having the cockroaches at all?
>>
>>2716434
Yep. Do what you can, vote for people who care, and enjoy the ride while it lasts.
>>
File: 1691937440476862.jpg (437 KB, 4000x2250)
437 KB
437 KB JPG
>>
File: bIMG_2570.jpg (371 KB, 1000x750)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
Carrot incubator in place. Probably should have waited until tomorrow because the ground is frozen so I'll have to move it and level the ground so it sits flat after the surface has a chance to warm after moving the leaves into the compost.
>>
>>2716488
I wouldn't worry about frozen ground. If it was solid all the way thought I would worry...
>>
Bros, I bought my place about 8 years ago. Nice house. I have about 30 acres with the yard and adjacent lot included. I've turned the yard into an orchard (work in progress).

I paid about $150k for the house back when I bought it. The actual tax value at the time was $120k, which was obviously low. I've been bit for reassessments every couple of years and it was at $159k as of 2023. 3br, 2 ba, 2800 Sq ft, finished basement, attached garage, detached garage, and a shed. Today I got a tax reassment for my property and my tax value is now $430k. I make decent money but the median household income in my county is about 32k for reference.

I have never wanted to make everything off grid so bad in my life. Electric rates just went up 15%. Water rates (although I'd be classed semi rural I do get piped water from a local non government utility, oddly) are up from minimum of 43 when I bought the place to 60 (I almost never go over the minimum). And now my property taxes are going to damn near fucking triple. I was so close to installing a solar system but now I don't want to do anything that will increase the value of my property out of spite if nothing else.

The valuations went up all over the county and came out together. At my office we're all mad that our slightly over starter homes are now creeping up on a half million dollars somehow. County commissioners have said that property tax rates will fall to offset the valuation change but they aren't about to slash it in to a third.

You can never win, my dudes. You try and make an awesome self sufficient (ish) pad where you grow all sorts of shit, make your own stuff, do as much of your repairs and upgrades as you can, and the fucking local government comes in and wants a few thousand bucks more a year to give me exactly zero services that I give a shit about (fire is paid separately, which is one of the few services I do care about).

I fucking hate the government and I hate property tax.
>>
>>2716513
Definitely install solar. Consider collecting rainwater or digging a well so you can get rid of your water bill too.
>>
>>2716436
quail need more protein than only oats, are quiter, cleaner, need less space, lay egg by 6 weeks, are cuter, have more nutritious eggs
cockroaches are as a feed for quail, desu chickens would be happy to eat them too
>>
>>2716296
I actually plan to transfer them to a pot which has sandy soil with cocopeat mixed in
And yeah I'll make sure to water them more
Should I get some shading in place so that they don't burn in the sun?>>2716277
>>
>>2716296
If he's growing them in pots in those temperatures he's gonna have to soak them multiple times a day
>>
>>2716436
why the hate for dubias?
>>
>>2716436
you cant keep chickens in garage, but can keep quail, and they eat roaches
>>
>>2716568
You can get feed with higher protein content. You're just wasting feed by raising cockroaches.
>>
>>2716684
Yes you can, you casual.
>>
>>2716673
They're an unnecessary step. It's a waste of feed.
>>
>>2716726
>>2716727
>>2716729
by this logic youre wasting feed by raising chickens and you could eat chicken feed instead
>>
>>2716732
In a sense, but animal feed is made from the lowest quality crops and otherwise wouldn't be sold unless it were exported to a country with lax food laws. You lose energy and efficiency at every step and so putting effort into adding more steps is ridiculous. Especially when you can do something as simple as supplement the feed with pea protein, or gluten, or mix different proteins together for a better amino acid profile.
>>
>>2716738
quail eggs are more nutritious that chicken eggs, because they eat dubia, which eats cabbage for calcium, pumpkin for vit a and oats for calories
>>
>>2716745
Using them to try to increase nutritional quality is a better explanation than saying it's just for protein, but you can get the same or better results by feeding those to your quail and supplementing it with protein. I wouldn't raise another animal just to feed birds and get eggs unless it did something amazing for the birds or the eggs and I was selling them at a high price.
>>
File: bug.jpg (85 KB, 738x1600)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>2716753
dubia is easiest protein imagineable, just toss oats and forget them, they need almost no space
>>
>>2716755
Or you could toss the some protein in the oats and use fewer oats, but you do you.
>>
Starting my seeds for tomatoes and stuff today. 4 Weeks before last frost here in my zone (5B). Is that a bad time? Or am I just gonna lose maybe a few weeks? I remember I started a bit late last year and all the seeds I started inside did as well if not better than the ones I just put in the ground right at the start of may kek
>>
What's your guys favorite seed potatoes that are worth getting that you normally can't get just at the store or whatever ?
>>
>>2716775
bonus points if its in stock because I'm looking for fedco and realized I missed the boat on a lot of stuff :(
>>
File: bIMG_2573.jpg (155 KB, 1000x825)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>>2716050
I couldn't find thin walled 3/4" pvc pipe anywhere, it must not get used in cold climates. So I looked at the outer diameter for 1/2" pipe and the inner diameter of a larger pipe with regular wall thickness. I measured the 1/2" OD at 0.839, 3/4" thin walled is 0.93, and 1" PEX is 0.862. So got a piece of 1" PEX and cut out a chunk about 1/4 of the circumference. It snaps onto 1/2" PVC nice and toight. Even with 2 pieces of overlapped 6 mil poly plastic it can still snap in, so it should be perfect to attach the plastic to the greenhouse dome. With plastic between the pipes it is so snug I won't even need to use screws.
>>
File: hibiscus.png (1.82 MB, 1392x664)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB PNG
I am trying to get seeds from my hibiscus. Does anyone know if the quality of the flower matters? Normally all the flowers look like the left, but currently they are much smaller like on the right.
>>
Planting a bunch of summer bulbs in large containers with a fresh peat moss potting soil mix and I noticed that the soil is pulling away from the sides of the pots. Is it too dry? When I stick my finger in the top layer it still feels damp...
>>
>>2716775
Kestrel are goat all rounders imo. Charlotte are my favourite but they get rekt by disease
>>
>>2716597
Nah, tomatoes love the light. Just make sure their soil is freely draining and you keep them wet.
>>
>>2716621
If the pot is big enough it should be fine. If he's growing in something smaller than 5 gallons then he'll definitely have some issues.
>>
>>2716774
I'm in zone 5 and I'm starting my tomatoes. I just sprouted my brandywines and I have two fast growing cultivars that I'm starting next. I don't know if the brandywines will yield anything, but the other two bear fruit in less than half the time.
>>
>>2716810
It sounds like the soil you're using will swell and contract a lot with soil moisture. If it doesn't feel like it needs to be watered then don't worry about it.
>>
>>2716810
Sometimes the edges of the container dry out faster especially if it's clay
>>
>>2716765
what do you mean by protein? how do you think protein is made?
>>
>>2716791
>I couldn't find thin walled 3/4" pvc pipe anywhere

In EU, thin-walled PVC pipes are widely used as electrical conduits. They are used virtually in any kind of building, and additionally fire safety rules forbid putting electrical cables directly on wood, so all wooden houses/sheds must use electrical installations on stand-off, and PVC tubes on plastic stand-offs are cheapest and easiest to install for that purpose. You might have looked for the pipes in wrong stores.

Aren't those PEX the stiff multi-layer tubes that can be bend to form arbitrary shapes? If they are, then from my experience they'd be too stiff for a frequently snapped on and off door/vent..

>>2716810

I hate when that happens. It's no use watering unless you have a saucer under each one, for any water just flows through the pot right away.
From what I witnessed, it depends on the soil you use whether it contracts on getting dry.
Also, if the containers are exposed to sun, the walls get warmer and soil touching them dries faster.
>>
File: pepe035.jpg (16 KB, 600x384)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
I swear to god these aphids need to get the fuck off of my potted parsley or I'm going to have to drown the whole thing in a bathtub with the rest of my neem oil.
I think at this point the leaves have taken on so much diluted neem/soap and water spray that its probably toxic to use as a garnish.
>>
>>2716925
I all but killed my portulaca by constantly trying to rinse off the aphids. Switched to a dish soap spray and managed to kill them all on the first try but by then the soil had become so waterlogged that all the leaves fell off. Luckily it recovered and its producing blooms again.
>>
>>2716921
See
>>2716738
You can freely buy proteins made from a variety of sources.
>>
>>2716934
like what? onions boy? i would rather have protein from meat lmao!
>>
>>2716925
The aphids won't leave my peppers alone. Death to all aphids.
>>
File: bIMG_2574.jpg (116 KB, 900x675)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
Got all the clips cut for the greenhouse roof. Cutting the split gave me grief several times. It needed to be clamped in a vice but the vice would push the cut together. Towards the end of the cut it would come loose and pop out. A bunch of Dremel sanding to remove the burrs and round the corners at the edges.

Given the wind lately I'm going to put the greenhouse in its final location and anchor it before installing the plastic. I'll try to make it so one side can be opened completely for maximum mid-summer ventilation. I'm thinking about having it sit on the garden and use the frame to support strings for tomato plants so I don't have to deal with them outgrowing tomato cages as they often do.
>>
>>2716938
I listed two options in the post I linked. Why don't you look it up?
>>
File: file.png (478 KB, 770x600)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
Alright. Last year I used soaker hoses to keep my garden watered and it was a massive pain in the cock. I had to replace it too. it wasn't really super modular or anything either.

I wanna do something better this year, but maybe still low effort. Any suggestions? I'm kinda planting this underneath an old swing set (my mom won't let me pull it out for some ungodly reason) although I bet if I found the right sprinkler I could do it. Mainly tomatoes and stuff right here. I'm seriously lazy as shit so I don't wanna build some complicated system and I don't want it to be super permanent. I just want something that I can set up once and not have to worry about the rest of the season unless something fails
>>
Can someone recommend a good gardening book, maybe something for beginners or just useful reference information? Started growing my own plants with some help from friends, so far pretty successful, I want to learn more.
>>
>>2716991
gluten is oats and i refuse to eay s0i, basedboy
>>
>>2717026
Wrong. That's avenin. Gluten is wheat protein.
>>
>>2717024
Try Ruth Stout's "No Work Garden Book" and for a reference text on soil try "Building Soil for Better Crops" by Fred Magdoff and Harold Van Es. Most people I know like to use either "The Farmers Almanac" or "The Vegetable Gardeners' Bible" as a reference text for crops.
>>
>>2717066
>avenin
true
chatgpt told me gluten is toxic to dubias, pretty intresting
>>
File: IMG_1728.jpg (680 KB, 2048x1536)
680 KB
680 KB JPG
Opinions on perlite?
pic unrelated.
>>
>>2717017
Drip lines, lay them down, put a timer, connect to a hose and forget about them.
If you need they can be moved, branched out, shorted or extended pretty easily with modular pieces.
They are better for plants because they don't wet leaves inviting fungi and pests also.
>>
These localized violent gusts of wind are really starting to piss me off
>>
>>2717127
I prefer the same grade of biochar
>>
File: IMG_3105.jpg (2.77 MB, 2250x3000)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
60 soilblocks with the 5 blocker.
>>
File: IMG_3107.jpg (2.82 MB, 2250x3000)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
>>2717321
>>
>>2717321
>>2717322
looks tasty anon
>>
Is there a good resource for identifying seeds
>>
File: 1000001157.jpg (4.87 MB, 4000x3000)
4.87 MB
4.87 MB JPG
Is this a grapevine? my wife and I bought this house in January and this plant is behind it. I've been working out of town so I just saw it recently now that I'm home.

1/3
>>
File: 1000001158.jpg (3.03 MB, 4000x3000)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB JPG
2/3
>>
File: 1000001159.jpg (3.74 MB, 4000x3000)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
3/3
>>
>>2717374
Looks like a grape to me. It might not be a palatable variety though. Taste the fruits without swallowing any and see if it tastes like a grape or poison.
>>
>>2717384

It doesn't have fruit yet but it does have the tiny flower bunches. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
>>
>>2717394
Judging by the way it's been trellised I'd bet it's palatable, but I've heard of people doing weirder things.
>>
>>2717134
any recommendations?
>>
File: bIMG_2590.jpg (438 KB, 1200x900)
438 KB
438 KB JPG
It took all day but I got the greenhouse covered. After screwing around trying to hang plastic vertically I decided to tip it over so the side I was working on faced up.

I used vinyl siding under sill trim to hold down the plastic and spread out the clamping force. I picked that because it was the cheapest piece of plastic I could find in 10ft lengths. It didn't cinch down along its length like I had hoped so I had to use extra screws. For some of the pieces I cut off the nail strip to use at the mid point of the panels to cut down on billow flapping. I ran out so I need to get one more piece tomorrow.

Just a few finishing touches. Trim the ventilation flap and add clips so it can be locked open or closed. And install the door which will roll up like the vent flap.
>>
File: bIMG_2577.jpg (440 KB, 1200x900)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
Earlier in the day when I was installing the first side piece.
>>
File: bIMG_2583.jpg (168 KB, 1200x900)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
I did the dome first, the vapor barrier sheet was big enough to do it in one piece. To deal with the excess material I folded it over, then got a clothes iron, a wood block and some aluminum foil to heat bond the folded part together. Need to be careful because you can melt a hole.
>>
>>2717375
Those little bulbs are the grapes, odd shape though, probably because they're so small. 99.999% grape.
>>
File: 1000001122.jpg (3.6 MB, 4000x3000)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB JPG
>>2717470
>>2717400

Awesome, thank you guys. Now I have to figure out how to take care of this thing, I have zero gardening experience or knowledge.
>>
>>2717471
Good luck
>>
>>2717470
Your mom is 99.999% grape.
>>
I had a few pepper plants inhouse overwinter, it was all going well I even had few additional harvests, but sometime down the line the aphids came. I tried sprays, manually cleaning the leaves, it helped but in the end few of my plants still dried up and died. I put out the rest outside since it warmed up now, idk what eats the aphids but something does for sure, peppers are looking healthier by the day. My question is, wtf do I do next winter? What I can prepare to get rid of the aphid menace before they kill my plants again? I saw some anon gassing parasites, not sure whether those were aphids though, would that work? If so, how do I set it up? Or maybe just somehow sterilize the pot beforehand? Can I reliably do that across lets say 10 plants, or is it impossible and just slowing it down?
>>
What can I use wood ash for?
Can I just mix it with my soil?
>>
>>2717560
Try boiling or fermenting citrus peels and spraying it over your plants
>>
>>2717566
I'd recommend putting it in your compost so some of the salts can leech out first
>>
>>2717566
You spread it out in fall/winter as it provides minerals and stuff.
You have to wait (weeks) before spreading fertilizer in the same area as it just binds to it and you get ammonium that fucks off into the atmosphere.
>>
>>2716274
Huge note for anyone growing with sunflowers - they're allelopathic and will decrease yields and size of anything grown with them. If you're in (most places in) America, silphiums like cup plant and rosinweed are good tall native perennials to use instead that aren't allelopathic
>>
File: Isaac partying5.jpg (116 KB, 1440x900)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>2717560
FIRE
>>
>>2717652
Interesting, but I did some further reading and apparently evidence of the allelopathic effects of sunflowers is quite inconclusive? So unless you are farming on a sun flower field or using a thick sunflower hull mulch you are probably fine.
>>
File: bIMG_2591.jpg (374 KB, 1200x900)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
Put the door on and added the closing clamps for the vent. But there is one small problem. To secure the vent open I'd need a step ladder because it is so high. I'll figure that out later. The door isn't as tight on the sides as I'd like when closed, so I have to do something about that as well. I should have got another piece of longer pipe to give the door more overlap with the frame.
>>
File: ArneNaess.jpg (63 KB, 580x330)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2716434
>>2716445
There is no point of no return, my friends. May the memory of Arne Næss (pbuh) guide us to a new ecology of joy.
>>
>>2717645
Been there done that, it helps, gets rid of many of them but not everything until I literally just drown them in it, and even then after a few days the horror starts again
>>2717779
God I wish, fucking final solution

Also, forgot to mention, I kept my hydroponic setup a bit too close to potted plants and I had to throw out a few of my tomatoes just to control the spread and not risk it infecting my whole hydro, words cannot express how much I hate aphids
>>
File: IMG_1706.jpg (1.35 MB, 2048x1536)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB JPG
>>2717924
I'm serious. I bring potted pepper indoors every year. Every other year I have aphids. The plant is burned. This year I will heat treat the soil in a wide bowl covered with an old window panel; left in the sun all day once warm enough.
>>
>>2717924
It works better as a preventative. Spray your plants when you bring them in and periodically until you know the aphids won't get to them.
>>
>>2716434
They moves everyone down a zone because of climate trends in the last quarter century. Climate trends go beyond the last quarter century, and it's reckless to suggest to people they can suddenly grow things that are one good winter from being wiped out from a region.
>>2717560
>>2717779
>>2717924
Get some diatomaceous earth and a big plastic bag. Put the affected plant in the bag or the bag over the affected plant. Spike a handful of DE down into the bag. Close the bag. All insect life on the plant is now dead. You will need to repeat this if the plant is top-watered or rained on.
>>
>>2717982
And by spike, I mean literally spike it down onto the plant. You want the powder to dust up and cover the undersides of all the leaves. You just really don't want to breath that shit as it will ruin your lungs. If you can guarantee you and anything living will be away from the area, you don't really need to use a bag.
>>
>>2717983
And by away I mean like 3-5 minutes until all the free particulate has floated down or been blown away.
>>
>bought fig cultivar so obscure even google doesn't know it
I'm beyond excited lads. Can't for it to get here.
>>
>>2717944
I will try that then, thanks
>>2717978
Same here
>>2717982
And same here, ideas seem good, I have big sample size and my old plants still aren't completely aphid free so I can give it a try now, except the citrus method sinceyou said to use it as prevention obviously, and I already tried it with aphids already on
>>
>>2716513
Wait, what? That’s crazy. Do they inspect it and go by the papers or is this just some quick assessment? Can’t you game that by putting some broken cars on your front yard and “aging” your walls and maybe having the road side of your property unmaitained?
Odly enough, I just bought a house and I’m in the process of maintaining it. Thinking about a “hedge” of milpa around the perimeter. My fruit trees get a maintenance cut in autumn. What’s some good squash or pumpkins to plant that have a high chance of keeping “forever” in a cool-ish cellar? Hokkaido and…?
>>
>>2718076
Around here they don't send anyone to inspect the property. They use the location and amount of living area to find similar properties that have been sold recently. If you think your property should be valued lower you have to apply for an exception which you won't get, especially for something like a few broken cars.
My friend owns a small house by the river which was assessed at almost a million dollars, mainly because of the view of the river. He applied for an exception because there's a new apartment building across the street which completely blocks his view. He didn't get the exception. So whatever tricks you try to lower the value of your home I'm sure the government won't care.
>>
>>2715919
no im growing a pecan, redwood and an bur oak at the moment but im jealous and id like to get some chestnuts. whered you pick them up?
>>
>>2718158
american chestnut groups on facebook. TACF also sells seeds and seedlings but ive heard they are very often chinese american hybrids. most independent nurseries that claim to have american chestnuts for sale are 100% lying and only have hybrids. ask them to prove with testing or certification they have the real mccoy and youll get nothing.

please dont grow hybrids or chinese chestnuts. we need to restore americans back to the forests. they are rare enough without mucking up the genetics. right now preserving the germplasm is #1 priority until we have a blight tolerant american tree or boost hypovirus to wipe out the blight.

chestnut chat on youtube revealed that GE failed last year as they dun goofed GE pollen with the wrong line. back crossing data shows that the more resistant an american is the more chinese it actually is shockedpikachuface.jpg

the blight spores can travel up to 6.2 mi or 10km from 1 infected tree. Oaks, Maples, Beech, Sumac and Hickory all can be carriers of the blight but there isnt much info online about symptoms or % of trees that might be infected.

if planted in an area that hasnt seen the blight in a long time your trees might live a few decads which is long enough to reproduce several seasons.
>>
>>2715587
My peach tree has Peach Leaf Curl for the first time. I've never treated for it before because I didn't know I had to. Is it over or can I just treat in the fall and hope for better luck next year?
>>
File: 1711244787839717(1).webm (955 KB, 480x558)
955 KB
955 KB WEBM
I've planted both my tomato and pepper plant in a single 5 gallon bucket
Let's see if they survive together
>>
>>2718180
As a noob that saw few random videos about this, I thought they already produced some "american" chestnut that had the tolerant gene.
Like hybrid so close to the original that you might as well call it success.
>>
okay. last year all my tomatoes had a real sour acidic taste to them. I don't know what I really did wrong. Any advice on what Ican do this year to avoid this fate? Is there some kind of nutrient deficiency?
>>
>>2718180
thanks anon. good info. i knew about the blight issues and wanted to grow some.
>>
File: IMG_3113.jpg (2.89 MB, 2250x3000)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
so nice to get some plants out into the greenhouse. have about another 14 trays that need to go out in the next few weeks
>>
File: 20240409_120939.jpg (3.44 MB, 4032x3024)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB JPG
Anyone know what these are? Growing on an old tree stump initially, now on the side of my raised bed. Eastern washington.
>>
What's the best value in edging in vegetable beds and trees? I want to mulch heavy and not have to worry about clipping it with my mower or throwing a bunch of grass in there if I'm using a side discharge blade.
>>
>>2718245
Some kind of coprinus, most likely ink cap.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprinellus_micaceus
I've never tried them but they are edible, only you can't drink alcohol days before and after.
All the mushrooms in this family seem to melt into ink.
>>
>Put container of 9 Spinach seedlings that just sprouted out in the shade to get it started on sunlight
>Crow knocks it over
You know, Mao wasn't such a bad guy.
>>
>>2718194
Yes it’s called Darling 58 that has 1 OxO wheat gene added. However SUNY ESF mixed up the pollen and actually has been testing Darling 54 the last 10 years and has no idea if any Darling 58 were produced beyond the first one.

The Darling 54 fiasco has been a huge flop and upset a lot of supporters. Very tragic situation. It’s made me question if that’s the correct path to take considering these trees will live hundreds of years and we have no idea how this OxO gene will impact the trees long term. So far it’s been a negative but that could just be the D54 line.

Personally I believe working on hypovirus would be the most beneficial path to take. Then we won’t waste decades developing a failed GE or BC tree. The American chestnut can be 100% pure and unmolested. Virus replication is super fast when compared to editing tree genes growing them and testing the offspring as well for a few generations.
>>
>>2718303
Thanks, that does looks right. Guess I can't try em for a bit, literally drinking a margarita atm.
>>
>>2718076

Supposedly it's based on comps. The only comps in my area were new construction homes which somehow are valued less than my house now.

Could be worse. My boss built his house right before covidmania for about $275k. He got adjusted to $640k.

The other anon is right, appealing is generally worthless. They won't tell you what comps or criteria they used, they didn't actually do an appraisal, and they don't care what you think. And you get the world's greatest cocksucker in the first place as that's the only person willing to do that job, so he might appraise it higher just to fuck with you.
>>
Anybody here starting pumpkins yet?

I yearn to grow pumpkins again, but for now I'll settle for watching vicariously through other fellow pumpkin farmers.
>>
File: 1662931617105988.jpg (29 KB, 399x399)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>2716925
Man, you think aphids are bad? At least aphids have a reliable natural predator in the form of the ladybug.

Try dealing with fucking SQUASH BUGS. HOLY SHIT I FUCKING HATE THESE NIGGERS AS MUCH AS GUTS HATES THE GODHAND.

A few years back, every method I tried to kill them en masse failed. There were no natural predators around, and so they just kept multiplying exponentially, fucking up my squash plants bad. I had to keep going out every evening and picking them off manually and drowning them in a bucket, and scraping off the eggs.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that I quite literally killed thousands alone in that one growing season.

I fucking hate squash bugs so much it's unreal.
>>
File: IMG_1754.jpg (908 KB, 2048x1536)
908 KB
908 KB JPG
>>2718390
Yes.
I will guerrilla grow them in the grasses of a near by park.
Guesstimated survived(to fully grown) is <1%
>>
>>2718392
Based as FUCK. I actually thought about doing this back at my university, but I never got a real chance. I was planning to just bury some pumpkin seeds next to some of the trees where the grass wouldn't be (as) cut, and just see what happens.

Godspeed fellow pumpking. I hope to see the results fruit.
>>
>>2718390
I would but It's been too cold the past few years
Thankfully the garlic at my aunt's horse farm that was stuck straight into the dirt is doing great. All I gave them were some handfuls of myco at the start and the only water came from the rain
>>
I’ve got some lawn that I want to return to vegetables duty. Luckily, it’s a healthy lawn with moss and flowers and no roundup hellscape.
I want to turn it over and simply plant some fava beans, both for their tasty beans and as fertilizer/bio drill, maybe add some compost, if I have enough.
I hand fava beans once and they were an absolute lice magnet, but other than that, they should be robust enough for that purpose.
Can I already plan to plant kale on that patch in autumn, or is that too ambitious?
>>
>>2718422
Kale likes a lot of nitrogen, so you'll have better results if you put down some fertilizer between growing the beans and the kale unless those beans fix a ton of nitrogen.
>>
>>2718440
Yeah, I know. I expect that the soils isn’t too bad and with the beans and some compost, I would assume I can risk it. A handful of kale seeds isn’t that expensive, so unless someone convincingly tells me that I’m retarded for trying, I’m probably gonna risk it.
>>
A dozen chickens gets me about 5 eggs per day. Feed is like 15 bucks a bag, twice or three times a month. Free range feeding as well. I kinda feel like i could double my chickens and technically feed myself on 90 bucks a month if i figured out how to eat 10 eggs a day.
>>
>>2717017
Drip lines are easy but there's a bit of a learning curve. You can get a starter kit that's 30 bucks, and you can buy a twist timer for another 30. Once you've got it set up right (no real wrong answers, just make sure the water gets there), and just Crank the knob. Provided you can leave the hose out there connected.
>>
>>2717471
why'd you post a pic of your squat rack
>>
>>2718477
The thin ones are quarter inch. Some packs have half inch tubes as well. They obviously carry more water and is better for longer systems with more connections. If you have a garden that is larger than... Say ... 8'x4', you may want to find a kit with half inch tubing as well. They'll usually have both. They come with instructions and there are lots of videos. It's basically Legos, things will fit where they are supposed to fit.
>>
File: PXL_20240410_153436101.MP.jpg (2.41 MB, 4080x3072)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
>>2718480
Last year i bundled mine up and labeled them
>>
File: abuse.png (143 KB, 739x656)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
>>2717464
I have a similar pavilion where the fabric got fucked by wind and weather. Might as well turn it into a greenhouse. Great idea, anon.
>>
File: bIMG_2601.jpg (553 KB, 1200x900)
553 KB
553 KB JPG
I moved the greenhouse into its permanent location. I removed the end board from the garden, and dug out an area in the garden so I could have it sitting at grass level. I just need to do some adjusting of the plastic at the bottom. Getting its first wind test today with the gusts getting up to 70 km/h, and its not moving at all.

I'm thinking of growing tomatoes in the ground inside of it. I'm just concerned if I can keep the temperature reasonable during the summer with it open on just one side. Maybe I need to add a vent on another side so air can flow through.
>>
>>2718391
Yeah I had those fucking up my stuff too. Sprayed em' with Sevin. I know chemicals are the devil but everything gives you cancer now anyway. Killed em real good.
>>
>>2718465
The only thing you're risking is part of your kale yield. Go for it.
>>
>>2718475
What breed? I have 13 hens and I'm getting 10-12 eggs a day. Also 10 eggs a day isn't enough to feed you and you will have the worst smelling farts and shit imaginable.
>>
>>2718503
I posted some construction photos and descriptions here. https://imgur.com/gallery/2gWe1Jy

It cost about $250 Canadian for the parts, including $55 for a rivet nut tool. The rivet nuts made resizing the frame quite easy as I could reuse the original bolts. I considered only reducing the frame to half size, but that would have been much more difficult and expensive. I would have needed some long lumber along the bottom between posts.

The parts for the PVC roof were about $60, so there is an opportuning for savings doing something out of wood.
>>
File: PXL_20240410_170630500.jpg (2.02 MB, 2160x3840)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
Lets go
>>
>>2718520
I always forget, i just got 4 breeds from tractor supply. One is Rhode Island Red, there's a clan one with feathers on the feet, a blonde one, and a black one with brown spots. If there are more eggs I've not yet found them.

Typically i try not to fart in front of people but having a weapon built into my ass isn't a detractor for me
>>
>>2718504
would definitely add a vent on the other side and probably roll the sides up about a foot in the summer.
>>2718233
this on sunny days even in march this gets up to 75f or so. Yesterday we had a really nice sunny day, I think it was 70f or so and this got up to 85-90 before we rolled up the sides. Then it stabilized around 80
>>
So apparently there’s lead in fruit and vegetables?? Do they suck it out of the ground as they grow or something?
>>
>>2718564
Accidentally, roots take up w/e is there. Try not to grow in contamination. Some farmers don't know their soil others don't care.
>>
>>2718562
>would definitely add a vent on the other side and probably roll the sides up about a foot in the summer
I just remembered I have an old sliding patio screen door under the deck. I should be able to replace the screen with plastic and add a pair of rails for it to slide on.
>>
Seeds ordered for my first year trying seed to harvest. I got fingerling potatoes, San marzano tomatoes and Carolina reapers on the way in addition to jalapeno seeds from last year and over wintered ghost/habanero pepper plants.

I plan on germinating the seeds in paper towels and plastic bags, then transferring to soil. I'm wondering if anyone prefers soaking seeds and then planting in soil. Any advice is appreciated.
>>
omg bros its happening its spring omg bros i hate the ground elder
>>
>>2718549
If I'm right about the breeds then you're coming in low. Do you have nesting boxes? It could also be their feed. Consider adding cayenne pepper to their feed at 1% by weight. It's easier to incorporate if you're using a mash or fermenting your feed. Adding crushed lump charcoal to their feed at 2% can also help if the issue is related to weight.
>>
>>2718629
I always go straight to a soil mix. A 1020 tray can take you far, especially with an air layering insert. You can find a million different recipes for seed starting mixes online. The most important thing is to use moisture holding ingredients like coconut coir, compost, and charcoal. If you're starting in smaller cells and then transplanting them into larger containers then you don't have to worry about the nutrients very much. If you're keeping them in the seed starting mix then you should make sure you incorporate enough nutrients for the seedlings to grow well until you transplant them. Good luck with whatever you choose, anon.
>>
File: How To Make A Bug Snug.jpg (320 KB, 1280x720)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>bug snug
Anything to this? Supposedly it's to give bugs, insects and critters a shelter over the winter, but wouldn't it just turn into a rat haven?
>>
>>2718391
Portable vacuum cleaner.
>>
4/11and I still haven't started my seeds....last frost in a month. it's over
>>
Getting paw paw trees in Europe is such a pain.
40 (forty) fucking Euro for 2 tiny twigs and not even of named cultivar.
I can buy 6 nice 3 to 4 years old currants, haskaps or gooseberries of a popular cultivar for the same price.
>>
>>2718726
Know your pain bro.
I just shipped loquat and some figs across the Europe for quite some dosh cause they were just impossible to get locally.
I was thinking about pawpaws as well, but I'm already limited with space.
>>
>>2718623
good deal. Even unheated greenhouses are great early in the year. We usually bring plants out in the morning and bring them in at night unless its going be below 45F.
This is march and first week of april
6 hours of sun is better than 16 hours of artificial light.
>>
>>2718623
The rolling screen door idea gave me another idea for covering a greenhouse. You could buy window screen frame (or find old screens) and cover the greenhouse frame in panels. Some of them could be removable for ventilation. You can buy long straight lengths and 90 degree corner pieces for joining them. It looks like people do DIY enclosed decks that way.
>>
For anyone considering fruit trees who might be confused about how the sizes generally are when it comes to root stock, here's a very succinct way of remembering it.
Standard: A cherry picker may be required.
Semi-dwarf: A ladder may be required.
Dwarf: A step-ladder may be required.
>>
>>2718564
yes, they do. that's why this urban guerilla gardening trend is really dumb most of the times. because the goblins planting veggies on abandoned railway yards don't know about heavy metal contamination
>>
>>2718537
Probably a dumb question, but I have a limited amount of containers to grow in (city dweller, so containers are all I have access to) and a substantially larger amount of seeds germinated than I expected.
The containers are 12 liter diy SIPs, so maybe 8-10 liters of soil in total. The diameter of the buckets is 29 cm. All the plants I planned on growing are chilis, cayennes, scorpions, aji Charapita, fatalii and sugar rush.

Would you anons put one plant per container and give the rest of the plants up? Or 2-3 per container? I'm unsure which will result in better and more chilis (and seeds for next season).
>>
File: 20230813_100929.jpg (2.44 MB, 3120x4160)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>2718886
Nta but I did 5 in like a 16in pot last year and they did great. They won't get as tall as they should but they produced enough that it didn't matter. Picrel, ghost and habaneros mid season.
>>
File: chilis.jpg (1.37 MB, 2268x4032)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>2718906
I didn't actually want to reply to that anon for the question anyways, just forgot I had clicked the post ID. Those look great in your pot, despite being overcrowded like a mother fucker.
Picrel were 2 of mine last year, left pot had a cayenne and right pot a scorpion. They had a lot of yield, which is why I was even asking if it's worth it with smaller plants.
I planned 2 pots per variety, so I think I'll plant one of each with one plant and the other with multiple (3-5). That way I can see for myself if it's worth it and get the potentially better seeds from the single pot plant for next season.
Thanks anon.
>>2718537
Ignore that previous reply, I just wanted to tell you that that plant looks very cute. The pixel takes some great photos of plants honestly.
>>
>>2718886
My normal peppers did really well in 15 liter normal pots but I think they would do well in smaller pots if they were in SIPs.
Dwarf peppers did well in 7.5 liters, could be even less I think.
>>
>>2718886
Peppers do great when they're planted in pairs. Having three in the same pot will be fine.
>>
My property is basically flat. Less than 20 feet drop across 5 acres. I wanted to do swales, but I'm not sure if its gonna work out. What are some other things I can do I collect and manage water?
>>
>>2715840
niwot M8
>>
File: bIMG_2612.jpg (249 KB, 1200x900)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
What seems like a simple idea often ends up taking far more time than I expected. Getting the sliding door rail installed and leveled took hours of tinkering. I didn't have any room for adjustment of the top rail so the door is a little tilted. The door spring rollers were seized after sitting under the deck for 15 years. I had to install some boards along the bottom to mount the lower rail. Replacing the screen with plastic ended up being the easiest part.
>>
File: bIMG_2613.jpg (192 KB, 1200x900)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
For the upper and lower rails I sacrificed two of my garden U-posts. Drilling off the space part on the bottom and cutting off the tabs.

With the plastic being so easy to install in the screen door, I think a good option for covering a DIY greenhouse would be to find a bunch of old window screens and install plastic in them. Tons of them get thrown away when people replace their old windows. You could probably rig up something so you could pull various panels for ventilation.
>>
Why do you guys use so much plastic? Are you not worried about microplastics and soil contamination?
>>
>>2719063
It already rains microplastics across the whole world. Why worry about what's already here and inside you? Can only evolve to adapt at this point.
>>
>>2719103
Yeah, but the fewer, the better.
It's undeniable that the more microplastics, the greater the harm.
>>
>>2716809
Yes the quality of the flower matters. Generally shit flower will equal shit seed. As long as it goes fully through the maturation and reproduction stage it should be fine and produce viable seed. But if I was collecting seed off anything, I ok only collect from the best, biggest and most vigorous.
>>
>>2717024
Elliot Colemans "4 season harvest".
>>
I took the Dahlia pill bros. Tell me what I'm in for.
>>
>>2719063
lol
>>
>>2719030
Perhaps a rain garden?
>>
Greenhouse had its wind testing this week. Next week it might get its snow loading test. A mid-April snow does wonders for greening up the lawn, but it will just make a mess and saturate the ground.
>>
>>2719236
I made a rain garden a little differently. Rainwater drains into a rocky area that I dug out, then it slowly seeps into the surrounding yard without disturbing the soil.

What plants grow well in gravel? Irises is a start.
>>
>>2719063
What's better, plastic or wood with chemicals? I'm not making my own trellis.
>>
>>2719367
A cattle panel can make good trellis. You can bend it into a 7 ft loop and if you have multiple then you can put them end to end to make a long hallway with vegetables hanging down.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h-3502077
>>
I give up. What variety of strawberry should I grow?
>>
>>2719392
Get a bunch of different kinds. Try to pick varieties that fruit at different times so you get strawberries all through the season.
>>
>>2719422
I have a few types. Was trying to decide on a good day-neutral cultivar, but it's a wide field and there are competing opinions.
>>
>>2719424
Don't get too tied up in it. Narrow it down to a few options and roll a die.
>>
>>2719424
I was in the same boat, I ended up choosing Mara de Bois, Seascape and Albion
>>
>>2718822

It's generally worth noting as well that peach trees are generally smaller by a wide margin even as standards so you often don't see them badged as "dwarf" unless they're a version for container planting.

Most dwarf varieties also tend to be more precocious than full size and also have shorter productive lives.

That said I planted 4 standard sweet cherries and I think I will regret it. Going in to year 3 and the tallest is already about 11 ft tall with a heavily upward growth habit, even though it has a beautiful central leader and branches at the perfect height. I should have pruned heavier when it was younger, but deer pressure was a major problem...
>>
>>2719392

I like tristar, bushy habit with not an extreme number of runners. Day neutral and will produce year 1. Good taste, medium size berries.

Fucking deer ate all 150 of mine over the winter. This year I'm trying albion and seascape just to mix things up. They're also everbearing/day neutral so they'll start putting out a crop early and keep going until fall.
>>
>>2718564
>>2718847
Only with root vegetables or if soil constantly getting on the leaves of your greens is this really a concern. Multiple university studies show that the lead stays in the root areas when absorbed.
>>
Should I uproot a tiny seedling that's in the same cell as a more vigorous seedling, right next to it?
Should I cut it off, uproot or leave it until the true leaves come through?
>>
On subject of strawberries can someone recommend me a good cultivar that will let out a lot of runners, good taste and produces strawberries for the whole season?
I want something that will take over a bed on it's own.

Also do I need a special cultivar to have those cool strawberries that weep from a hanging basket?
>>
>>2719520
I asked ChatGPT:
>One cultivar that meets your requirements is the 'Camelot' strawberry. This variety is known for its high yield of runners, excellent flavor, and long fruiting season. 'Camelot' strawberries are medium-sized, bright red, and have a delicious taste. They are also resistant to several diseases, making them a great choice for home gardeners.
>>
>>2719514
I never kill anything that sprouts in my trays, even obvious weeds, but that's just me.
>>
>>2719520
>>2719541
From Wikipedia:
>Sequoia
>Medium height plants that develop vigorous runners. Large, glossy berries with a long conic shape. Flavor is sweet and subacid with pleasing aromatic qualities. Disease-resistant to leaf spot. Cold hardy. Ripens in June and may bear into fall. Self-pollinating.
>Stellarossa
>Small plants that develop numerous runners. Medium, deep-red berries with a wedge shape. Flavor is sweet. Cold hardy. Ripens in August and bears well into fall. Self-pollinating.
>Strawberry Festival
>distinguished by the numerous runners it produces in the fruiting field, the long pedicels attached to its fruit, and the production of fruit that are flavorful, firm fleshed, deep red on the outside, bright red on the inside, and conically shaped.
>Fort Laramie
>Fort Laramie is extremely winter hardy, and does well in colder areas except Alaska (Alaska's long days inhibit fruit production). Also not recommended in the South. Large, bright scarlet fruit with dark pink to scarlet interior. Firm sweet flesh is exceptionally aromatic. Good for eating fresh, freezing and preserves. Vigorous; produces many runners and a very heavy crop. Somewhat susceptible to mildew.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_strawberry_cultivars
>>
Any advice on what to do with about 30-odd tumbling toms and a single sunny south-facing windowsill?
>>
>>2716377
wtf is that, it looks like a photoshop effect
>>
File: 1710655910199165.jpg (3.4 MB, 2250x4000)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
>>2719618
You need to level up your growing room before you can grow that many plants
>>
File: bIMG_2614.jpg (718 KB, 1200x900)
718 KB
718 KB JPG
I planted my pelleted carrot seeds today. I spaced them an inch apart, then did a second staggered pass. I lined the rows, then covered the seeds with sifted compost from last year.

I should go get some peas and potatoes to plant this weekend.
>>
File: 1684066886026854.jpg (563 KB, 2250x4000)
563 KB
563 KB JPG
>>2719637
I just planted 'er this afternoon
>>
File: 1685878848916820.png (1.34 MB, 926x1074)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
>>2719661
>>
File: Bugs.png (900 KB, 600x800)
900 KB
900 KB PNG
no matter what I do, these fuckers come back
>>
>>2719677
Those are aphids, right? Have you tried introducing predators, like ladybugs and parasitoid wasps?
I've also read someone say that pests and diseases aren't problems themselves, but signs or symptoms to other problems you must fix. He said aphids are often attracted when the soil is too HIGH in fertility, namely when there's too much nitrogen.
>>
>>2719686
>He said aphids are often attracted when the soil is too HIGH in fertility, namely when there's too much nitrogen.
almost certainly bullshit
>>
>>2719686
Tried once, but they didn't stick around.

Honestly, I don't mind a manual solution where I have to scrub every single inch of the tree with a toothbrush and some concoction as long as they're gone for good
>>
Anyone grow nanking cherry? Tractor supply has them for $8, thought they might be worth picking up just for the ornamental value but I would hope they're tasty too
>>
>>2719686
Looks like scales.
>>
>>2715587
Fucked up and I'm starting my seeds way too late (again). it's mid april, last frost is generally end of the first week in may in my area (zone 5B). How cooked am I for starting my tomato seeds and other veggies this late?
>>
>>2719751
Better late then never, but I feel you. Every year I forget to start one seed or another until it's too late.
>>
>>2719751
>>2719758
Don't you guys have alarms or reminders set up? I use either the calendar app or the Loop Habit Tracker app so as not to forget anything important.
https://loophabits.org/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.isoron.uhabits
>>
>>2719760
Nope. This year I forgot to plant eggplants. I didn't even find the seeds until it was already too late.
>>
>>2719763
Well, now you know. The app is really useful.
>>
Is it possible to make a hybrid/mixed greenhouse?
For example, a walpini or underground greenhouse will be underground for its entirety, but I just want to grow tall banana trees without having to build a tall normal greenhouse.
So instead, can I build a normal 3-4 meter tall greenhouse, then dig a section for another 3-5 meters so the banana trees can grow fully?
Is there a problem with this design?
>>
I love googling garden knowledge. You'll find an answer, and then you'll find the opposite of that answer. Every time.
>Marigolds attract bees
>Marigolds repel bees
>>
>>2719780
Lol. The important is to look at the sources. No sources? Most likely bullshit. Some university research or experienced farmer/gardener? Most likely legit.
>Marigolds and bees
In this particular case, we have to ask the variety of the marigold and the species of bees. Maybe some repel all bees, maybe only some bees are attracted, etc.
>>
File: burpee lol.jpg (152 KB, 640x640)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>2719788
I'd love to know what variety of marigold I have but the seller refuses to call it by what it is and makes up their own shit.
>>
>>2719790
Kek baka
>>
>>2719790
Tagetes patula
>>
>>2719780
That's just the internet in general these days. Anytime someone proclaims something, I look for the contrary reply, it usually doesn't take long. Everyone has to spout their bullshit.
>>
>>2719780
They don't repel bees but depending on the cultivar the pollen and nectar may be not be easily accessible to them (because of the abundance of petals) or they might produce very little thereof. If attracting bees is your main goal there's probably better options.
>>
Would you go grape vines or hardy kiwi for a 10-12ft tall trellis on a SW-facing hillside balcony? Don't really have enough room for properly setting up both.
Thanks brehs
>>
>>2719915
All the kiwis I planted died for no apparent reason, while the grapes grow like crazy. I assume they don't like my soil or something but I can't recommend the kiwis in any case.
>>
>>2719917
Oh no :(
Major bummer especially when they take forever to start bearing fruit
>>
>>2719915
Grapes, with kiwis you need both male and female vine to get anything out of them while most grapes are self-fertile.
>>
>>2719919
I was counting on planting both male and female if I went that way though. I'd have enough room for like 3-4 plonts wide
>>
>>2719919
There are self-fertile kiwis as well.
>>
>>2719924
There are no self-fertile hardy kiwis, they don't exist.
There are some parthenocarpic hardy kiwis which are often mislabeled as self fertile by people trying to profit from people's ignorance however yield from such plant is much lower than what you would get from having both male and female plant with the same amount of space.
>>
>>2719931
Issai kiwi is supposed to be both hardy and self pollinating.
Sure more plants = more pollination.
>>
>>2719935
It can self-pollinate with it's sterile pollen, creating sterile fruit (this is parthenocarpy, not self-fertility) however it can't really pollinate other female plants unless they are also parthenocarpic but even then yield will be pathetically low.
There is a reason why not a single commercial grower of hardy kiwi uses only parthenocarpic plants and why every competent nursery will recommend you planting both female and male plant.
Male plant produces no fruit however female plants around if will produce several times over what only parthenocarpic kiwis with the same space would produce, even if you have space for only 2 vines you should plant male and female vine, not 2 parthenocarpic vines.
>>
I planted seed which I harvested from red campion (silene dioica) and ended up with ragged-robin (silene flos-cuculi) which is a different species? How the FUCK is that even possible? Can anyone who knows about plant genetics explaib?
>>
>>2719943
You probably sprouted a different seed unintentionally. Maybe it was mixed into the soil and the seed you collected never germinated
>>
>>2719948
I actually ended up with 10 or so ragged-robin plants which all came from the red campion seeds so it couldnt have been a mistake
>>
>>2719952
Then maybe it's a hybrid. If your flowers are sterile then the seeds were hybridized and just look more like one species then the other.
>>
Today I planted the rest of the stuff that can go in early. Potatoes, onion bulbs and peas.
>>
File: 20240414_233930.jpg (2.76 MB, 4000x2252)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB JPG
Boys.
I had some green onions from walmart and I saw you could keep growing them
So I got some dirt, burnt some holes in some QT X-Large cups because we got a QuickTrip recently and I been getting some drinks there.
Held onto the cups and decided to use them to put dirt.
Did the double-cup thing where I have a drain cup.
Got some dirt and then some $1.50 seeds from the spinny thing at the garden section.
It's been 7 days, I got thyme, spinach, basil popping out of the potting soil. Grass for the cats coming along great. I hope the oregano and parsley make it okay.
Then got some on-sale green onion from SuperOne but it's way greener, less flavorful, and thicker so I'm trying to cook more to use it to cut and it grow more stuff like the walmart ones.

I think it's safe to say I'm basically a homesteader.
Feels good to live off the land.
>>
Upturned some lawn yesterday and planted some beans. Slowly my garden is taking form. And the house is coming along nicely too! Finally got my work bench in working order, now I can really start doing stuff.
>>
>had tomatoes growing in greenhouse for the last month or so
>last week finally move them into ground they were getting too big for my smol greenhouse
>weather forecast instantly changes from sunny, over 20 degrees both during the day AND NIGHT to 2 degrees during the night for three days straight
Is it over? Do I just let them die and use the few i didn't plant yet? They might survive if it's just 2 degrees, right bros? What if it dips below zero tho, even briefly?
>>
>>2720087
The solution is to plant trees and kill CEOs/Politicians to combat climate change.
Or use some cover to protect them and give them a bit of heat.
>>
>>2720088
Normally we don't have this weather here, when my father was my age it was impossible to grow potatoes outside of greenhouses, it's only because of climate change that I don't have to shovel snow this time of year
I considered covering them but gardening foil is kinda expensive and I would need a lot of it too, it is my last resort but Im mainly just wondering whether they would survive these temps
>>
>>2720089
Fucking potatoes, tomatoes, Im dumb, altho potatoes in greenhouse sound interesting so might do it too
>>
>>2720089
You can find videos of people using plastic water bottles or the like to protect their seedlings. You probably have a few in your house.
>>2720090
The pomato: "You called?"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomato
>>
If I can't untangle the roots of a plant to divide (in this case hostas) is it okay to cut through the crown with a spade to separate? I mean I've already done it but it doesn't feel right.
>>
>>2720092
Fuck pomatos look sick I wanna try making one ngl, but starting this late would mean that I will have to overwinter it at least for some time
>>
>>2720063
Congrats.
You could upgrade your setup with a tray full of water and a wicking cord inside those pots for them to pull water from tray if you ever need to leave for a week or longer.
You will also need to fertilize it a bit at some point in future.
>>
>>2720093
It's ok, don't worry

>I've already done it but it doesn't feel right.
Don't look up how rhubarb and asparagus crowns are divided, you'll have a stroke
>>
Have you guys ever heard or read of a greenhouse for tropical climates, so you can grow temperate fruits such as apples, berries, nuts, etc.?
>>
>>2720087
Fellow alpine dweller?
I was on the verge of planting my tomatoes this weekend but some relatives talked some sense into me.
With those, I’m kinda early, but had a lot of shit to do, so I really need to start zucchini and all kinds of herbs next weekend.
>>
>>2720094
They're a bit of a gimmick, because you're trying to grow both the tuber and the fruit you end up stunting one or both
>>
>>2720097
Shadehouse/hoophouse, I've not used one before but I imagine you still won't be able to do stuff like stonefruit that needs a frost to set fruit unless you can find a low chill set variety
>>
>>2720104
Yea I will obviously stick to normal tomatoes overall, but would be fun to have one or two of these as an experiment... also anyone knows whether they could live multiple years if held them in house, or dying after 1st year like potatoes?
>>
To the pollack:

If space is what will limit you I recommend using your metal shelves to set up a hydro rig and raise herb punnets, you can grow them year round and they retail for a good price.

Then use the tubs to raise bulbs,tulips or the like. They only spend two seasons in the tubs and your second season is cut short because you sell the flowering plant.
This gives you summer and autumn to raise more herbs.

Don't try to grow broadacre crops like Potatoes as these are worth virtually nothing and are an economy of scale. Scale is exactly what you lack. Tomatoes, potatoes, beans, onions, forget it. Waste of your limited space.

Buy an electric timer from eBay, a roll of 20mm irrigation line, a pack of mister heads. Even a monkey could set the system up. The grow lights can wait until the second year.

In an urban area flowers are worth more than they should be, so are ideal for an urban grower. Just use the profits to buy vegetables
>>
>>2720093
Totally normal, it keeps the proportion of roots to stem even so plants divided this way rarely suffer. Just be careful not to expose the wound to bacteria
>>
>>2720069
Good to hear anon
>>
Why are countries in the tropics poor? You'd expect them to focus on developing since food grows so readily there.
>>
>>2720087
Why not just frost net them? Tomatoes are grown in hot houses for a reason, without the extended growing season You're raising the seeds for a long time but not getting enough fruit.

It doesn't sound that bad, I'd just staple a bunch of covers out of frost netting
>>
>>2719931
>>2719924
I've struggled to grow kiwis, unsure how to train them. They just went wild and became un nettable
>>
>>2719915
Depends on which hemisphere you're in>>2719780
It's hopeless, we all rely on books.
>>
>>2719915
Grapes. They produce more fruit.
>>
>>2719677
Because scale insects are immobile you can suffocate them with horticultural oil. Use a very high pressure sprayer, bear in mind every spray will either kill or not kill an individual scale insect.

Depending on your set-up you can lean a bit on natural predators who usually turn up late to mop up the last survivors. This is one reason you wouldn't use pyrethrin.

You can also use systematic insecticides against sap suckers, notable nicotine and neonicotinid. That's the last resort because it basically poisons the plant and anything the plant produces.
>>2719514
Pinch the invaders to death. In the early stages seedlings are very venerable, that's why you plant so many and take a zero tolerance for crowded punnets.
Depending on the seedling there's an optimum number per tray at each stage of development. For some plants it's always one.
>>
>>2719055
Usually you just get a roll of greenhouse tape, a PVC frame and a big plastic zip to seal it. These designs minimise the number of cuts you have to make to the plastic and the tape (though expensive) will be needed to repair the structure as you progress
>>
>>2720095
I'll probably do something like that. I didn't actually expect anything to grow. I only spent like... $6 on a bag of soil and $10 on seeds.
But I dunno, seeing the green pop up is really fuckin neat.
I might do that faster than expected because my shock and surprise my cat went to go eat some of the cat grass and pulled the cup down since it's so top-heavy.
I've got a lot of printer filament so I'll redesign the planter holder to be steady and modular.
>>
>>2720121
Hardy kiwis need heavy pruning to keep them from going crazy, don't be afraid to cut them down a lot, they bounce back very vigorously, they are mulberries of vines basically.
I train mine for one central stem and prune heavily every winter, summer pruning is also possible but not mandatory.

>>2720128
Consider watering from below and/or covering surface of the soil with a bit of sand/vermiculite if you ever get fungus gnat problem
>>
Neighbor let his yard go, now a bunch of creeping charlie is getting into my blueberry/strawberry beds. I'd prefer not to use any chemicals that could hurt them, but also not have to pull out that devil weed by hand all the time. Options?
>>
>>2720121
Kiwifruit's very vigorous, you need to prune. Commercially they train them on T trellises but they also espalier well
>>
>>2720135
>Consider watering from below
I'll consider it, I thought it wouldn't be a good thing to do that. It' essentially turn my drain cup into a reservoir cup, right?
Would it be okay with the standing water below? Or is that where the wick you mentioned comes into play?
>>
>>2720147
>t' essentially turn my drain cup into a reservoir cup, right?
You can but you'll need to get rid of excess water later.
Generally to water from below people place a container with holes in the bottom on a tray with water for about 15 minutes so container can soak the water upwards, then place it back onto an empty drain, you don't want standing water, this is beneficial because it keeps water in the bottom of container and doesn't wet the surface too much which is what fungus gnats need to plant larva.

>Would it be okay with the standing water below
No, absolutely not.

>Or is that where the wick you mentioned comes into play?
The wick method is a from of watering from below but not the only one.
>>
I'm trying to grow sweet potatoes pretty far North.
They need 120-150 vegetative days and I might get first frost as soon as late September so May is pretty much the latest when I can plant them with late April being preferable.
However I'm unsure what 120-150 vegetative days exactly mean, does it start counting after I put slips into soil or after I root them in pots or after I plant rooted slips?
>>
>>2720136
A hedgerow, failing that maybe dig a trench along the fence line a lay something impermeable down to stop spread via root system then a strimmer to stop anything above ground.
>>
half my "all male" asparagus crowns i bought at the fuck and suck are covered in berries
>>
>>2720087
Insulate them like other anons said. You can use straw, water cloches, tarps, a frost net like anon suggested, ect.
>>
>>2720151
It starts after they're planted outside
>>
>>2719780
The only gardening channel I've found to not spit pure BS is Gardening Fundamentals.
His tone is slow and measured, but whack it on 1.5x speed and you're golden.
>>
>>2720087
UK bros...
>>
When you hybridize two cultivars will the offspring look somewhat similar to the parents or is it possible to get something wildly different? Does the number of chromosomes play a role?
>>
>>2720170
If they have a different chromosome count then im pretty sure they wont hybridize.

First gen hybrids are somehat predictable (F1 - filial 1). You can buy these and theyre generally not cheap.
Subsequent offspring from these hybrids are nutty (F2 F3 F4).

See here:
https://youtu.be/X7EYHOHmROc?si=ttUojFz0vj_4wOdT

Oxbow farm has some really good content. Strongly recommend.
>>
>>2720063
I planted some green onions from Kroger just for shits and giggles, and it grew a penis.
>>2713635
>>
File: 1713190297290.jpg (477 KB, 1536x1536)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
>>2720063
Nice. Try adding biochar and a mycorrhizal to your soil next time. You should look into vermicomposting too. I had an AI draw this for me since I can't draw for shit. It's a worm tower made from cheap food storage containers. The pan is to collect leachate that drains out and the bottom most container should be filled with charcoal and the sides and bottom should be covered with tiny holes (~1/8"). The bottoms of the other containers should have larger holes (~1/4") so the worms can move up to the next layer. You don't use the lids, but the AI wasn't quite sure what I wanted from it. Fill the container on the top halfway with shredded paper, add in your food waste, and when it's full take the container second from the bottom (the one right above the charcoal), dump it out, and place it on top. If there's still worms in the lower container then you need more layers.
>>
>>2720182
kek
>>
>>2720149
>Generally to water from below people place a container with holes in the bottom on a tray with water for about 15 minutes so container can soak the water upwards, then place it back onto an empty drain, you don't want standing water, this is beneficial because it keeps water in the bottom of container and doesn't wet the surface too much which is what fungus gnats need to plant larva.
Oh that makes a ton of sense and that clears up my confusion.
>>2720182
lmao
>>2720185
that's real fuckin' neato actually.
I can see how people can get carried away with the process.
I actually have reall fertile soil outside, because it's overgrown as hell out there.
When I get it taken care of, I might have to look into planting stuff out there.
I've got pretty gnarly louisiana summers though.
>>
>>2720169
Im polish tho
>>2720161
>>2720119
Frost net is expensive, I could see it as investment ig because I will prob reuse it later, but still I want to avoid it for now, unless necessary, will try with cloth and used plastic bottles, my question is, do I need to do that only if there is risk of temp falling below 0, or even smth like 2, 3 degrees is too cold?
>>
File: 1698818156947173.jpg (819 KB, 2250x4000)
819 KB
819 KB JPG
Imagine the smell
>>
>>2720257
Beautiful
>>
>>2720252
You might as well keep it on there until you're sure there won't be any unseasonal frosts.
>>
File: 1712483955024095.jpg (585 KB, 2250x4000)
585 KB
585 KB JPG
>>2720258
Have anotha

>>2720153
Thanks, I might try using some deep plastic edging and a ton of mulch
>>
>>2720113
>Just be careful not to expose the wound to bacteria
I'm a retard, what does this mean? I planted with the wound under soil level because otherwise the root system would also be above ground.
>>
What's the best brand for grow lights? Went to a hardware store and their stuff was overpriced and most the boxes didn't even have an image of the actual light, and I don't trust Amazon since products there have been getting lower and lower quality (and more Chinese).
>>
>>2720435
You don't need overpriced "grow light" label on your grow lights at all, normal LEDs will work just as well.
Just grab high lumen (1500+) bulb that faces downwards, preferably in cool white.
>>
File: 1694926030411547.jpg (4.58 MB, 4000x2250)
4.58 MB
4.58 MB JPG
Anyone knows what kind of pest did this?
>>
>>2720446
Grasshoppers are my bet
>>
Is there a way to blur your property in Google Maps? You can do for Street View, but can you do it from the aerial view of the map?
I mean, even if you can't see my property and all I have from the street, does it even matter when you can see it clearly from above?
In fact, the latter is much worse, because I can just put a fence or privacy screen for the former, but no way to have some privacy for the latter.
>>
What do you guys think of guerrilla gardening?
Personally it sounds fucking cool to chuck bunch of native flora seeds into vacant lots.
>>
>>2720616
It's great.
>>
>>2720616
I'm thinking of starting a bed full of natives that will without a doubt breach containment, does that count?
>>
>>2720672
H-hot
>>
>>2720614
Depends on your jurisdiction. I'm pretty sure in the EU you can, you certainly can in Germany, but outside of the EU it'll depend on if there's laws for it.
>>
>>2720672
Yeah. Based.
>>2720682
I see. Thanks.
>>
When it comes to water desalination plants, I find people who go "hurr durr too energy intensive and expensive to feed a city!!" retarded, because water desalination can be much more useful and sustainable than direct use.
>Desalinate water, fill ponds, and irrigate with that water
>Vegetation grows and brings in rain
>Clean, renewable, natural water from replenished groundwater, rivers, reservoirs, etc.
Where does rain come from? Evaporated ocean water.
That rain then fills reservoirs, rivers and aquifers, which is where most people get their water from.
That's what a desalination plant can do artificially: create "rain" to prevent water scarcity, or put the water cycle in a given area on steroids.
>>
>>2720738
Yeah but from my understanding, it uses a shit ton of electricity, and then you have to dump the filtered salt somewhere, which, for some reason, usually means, right back where you sourced the water from, which increases the salinity of the water source, which fucks it up for marine life
>>
>>2720813
>It uses a shit ton of electricity
Not necessarily. The sun can do a lot of the heating (passive solar). You could also use panels or wind turbines (renewable).
>dump the filtered salt somewhere
It can be dissolved with the same ocean water. Heating -> Concentrating -> Mixing/Dissolving -> Dumping back into the ocean.
It could also be dumped into abandoned mining pits or whatever, like radioactive waste.
>>
>>2720826
Sodium-ion batteries could be another potential application for it, if or when they become commercially viable: their energy density is never going to be as good as lithium-based batteries, but extracting that sodium would be far cheaper and less harmful to the environment than mining the equivalent of lithium.
>>
>>2719751
Better late than early. You'll still get plenty of season with your tomatoes. I've learned not to rush it. Last year half of my tomatoes got killed by frost because it was too early. The other half were in half gallon pots by the time I planted. Now I just aim for memorial day to get them out
>>
Tried to plant new things in raised bed where I did potatoes last year. Now potatoes are coming up from below and fucking it all up. Thought I dug them all.
>>
>>2720446
SLUGS
>>
>>2720446
Depending on the plant species, I feel it could be one of two potential culprits. If it's a tomato, or honestly any nightshade family plant, a high likelihood of it being hornworms. They will literally skeletize an entire tomato/nightshade plant overnight. Like no joke. These niggas are big and hungry. And I do feel bad about culling them, because they do turn into such cute moths (like seriously, I'll upload a pic after this post), but fuck man, they are destructive unless you're growing them en masse.

The other option, for that eating pattern is, as another anon said, quite exuberantly, slugs. They will also just consume leaves whole, especially the sprouting cotyledons and young true leaves. Just absolute devouring. Though they usually don't stick around like the hornworms. So as long as they haven't made a home there, I think your plant may be ok. Delayed by a week or so, but ultimately able to rebound and continue growing leaves. As long as it hasn't been severed as its trunk, it'll continue to grow new leaves.
>>
File: IMG_20220913_185031197_1.jpg (1.19 MB, 2004x2672)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>2721071
What the hornworms turn into. I honestly feel bad about murdering a few of them after I got so passed the ate half my tomato plant. Like fuck man.

But look at these Lil niggas. ADORABLE.
>>
File: IMG_20220913_185052054_1.jpg (1.01 MB, 2004x2672)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>2721072
Although photo
>>
>>2721073
*alternate
>>
File: IMG_20220913_185102934_1.jpg (1.18 MB, 2004x2672)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>2721073
Last photo.

Honestly, if you can make a sacrificial plant, let this niggas live. They do in fact pollinate moonflower plants, in any case. More a /plant/ species, but nevertheless.
>>
>>2721071
>If it's a tomato, or honestly any nightshade family plant
Ain't it obvious from OPs photo that it's a rhubarb?

>>2720993
>SLUGS
These tend to leave slimy traces and are quite easy to spot early through the night, aren't they?
>>
>>2721072
>>2721073
>>2721075
Cute
>>
>>2720464
We don't really have those here, the last time I have seen one in my yard was like 3 years ago.

>>2721071
>>2720993
It's a rhubarb as the other anon said.
I'm not sure if it was done by slugs, I found no trace of them anywhere around but if they move on it would make sense because since I made this photo there was no further damage on this plant.
Initially I suspected it was one of those green worms eating leaves but there was no trace of any either.
>>
>>2721099
Crazy. Where I live it's like a plague after they emerge.
>>
>Got excited and germinated 30-40 heirloom cherry tomatoes
>Every single one germinated, every windowsill is crammed
>Nowhere near enough room to plant them

Time to pick up a hammer. What's your go to height and sizing of wood when you fellas make raised beds?
>>
>>2721091
>>2721099
Ah, sorry. Never grown rhubarb before. No idea what they looked like.
>>
>>2721165
Just cut them and eat them, bro. Microgreens are nutritious.
>>
>>2721165
I'd recommend one or more keyhole gardens. Lump charcoal makes a great drainage layer.
>>
>>2721343
NTA but with that design, most of the nutrients in the compost will leak into the ground below rather than get absorbed by the plants, I think.
Unless you're supposed to move the compost to the topsoil/plants after it's decomposed, I guess.
>>
>>2721355
No, it works just fine. It was developed by the Consortium for Southern Africa Food Security Emergency and the design has been in use for around 30 years. When the compost is finished you empty it into the top of your grow bed. It will work better with lump charcoal for the drainage layer and with added composting worms, but there's no problem with the design.
>>
>>2721337
Aren't tomato greens toxic though, or is that just for more mature plants?
>>
>>2721606
Ah, I just looked it up. It's true. I didn't know.
>>
Last year my veg was all about looks.
Purple peas, black carrots this sort of stuff.
This year I want to focus only on taste.
What are your favorite cultivars of various vegetables that may not be a lookers but taste great?
>>
>>2721654
Any kind of brandywine tomato. My favorite is black brandywines
>>
File: plantssofar.png (3.63 MB, 2728x893)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB PNG
>>2720211
I'm really exited. Everything except the oregano is growing and that's probably because I planted it way too deep. I'll see what happens.
Parsely was the one that was a late starter and then once it broke through the top it's doing really really good.
I'll have to cut some of them out, I didn't expect so many to actually sprout. I don't know how many I can fit in such a small area.
Green onions coming along really really well, almost faster than I can feasibly eat them in meals since I only eat once a day. I do load my meals down with the suckers though.
>>
>>2721892
Looking good, anon.
>>
>>2721894
I'm doing tons of yardwork because I would like to do this outside. I have a teeny tiny house with not much growing space but a kinda big yard that's overrun with tree saplings.
This is a really fun hobby/activity/whatever. Maybe it's because it's the beginning but I like waking up to see what happened overnight and then when I get home to see what happened during the day when the sun was out.
>>
>>2721896
It's definitely satisfying to grow things to eat. I'm excited about some of the things I'm growing this year. I'm adjusting to zone 5 from zone 7 and I'm trying to get a few things to volunteer. I have some fast fruiting tomato cultivars and I'm planting some perennial crops like chives, strawberries, raspberries, and creeping thyme.
>>
>>2721896
>but I like waking up to see what happened overnight and then when I get home to see what happened during the day when the sun was out.
yeah, this is really amazing. Maybe it’ll wear off, but for me, the best part is the kids enthusiasm.
>look daddy, a tomato sprouted while you were at work! Daddy, quick! Look!!!
That’s so fantastic.
>>
>from +30C to -2 in 3 days
All of new leaves are fucked, hope rest is ok.
>>
>>2722402
I hope so too. If you watch the forecasts you can try to prevent another freeze from killing your plants by covering them with a tarp or straw or both

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.