[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Hazard 4.jpg (72 KB, 500x476)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
I really really like the way Slingbags look, but I hear they are bad for hiking since they distribute the load unevenly. How retarded would I be to get one as a daypack for 6-8h hikes with around 2500 feet elevation, hiking in the alps?
>>
>>2716586
Get a bumbag instead. If you really don’t want to be a bumchad then I guess you can use this but I don’t see the advantage over a standard backpack.
>>
>>2716593
There probably isn't any advantage, I just like the aesthetic.
>>
You go out to have people look at you?
>>
>>2716598
Yes, I'm a self-obsessed fashion faggot, now please answer if this shit will fuck up my spine.
>>
File: 3d4mokl12pn71.png (162 KB, 616x602)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
>>2716598
Why yes I choose my gear based on looking badass and not min-maxing stats how could you tell?
>>
They're not bad for hiking. They're stupidly bad for hiking. As in, a load that would have been just fine for 20 miles with a regular pack will give you serious back pain in like 2 miles with a single shoulder design. When I see people using sling bags, I automatically know they just bought it and don't actually go outside very much.
>>
>>2716586
Sorry anon, but they're only useful when you're carrying virtually nothing. That means they're OK in some situations (like when you're fly fishing and just carrying an unhooking mat and some flies), but you're better off just getting a backpack.
>>
>>2716598
If you look good you get +5 to all stats. Totally serious.
>>
>>2716586
there's literally 0 reason to use slingbags if you're not some sort of bike courier
>>
>>2716586
Most slingbags will be too small to put a notable amount of weight in, unless you're bringing kettlebells along for the hike. For day hikes they'd probably work okay; try one out and see if you like it.
>>
>>2716631
>>2716632
I figured as much, I'm already having some shoulder pain when carrying a messenger satchel at work all day.
What's even the point of slingbags then?
>>
>>2716683
So you can swing it around in front of you and take stuff out of it without taking it off. This is pointless unless you're doing this every five seconds at some kind of specialized job.
>>
>>2716602
Did you grow up playing Fortnite? It looks like some shit from that. You're not going to go outside for any substantial length of time based on what you've told us already so we can assume it won't fuck your spine.
>>
File: e55.jpg (161 KB, 1890x1417)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>2716696
>Slingbags are a zoomer thing
The absolute state of you
>>
>>2716702
They're actually a boomer thing like everything else that blatantly wrecks your body and doesn't work.
>>
>>2716586
this board is pure larp
how fucking sad do you have to be to larp fucking hiking?
>>
>>2716759
I feel like there's some bitter, fat, handicapped person in a gaming chair somewhere screaming "LARP! LARP!" in every single thread as a temporary alternative to suicide.
>>
>>2716759
"Hiking" is just walking without concrete. It's a nonhobby. You have to zazz it up. It needs zazz. Larp walking dressed like Aragorn or a tier 1 operator or a cowboy makes it muchbmore fun
>>
>>2716768
That's how I've always felt about snowshoeing. Snowshoes are just a tool that let you get work done in snow without burning 1000 calories per step. "Snowshoeing" is not a thing unless you have no life, and neither is hiking.
>>
File: Muttenchopf.jpg (1.17 MB, 1377x2251)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>2716759
Here's me at the Muttsee after hiking up from Linthal last summer. I wore a Helikon-Tex Foxtrot Mk2 with a Metal gear patch because it kinda looks like an ALICE buttpack and I like to LARP while walking around in the mountains. So yes, I LARP. But I do hike.
>>2716768
Pretty much. Watch it cause massive seethe though.
>>
>>2716768
>>2716773
>>2716792
>it's the "hiking is not a real hobby" meme again

So what separates a hobby from a "non-hobby"?

Are these hobbies?

>camping
>backpacking
>trail running
>mountaineering
>rock climbing
>mountain biking
>gravel biking
>cycling
>skiing

Where do you draw the line?
>>
>>2716798
depends on your intention. hobby is anything you do for the sake of doing it, literally everything you can think of can be a hobby
>camping because you can't find any lodging for the night: probably not a hobby
>camping because you love the feel of sleeping in a tent: hobby
>climbing a mountain because your job requires you to do shit on top of it: not a hobby
>climbing a mountain because you love the view and fresh air: hobby
>cycling yo get from point A to point B: not a hobby
>cycling as a form of exercise: hobby
>>
>>2716798
I didn't say "hobby". I said "a thing". "Hobbies" are for people with no life. Snowshoes were invented for serious business like bow hunting moose to feed your family. That's why they exist.
>>
>>2716798
Where the skill floor isn't something a toddler can do.
>>
>>2716807
My dad taught me how to bike when I was in preschool. Does that mean that cycling isn't a hobby?

>>2716806
Having a hobby and having a life isn't mutually exclusive

>>2716803
Fair
>>
>>2716813
>My dad taught me how to bike when I was in preschool. Does that mean that cycling isn't a hobby?
Yes. Racing is though.
>>
>>2716814
What if you're a really bad racer who always finishes in last place? Is his participation in races considered a hobby? If not, then where do you draw the line?
>>
>>2716807
Also, would hiking through the wilderness with a map and compass be considered a hobby? A toddler wouldn't be able to do that.
>>
>>2716819
You don't do orienteering. You take walks on walking paths at parks.
>>
>>2716815
I changed my mind. Bicycle riding is for faggots and is not a hobby at all.
>>
>>2716829
How would you know what I do and don't do?

>>2716830
So what's your idea of a rEaL hObBy? Collecting gear and jerking off to it?
>>
>>2716836
Hunting, fishing, woodworking, songwriting, writing, things that produce value. Exercise is just basic personal hygeine.
>>
>>2716843
So things that are done for fun cannot be considered a hobby if there's no output?

>weightlifting or marathon running
>playing any sport or martial art
>playing chess or board games
>boating, diving, surfing, snowmobiling, ATV riding
>salsa and other forms of dancing
>any sort of collecting
>studying history, philosophy, etc.

None of those things are hobbies to you?
>>
>>2716843
>things that produce value

Fucking lmfao
>>
>>2716846
You may as well just watch tv with half of those things. Exercise is necessary and basic personal hygeine and you should be doing resistance, flexibility, and cardio training. I just wouldn't describe it as a hobby.
>>
>>2716850
watching tv
Also a hobby if the person enjoys it. Not the most productive hobby in the world, but a hobby nonetheless. Just because you don't like an activity doesn't mean it's not a hobby for some people.
>>
>hobby
>a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation
That's it. If you like doing it and you're not getting paid for it, it's a hobby. Scratching your ass can be a hobby if you do it occasionally and enjoy it.
>>
> sling bag
> look at a 16th century equipment book and see snapsacks

Lol its just a 21st century take on an idea that has existed for centuries.
>>
File: tpt62vlxcu521.jpg (69 KB, 800x450)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>2716872
>>
>>2716984
Lol imagine trying to do fucking anything with that piece of shit flopping all around you constantly
>>
>>2716586
just switch sides so your spine evenly fucks up you complete imbecile.
>can fit a 5 dollar bill, 1 shirt and 1 10" rubber dick
>is even marketed as a gimmick
it's a purse you cunt
>>
File: coomer-2 (1).png (17 KB, 250x208)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>2717013
It's actually perfect size for my bong and my bad dragon
>>
>>2716586
For me, it's the Borealis sling
>>
>>2717297
bizarre lack of ass for a black chick
>>
>>2717300
Makes up for it with the size of her cock
>>
>>2717297
>the north face
sorry i don't support white genocide
>>
What are the dimensions? I've been looking for a pack like this for awhile that will nicely fit my break down carbine. I like having something I can fit my rifle and some basic camping necessities.
>>
>>2717897
Do you have the m&p fpc or the keltec sub 2000
>>
>>2716586
Get a mollie
>>
>>2716586
My slingbag is relegated to dayhikes, I mean...couple hours hikes.
It fits a water bottle, a knife and a folding pad to sit on.
And I like it exactly because it's small. Same with most lumbar packs.
One the size of OP's pic is just ridiculous, if you're going with something that large, might as well take a backpack, more comfortable.
>>
>>2716586
>hey i've heard from many, many people who are much smarter than myself that this is a bad idea for a very valid reason
>are they wrong because it lookz kewl?

you don't go outside anyway so why are you bothering with this thread
>>
>>2716602
I've walked with a Maxpidition one strap pack daily for 7 years now. 10,000 plus steps in a row, 15 to 28 lbs. depending. My shoulder was repaired 10 years ago(stitched 4 places in the Labrum. Gets to me once a great while, I've had to Steroid shots in that time when it got to be a problem. I say do it.
>>
>>2719017
Forgot, no spine issues.
>>
>>2716586
Pretty stupid. I understand wanting to look good but that should be towards the end of your list of priorities
>>
>>2716586
I know a guy that has back problems because he biked with a sling bag for almost a decade and never realized the connection.

These things are awful, just get a two shoulder bag.
>>2716595
I've hiked with shoulder strap bags before as an experiment--they're awful. I'd rather just get at 20liter day pack with two straps.
>>
>>2716586
You're not gonna get back problems from a bag that small
>>
>>2719285
Depends how much you use it.
There is no reason to get a single strap pack though. Just get a purse if you want something impractical that you're mostly wearing for style.
>>
Sling bags have notoriously bad ergos for comfort and weight. There are hardly any sling bags that can hold more than 10 or 15 pounds comfortable. You'd need a waist belt. You'd also need an ambidextrous sling bag so you can switch shoulders regularly as not to poopoo your posture. I still like sling bags but they are for carrying guns in that you can sling around fast and unzip and blast someone in the face while urban exing. The most notable sling bags are maxpedition and I wouldn't trust anything else much.
>>
>>2719698
I keep my gat in a neon fanny pack.
No one ever suspects.
>>
>>2716602
>>2719282
Carried a one strap toolbag for a few weeks and got horrific upper back pain, your mileage may vary. I say try it (maybe with something cheap) and see what happens
>>
>>2716807
as a dude who has hiked with a toddler...you are not going very far. So it takes some skill or at least ability to put some miles on and actually get anywhere or see anything
>>
>>2716586
It’s not that crazy of an idea. Ray Jardine does it. He hiked the PCT that way, switching shoulders, and using both if he had to scramble over something. Just because it’s unconventional doesn’t mean it’s undoable. When he wrote the PCT Hikers Handbook making your own gear and packing an ultralight load was unconventional.
>>
>>2716586
So.

I've had the same sling bag for over a decade. The Maxpedition Sitka gearslinger. Why did I buy it, how did I use it? I had a job which entailed climbing up places and using tools. So the sling bag allowed me to bring up tools and materials while having access to them easily.

Years later and while I still feel much affection for it, it's not practical. It has a third strap to stabilize the load and bring it close to your body, but once it starts bouncing up and down due to weight you'll be done in a short while. The most comfortable way to carry it is in the front, on my chest, but that just gets stares.

Just get a small light backpack that can go tightly and comfortable against your body if you plan to walk long distances with it. If you're climbing into windows, up poles and riding bikes, rock the sling.
>>
File: 1689212232614.jpg (50 KB, 855x855)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>2716586
I use a modified 5.11
pic and link rel, its really nice for day packing, I have mine set up to be good for 24 hours and I can also use it as a lumbar with their series belt and I can attach it to my kelty backpack when I camp
https://www.511tactical.com/skyweight-sling-pack.HTML
I use an amazon special water bottle holder on the strap instead of bottom slot so I can do everything without taking off the pack
I've been a sling hiker for several years and you cant really beat this one with a few adjustments.
>>
Sling packs are awful, not even once.
>>
>>2716631
yeah just keeping my mirrorless camera on a shoulder strap was very uncomfortable on hikes after a few hours, with higher weights I'd get fed up with it real quick
>>
>>2716696
Anon it’s a bag from tarkov and that’s boomer vidya ..
>>
File: 1713910923901028.gif (698 KB, 1012x1132)
698 KB
698 KB GIF
>>2716768
>"Hiking" is just walking without concrete. It's a nonhobby.
>>
>>2716792
Wish they make the back of the Foxtrot with something which can vent, but on the other hand great bag.
>>
>>2716768
>autism: the post
Good bait.
>>
>>2716586
if you're not carrying a 10/22 takedown in one then they're really good for looking like a faggot
>>
File: 1714432871403.jpg (140 KB, 470x470)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Are military bags /out/ approved or should I buy an actual hiking back pack.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.