[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ultralightbivy1.jpg (132 KB, 1082x706)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Hello, I am looking to buy a bivy that I could sleep in and not worry about rain also one that I could get past airport security. I found pic related but that will likely not keep me dry, what worked for you?
>>
Snugpack ionosphere’s are cheap and will keep you dry (taped seams). About 1.2kg stripped down pack weight, look a bit larpy though but good for stealth camping.
>>
>>2716651
Use a tarp or a rain poncho in addition to the one you posted and you should be good for almost all kind of weather. I had bought a british military surplus bivvy bag but I must admit that I have never used it. I didn't remember how much mosquitos are an issue in Finland and the one that I bought lacks the mosquito net.
>>
>>2716651
That’s the Borah Gear ultralight bivy. It’s designed to be used with a tarp. The fabric is a very thin (10d or 15d), DWR coated nylon. The idea is to provide protection against tiny splashes or incidental rain drops, and to keep the wind off of you. It’s actually a great compromise between a tent and a “regular” bivy (which is just a waterproof sack meant for very arid environments or uses where comfort aren’t a consideration).

You have to check tent stakes though. Trekking poles to.
>>
>>2716659
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXAY3v_cws8
>>
>>2716651
just get an ultralight tent instead. Bivvies' are only better for stealth
>one that I could get past airport security
I don't get this meme
>>
>>2716659
why do people keep shilling this piece of turd? there are just so many options out there. Just google "stealth tent"

Snugpack has the worst design of them all
>>
>>2716868
It has massive LARP appeal.

>>2716835
Weight. This bivy with the same companies 7x9 tarp is like 20oz with guylines and stakes.
>>
OP I have a waterproof bivy and it does work in the rain but I would not recommend it. If its raining while you set it up then it will get wet inside including your sleeping bag and whatever else you put inside. If its raining while you have to pack up everything will get soaked. If it rained while you were sleeping you will have to pack up on soaked ground.

If you are using a tarp or something with it then its alright. But if you are seriously thinking of using just a bivvy please think about these things.
>>
>>2716888
>fell for a meme
>it fucking sucks
I mean, people have been saying this since Internet forums became a thing (I’ve never met anyone IRL who suggested a bivy). They’re not really practical for anything outside of emergencies or maybe some military application.

Not to mention if it’s raining while at camp you can’t do shit but fucking lay there. Hammocks win that one, hands down. Super comfy to chill out in a hammock reading a book or something while it’s raining.
>>
>>2716868
It’s overflow from /k/. For some reason Snugpack is insanely popular with military cosplayers and pretend survivalists.
>>
File: 1000000083.png (1.59 MB, 1080x818)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PNG
>>2716651
guys please help me out. first time /out/ing, I bought this no name bivvy for $70. was planning to use it for stealth camping and the like. is it going to work in the rain? am I going to wake up covered in water/condensation? do I need to bring a tarp? reading >>2716888 and >>2716970 has got me pretty worried. should I go and buy something different?
>>
>>2716998
The problem isnt that the bivvy wont be waterproof. Its everything else. Just think about a situation where it starts raining and you want to set up your bivvy for sleeping. So in the middle of the rain when its downpouring you have to

>Take bivvy out of sack
>Lay it down
>open it
>unroll sleeping bag (in the rain btw)
>put all that shit inside the biivy
>Find somewhere to put bag/shoes thats out of the rain
>Change clothes
Doing all this in the rain things are going to get wet.
The reason a tarp is good is because it gives you lots of room to move around and do the things that you need to do. Like actually imagine the steps you would need to take when setting up/packing up your biivy/sleeping system and how you would do it in a rainy situation.

I use a biivy and tarp system a lot. The biivy just because I dont like insects on or around me while im sleeping.
>>
>>2716998
First, that’s not a bivy. Manufacturers like to play fast and loose with the nomenclature. It’s a tube tent. A bivy (shot for bivouac) is just a sack. See pic. They’re pretty terrible in most cases.

>$70
It won’t be waterproof, at least not completely. The fabric most likely is, but the seams won’t be until you seal them. For that price the Chinese sweatshop it came from certainly didn’t.

There’s also the issue of physical room. A lot of these cheap Chinese shelters can’t fit an adult non-Asian man. The one you posted also looks like it’s seriously lacking in ventilation too.

Best bet is to see if you can sell it to another chump and save up for something better. If you’re stuck on the idea of a tiny shelter with a tarp, the Borah Gear setup is pretty affordable.
>>
>>2717077
>>
>>2716651
Skip the bivvy and get a square tarp, fold it in half, and sleep on the bottom with the top pulled over top of (all of) you like a taco. You will have better ventilation, entrance&exit, and versatility.
Aquaquest Safaro tarp is primo.
>>
File: BivvyTarp.jpg (1.5 MB, 3212x1844)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
This is from a 6 day trip I did in the Canadian Rockies. Im no expert but it worked well enough. I cant imagine doing it with just the Bivvy. The Tarp allowed me room to protect my backpack and gear from rain, and just more freedom to move around.
>>
>>2716868
Why is it that when anyone who posts about anything thats either dark green, olive drab or has molle on it on this board the autists come out screeching about larping or military cosplayers?
I've used one of these in all seasons for years and its kept me dry, bug free and alive.
It doesn't have to made of the lightest most expensive cuben fibre or bright yellow or red to be effective at keeping you out of the elements.
Your prolly to fat to even fit one I guess.

> in before more autistic screeching about being a larping snugpak shill.

I fucking swear that this board is just an overflow from /b/ these days baka.
>>
I'm post-bivvy.

Initially it seemed like such a liberating idea, I can just plop it down anywhere and get a night's sleep, what's not to love? But then you feel the lack of functionality (being able to sit up/proper airflow) compared to a good old fashioned 2-man tent, and you realise, bivvies are for soldiers training for harsh conditions, and I am just camping for enjoyment.
>>
I wish there were more options that are basically just a sleeping bag that will keep bugs and snakes out of your shit.
>>
>>2717091
here is the why it's a massive steaming pile of shit: can't keep the entrance open in rain, also a massive pain in the ass to climb in. It's made out of cheapest piece of shit chinesium since it got popular and corner were cut. It weighs a lot for what it is which wouldn't be a problem if it were cheaper but it isn't.
>>
>>2717100
I've got an old one and it works fine, If you can't crawl into a tent then you prolly shouldn't be out. Spend more time in the gym and less time stuffing your face fattie.
>>
>>2717001
Do people not put the sleeping bag and mat inside the bivvy beforehand and then stuff the whole lot in a compression sack? I just assumed they'd roll it out, peg it down, and be done.
>>
>>2716651
I used to use a Eureka solitaire all the time. It was cheap, light, and durable. It's a touch roomier than a traditional bivy.
>>
>>2717114
Sleeping pads whether air or foam arent really compressible like a sleeping bag, you have to fold and roll them really tightly and carefully if you want to fit them in a tiny sack. And with sleeping bags you just kind of push it into the compression bag bit by bit, but with the bivvy over it, it doesnt really work. Theres like small pockets of air and it doesnt compress well, especially if you using a waterproof bivvy which usually has something like a gore-tex coating. I always pack all 3 seperately.
>>
>>2717088
comfy
>>
>>2717001
Yup. A bivy is amazing in good weather. You'll often just get the biv out if it's fine, but you need a tarp if the weather is going to suck. Then if you've got a tarp then you've got a pretty sweet dry area to hang out in all day while it rains, you can get a fire going beside it easy enough. This setup can beat a tent in some ways, but it has its drawbacks where you'd be better off to have a tent.
>>
>>2717094
Yeah I'm on my way there now. Love my bivy and have spent a lot of nights in it but when I've got to spend 2 hours finding a spot and setting up a perfect tarp rig to keep the incoming weather out after lugging my ass up a 500m tall slip face, yeah nah it's time to get a decent tent and save the bivvy for good weather trips.
>>
>>2716877
for 200 grams extra you have an actual waterproof tent to store your gear and sit up and chill in. And how will you change into dry clothes before entering your sleeping bag?
>>
>>2717077
get a load of this nerd yapping. Hooped bivies are still bivies
>>
>>2717188
>he wears clothes in his sleeping bag
ngmi
>>
>>2717198
>not using the free R-value layers you are already carrying because???
>>
>>2717091
>he called it larping
He didn’t. He just said it’s a turd.

>I’ve used one a lot
Several people have pointed out why it sucks. Does that make you a retard? Probably, lol.

>I stayed dry
So in all those years of use you’ve never once had to set it up or break it down in the rain? Weird.
>>
>>2717191
>Manufacturers like to play fast and loose with the nomenclature.
>>
>>2716835
last year i tried to get my one person tent into an airplane, they wouldn't let me because of the stakes, metal and a bit pointy. i had to leave the stakes behind and steal knifes forks and other cutlery from the restaurants i came by, it was fun but it felt kinda bad
>>
>>2717088
if you take a tarp like that i don't think you need the bivy at all. specially if you set up the tarp really low. i have done it with tarp and sleeping bag only and it was fine, although it was good weather summer over gravel
>>
>>2717188
Yeah, you definitely lose some utility. But you’re under a 7x9 (210x270) tarp. There’s plenty of space. Pretty good price too. I wouldn’t use one because of the issues of bug protection. As soon as the mosquitoes come out you have to lie down in your shelter.
>>
>>2717221
Insects and wind.
>>
>>2717219
this shouldn't be an issue with check in luggage right? I've taken tents, hiking poles, knives with stowed luggage
>>
>>2717299
yes, someone told me if you check in your bag you can carry spikes, crampons, piolets, whatever you want. not sure about knives.
>>
>>2717299
The TSA website is pretty extensive. Pretty much anything pointy has to be checked and can’t be carried on. The issue is that TSA agents are all retards, and will make up rules as they go.
>>
File: 1693560702772443.jpg (4.31 MB, 4608x2685)
4.31 MB
4.31 MB JPG
>>2716651
if it's raining and you want to do anything other than lie in a sack all day, no bivy alone will keep you dry. just take the tarp pill. if you care about stealth, you can set it up lower to picrel, but at least you have options.
>>
>>2716998
Been on a week long outing in a tent similar to this where it rained a lot of the days. It's manageable as long as you set the tent up right. Pull the base tight when you stake it down, and don't set it up in a depression. I didn't need a ground tarp either, but if you're going to use one make sure its folded up smaller than the base of the tent, if any part of the tarp sticks out, the water running down the side of the tent will be caught by the tarp and start to pool underneath you.

It can get pretty humid in there if it's both really hot out and raining but thats really only been bad enough to be a problem for me one time. Looks like yours has a vent right where your head goes which should make this even less of a problem for you.

As for your stuff, you can line the inside of your pack with a stuffsack or even just a plastic trashbag and put all your stuff in that to keep it dry. Then throw another bag over top of your pack of the outside and stand it up next to a tree or something. There should be enough room for your shoes inside the tent right up where your head goes.

When you fold it up, having a way to strap it to the outside of your the pack is useful because it will prevent it from getting the rest of the stuff inside you bag wet.
>>
Can anyone recommend me an ultra-light backpacking tent and mattress? will be taking on a plane so dimensions are critical

>picrel

if picrel didn't have to be held up with hiking poles and came with a sun cover I would buy instantly

>cover is $200

this is definitely the thread I have been looking for, help me out fellas.
>>
>>2717202
Wearing too many layers in your sleeping bag can cause you to sweat and actually loose body heat, It also makes the fabric damp so it doesn't insulate as well. This problem is even worse if you've been wearing these clothes and sweating in them all day. Especially bulky clothes like coats can also displace air that would have been trapped by in your sleeping bag for insulation.

Its also just more comfortable to wear less when you sleep, and if you have a good enough sleeping bag it should be able to keep you warm even when you're naked.
>>
>>2719276
>recommend one
Durston X-Mid. The 1p is plenty big enough.
>yeah but telling poles though
Bro you can use an aluminum pole. Most manufacturers offer it as an option.
>>
>>2719276
Just read this guy's gear reviews, they are spot on: https://sectionhiker.com

You can click on the manufacturer links he provides for a discount. An excellent resource.
>>
>that I could get past airport security
Just tell us about the vagabond trip you're planning
>>
>>2719299
>Wearing too many layers in your sleeping bag can cause you to sweat
Sounds like an issue of wearing too many layers
>>
>>2717088
Do you know the dimensions of your tarp? Maybe 3x3m?
>>
>>2719800
No way, maybe 9x7, maybe 9x6 even.
>>
File: Tarp.png (159 KB, 988x555)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
>>2719800
It was actually 2.9x2.1 meters
If I were to buy another tarp I would actually get one slightly bigger to have a bit more space under it.
>>
>>2719855
Thanks, I'm looking at getting a 3x3m one so that sounds about right
>>
>>2717202
>he needs r-value from his clothes when he's inside his sleeping bag
Pack a better bag
>>
>>2720142
Nta
How is it better if it will cost hundreds and weigh more than what he already has? If what he’s bringing is already owned, comfortable for the conditions, and lighter than the alternative, what’s the advantage to buying a replacement?
>>
>>2720142
Yeah this >>2720166 why should you have multiple bags for each season and climate condition when you can just have one or two (summer and winter bags) and adjust your clothing for the conditions, sounds like a waste of space and money
>>
>>2720166
>cost hundreds
>muh weight
lol
>>
>>2720603
>I don’t care about weight
I love when people on /out/ broadcast to the rest of the board that they’re newfaggots but don’t even realize it.
>>
>>2720608
>if you don't obsess over weight with all the feverish intensity of a child with crippling autism arranging his yugioh cards, it means you're new
Guess I've been new for a long time
>>
>>2720648
Yes, you’re new. You don’t consider the weight of one of the heaviest items in your pack to be an issue because you don’t understand why it matters. It’s not obsessive, it’s pragmatic and basic bitch backpacking. They even teach this in the Boy Scouts; you’re less knowledgeable than literal children.

And you still haven’t said what the advantage is, again because you’re just a clueless faggot.
>>
>>2720695
Weight's important, but is 200g of extra sleeping bag down the most important thing to cut? Especially since being able to put on extra clothing is most people's safety margin when it comes to temperature.
>>
>>2720699
>cut weight
Try to keep up.

The insinuation was that people should not sleep in their clothes and should instead use a sleeping bag (or quilt) with a higher temp rating. No one can say what the advantage is.

>safety margin
LARP harder
>>
>>2720608
>use a better bag
>"y-you're NEW"
lmao
>>
>>2720715
>my setup is totally adequate for the temperatures I’m camping in
>”n-nooo! You need a new sleeping because… you just do, okay?!”
>>
>>2720709
>LARP harder
t. faggot who has never had to put on his thermals at night because the weather turned
>>
>>2720716
>my setup is adequate
>I have to wear my clothes in my sleepig bag
Pick one
>>
>>2720725
>hikes in his down puffy
What a fucking retard
>>
>>2720744
Didn't mention gay-ass puffy jackets, but it is retarded to sleep in them
>>
>>2720778
>doesn’t like down jackets
Holy shit Anon, stop taking ques from /k/.
>>
layering in a down jacket saved me while sleeping in 20 degree weather
>>
Anyone know of any good multicam/woodland camo bivys? Seems like the only good one is the carinthia surplus bivy, which is impossible to get.
>>
>>2720895
The US issue MSS bivy has been made in both patterns, but if you get the older woodland one you may need to refresh the goretex
>>
>>2720709
>No one can say what the advantage is
I already said it earlier, temperature of course varies, a lower temp rating sleeping bag will of course be worse when the temperature rises and you get too hot, so either you can buy multiple sleeping bags for different temperatures or you can have one or two and change your layering according to conditions.
And even if you had a million sleeping bags for every temperature you can only take one camping and if it ends up being colder than usual of course you're going to layer up.
>>
>>2721038
>layering
The sleeping bag is the layer
>colder than usual
What is a forecast
>layer up
lol, no
>>
>>2721041
>What is a forecast
State of your reading comprehension, I already said it, you COULD have a hundred different sleeping bags line up a home for every single temperature variation but that would be an utter waste of money and space, and even if you picked the right one you might find the temperature is different then forecast, or even changes throughout the course of a trip.
>>layer up
>lol, no
I'd much rather have a sleeping bag rated for a higher temperature where I can put on more clothes is the temperature drops rather than one rated for a temperature lower than it really is in you're sweating in the bag all night, or have to do some shitty compromise with the zip half open.
Didn't this whole discussion start because someone said wearing clothes will make you sweat? Well a bag rated for too low of a temperature is obviously going to do that too and can't be changed like taking a layer on and off.
>>
>>2721043
>opening a few inches of sleeping bag zipper is too much work
kek
>>
>>2721115
>too much work
holy mother of bad faith arguing
never said it was too much work, just that it's a shitty compromise. I've camped before with bags that are way too hot and needed to unzip the whole thing and have my body halfway outside the bag, it's "too much work" it's just not as comfortable.
>inb4 some "real /out/ers don't care about comfort" bullshit
>>
>>2721341
>way too hot
Sounds like you packed the wrong bag, or slept in your clothes like a retard
>>
>>2721358
>Sounds like you packed the wrong bag
Yeah because I don't have a shelf at home with 100 different bags to choose from, and I'm not going to waste money on lots of different bags when I can just sleep in an extra pair of long johns if needed.
Almost like if you've only got the one bag you're better off with a higher temp rated bag so it's a good temperature in milder weather and if it gets colder you can put on more layers.
>or slept in your clothes like a retard
Kek you really think I would've have more layers on and didn't think to take them off? Fucking idiot.
>>
>>2721388
How is putting clothes on and off when your too hot different from unzipping bag when your too hot. In fact I would argue unzipping a bag is way quicker then removing clothes in the middle of the night
>>
>>2721388
>unzipping a bag is too much work, but taking clothes on and off throughout the night isn't
>having two bags at home and checking a forecast is too complicated, but bringing a bunch of extra layers and deciding how many to use on the fly isn't
It's like you specifically want going /out/ to be hard.
>>
>>2721394
>unzipping a bag is way quicker
Can confirm. I have two bags that I use depending on the season and I regulate temperature by opening/closing the zipper. Putting my clothes back on in the morning is always a slower process.
>>
>>2721394
>>2721481
Why do you retards assume I'm taking clothes on an off during the night
I put on the layers I'll need for the conditions and hop in the bag
The problem with undoing the zip is not doing it up and down during the night, it's the discomfort of having a certain amount of skin needing to be half out to get my body temperature right, if I have it fully zipped up I can move around during the night (on my side or back) without my body temp changing.
>having two bags at home and checking a forecast is too complicated
Why do you insist on being so fucking dishonest
I DO have two bags at home, one is a very lightweight summer one, the other is my generic winter one, however, this might come as a shock to you since you don't seem to go /out/ but temperatures during the colder months can range from everything between slightly cold to very cold.
Not to mention long johns/ thermals are a very lightweight, efficient way to warm the body that easily pack into a bag and also keep you warm around night time when you're outside of the bag.
I could buy a third sleeping back to shut up you autists if you'd like but it's still not going to cover every single temperature range and be as flexible as layering to conditions.
>and checking a forecast
Yeah I check the forecast and if it looks cold I pack my thicker thermals.
>>
>>2721513
You're the one being dishonest. Acting like its some big uncomfortable ordeal to open your bag a little and let some air flow in. Its the same as opening a window in room room when its too hot. You can still move around on your side and back, none of your body parts are leaving the sleeping bag unless you want them to.
Its insane that you cant understand the concept of wearing a jacket and unzipping it when you get too hot. Truly strange. It feels like you are arguing just to argue now so I wont respond to you anymore.
>>
>>2721518
>Acting like its some big uncomfortable ordeal to open your bag a little and let some air flow in
Never said that, it just makes no sense when wearing another layer is more comfy, seethe more.
Your entire argument is basically "BUT YOU COULD JUST BUY A CERTAIN BAG OR UNZIP IT OR SOMETHING" without actually saying why I shouldn't be layering up an ignoring all the advantages I've brought up, autism at its finest.
>and let some air flow in
It's not about air flow, it's about how much of your skin is exposed to the air outside the bag, and it's going to change when you move around depending on how much the bag opens up around the zip. If my zip is on the right side and I turn to my right it'll be completely covered, if I turn on yo my left side it's fully exposed.
The whole point of a bag is to insulate yourself to the outside environment and opening the zip on one side up creates uneven pockets of hot and cold, it's better than sweating up a bag of course but it's still not ideal.
Handy little lesson for you in case you ever actually end up camping in your life.
>>
>>2717116
I used a Solitaire for a week on Isle Royale. Loved it other than it breathed a little too well and I woke up chilly every morning I was there because it dipped into the 40's overnight. Other than that it was light and I could comfortably sleep inside of it, all 6 feet of me plus my ALICE and boots at the mouth of it.
>>
>>2721513
>>2721521
>nooo I never said it was uncomfortable
You specifically listed discomfort as a reason you refuse to unzip your sleeping bag.
>but but but my uneven air will make my skin all chilly willy and that hurrrts
You sound like a whiny bitch that pitches a fit if he can't have his favorite onesie to sleep in.
>>
>virgins arguing about sleeping bags
>not using a quilt like a Chad
>>
>>2721650
I use a bivy and wool blankets
>>
>>2721675
lol, why?
>>
>>2721722
Hey man, he's already in a bivy. He knows what he wants.
>>
>>2721723
>he knows what he wants
Doubt.
>>
>>2721722
The bivy keeps the blankets contained and provides rain protection. I can also put my air mat inside the bivy so that I don't roll off of it during the night.
>>
>>2721743
Lmao!
>>
>>2721518
The no zipper outist is correct I think.
Any nobjockey can unzip their bag, its the practicality of it that is his point.

Too hot, unzip bag, have to waft constantly or hang half out, now the exposed bit is too cold, jiggle or zip up a while, get too hot..repeat.
When do you sleep? And wake up a sweaty mess?

Done this too many times. Better option is a less rated bag and thinking about using a poncho liner or long johns etc.

/end discussion no wanky cone backs from the gobshite arguing about it
>>
>>2721803
>have to waft constantly or hang half out
lol no, just let a bit of air in
>wake up a sweaty mess
skill issue
>nobody can reply because I said so
welcome newfag
>>
>>2717088
3mx3m tarp with 5 lugs per side and some paracord is the GOAT multitool of camping
>>
>>2721835
>paracord
You madman, what have you done
>>
Gossamer gear the one. Super light, size of a 16oz nalgene, can sit up in it. Has a tub floor to keep you dry, vestibule for gear. What more do you need? https://www.gossamergear.com/collections/shelters-sleeping-pads/products/the-one
>>
>>2722366
Double walls so I don’t have a puddle on the tent floor in the morning.
>>
>>2722366
Poles that aren't sold separately like a shitty game DLC
>>
>>2722437
Bro that’s literally every non-freestanding tent. Wtf are you talking about?
>>
>>2717088
You're gonna eventually find that there is such a thing as too much rain for the tarp. The ground still gets wet and it'll spread underneath you. Get a legit bivy
>>
File: Shelter.jpg (109 KB, 1280x584)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>2723074
Not sure exactly what you mean by legit bivy, but mine is waterproof and rated for 4 seasons either rain or snow. I also have a large waterproof garbage back that I can fit my entire backpack into If it gets too wet outside.
>>
>>2720953
The marine issue one is rarer and therefore more expensive if you're not lucky, but it's available in a nice plain brown color that doesn't make you look like a lost airsofter.
>>
File: IMG_20230909_192618-min.jpg (1005 KB, 4608x3456)
1005 KB
1005 KB JPG
>>2720953
Got a woodland MSS for like 25$, all the fucking seam tape came off after the first use. Bought a cheap roll of new tape and re-applied all the seams with a fucking iron. Took a while and I probably got permanent brain damage from the glue fumes, also did a nikwax goretex wash and treatment. Now its literally bombproof, slept in complete downpours and woken up with a pool of water beneath and on top of the bivy, yet still dry on the inside. Never really understood the problems people get with condensation, maybe its only the hooped bivys that get that problem
>>
>>2723433
Only problem I have had with the MSS so far is that it is too short, I'm 6 feet 4 and have to sleep slightly curled to fit inside. I'm a bivy chad for life so I will try to get hold of one the british surplus bivys since they are a bit longer
>>
>>2723433
>condensation
Same. I go out when it's below freezing and if I close up the hood and breathe right on the fabric it gets clammy, but otherwise I wake up just as dry as when I started. I've always assumed people whining about condensation are either sleeping in trash bags or are just really sweaty.
>>
>>2716651
poncho. get a big full length one and practice setting it up with some cordage. I found one in a surplus store that has nylon tarp rivets in it and rolls up into itself no metal about 4 inches by 6 inches.
>>
>>2717081
you take a queen sized wool blanket, fold it in half, put it on top of a tarp, fold the tarp around the blanket and roll it up, cinch it up on the ends with some cordage and lash it to pack, motorcycle, the dog or the wife. any pack animal will do.
>>
>>2717099
I slept in a mummy bag for the first time in years and it was cold af out. woke up both my arms were asleep and I couldn't get out. alone. had to pee.
finally after squirming around for 5 minutes getting some circulation going I got to the pins and needls phase, and I wish someone had been there to film it what a nightmare. finally got out just in time to not pee myself.
>>
>>2717308
you can check a firearm.
>>
>>2716651
i like the geertop ultralight, it was comfy
>>
Looking for a hooped bivy, preferably tactical in nature for some stealth camping. The two I was looking at were snugpack ionosphere and the dutch army surplus bivy. Each have their pros and cons. I primarily like the snugpack for its crossover poles making it freestanding, and it's mosquito net + its from a well known manufacturer.
However the dutch army bivy is camo, also has some some mosquito net function, and seems to be durable, using the carinthia bivy design, zippers seems to be better than on the snugpack, but is only single pole/semi free standing, and Im not very familiar with the fresca repros.
Does anyone here have any experience with either/both of them? Would you recommend them? What issues have you had? Are they durable? For waterproofing I assume im gonna have to supplement with a tarp and probably apply some nikwax from time to time. Also if anyone has any other recommendations Id happily check them out, as long as its a hooped bivy.
>>
>>2721523
Yeah. Definitely airy. You gotta seriously make sure the bag will comfort zone you down to the temperatures you'll be in.
>>
>>2725250
Sorry, I meant the stratosphere, not the ionosphere
>>
>>2725250
>use a camafloged bivy
>i'm walking and don't see it
>i step on it and you are crushed to death
>>
>>2725260
That wont happen, I'm a very strong person.
>>
>have bag rated for cold
>it's very cold
>put on lvl7 jacket

wheres the problem niggers?
and I don't strip down anyway bc I always want to be ready to get up and go just having to put on my boots, my ruck already done aside from the bag and mat and bivy to put back in

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.