[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 7617407979596507.jpg (3.06 MB, 1750x1158)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
Have you ever visited the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina/Tennessee?
>>
File: img-thing_out_sm.jpg (18 KB, 300x300)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2717551
No but I hear they're whonderful
>>
File: 1689864269274641.gif (1.21 MB, 498x280)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB GIF
>>2717551
No I live in UK. The best /out/ country on Earth.
>>
>>2717705
>UK
>best /out/ country
>>
The Cumberlands are better, with more caves, waterfalls and less tourists, although unfortunately we're full.
>>
I like the southern Appalachians in general but Smoky Park proper is a place that I avoid. It's a major tourist zone where you have to pay to park and everything is illegal. I drive through it occasionally and it's a nice scenic drive, but it's basically just proof of overpopulation.
>>
>>2717864
Is that white rocks? the problem is the view is basically facing farmland, I want to look the other way
also ever been to pogue creek canyon? I really want to get out that way
>>2717871
I'm not going to proper Smoky I'm gonna be closer to Boone
>>
>>2717874
Go down 181, lots of great hiking and free camping without crowds.
>>
>>2717864
Moving to that region in December. I'm excited for the /out/ opportunities.
>>
>>2717877
that's too far out of the way unfortunately, I'm going between roan highlands and grayson highlands and looking for stuff that way, I was going to take unaka mountain road but apparently that's closed for repairs
>>
>>2717885
When you're done go down to Asheville and suck off a tranny
>>
>>2717890
You just put em on clutch
>>
>>2717890
going the other way, looking for the best scenic route between roan and grayson hopefully with some nice short stops between
been reading a lot of weird reviews like that waterfalls are super dangerous and people write in that someone died there
and there's one thing where you have to pay 25 bucks and there's cables and ladders to get up to the top, that's a bit much for me
>>
>>2717892
I've never paid money to go outside once in my entire life
>>
>>2717893
that's cool, I pay sometimes, I don't mind that much, what's more annoying is them having weird hours you have to be there or you get gated in/out or permit requirements

also fun random fact im pretty sure linville gorge is the only wilderness with a bridge across a river
>>
>>2717890
fuck off we're full
>>
>>2717879
I hope you're at least from the south (and not Florida). Got family here?
>>
I’ve been to GSMNP several times, first going in the late 90’s. It’s the countries most visited national park.

The popular tourist spots have a lot of people (the popular spots are popular; shocking!). The ~70 mile AT section can get busy, but nothing like Clingman’s Dome or Alum Cave. Nothing in the park is as crowded as the bust spots in Zion or the Grand Canyon.

Other than that and you might see a few people here and there. I’ve had trips where I’ve seen literally no one for three days. The only thing extraordinary about that is how crowded the park is otherwise.

There are a lot of rules. You have to stay in designated sites (which have to be reserved) and off-trail hiking isn’t allowed. Each site has a cable bear hanging system, and there are shelters long the AT. The park is free to enter but there is a parking fee (it’s not much).

National Parks exists specifically for scenic beauty and historic significance. There’s a give and take; there are more people and more rules (because there are more people), but they contain some of the coolest environments and beautiful places.
>>
The entire region is amazing. 2 examples.
The Ocoee Whitewater Center in Ocoee Tn was developed for the 1996 Summer Olympics. It is great for kayaking, canoeing and whitewater activities. The Benton McKay Trail connects to it if you want southern Appalachian Hiking other than the Appalachian Trail.
The Nantahala Outdoor Center in Nantahala NC and is also great for whitewater activities and it sits astride the Appalachia Trail.
>>
>>2717891
what does that mean?
>>
>>2717864
Why is the visibility so poor? so hazy
>>
>>2718236
assuming this was taken the last few years we have had a lot of wildfire smoke at various times
>>
>>2717551
No, I don't want to get shot.
>>
>>2717551
Only for reunions since relatives own land there. Haven't gone to one since I was a child though.
>>
>>2721003
I tried to tell my family that I bet that the big houses we see that look like vacation rentals up on some of the mountains are probably especially for family reunions and they didn't believe me.
>>
>>2718236
>>2718239
Is this a joke? That haze is caused by trees releasing VOC’s that then react with with humidity. It causes a blue tinge (“Blue Ridge Mountains”) that looks almost like smoke (“Smoky Mountains”). The animated gif I posted was taken on the AT maybe 10 miles from Clingman’s Dome. That’s mist rolling through the woods.

What, did you guys think we were joking when we said condensation is a serious problem here?
>>
>>2721009
can you tell the trees to stop doing that so I can get a clearer view
please

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.