[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>ruins your /out/door kino
>>
File: tears.gif (3.98 MB, 480x230)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB GIF
>>2718240
I'm developing a phobia because of these shits.I get covered with them every time I go out.I grew up in the woods,for fucks sake,and I never saw more than one on me every once in a while.
>Pick 10 of 'em off of me before I head home.
>Driving home one crawls onto my eyelid,and I almost crash.
>Throw all my gear in the dryer to kill any stragglers.
>Mfw then lint trap in the dryer has a dozen more....
>>
This dweeb shit, unfortunately, works. Utilize clothing that covers you while still allowing you to dry out and cool off quickly, minimize gaps in coverage of skin, permethrin treat everything that isn't your underwear or something you might slobber on in your sleep, and regularly DEET whatever's left uncovered.

you should even treat your car seats.
>>
they're annoying, but i'm convinced chronic lyme is bullshit.
>>
I had a tick on my ballsack once, wasn't fun
>>
File: Welcome to out.png (195 KB, 1418x315)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
>>2718240
just use permethrin pussy ass faggot
>>
>>2718382
>Internationally giving yourself super-cancer just because your afraid of a little bug
Absolutely lmao
>>
>>2718358
>t. become woman because sweat balls off
>>
>>2718405
I hiked in a combat shirt and quick-dry cargo pants last weekend, heat and sweat wicking was fine. It breathed like a t-shirt, and I can't imagine a different outfit making much of a difference on a really hot day.
>>
File: FR8PoYWXIAANoLi.jpg (320 KB, 1601x900)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>>2718240
Be a man. Pull it off and eat it.
>>
That's not a chigger.
Go have yourself two dozen chigger bites then come back and make the thread on worst outdoor insects.
>>
>>2718625
>I hiked in a combat skirt
>>
>>2718384
As long as you aren't drinking the stuff you're more likely gonna get cancer from the sun than it
>>
>>2718674
Used to be a zogbot, one time the CO decided we needed to do an surprise overnight FTX. He had us set up in an umanaged field, turns out shit was full of chiggers. Almost everyone in the company got their feet covered in stylostomes. Fucking nightmarish.
>>
File: propper combat shirt.jpg (81 KB, 824x1000)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>2718687
If an outdoor clothing manufacturer would make these in non-mil colors without the patch panels and call it something non-cringe I'd be all for it. Apart from the patch panels and the colors they get made in, the features are exactly what I need to go for speed in a hot, thorny Ozark mountain wood without worrying about ticks.
>>
>>2718371
The same thing happened to me. I discovered it in the bath but it must have popped in my pants. Pulling that fucker out was a bitch
>>
>>2718674
>>2718736
Total chigger death
>>
>>2718736
>zogbot
>CO
>FTX
you're gonna have to explain these terms buddy
>>
>>2719076
>zogbot
/pol/speak for armed forces
>CO
(C)ommanding (o)fficer
>FTX
(F)ield (T)raining E(x)ercise
>>
>>2718358
I recoat my pants with permethrin every time I go out. I dont even care if they havent been washed and the last time i hiked was recently, they are getting recoated. Ever since I started doing this I really havent had any ticks on me, thus stuff is like a magical ward to them
>>
>>2718240
>Be UK guy
>go to "forest"
>Wasp tries to bother you
>Kill wasp
>"Put the kettle on -- time for a cuppa I reckon"
>Go back to reflexively looking at the tower block in the distance
>*sigh*
>>
>>2718789

American: I must hyper-consume everything to the point where 15,000 manhours has gone into its development, only then can I be satisfied. Why are you all so unknowingly like this here?
>>
SInce this is the bloodsucker thread: Do any light "summer" gloves exist I could wear to cover skin so there's at least SOME layer between the mosquitos and me? Coating myself in chemicals only goes so far.
>>
>>2718240
I know a lot of outdoors-y people who've just made peace with the fact that they'll get bitten by these guys. I think it's the right move.
>>
>>2719531
Neoprene work gloves work OK.
>>
File: 1644621691077.gif (1.51 MB, 352x264)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB GIF
>>2718384
>Internationally
Permethrin can't pass through human skin. As long as you don't ingest it internationally it doesn't hurt you. Also deet doesn't repel ticks for anyone wondering.

lmao
>>
>>2718371
this is actually the only time I've seen a tick on my body, other than crawling up my legs.
Damn suckers LOVE balls.
I have to shave my balls in the summer just to spot and remove them easier!
>>
>>2719644
what about those ultrasonic things?
do those work? My gf wants me to wear two dog collars on each leg to repell the ticks.
>>
>>2718240
>Be me
>Go out 2-5 times / week, often for 20+km
>In what's supposedly the most tick-infested area north of the alps
>haven't been bitten once in 17 years
Are ticks even real?
>>
>>2719649
I've never heard of those, but probably not. I spray my shoes and my bed (because dogs) every two weeks over summer and I haven't had a tick on me in years.
>>
>>2718384
Permethrin and pyrethrins don't effect people like they do bugs. Surprise - bugs and people don't have identical biologies. These chemicals are derived from chrysanthemums, which are eaten by humans as food in various parts of the world. Lrn2Science dumbass. All insecticides are not the same. Thinking they are is like thinking olive oil is as carcinogenic as motor oil because "hurr durr they're both oil".
>>
>go out want to enjoy life in nature have a good time
>get lyme disease
>never be the same again

What did god mean by this? Ticks have been infecting people with lyme since the late stone age, oetzi the frozen mummy even had it in his body, and he had tattos on joints to probably try and cure all his pain he had from it.

It's 2024, can't we create some pathogen to kill these fuckers, along with mosquitoes, horseflies etc? I don't give a fuck about the eco system damage it would cause, I want a comfy outdoors.
>>
>>2718240
Never had a tick myself but took 4 off my dog last week. Fuck these yiddish insectoids
>>
What's worse, Lymes or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever?
Both are bacteria spread by ticks, Borrelia in lymes and Rickettsia rickettsii in rmsf.
>>
>>
>>2719721
It will only get worse too.
>>
>>2719721
>What did god mean by this?
>god

The US government created Lyme Disease as a bioweapon. This is common knowledge and not even a conspiracy theory anymore.
>>
>>2719818
>north carolina
Can confirm; I barely remember getting to the hospital because of the fever
>>
>>2718240
That's why I usually hike and camp in the dead of winter. I fucking hate ticks.
>>
Went back home to kansas
Averaging 1 a day even light yard work
In pacific nw I can fish in grass above chest and be fine
>>
>>2718240
This is why I go camping with my pet turkey. He just eats all the ticks for me.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.