[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sunset-boulder-1.png (61 KB, 184x301)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87

New USDA zone map has been released: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/

Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hügelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, City Slicker Composting, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting, Alpaca, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

previous: >>2710237

Spring is here.
Hope you got to enjoy the eclipse.
>>
it looks like it was a quite short winter where i am, so i might try my hand at something that will appreciate the longer growing season. no idea on what though.
>>
>>2718306
You're so fucking early on this bake, other thread hasnt even broke 200 replies
>>
>>2718487
wheres the other one i didnt see it. i thought the last thread got archived a couple days ago.
>>
>>2718487
It's no big deal. The threads are moving much faster now that spring is here!

Just be patient. This one, too, will grow.
>>
>>2718665
well then,
/HGM/ - Homegrowmen 388
Spring is here early and so is the next thread.
>>
>>2718688
It can just be 387 part 2 :)
>>
Is there a 3d garden planner tool I can use to make a sketch of my garden and mark down which places gets the most sun, what grows where etc?
>>
>>2720190
I have fanciful thoughts of developing this almost every week.
But yeah there's a gap in the market for this - it just isnt very lucrative.
>>
>>2720190
I've heard of apps you can use for this but I don't know any names
>>
File: 20240415_123640.jpg (3.28 MB, 2993x3991)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
I transplanted some volunteer red cedar saplings to pots the other day but can't seem to find any info on how to start them as bonsai from scratch. Most of the hits on search engines are just maintenance and boilerplate GPT write-ups. Specifically I'm wondering if I need to wait a year to start shape pruning in case that's too much stress when combined with the potting, or if I can start wiring either way.
>>
File: 20240415_150914.jpg (821 KB, 1333x966)
821 KB
821 KB JPG
>>2720190
Here you go bro, I got this for you.
>>
>>2720285
I would let it establish in the pot first, but that size you should be able to start some small shaping now. Should have done some pruning with the transplant.
>>
>>2720397
Thanks. So it's too late to prune at this point, until fall maybe? Reading that I should get proper cutters anyway.
>>
I got an eley hose reel earlier and it should be arriving later this week, hopefully it's as good as people say.
I already have their nozzles and quick connects and they are fantastic.
>>
>>2720190
I'd like something like this too. We'll have to make do with pen and paper.
>>
Is it possible to blur your property in Google Maps? You can do it for Street View, but can you do it from the aerial view of the map?
I mean, even if you can't see my property and all I have from the street, does it even matter when you can see it clearly from above?
In fact, the latter is much worse, because I can just put a fence or privacy screen for the former, but no way to have some privacy for the latter.
>>
There is a patch I have which used to have a tree planted there
I want to make a vegetable patch but I don't know the ideal way of removing all the roots
Any suggestions?
>>
>>2720643
Also the roots are about 1 inch wide max
>>
>>2720643
Maybe add some worms so they break the roots down?
>>
>>2720659
>add some worms
Lol
>>
>>2720190
Most arcitectural software will do but they are usually extremely expensive. There might be a free alternative if you search for some open source cad software but it wont be 3d. Just use a pen instead
>>
>>2720714
They are extremely easy to pirate, you say? Why would anyone do that?
>>
When it comes to water desalination plants, I find people who go "hurr durr too energy intensive and expensive to feed a city!!" retarded, because water desalination can be much more useful and sustainable than direct use.
>Desalinate water, fill ponds, and irrigate with that water
>Vegetation grows and brings in rain
>Clean, renewable, natural water from replenished groundwater, rivers, reservoirs, etc.
Where does rain come from? Evaporated ocean water.
That rain then fills reservoirs, rivers and aquifers, which is where most people get their water from.
That's what a desalination plant can do artificially: create "rain" to prevent water scarcity, or put the water cycle in a given area on steroids.
>>
>>2720190
There's a yt channel called GrowVeg, they have a website that sells an app or a program, can't remember. It's on their website which they usually link in their videos. I think it's like $35 a year but they have a free trial version I believe.
>>
>>2720536
From the pic it looks healthy and vibrant, small prunes and adjustments would probably be great for it. I just wouldn't do any big prunes until its established after the transplant, just to be sure.
>>
File: chilis.jpg (894 KB, 4032x2268)
894 KB
894 KB JPG
I need some chili help anons.
Sometime around march 22nd (I don't remember exactly) I started my chilis for this year (yeah I know, I'm late, like every year). I primed them and put them in one of those plastic shell greenhouses for seed germination.
The varieties I have are Cayennes, Trinidad Scorpions, Aji Charapita, Striped Sugar Rush and Brown Fatalii. The former 2 are from seeds from last year's plants, the latter 3 are from a store.
Germination on the bought seeds has been all over the place, with the aji charapita having great germination rates, the sugar rush having meh rates and not a single fatalii seed germinating. At least my homemade seeds from last year almost all germinate.
I'm also in germany, apparently where I live is the equivalent of USDA Hardiness zones 8a-8b.
Last frost dates are still almost a month away, so I won't be able to keep the seeds in that mini greenhouse until then, and the seedlings are starting to touch the plastic housing, one or two also don't look too healthy in there anymore, my guess is the humidity is too high for actual plants, it's just good for seeds.
Picrel is the tray, ignore the glue gun sticks, those are just to keep the varieties apart.
What would you say I should do?
Remove the plastic lid, transplant into small bags of soil and keep at room temp? Moving them into their final containers would take up too much time in my flat if kept indoors, and outdoors it's too cold for them to grow. Or keep them in there for a bit longer with the heat mat? The seedlings are big enough to touch the top of the plastic, but they have very small roots still.
>>
File: struggle.jpg (803 KB, 4032x2268)
803 KB
803 KB JPG
>>2721172
Picrel are the type of issues I see starting to pop up with 2-3 seedlings, where the leaves are getting brown spots, which made me think the high humidity in the plastic dome might be too much for them now.
>>
>>2721172
They are stretching. The light is too far from them. The light needs to be closer.

Additionally, for clarification, I do not think you are in the equivalent of zone 8 if you still have a month until last possible freeze. I am in zone 9 and our last freeze date was a month ago. Zone 8's was roughly 2 weeks ago.

>>2721174
I'm not so sure about too high of humidity. If that were the case, you might also see "dampening off", which is when the stem and root become feeble and falls over. Those brown spots could be disease? Trim the bad leaves off perhaps?
>>
>>2721174
I would keep the dome off after they sprout and switch to a heating mat or a sunroom afterwards.
>>
Stop saying my shit is spam
>>
>>2721203
Thanks for the help anon!
>The light is too far from them. The light needs to be closer.
I don't have a LED light above or anything, best I can do is move them right to the glass door to my balcony so they get more sunlight, which I will. That does mean it'll be a little colder though, but I suppose that's what the heatmat is for.
>Additionally, for clarification, I do not think you are in the equivalent of zone 8 if you still have a month until last possible freeze. I am in zone 9 and our last freeze date was a month ago. Zone 8's was roughly 2 weeks ago.
I've got no idea about USDA zones, that's just what one map online said. Wikipedia says somewhere between 7a and 8a is the equivalent of USDA zones for germany (excluding the northern lowlands). In germany a rule of thumb I was taught was that the ice saints, so may 11-13 is the date after which you can move everything outside if you want to be safe. A online map I found claims the average last frost is usually around Apr. 21 - Apr. 30.
>>2721215
Issue is all the main varieties have sprouted, but after the fatalii haven't sprouted I added the last 4 seeds I had (I started with 6 before) later. I guess I can transfer them though and add plastic wrap to those specifically.
In general the soil is pretty thin/low, would you transfer them to bags with more soil (or a balcony trough) so they have more space for their roots?
My plan sounds like I'll transfer them to a trough tomorrow, put the heat mat under, place them right at the window/glass door for maximum sunlight and remove the lid. The fatalii seeds stay under the plastic lid, though they won't have the heatmat anymore as that goes to the trough.
Again, thanks a lot for your help anon(s)!
>>
File: PXL_20240416_183338478.MP.jpg (2.36 MB, 3072x4080)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
I fucked up. Over watered? Over sunned? Bad food (12-4-8)?
>>
>>2721225
God damn suddenly my little chili leaf not looking so great doesn't seem like the worst anymore. Are those leaves papery if you touch them, or are they soft?
I don't feel qualified enough to give you advice myself, but that may give other anons a hint to give you better directions.

I doubt it's too much sun, tomatoes can handle a lot of sun. Fertilizer feels fine to me too, but it depends on how much you added.
>>
>>2721223
Seedlings prefer cooler temperatures, there is no reason to use heat mats at room temperature. Get grow lights or a bigger growing table with a taller dome so you can bring it outside during the day because whatever light they're getting right now probably isn't enough. Also, a fan prevents seedling wilting.
>>
File: sunchokes.jpg (661 KB, 2268x2853)
661 KB
661 KB JPG
In the process of refreshing my container's soil and getting everything ready for planting I got some unexpected early harvest:
Some sunchoke at a point that is very much not a good time to harvest it, so I had to cut some chunks off that were rotten or soft and some very young pak choi from last year that managed to resow itself.
It's not much, but it made for a good little meal.
>>
File: food.jpg (873 KB, 2268x4032)
873 KB
873 KB JPG
>>2721238
Here's what I cooked with it; Fried the sunchokes with lemon juice in a pan and added some garlic broccoli as well as the pak choi and some falafel.
The sunchokes tasted amazing, genuinely better than potatoes to me. Wish I had a garden where I could grow them in more serious numbers than in my little container.
>>
>TFW my local garden store is run by the Price Master
https://youtu.be/p9GBLVRPeaE
>>
>>2721239
I recall reading somewhere that cooking sunchokes with citric acid or acetic acid will cause the inulin to convert to fructose, making them sweeter and more digestable. Did you find this to be the case cooking them in lemon juice?
>>
>hail storm immediately after I plant the 7 replacement blueberries that the nigger deer ate last fall
WHY GOD WHY JUST LET ME HAVE BLUEBERRIES
>>
>>2721264
That's basically why I did it, a random YouTube comment said that's how their family did it and I remembered reading that comment years ago.
They got somewhat sweet and almost got a sort of glaze, but it's hard to tell if that's from the lemon juice changing insulin to fructose, or from me cooking down the lemon juice, which naturally has sugar in it. For what it's worth I didn't have strong stomach issues (slight gas for an hour or so though) afterwards. If it's medically sound or not, it tasted really fucking good, the acidity of the lemon juice together with the subtle sweetness made them a genuinely great dish.
>>
File: 1689340754866695.jpg (1.38 MB, 2250x4000)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>2721329
Anyone want a blueberry slushy?
>>
>>2721225
Did you harden them off before leaving them outside all day? It looks to me like they got sunburned.
>>
>>2721344
They've never been outside. I moved them out of their cells into the pressed peatmoss bullshit which they apparently hated so i moved them into cups and I can't really tell if they're getting better.
Worst case I'll just buy some starters. Who needs 10 tomato plants anyway.
>>
File: Tom1.jpg (3.92 MB, 3264x1768)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB JPG
>>2721225
>>2721352
Fucked is the scientific term. Could be a combination of things, the medium in the cups looks dry. It could be over feeding, with a quality potting soil you shouldn't need to feed that early. Did they freeze or have massive temp swings? My first guess is under watering and shock of some sort. It's always difficult to tell from a single pic.
>>
>>2721352
>>2721386
This. If they're not sunburnt then it's either under watering or nutrient burn.
>>
>>2721223
Yes, heatmat is critical for peppers, they need it hot. Would it be possible to order an LED light? They're rather cheap, at least here in the US. It doesn't need to be big, and it shouldn't be expensive. It's okay if not, it just helps so much to not be reliant on the weather giving you bright sunny days.

Additionally, rather than going by zones and such, what does the weather say? Does it look like it's warming? Have you experienced "cold snaps" where it suddenly goes below freezing for a night or two in this area in the past?
>>
>>2721225
1. They are already too stretched.
2. Is that instant release food? I fucked up all of my peppers this season because I used fertilizer that dissolved too quickly, I forgot to use osmocote like I always use. Yeah you burned em.
>>
>>2720190
I've tried every piece of shit software out there, a whiteboard or notepad is best
>>
File: IMG_0863.jpg (4.12 MB, 3024x3376)
4.12 MB
4.12 MB JPG
Planted a Joshua tree today here in Arizona. Learned with yuccas you want to wait 3 days before giving it a bit of water so it doesn’t go into shock. It’s a cute little thing.
>>
>>2721329
kek
>>
>>2721225
Most likely overwatering. You drowned the roots and the plant wasn’t able to breathe via roots.
>>
How do I turn bare soil into a garden patch?
I pulled the weeds out and dug the soil a bit
I want to grow peas and fava beans on it
Apparently they're fine to eat even if there is heavy lead contamination which I have no reason to suspect is true of my soil but I already have a raised garden bed for other vegetables
>>
>>2721496
I’m assuming you’re going to use the native soil as your media? If so, cheap electric cultivator, soil, fert, and necessary amendments.

First, make sure you don’t accidentally cut a rainbow root by being familiar of where you dig. You will till the first foot and a half of soil with the cultivator. Next mix the top soil and the till dirt, but before we do we need to know the soil dynamics. Be familiar with soil amendments like alum, gyplum, vermiculite, perlite, etc. Mix any amendment into the native soil, till. Then mix your topsoil and rake it over. You can mix half of the topsoil with the native soil and then just put the rest on top.

Tips: NEVER till mulch into your soil.
If youre going to use vermiculite get the extremely coarse kind.
A good way to know if your soil mixture is up to your standards is to irrigate the patch before adding the topsoil and watch how quickly the soil drains. You can use a moisture meter over the course of the day to check how prone to water logging or drought the patch is.
In general the topsoil you buy should be the ideal condition from the factory; compare the drainage and moisture trails to how the topsoil reacts to similar tests
>>
>>2721336
Just keep your blueberries in pots. Majority of soil in residential areas is too disturbed to keep any Vaccinium species there for longer than a few years before getting some horrible fungal infection. Also, if you have problems with deers, simply plant more blueberries bushes! or plant bushes that hide them.
I say this because the more bushes you have the less likely they are to eat the bush to the base instead eating a bit off each plant. You can even research blueberry species that grow larger and faster than commercial blueberries and will act as a protection from predators. There are so many beautiful native blueberries with varying foliage and texture.
>>
>>2720731
They might be but that would be illegal! And thus you can't do that. But if you were to try you usually only need a valid key to run it and the download is available to anyone.
There usually are free student versions available with the downside of having a watermark on your plan when you print it so that might be even easier.
>>
>>2721174
You dont need the dome after the seeds come up
>>
>>2721423
I can order a LED light I suppose, but I don't really have a place to hang it either etc. I'll do some digging today.
Weather is kinda fucked right now, we went from 26C one day to 8C two days later. April is kinda known for weird weather, but at 8C the chilis might not die, but they also won't grow outside anymore.
>>2721568
Good to know, I've taken it off yesterday. I figured the trapped heat would help, but I guess that's less important.
>>
File: 1703626536834530.jpg (2.02 MB, 2250x4000)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>2721571
You can do what I do, temporary light socket wired to an extension cord, optional power socket timer so you don't have to turn it off and on yourself.
All you need is something to loop wire through, I use small screw in hooks but you could also use curtain hanger or furniture to hang off if you don't want to screw anything in.

For bulbs you want something facing downwards, high brightness (1500+ lumen) with high color temperature (4000+ K), ideally with small beam angle so light isn't wasted on sides.
I use Milio HELI 39W NW, cheap, 3900 lumen with 3 adjustable segments but they sell those in Czech Republic so it might be hard to get those.

>at 8C the chilis might not die, but they also won't grow outside anymore
Mine survived late June freeze just covered in landscaping cloth with minimal damage, they are surprisingly resilient if you harden them off properly.
>>
>>2721516
>Just keep your blueberries in pots
But I want big bush not smol bush

>simply plant more blueberries bushes!
I mean I had 12, they ate 7 to the ground and half of the others. I don't know how many more I can have before it's just too many. I'm just going to have to build some sort of cage for them I think
>>
>>2718306
Is 7a any good?
>>
>>2721496
Lots of compost and biochar. Try reading Ruth Stout's no work garden book.
>>
>>2721624
I was in 7a and I loved it. Now I'm in 5b and it sucks.
>>
>>2721404
Never considered that the starting mix had food already. That definitely sounds like what happened
>>
>>2721631
Question for me now is, is there any saving them? Since moving into cups i haven't given them food but they still have the starter mix. Should i just move them again to regular soil? Or have they absorbed the nutrients already? It's been about a week
>>
>>2721638
I would get them out of containers and into the ground if you're trying to save them.
>>
>>2721332
Thanks for this anon. Sunchokes are massively productive in my area but I was disappointed to learn that their energy content is totally indigestible to people. I'm planning to try vinegar pickling, which will hopefully convert most of the inedible inulin into edible fructose
>>
>>2721638
Wash off the roots and mix crushed lump charcoal into your starter mix and then repot them. The charcoal will suck up the nutrients so your plants won't die. You'll probably want at least 25% by volume.
>>
>>2721664
Can't I just use regular potting soil? Like, not starter mix
>>
>>2721571
>April is kinda known for weird weather, but at 8C the chilis might not die, but they also won't grow outside anymore
Stop being such a retard. The temperature under a dome is easily 10C warmer than the outside temperature. Now they're getting ample light as well and you don't need to bother with grow lights.
>>
>>2721672
Sure. I meant to add it to the mix that you over fertilized. If you want to toss the soil and start over then you can.
>>
File: pest.webm (905 KB, 1280x720)
905 KB
905 KB WEBM
Need help with identifying this pest. It haunts my pear tree. It mostly sits along the main nerve of newly formed leaves.
That orange living thing is like 0.2mm long, that's why the pic related is of a quite shitty quality.
(I had to attaching my camera to a microscope… and the pear leaves are hairy, so it's hard to remove the pest from a leaf without squishing it.)
That creatures also seem to gets attention from ants, they do not look like aphids though.
Hexapod? With antennas? I guess this is an insect? Google lens did shit, suggesting all the bugs I could think of and some other... Pictures of common pear pest and pest damage do not look similar to this creature or the affected leaves.
>>
File: 2087260.webm (3.21 MB, 854x480)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB WEBM
What would you grow here?
>>
>>2721755
what direction is this facing & what zone/country/state?
>>
>>2721759
7a, facing East.
>>
>>2721755
Do you want something permanent or veggie garden?

It really depends how many hours of sunlight you get there.
Nice spot for grapevine trellis assuming at least half a day of sunlight.
With such a nice cover from cold figs could be viable even in 7A but I doubt you have enough sun to get a lot out of them.
>>
>>2721755
Creeping thyme, saffron crocus, and chives as an edible ground cover
>>
>>2721755
fresh oak/birch/boxelder/maple chips + a bunch of wine-cap or oyster mushroom spawn

let the mushrooms mulch it for a year then think about herbs or tuberous veggies

or ovoids if you're a cool guy
>>
>>2721832
Fungi are cancerous
>>
>>2721842
says they guy that takes dat dere celltech
>>
>>2721509
Thanks for all the info
I was going to just dig two bags of compost into the area and call it a day but I'm going to wet it now and see how it goes
I discovered that there's a soil testing initiative that my state has been doing and you can get it tested for free, I'm going to try that
>>2721628
Biochar isn't a product that's sold in my country sadly
Will look into the book
>>
>>2721873
>Biochar isn't a product that's sold in my country sadly
I bet you can find it as lump charcoal at the supermarket. You'll have to crush it and charge it yourself, but that's not too hard to do. To charge it just mix it into your compost pile or if you're buying compost then mix it in buckets, soak it with water, and leave it for a few days before you apply it to your garden area. You can also make it yourself if you have the space, material, and inclination.
>>
I bought me a few new citrus trees yesterday, I got xie shan, miho wase, and a kishu.
Hopefully they give me many fruits
>>
>>2721901
>lump charcoal
uh... are you sure that's the same? I'm pretty sure that's sawdust compressed and carbonified. although I guess if it's good enough to eat off of..
>>
File: 1564689492263.gif (1.49 MB, 300x300)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB GIF
>>2721676
>Stop being such a retard.
What's the point of being a spaz like this? Additionally, no, they're not getting ample light, if they were, they wouldn't be stretching. Even taking the dome off wouldn't give nearly as much light as even the most basic, cheap LED grow light.
>>
>>2721961
Biochar is charcoal. There is no difference.
Some people piss in it, some do other amendments. Be aware that biochar will absorb nutrients from your soil if you put it in raw.

The benefits of biochar are dubious at best - use sparingly. Mulch is more important
>>
File: 1_2048x2048.jpg (641 KB, 2048x2048)
641 KB
641 KB JPG
>>2721961
You either thinking of charcoal briquettes or charcoal pellets. You don't want to use those because the compression destroys poor spaces and make it less effective and the additives can be bad for your soil. You want lump charcoal which is just wood that's undergone pyrolysis. Pic related.
>>
I fought a bunch of slugs until I managed to completely seal my raised bed. Now I've found some baby slugs. How fucked am I?
>>
>>2722046
Diatomaceous earth and beer trap time
>>
>>2722047
>beer trap
I don't know, I heard this isn't as effective at killing them and just calls even more of them here.
>>
Starter cells are for idiots and unless you have an automated watering system you're just wasting your time if you use them.
Also, birds are seedling-murdering assholes.
>>
>>2722046
>>2722047
Diatomaceous earth is a non renewable resource so you should use it sparingly
>>
>>2721744
A spider mite? You can start by giving it a nice soap wash.
>>
>>2722045
>poor
pore* autocorrect got me
>>
>>2720537
It works really well.
>>
>>2722126
Thanks for this input. The size, color and season match, however the pics of the spider mites that I was able to google indicate the mite species that invade pears in my whereabouts are "hairy" and have a distinct head.
Meanwhile I double checked all the pest listed as troublemakers, and it's quite likely that I noticed newly hatched pear psyllid larvae, even before they turned dark brown and reached their 'armored' almost round shape.
>>
Is there a small affordable threshing/winnowing machine for homesteaders? Combine harvesters are fricking huge and expensive, and often hard to fix due to their complexity. Threshing and winnowing by hand is too much work.
>>
>>2722046
>>2722047
>>2722100
Introduce slug predators such as frogs or opossums.
>>
>>2722045
>>2721873
Does homemade charcoal count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRCnF9dovw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eOrn1SA3d0
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/QCayZWXQB2s
>>
File: 1694649080092008.jpg (219 KB, 2036x1351)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>2722348
Opossums are the best
>>
File: better.jpg (1.22 MB, 2268x4032)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>2721619
>>2721568
>>2721423
>>2721215
>>2721203
Thank you anons for your help, the chilis all started wilting when I transplanted them into deeper soil, but they look much healthier now even after just 2-3 days. A light for them is in the mail too, but until then they'll have to live near my window.
I had kept them under the dome far too long hoping that the fatalii seeds would sprout, but they never did. I left those in the dome but I doubt any of those will germinate, probably got a bad batch.
>>
>>2722351
Homemade charcoal will work perfectly
>>
>>2722427
Looks good, anon. May you be blessed with an overabundance of peppers.
>>
What's up with this new fad of putting charcoal into everything?
A few years back it was woodchips, now everyone talks about charcoal for some reason.
>>
>>2722461
Most likely some biochar vendor launched a stealth marketing campaign.
>>
>>2722346
I saw a low tech winnowing set up that worked well enough. The user manually feeds grain into an angled PVC chute that gravity feeds into a standard plastic bucket. An electric fan is positioned to hit the grain stream mid air as it passses from chute to bucket. For threshing I've heard of people using second hand cement mixers, might be worth looking into
>>2722461
The only people I ever see talking about biochar are the same people selling it
>>
Is there any real difference when using manure over compost? My homemade compost isn't ready and I'm on a budget, my local hardware store has cheap bags of cow and sheep manure which is my only option at this time.
>>
>>2722461
People have been putting charcoal in everything for a long time. It's cheap, the structure lends itself to a lot of uses, and it's a good store of carbon. The same qualities that make it good at filtering water make it good at retaining soil nutrients and improving water infiltration. There are diverse sizes of pores throughout the structure giving charcoal a massive surface area and providing suitable habitats for any microbe which is why it helps improve the biological attributes of your soil as well as improves the digestion of livestock and provides a suitable replacement for vermiculite in mycoculture. Besides all the uses for it charcoal provides a grassroots way of dealing with some of the issues we're facing like droughts and soil erosion and since it's 90% carbon and it doesn't decompose it also provides a low tech form of carbon sequestration.

>>2722464
>>2722471
Just make it yourself. There's millions of videos and tutorials online that can show you how.
>>
>>2722474
Manure is richer than compost and may burn your plants. If you're side dressing them then make sure that you're leaving a few inches of space between the manure and the stem of the plant.
>>
>>2722471
>>2722479
Got it. Thanks!
>>
>>2722471
>>2722506
Please don't use PVC, it's made from vinyl chloride, it's a know human carcinogen with negative environmental impact, both EU and US are currently considering banning it from use at this moment.
If you really have to use it absolutely don't grind or drill it without a mask, get rid of all shavings and vent thoroughly afterwards.
>>
>>2722508
True.
>US
They won't. EU has banned thousands of chemicals that the US hasn't, because the Jews in the US don't care about their goyim at all.
PVC will still be widely used long after the EU bans it.
Btw, I assume this doesn't apply to anime figures? After they're only for exhibition and have no contact with food and water unlike PVC pipes.
>>
Solar panels or wind turbines for the heating of a greenhouse?
>>
>>2722512
It's already banned for some uses in EU, total ban is in motion atm but it might not pass in the end just like they cucked out with glyphosate and extended it's use.

>I assume this doesn't apply to anime figures?
I'm not an expert but from what I understand PVC is quite stable normally so it should be fine as long as you don't don't grind, drill or use chemicals that degrade PVC to clean it.

>>2722514
Wind turbines are a meme, solar panels are quite good but if all you care about is heating a greenhouse solar thermal collectors might be better.
>>
>>2722518
I see. Thank you.
>>
>>2722508
>PVC
>BPA
>Parabens
They're in virtually everything. It's fucking over. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth avoiding certain materials because their particles and associated chemicals just end up in the food and water.
>>
>>2722508
>Please don't use PVC, it's made from vinyl chloride,
what else am I supposed to use for my blackberry trellis??
>>
>>2722545
Wood, metal, concrete
>>
>>2722529
What does it matter what you do, even if all of the west changes it won't matter at all. The majority of these chemicals and such come from India, China, and all of Africa. The West is responsible for very little comparatively, at least for the population, mega corporations are different.
One could very easily argue that all of this talk about it in the media and such is to demoralize you into willingly reducing your quality of life for the vague concept of environmentalism while simultaneously not addressing the actual problem at all.
Truly a slave mentality.
>>
>>2722529
The more, the worse. It's not a matter of avoiding them completely (which is impossible), but about *reducing* their quantities, which is possible, healthy, and maybe even cheaper.
>>2722551
>nooo don't go against the herd!!
>that's what slaves doo!!
Kek retard
>>
File: 1697602362528970.jpg (39 KB, 537x480)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2722556
>willingly lower your quality of life to make no appreciable difference to the situation as a whole
>calls others slaves for pointing out the absurdity of your position
I'm sure your stance against plastic will make up for the fact that one Chinese tier one city outputs as much plastic waste as all of western Europe.
>>
>>2722566
>not eating plastic, drinking plastic, wearing plastic, and living in plastic means lowering your quality of life
Kek
>>calls others slaves for pointing out the absurdity of your position
That's what you're doing, yeah. That's why I'm laughing.
>>
>>2722567
>he thinks what he does in the West will somehow improve the situation
Utterly mind broken and demoralized.
>>
>>2722529
This is true about oceans but we can control shit that gets into our soil, they won't just drop PVC from planes above our lands if we ban it.
>>
>>2722573
>the tragedy of the commons
Alright so explain to me how Americans or Europeans lowering their usage of plastic, reducing environmental impact, and other things does anything other than lowering their quality of life while simultaneously not addressing that 70% of the world's total pollution is from 5 multinational corporations or how most all of plastic waste in the environment comes from SEA, Africa, India, and China? All of these places do not care about muh tragedy of the commons.
So really, what is the point, ruin your life so thirdies can continue ruining the entire planet single handedly?
This is the true slave mentality, the mindset of a goy as it were.
>>
Tilled up 2 plots this week. Working on mixing some of my chicken manure in before planting. It's gonna be good bros.
>>
How do I fertilize my strawberry raised bed, I planted them last year and they are starting to grow again.
>>
>>2722577
Absolute retardation your post is. You can't into subversion, faggot.
>>
>>2722582
They should need much. I would mulch them with hay or straw and maybe give them some compost. I have a reference for fertilizer requirements that recommends 1 pound of 10-10-10 fertilizer per 100 square feet.
>>
>>2722577
I must not take the bait. Bait is the mind-killer. Bait is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face the bait. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the bait has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
>>
>>2722622
>listen here goy, we need you to stop using plastic and move into a 15min city to make up for the rest of the world not giving a shit about anything
Oh good, I'll definitely do that o'jewish master
>>
>>2722626
Based.
>>
Starting a worm farm, any tips?
>>
>>2722746
Don't overthink it, worms are surprisingly resilient. Aim for 70% browns to 30% greens, don't overfeed and let them do their thing. The main issues beginners have is leaving the worms alone do they can't do their job properly.
Other than that, just pay attention. If the bin stinks, something is wrong. If there's worms escaping, something is wrong. Other than that, chances are they are fine.
Longer term you can add some crushed eggshells if your bin gets too acidic and should aerate the bin occasionally by mixing things, but that's it for maintenance.
>>
So, I recently bought some live currant (ribes) plants on eBay and the white currant plant I bought doesn't seem to want to come out of dormancy. The plant seems to be alive: there's green under the surface and the stems are pliable instead of brittle, but even in mid April the plant is still refusing to come out of dormancy and start producing leaves.

Is there anyone with any experience with ribes plants that can give a bit of advice on them, or maybe there's some kind of trick to getting them out of dormancy?
>>
>>2722770
I would assume it was stored in a cold, dark place or it was shipped from much colder zone so it only started waking up recently and just wait for a while.
When you buy online they can often come with a lot of growth when your local plants have none or opposite, still dormant while your locals are growing.
>>
>>2722746
Use charcoal for your drainage instead of gravel and sand. It will be much lighter weight.
>>
File: 1686188049392906.jpg (104 KB, 1024x713)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>2722746
Give them a lot of bedding.
They will try to escape for a few days when you move them into different environment, like your worm bin or move the bin outside/inside.
You can convince them to not escape with a bright light.
They will also try to escape if bin is overpopulated, too wet, too dry or they just decide they don't like it.
You don't need drainage but you need to be careful with moisture in this case.
Add paper, dry bedding, cardboard if bin is too wet.
You'll have fungus gnats in your bin if you don't cover all holes and opening with breathing fabric.

>>2722786
Don't do this unless you want your hands to look like this.
>>
>>2722794
>Oh no! My hands are dirty! Whatever shall I do about that? If only someone had invented something to get hands clean!
>>
>>2722786
I think I'll just filter biochar as a term, I'm getting pretty bored reading you posts in pretty much any thread you can shill biochar in.
>>
I want to get a flow beehive, is this a good idea?
>>
File: bIMG_2627.jpg (386 KB, 1200x900)
386 KB
386 KB JPG
Sliding door has been a huge pain in the ass, but its finally good now. All the rollers were screwed and needed to be replaced. I needed to take the frame apart since the rollers connect to the aluminum corner connector pieces. The adjuster bolts are steel and were galvanically corroded to the aluminum pieces. I had to take a few of the corners apart several times because the bottom rollers kept popping out while installing the door. The adjuster screws were supposed to close and aluminum piece around the plastic roller piece. But instead of pressing the screws just dug into the aluminum, so I needed to add some shims.
>>
File: bIMG_2622.jpg (265 KB, 1068x928)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>2722907
The aluminum corner piece and one of the old broken wheel arms.

At some point I may flip around the bottom greenhouse frame piece so the low piece is beside the door. I should have done that first if I was thinking as there is a high step over to get in that door. But to fix it I have to remove the bottom door rail and the wood pieces it is mounted to.
>>
Fucking frost this night where I live, thank god I remembered to check the forecast.
Had to bring all my plants indoors while in my underwear because I was already ready to go to bed, but the weird looks from the neighbors are worth it for my plants surviving.
>>
>>2722835
Okay, snowflake. BTW It's not shilling if you can make it yourself for free. Where would be the profit in that?
>>
File: 20240421_185340.jpg (747 KB, 2880x2880)
747 KB
747 KB JPG
>>2720285
>>2720397
>>2721092
I guess we'll see what happens. Worst case this is practice for the dozen others in the backyard.
>>
I planted ten blueberry bushes a few years ago.

In that time, a few died. Shit happened. Likely root rot from heavy clay soil. They went dormant and never woke up the next year.

I replaced them last year with three from Lowes, because it was convenient and at least they looked decent in the store. I left the tag on them because they had a 1 year guarantee.

1 died in the same fashion (just died over winter, never came back from dormancy). 1 of the others is fine. The last looks kind of shitty but will probably make it.

I dug up the dead one and took it to lowes to try and get a replacement. I didn't have the receipt, but bought it on their store card and pulled up the statement on my phone. It has the item purchased, the date, and cost for Christ's sake. It still had the price tag on the plant. That has always been fine in the past.

Dumb bitch at CS gave me grief and refused the refund because she couldn't "find it" in their system. That really pissed me off. Lady, it's literally there on the fucking statement with my name and credit card that I am holding. Who the fuck actually keeps receipts for $30 plants.

Did they change their policy or something? That really ruined my evening over how bitchy that was. Yeah lady, I stole and killed this blueberry so I could bring it back for store credit. I'm sure that's what it is.

I did leave the dead bush on her desk though.

Sorry for the boring story but most plant vendors are really cool about dead plant guarantees, be they online or local, so that bugged me more than it should. Sometimes plants die, it's just natural, and i don't expect the highest quality from a big box store. I sure as shit wouldn't buy anything expensive from a company that wouldn't help me out.

On the plus side I planted 200 strawberry bare roots (half albion, half seascape) and spread about 10 cubic yards of mulch this weekend just in time for a perfect soaking rain, and now I'm sitting in the hot tub still sort of mad about a $12/hr wagie.
>>
>>2723021
>and now I'm sitting in the hot tub still sort of mad about a $12/hr wagie
Jesus anon it's not her fault the system is stupid. Why take it out on a person who doesn't deserve it? Maybe just calm down.
>>
>>2723044

Sorry, on reread that did sound dumb. It was more that she was rude as hell from the start and asked if I was going to be "difficult like the last guy" before I even spoke to her.

It really isn't anything, but sometimes when a day is otherwise good and productive little shit can get under your skin.
>>
growing some luffa, winged bean, and bushel gourd
a few luffa has sprouted, and the bean is starting to, but none of the gourd has
i got over 80 luffa seedlings, and they're growing fast, its been about 6 days
i got 25 beans, but they're getting a tiny bit moldy, washed them off though, and they're looking better
i put the best ones so far in some cups, i'll plant them later

does anyone here have experience growing luffa?
>>
>>2723049
>asked if I was going to be "difficult like the last guy" before I even spoke to her.
pain really does propagate this way, glad you recognized it, be the stopping point of the pain and don't pass it on, thank you
>>
>>2723059
No, but I've always wanted to. Maybe next year
>>
Hey guys, just found/remembered my old rabbits foot fern that was hiding under my big Cooperi, it’s not looking great, only 2 fronds left standing, it’s still in an appropriately sized pot with the shitty potting mix I got for it, any suggestions? Climate is Csb, New South Wales, live near water lands so rains a lot and high humidity
>>
>>2723207
try putting it in a more appropriate area for now?
>>
>>2723210
The area it’s in is great for a species of its type, sheltered under a large plant, so partial to heavy shade, lots of morning dew and rain on it and no pests, my main concern is the soil.. I think I’ll do some testing for the acidity and all that first
>>
Are they wilted?
>>
>>2723254
A few healthy ones. I think they're just going out of season in favor of the tulips.
>>
>>2723254
No you idiot, they're pollinated.
The flower always dies, the seeds get made in the head.
>>
>>2723254
>>2723255
how long were the flowers up?
>>
>>2723261
A few weeks.
>>
Of all places Home Depot had honeyberries, and for cheap, too. I got a Berry Blue, Aurora and Borealis, might go back for another Aurora and find a Tundra online
>>
>>2723289
yeah they were pollinated
once a flower is pollinated, they "die", as in wilt
thats because it's purpose is served, it doesn't need to exist anymore, as it's seeds are now in development
get ready to collect the seeds, the stems will also fall over given time
there should nothing to worry about
have fun anon, you allowed the plant to do its due
thats a good thing
>>
File: IMG_1867.jpg (229 KB, 640x480)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
Turned over some new little plot next to my fava beans. Gonna give milpa a try. I’ll let it rest for a week or two and then I’ll add some compost and plant the squash and corn that’s currently on my windowsill. I’ll add the beans then, probably best to give the corn a head start.
>>
>>2723059
I grew a luffa on top of my chicken cage one year, big mistake, they grew too high and I couldn't get to them, then they rained seeds down and the cage always has luffas coming up.

You can gather enough seeds from a single luffa to provide for years and years.
>>
>>2723254
>>2723255
>>2723289
If you want to gather the seeds, do nothing. If you want the plant to be strong and put more energy into its growth, cut off the growing seed pods. This is known as "dead heading" and can done to almost any plant. Most plants put their energy into seed production at the cost of their own health, so if you remove the growing seeds, they stop doing that.
>>
>>2723311
thats exactly what i'm hoping for
i want to grow them along my fence, its, say, around 150+ft long, so i'm thinking at least 1 plant'll do it for seeds, i just need a single plant
at best case, i got at least 80 luffa plants, so i imagine i might have up to 1000+ more luffas (?), let alone seeds than i need
how many luffa sponges did you harvest per plant?
i'm guessing i can get at least 4 luffas per plant, and maybe a few more after harvesting others
>>
Honestly kind of silly how powerful the grass family is compared to any other group of plants. All of my fruits and vegetables are mewling pathetic weaklings compared to the few grass species I'm growing
>>
>>2723309
Isn't no dig better unless your soil is very compacted? There's lots of grass in your plot so it's probably well-aerated as is.
>>
>>2723309
>milpa
Never heard of it before. Sounds good.
>>
>>2723351
It's quite compact, but yeah, it's not exactly some shitty boomer lawn death zone. However, I need to get rid of the grass, otherwise it'll just grow over whatever I plant, and for that, upturning seems like the classic way (or roundup…). Plus, I'll get some biomass into the soil already.
>>2723352
only enough, I heard about it on >>>/biz/pmg/ and it piqued my interest. On paper, it seems like a great combo, but I'll see how it works in a very different climate from Mexico.
>>
>>2723357
Nice
>>
File: thisbigtree.jpg (691 KB, 1635x918)
691 KB
691 KB JPG
This fuckhuge tree fell from a storm two weeks ago.
I'm a growlet but I want to get into veggie gardens.
Would I be able to chainsaw the limbs off and make raised garden beds out of these or does it have to be treated or something first?
>>
>>2723350
Monocots in general are kind of OP
>>
>>2723357
You can also cover your grass with cardboard to kill it. Cut through it or cover it with enough soil to plant in.
>>
>>2723382
No treatment needed, you can use hugelkultur technique by filling the bottom with logs
>>
>>2723386
wood needs to be completely dried first and makes using stakes/tomato cages hard
>>
>>2723391
>wood needs to be completely dried first
It doesn't.

>makes using stakes/tomato cages hard
Yes, that's the price for fertility, ideally you would want to woodchip everything and compost it but that's a lot more effort.
>>
File: 20240420_183741.jpg (1.19 MB, 2348x794)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
I think my lavender seedling is dying; drooping baby leaves and less vibrant stem. Pictures are two days apart. Anything I can do or should I read it its last rites?
>>
>>2723407
is it under a lamp? looks too bright/hot
>>
>>2723350
Grass is just a weed that we accept for it does not grow that tall. I'd say it's even a weakling, for it gets quickly conquered by a shitload of other groups of plants. My "lawn" has mostly no grass more, it's all yarrow, dandelion, cinquefoil, vetch, clover, sorrel, bindweed, plantain, chicory, hawkweed, knotweed, creeping charlie, ground elder, dog-violet, and, for some bizarre reason, forget-me-nots.
It's just that you plant those "useful" plants, and most of those laboriously cultivated fruits and vegetables are just spoiled wimps.
>>
>>2723410
Lawn grass is pretty strong in it's native habitat, outside of that it'll be easily outcompeted.
The real gigachad of lawn is white clover, grasscucks spend days of their life trying to get rid of it from their lawn, some even started to accept it in their lawn, it's simply too hard to get rid of.
>>
>>2723409
Under an LED lamp, yeah, at about 12 inches away. It's farther than most people have theirs at from what setups I've seen but I wanted broader coverage. I planted it on 3/5 so I think its growth has been stunted anyway, but I don't have much reference since all the time lapse videos on youtube are pretty shit.
>>
>>2723407
What the other anon said, it looks dried out, I assume it's so hot and bright there and it can't draw water fast enough from it's roots, I would move it into more shaded spot and hope it's not too late.
>>
>>2722046
Put copper around the boarder. You can find copper tape that is amazing and relatively cheap, I use it around the lips and table legs. Works a charm, they will never cross it.
>>
>>2722461
Fire is a keystone component of creation. Biochar is just a micro controlled version.
>>
File: cb.jpg (341 KB, 2000x1500)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
>>2723413
>white clover, grasscucks spend days of their life trying to get rid of it from their lawn

I never understand why they do it, I purposefully bought white clover seeds (although advertised as some little variety) and mixed them with grass seeds upon starting a new lawn.
White clover keeps its leaves way lower than the level any lawn mover cuts the lawn, and the grass grows freely through the clover foliage, so why bother?

My old lawn is riddled with red clover, and this one is indeed a grass-killer, for it grows densely and taller than grass, so it blocks the sun. But hey, common blues, honey bees and bumblebees love that clover, so let it be.
>>
>>2723348
>how many luffa sponges did you harvest per plant?
well it's not like a melon so I don't remove the extras so that the main ones get sweet, I just let it make as many as it can. If it gets the full zone 9 growing season I wouldn't be surprised if I got 10 luffas per plant, they're incredible prolific
>>
>>2723357
Honestly, just adding composted soil over that and not tilling will be enough. The worms mix the composted soil into the ground underneath, and the plants grow their roots far enough down to get to the nutrient-rich clay. Plus, the composted soil usually doesn't have much seeds, if you til it into the ground you'll mix all the seeds in the ground back up to the surface

>>2723382
>Would I be able to chainsaw the limbs off and make raised garden beds out of these
Yes. Do not treat them. Let them rot naturally, it will add to your bed. By the time they rot fully, in a few years, you can replace them.
>>
I've become obsessed with local native plants.

Sassafras.
>>
>>2723443
I've got a 60 footer in my yard, here's the fall color
>>
>>2723477
Gorgeous. Does it make a lot of babies? Do you make file spice?
>>
>>2723382
Try hugelkultur like anon said. If you have extra wood after you can turn it into charcoal and add it to your compost to use it as a soil conditioner.
>>
>>2722046
Get ducks
>>
>>2723443
I really want to grow an orchard filled with hard to find native fruit and nut trees such as Kentucky Coffee, Butternut, Pawpaw and so on
>>
>>2723549
Funny. As far as I know all of my native fruit trees suck ass so my goal is the opposite.
Grow a orchard with anything but native trees.
>>
File: file.png (944 KB, 1248x471)
944 KB
944 KB PNG
>>2718306
did I kill these plants? pumpkin, zucchini, pumpkin they were all dropping only a bit yesterday thought it was the lack of sun so I set them outside into the full sun but then it got surprisingly cold <10 and I forgot them. Should I add compost or something else?
>>
Got advanced black spot on about 10 Rose bushes, mid autumn here.

Picked the effected leaves off by hand, wondering if it's too early to hard prune
>>
>>2723570
They're stressed, just keep them in a warm sunny place like you were meant to In the first place
>>2723398
Plant looks dry; but soil looks wet?
Have you put a lamp two inches above it or something? Read the lamp instructions
>>
>>2723382
I life by the woods and do this all the time. My advice would be split the logs with wedges so you've got one kind of flat side, then just stake our screw them together. They won't last long in the ground without rotting but don't necessarily need to.
>>
>>2723309
Weeds are going to come up in that really quickly, you're meant to flip the soil in cubes to bury the weed seeds.
You might want to put cardboard over it until you're ready to plant, or mulch it over with straw
>>
>>2723570
No, they are clearly leggy, you need to give them more light, don't risk burning them with compost.
>>
>>2723510
There were hundreds of sucker's all through my yard when I moved in, same with maples and cherry trees, combined with green briars made my property impassable. On an unrelated note adding all this charcoal to my soil, that I had left over from brush burning.
>>
>>2723577
>cubes
Well, that was the plan, but with two kids “helping” I changed my plan to
>don’t stab the kids
But as soon as I see my seedlings I’m gonna weed a bit and put some mulch on it and see what happens.
>>
>>2723426
Post-World War 2 led to herbicide mass production since the militaries needed it to clear forests from vegetation. They started adding clover due to its low maintenance requirements. If you have less clover and more grass you'll need fertilizer and other things they sell to you.

It's conspiracy tier but there isn't information about the situation anywhere.
>>
>>2723615
I am experiencing a high amount of envy. Do you do anything with the maple and cherry? Also beautiful charcoal/ash.

>>2723549
Water is key, everything else is quite flexible.
>>
The tomato plants I nutrient burned: Update

I rinsed all of their roots and put them in regular potting soil from the store. They were getting marginally better, but still withering. Last night I clipped some of the rotted/wilted leaves and this morning they look like brand new plants. Bright green leaves exploding out from the stalks.
I always forget how dumb plants are with decaying body parts and how you can just force them to abandon it altogether to grow
subscribe to my blog
>>
>>2723570
Not enough drainage, add something to the soil. Otherwise they'll get dampening off real soon. Also leggy like anon said.

>>2723550
It's not always for you, it's to encourage a healthy ecosystem on your property so you don't have to work as hard to keep your other plants thriving.
>>
>>2723618
Use topsoil to "top dress" the garden. It will keep some of the weed seeds down.

>>2723686
>I always forget how dumb plants are with decaying body parts and how you can just force them to abandon it altogether to grow
Yeah why can't they be smart like an animal that gets a little cut and dies from an infection?
>>
>>2723685
It was all just dense scrub, I chopped it all up and burned it, that's how I ended up with so much charcoal, just the end result of chucking material on the fire faster than it could burn.
>>
>>2723690
>Yeah why can't they be smart like an animal that gets a little cut and dies from an infection?
not me, im too smart for that
>>
>>2723583
>>2723689
what do you mean by leggy? They used to be upright should I add more soil on top?
>>
>>2723570
These plants are climbers/creepers. Isn't it natural for them to be drooping and spreading?
>>
Deadheading promptly
>>
File: 20240423_165914.jpg (2.72 MB, 3024x3024)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
>>2718306
Anyone got any ideas what's causing this leaf deformation on my chillis and peppers?
It seems to affect the faster growing plants.

Conditions: glass coldframe in zone 8 UK, lows of 2C highs of 21C in recent weeks.
Watering has been rare, basically none of them have wilted and I know peppers like it on the dry side.
Ive been neglecting opening the coldframe vents - could high humidity cause this? Some googling suggests it's a calcium or PH issue, but I am unsure.
>>
>>2723692
I'd say that counts as doing something it with.

>>2723701
Go cut off a finger and plant it, see if it grows a clone of you.

>>2723706
Leggy means that the plant is too tall and spindly. It has "stretched" upwards, its stem should be far shorter than that at this age. This happens because the light source is too high up, the plant is reaching for the light.
>>
>>2723706
>what do you mean by leggy?
They are stretching becoming long and thing to reach sunlight.
This is undesirable because it makes them weak and prone to flopping around.
You need to give them more light or start new seeds if you don't want to deal with leggy seedlings.

>They used to be upright
Exactly, they became spindly because of low light and now they'll struggle to stay upright.

>should I add more soil on top?
You could but you risk damping off
>>
File: 1689152467502342.jpg (2.86 MB, 2250x4000)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
Frost got my "Gerardi Dwarf" mulberry, is it over?
>>
File: dead_jim_0.jpg (410 KB, 1290x974)
410 KB
410 KB JPG
>>2723254
>>
Any pleasant surprises this year?
For me it's loquat I ordered.
It was this little weakling, looked iffy to say the least, I was worried to put it to the ground, then random frost came...
Yet after only a week I can see its doing well, trunk is much stronger than before amd leaves are also starting to strengthen.
>>
>>2723410
I wasn't very clear in my original comment. I wasn't talking about lawn grass but domesticated giant tropical grasses like corn, sorghum, sugar cane, etc. Selective breeding has made these species into some crazy mfers compared to other plants that have been "graced" by our "improvement"
>>
>>2723781
For fruiting this year? Yeah. Just let it grow, keep it watered.
>>
>>2723615
I've got a bunch of wood to burn this year too. Can't wait to have a huge pile of charcoal like that.
>>
Only 18C today and my greenhouse got up to 37C. I had to open more ventilation.
>>
>>2723809
>domesticated giant tropical grasses
Like bamboo, right?

You seem to have never grown blackberries, raspberries, hops, hybrid grapes, hardy kiwi, mulberries etc.
Once these establish, the vast majority of the time spend on cultivating them is actually attempting to keep those from flooding all over the neighbourhood.

Maybe I'm in the wrong climate, but though corn is super popular here, it's one of the more demanding crops to grow - if you've not sawn it in the right week, yield drops significantly because of suboptimal weather, if you don't spray it with chemicals, weeds such as amaranth strangle it and fungi will fuck up whatever remains. So no, corn definitely is not a crazy mfer here.
>>
Got most of the charcoal spread out, got a good chunk of the yard covered with a thin layer, need to get compost next.
>>2723815
There's better ways to make charcoal, but that pile was from about 40 big trees I cut down, though I kept the logs and burned the brush.
>>
>>2723893
>40 big trees
How did you keep it from turning completely to ash? Every bonfire I do leaves nothing what you've shown behind, just ash.
>>
>>2723904
I added brush as fast as I could which keeps it from burning completely because the top brush stifles the previous material, though my main goal is to get rid of the brush as fast as possible. My town only allows open burning for certain times of the day, so at the end I put the fire out with water, which keeps the charcoal at the bottom from completely burning.
>>
>>2723893
>There's better ways to make charcoal
I know. I'm going to use a barrel and make it in batches. I don't have anywhere near 40 trees worth of wood though.
>>
>>2718306
How do I attract frogs and salamanders to my garden?
I'm not gonna buy jew pesticides and I miss hearing ribbits helping me sleep
>>
>>2723992
1. Get off /pol/, it's making you obsessed with jews.
2. Add some WATER to your garden. Animals need water.
>>
>>2723992
>>2724055
Especially amphibians like salamanders and frogs.
>>
>>2723992
I have lots of salamanders in shady spots under logs that are sitting in leaves, the salamanders like to stay moist so if the spot ever drys out they won't like it. Also got these ring neck snakes that hang out by my compost pile, though they're nocturnal so they're hard to find.
>>
>>2724080
omg he cute
>>
>>2723992
If you build it(pond) (((they)))(frogs) will come
>>
I'm trying to figure out how to best stage a hummingbird garden, but I need to contend with feral cats. So I'm looking for tall specimens, yet all the stores sell short varieties of everything. And then I need to figure out how to make the plants work together so they don't overshadow everything.
>>
>>2723893
>>2723940
What dog breed is that? Looks like a wolf.
>>
>>2724055
>he thinks jews don't control the world
>he thinks jews care if his food is covered in poison (pesticides)
>>
>>2724080
Cute
>>
>>2723730
>Go cut off a finger and plant it, see if it grows a clone of you.

And create competition? No thanks
>>
File: 1702738148146191.png (13 KB, 1036x803)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
I'm building my first composting bin, need some advice.
I have really shaded good place under two conifer trees at the North end of my property behind my shed.
There is 170 cm between trunks so I'm planning on splitting it into two bays, 85 cm wide each.

Now the question I have is how long does it make sense to make it?
I could make it a bit over 2 meters long at most but is it practical to make it so long?

Quick paint sketch from above, circles are trees, solid black is fence.
>>
>>2724153
If I were you I'd just do one bay 1m on each side. You might not have enough insulation for good composting with smaller dimensions. You could also try vermicomposting or sheet composting in your garden.

If you wanted to do vermicomposting in that space then I'd set it up so you can run a windrow in a circle infinitely. It could be as simple as a wall running down the middle of the space. You'd start the pile in the middle of one side of the wall and make your additions next to it (always on tbe same side) and work your way around the wall until your get back around to the side of the wall you started on. After that you remove the finished vermicompost from the beginning of the windrow before you make additions to the end of the windrow to keep some distance between them. If you see worms in your finished vermicompost then it needs to sit for longer which means either a wider windrow or a longer wall. You could also skip the wall and run it around in a big rectangle, but the wall is more space efficient.
>>
>>2722209
How many feet do you get on there? What diameter hose?
>>2724153
Don't put it too close to the root flare or the tree will get sick, also those bins are very long and narrow, it will be a hassle to flip them vs a square bin, long is better for open piles as it aids flipping rows from the side.
>>2724136
She's a working bloodline German shepherd, and a very good one.
>>
Is cyanide toxicity an actual concern when it comes to eating white clover? I was growing a bunch to make tea when I learned about cyanogenesis.
>>
>>2724224
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00288233.1995.9513132%23
>HCN contents ranged from 120 to 1110ngHCN/g dry matter (DM). Cultivars that are agronomically successful in New Zealand, and cultivars of New Zealand origin, were mainly highly cyanogenic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide_poisoning
Blood levels of cyanide can be measured but take time.[2] Levels of 0.5–1 mg/L are mild, 1–2 mg/L are moderate, 2–3 mg/L are severe, and greater than 3 mg/L generally result in death.[2]

Assuming 5 liters of blood you would need to eat 2.5 mg or 2,500,000 ng of cyanide for mild poisoning which would require you to eat a minimum of 2.252 Kg of clover. I don't think you need to worry about it.
>>
What do you guys use for accurate weather forecasts? I swear, google and weather channel change weekly forecasts daily and it's annoying the shit out of me.
>>
>>2724167
I want to squeeze more in here because I don't have that much space in my garden, this is pretty much the only place too shaded to grow anything.
I considered cutting down trees to make space but they provide bird habitat and shade me from the street so that's a no.

>vermicomposting
I do plan on putting worms in but dedicated vermicomposting bin sounds complicated to operate, plus I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to put grass clippings there as it would heat up too much.

>>2724216
>Don't put it too close to the root flare or the tree will get sick
I really don't have any other place tho and if I need to remove trees I'll have more space to put bigger or more bins in anyways so that's risk worth taking for me.

>those bins are very long and narrow, it will be a hassle to flip them vs a square bin
Yeah, I know, I'm thinking about doing 120 cm length atm instead of full 200 cm I could squeeze there, it seems more manageable.
>>
I have another question regarding compost bins, is it worthwhile to add cover on the top?
I see a lot of design with a cover but I don't really see the point of having one.
>>
>>2724316
I try to cover mine with the same reasoning for covering ground beds. Helps prevent the things you don't want growing within the bed/compost bin from taking root and growing. Just make sure to keep the compo' moist.
>>
>>2724307
If you don't care about the trees then that's fine, my pile is sitting on a bunch of trees and the oaks hate it, are all getting sick, the red maples don't seem to care as much, but idgaf I've got enough trees I'll cut them down if they die. You just don't want to be one of those people that covers up the root flare and the is surprised when the trees get sick.
>>
>>2724260
They're all shit. I use them for a general idea but have learned to mistrust them. Look outside and form your own opinion.
>>
>>2724307
>I do plan on putting worms in but dedicated vermicomposting bin sounds complicated to operate,
Nah, it just needs more carbon then a regular compost pile and you don't have to turn it. That's part of the reason I recommended using a windrow that goes in a circle. You might want to check out some books on it like Mary Appelhoff's "Worms Eat My Garbage"

>plus I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to put grass clippings there as it would heat up too much.
You can as long as you mix in enough shredded paper, leaves, straw, cardboard, ect.

If you're really set on a compost pile in that space then I would recommend constructing a flexible cylindrical former 1m across and 1m high with a pin holding the ends together so you can pull the pin and unwrap the former from the pile. You can then set it up next to the pile and turn the pile into the former. That way you have a properly sized pile and your space issue is more or less solved.

>>2724316
Not really. Covering the pile with finished compost can help mask odors which is more useful for static piles and if you're at the proper C:N ratio then you shouldn't have any odor. Covering it with straw can help retain moisture and heat, or cause water to run off instead of infiltrating which shouldn't be an issue if your pile is the right size and has enough bulking material. I never cover my compost. You should use the Berkeley method and get a proper compost thermometer to ensure that the pile gets hot enough to kill anything living in it.

I'd also recommend adding a bunch of lump charcoal to your compost pile. When left whole it makes a better bulking agent than wood chips and when crushed it improves the quality of your compost and helps to condition your soil. Look into biochar for more information.
>>
I have yet another question, should I place chicken wire on the bottom to prevent pests from getting in?
A lot of people seems to be doing that and I do have some voles in my yard.

>>2724317
That's a good point but that place is already so shaded I doubt anything but English Ivy could grow there but I'll keep that that in mind if I need more shading.

>>2724325
Will that really make them sick if it's just on one side tho?
It's not like they could develop girdling roots although I guess run off from compost will affect them, not sure if it's a bad thing tho.

>>2724353
>needs more carbon then a regular compost pile
Yeah, that's the problem I already have too many greens to browns, especially in Summer when composting is the fastest.
I would need to get shredded paper or wood to wood chip from somewhere else, I just don't have enough supply of browns.

>constructing a flexible cylindrical former 1m across and 1m high with a pin holding the ends together
I don't understand what you mean by that, are you talking about something like those cylindrical Johnson Su bioreactors made from chicken wire?

>Mary Appelhoff's "Worms Eat My Garbage"
Found it on libgen, I'll give it a read, thanks.
Link for anyone else interested: https://www.libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=979F2EAD66BF66E4F874B36CBEFAAE91

>Covering it with straw can help retain moisture and heat
I guess that would work pretty much the same as covering it with a permeable roof for all practical purposes, I could do that.

>adding a bunch of lump charcoal to your compost pile
I'll throw everything left from burning for sure but how much can I add?
I read somewhere that adding too much ash can be bad and there will be a lot of ash mixed in as I don't burn specifically for charcoal.
>>
>>2724365
>should I place chicken wire on the bottom to prevent pests from getting in?
I wouldn't worry about it unless they become destructive.

>I just don't have enough supply of browns.
Fair enough. Straw is cheap, but it's not really worth buying carbon to add to your pile.

>are you talking about something like those cylindrical Johnson Su bioreactors made from chicken wire?
No, I had never heard of that before. It looks like a miniaturized static pile. Two of those would probably be plenty of composting capacity for you. Fill one while you run the other. What I was talking about was making basically a corset for your compost pile. I made one out of chicken wire (for the fabric of the corset), garden posts (the ribs of the corset), and baling wire or galvanized steel wire (thread and reinforcement of the corset). Mine has a piece of wire that goes through some loops to lock it closed. When you pull that wire through the loops you can unwrap it from the pile and set it up elsewhere to be filled. If you're turning your compost every 2-3 days then you can even keep grass alive underneath it.

>I guess that would work pretty much the same as covering it with a permeable roof for all practical purposes
Yeah, but it's not really necessary. Especially since you're putting it in such a shady spot.

>I'll throw everything left from burning for sure but how much can I add?
Up to 20% of the volume can be charcoal. Definitely use less then that since you have so much ash. I'd say a bucket or less for each batch.

(Comment too long)
>>
>>2724365
>>2724380
>I read somewhere that adding too much ash can be bad and there will be a lot of ash mixed in as I don't burn specifically for charcoal.
Yeah, but composting is the best way to incorporate ash into your soil unless you have issues with soil acidity. If your soil is acidic then direct application will increase the pH of your soil and can allow you to grow plants in that soil, but for the same reason it can make your soil too basic if you apply it when there isn't a problem. If you put it in your compost then it will help to buffer the pH of the compost and the final product won't increase your soil pH.
>>
File: adenium obesum.jpg (235 KB, 2048x1536)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
I sometimes spend hours reading about rare plants or ordering weird seeds online. I am interested in growing exotic/unusual/poisonous plants. My Desert Rose (Adenium Obesum) seeds had a germination rate of 100%, pretty cool. These desert plants have a poisonous sap that, if consumed, stop your heart. African tribes use them to poison their arrows.
>>
>>2724384
That's really cool. I love shit like that.
>>
ChatGPT is really fun to mess around with. It's good for info diving.
>>
>>2724442
For instance, I've been using it to get info on plants, and then I poke into particular areas and it'll break down everything regarding those areas. And if you know how to ask questions, you can get some pretty good results.
>>
Thanks for help anons, I have pretty clear picture of compost bin I want to build now.

>>2724380
>>2724381
I think I understand this design now, it seems pretty good but I want a static pile and I have a lot of old wooden flooring panels laying around I want to get rid of and this is pretty much the perfect opportunity.

>I wouldn't worry about it unless they become destructive.
I just talked with my neighbor about his compost pile, he just throws his waste onto soil and he does have infestation of voles and mice he can't get rid of, I'll add chicken wire as precaution.

>it can make your soil too basic if you apply it
My soil is more on acidic side so I think it won't hurt to add some ash.

>>2724442
>>2724443
You have to be careful with it and double check everything it says, it can make shit up sometimes.
>>
>>2724442
ChatGPT lies.
>>
still growing luffa & winged bean, the luffa is getting lanky, but i'm waiting for the winter storms to fuck off, finally
the storms are brings 40f temps, and i just don't want that for them, they got the whole half the year to grow, because luffa reasons (from what i've heard), so it should be fine
the winged bean is okay, i got about 14 outta 25 that survived, so i'll the plant half in pots on my patio, and half on my fence in the ground, one set'll get full sun, and the other ll' get essentially half sun
i decided to trash the bushel gourds in turn for cushaw squashes they just weren't turning out, , and i'm buying new seed, so that'll help
the seed i'm currently using is next to 10 years old, so seeing how successful it isn't, isn't surprising as a whole
with the new cushaws i'm ordering, they should do good, if they don't, i'll just spend the season doing black radish, sugarbeets, plus yellow onions on the rows, thats about it

if anyone has any actual tips from experience on the plants i've mentioned, please reply, it means a lot
i'm new to this personally, thank you
>>
Greenhouse wireless thermometer was reading 40C but it definitely wasn't that warm in there. I folded a piece of paper into a cylinder and taped it over the transmitter to keep the Sun from hitting it directly and the temp dropped to 30C. I need to get a second thermometer so I can know the outside temp as well.
>>
>>2724464
Good luck, anon. I hope you enjoy composting.
>>
File: 1684533424418258.jpg (1.48 MB, 4000x2250)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
Let's see the nigger deer try to eat this fuckin' thing
>>
>>2724541
>>
>>2724365
>Will that really make them sick if it's just on one side tho?
Try not to over think it, if you really like the tree, treat it the best you can, otherwise embrace the idgaf mentality.
>>
>>2724514
Growing luffa for the first time and something has eaten all the leaves off twice now. Whatever it was got one of the tomatoes too.
>>
>>2724620
your mom got all the leaves and one of the tomatoes
>>
>>2723292
During the fall my local one sells Black Futsu pumpkins out front for an stupidly high price
>>
When using organic fertilizer (biohumus) how do I know how much to use if there is no NPK rating?
>>
>>2724674
Because of the form it's in you shouldn't be able to put too much down. The nutrients will be made available to your plants as the humus breaks down. I don't know exactly what product you're using, but this link says their biohumus is around 2-1-0.5

https://orwaco.am/en/product/biohumus/
Total nitrogen (N):
2.1-2.5g/100g
Total phosphorus (P):
0.85-2.0g/100g
Potassium (K):
0.51-1.72g/100g
>>
File: 1698414508968556.jpg (662 KB, 1648x1206)
662 KB
662 KB JPG
What do yellow veins on currant leaves like this indicate?
I found no pests on it, is it nutrient deficiency or some sort of illness?

>>2724704
That's really low, no wonder they don't put it on the bottle.
Is it a scam or is it supposed to be this low somehow?
>>
>>2724709
Looks like nitrogen or manganese deficiency to me.

>Is it a scam or is it supposed to be this low somehow?
It's supposed to be that low. Compost has a similar NPK ratio. The microbes and organic matter will improve water infiltration, moisture holding capacity, buffer the pH, and break down mineral nutrients into a usable form. As it breaks down nutrients will be released to your plants. It's estimated that 10% of the nutrients are available in the first year, so many people say you can't use it as a fertilizer, but if you continue to put it down each year at the same rate then eventually it will break down as quickly as you add it and 100% of the nutrients in the compost you apply will be available from the plants that year. 10% from that application and 90% from the applications of the previous years. If you want a proper fertilizer from compost or a similar humic product then you should make compost tea by soaking it in water for about a week, filtering it, and then spraying it over your plants.
>>
>>2723006
My only feedback would be on pot type and media. Bonsai involves root pruning and amazement as well. Typically you would use a well draining media so you can water more often and not worry about root rot. Usually would want to have a shallower pot as well.

At this age, in lieu of a pot, you could use a basket/milk crate lined with burlap. This allows the roots to grow out and air prune naturally.

There's a crazy looking Canadian guy on YouTube that does good informative bonsai videos.
>>
>>2724514
>the luffa is getting lanky
those little shits dont care, they're so goddamn tough
>>
>>2724713
>nitrogen or manganese deficiency
I have a fertilizer with manganese, thanks.

>make compost tea by soaking it in water for about a week, filtering it, and then spraying it over your plants.
You mean on the leaves, not into soil?
I'm kind of concerned it could burn them or something.
>>
>>2724709
I'd say iron deficiency. Use osmocote or some other slow-release and you won't have this problem.
>>
>>2724728
look up "foliar feeding"
>>
>>2724728
It would burn them if you used a strong fertilizer, but compost tea is pretty diluted. The benefit is that you can apply the fertilizer immediately instead of over applying compost or waiting years for the nutrients to build up from previous compost applications. It makes spot treating plants easier too. The added bonus is that you can still apply the compost to your soil after you've made tea from it. It will have fewer nutrients, but it will still improve your soil and it will still break down over time. You can also mix charcoal into the compost before you make a tea from it. The tea will be weaker, but the charcoal will hold those nutrients and they'll be more available to the plants when you apply the used compost to your soil. If you use all of your compost to make a tea, apply the used compost to your soil, and space out the treatments then it will be a more effective fertilizer. I would recommend applying the biohumus that you bought directly to ensure that the aerobic microbes don't drown and make or buy more compost to make tea from.
>>
File: 1708720193658362.png (1.81 MB, 1024x1024)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB PNG
Anyone have advice on the cheapest possible material for raised beds?
I know if I use plywood they'll only last a few years but I'm considering going that route just because the season's getting late and I need to start getting shit in the ground. Or maybe vinyl siding panels?
Space is a concern (greenhouse) so I can't use tires.
>>
>>2724753
Garden posts/pegs and cheap plastic fencing like pic related. Fold it over a few times to reduce the height and block the holes more. Buy some straw to line the edges and you'll lose less soil.
>>
>>2724762
mmmmm plastic
>>
>>2724781
There's more microplastic in your soil from your drier vent then that plastic fencing will ever add. If you want a properly built raised bed then don't wait until the last second to start building it.
>>
>>2724787
Is it vinyl?
>>
>>2724792
Depends on which one you buy. The one I looked up is made from polyethylene and polypropylene. I really wouldn't worry about it contaminating your soil in the year it takes you to build a raised bed from better materials.
>>
>>2724729
I'll water it with general purpose fertilizer with microelements tomorrow.

>>2724730
I didn't know it's a thing, though it's only for application of insecticides, huh

>>2724739
I don't have any compost (yet) my first batch ever is still maturing.

>I would recommend applying the biohumus that you bought directly
Not sure what you mean, should I pour it without diluting with water or do you mean directly as in to leaves?

>>2724753
You can repurpose trash for free if you have any, I used old flooring panels to make two of my beds and some old mismatched wood planks to make another.
Also I have seen someone nearby use 1000 liter industrial liquid container to make a really tall bed.
>>
File: bIMG_2630.jpg (446 KB, 1200x900)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
>>2722907
I quickly got annoyed with the bottom frame the way it was and flipped it this morning. Easier to do now before my wire rack arrives next week. A lot of screws to remove, 2 new rivnuts, then put it back together. Aligning the door was considerably faster this time.
>>
>>2724822
Foliar feeding works with fertilizers too.

>Not sure what you mean, should I pour it without diluting with water or do you mean directly as in to leaves?
I just mean follow the directions on the bag and don't make compost tea out of it. Use your compost for that once it's finished.
>>
Tulips are coming in really nicely now.
>>
>>2724910
And my new kishu came in, I need to repot it and see how big I can get it.
>>
Got a little chunk of the yard covered with compost.
>>
File: 1698232124176409.jpg (645 KB, 2250x4000)
645 KB
645 KB JPG
My thornless Columbia Giant blackberry sent out a thorny cane, I want a refund
>>
>>2724915
Looking good
>>
>>2720615
A sheet of plastic or mesh over the entire property. Aircraft or drones could still see even if you somehow convinced every satellite company and government in the world to not show anyone.
>>
>>2724541
double kek
>>
>>2724921
Rip it out with chunk of the roots that reverted to thorny state.
After any part of a periclinal chimera like blackberry turns thorny it will never be thornless again, don't let it grow.
>>
>>2724722
thanks for the advice. I potted that plant before watching a significant amount of videos on the subject so I feel like I have a much better understanding than I did at the time. However the current pot has the benefit of allowing for faster growth in the short term which I think is good considering how small the plant is right now. It also doesn't have enough fine roots at this point to survive a shallow pot with bonsai soil. In a year or two I'll consider repotting it in something more appropriate.
>>
>>2725072
I ripped it out but it was coming from the clump so there weren't many roots, it sort of just snapped off. The other 6 new canes are coming out normally
>>
>>2724753
Just go find some old pallets behind a strip mall or something. Lumber and fence yards usually have tons and want people to take them.
>>
Damn this year flash frosts were brutal.
I don't think I've ever seen more trees around roads where the whole tree has severe frost damage.
Walnuts completely black. Brutal.
>>
>>2718306
Where do I buy seed potatoes I want organic I don't wanna be poisoned
>>
>>2725201
You can just buy healthy looking potatoes from a store, cut them up (or not) and put into a growing medium, they'll spurt in no time.
Unless you want a specific cultivar there is no need to order special premium seed potatoes.

I have a potato plant growing and it sprouted from a small peeling in my vermicopost bin and it wasn't the only peeling that sprouted but I don't have enough space for them all.
>>
>>2725209
Nta but I planted a pound of Russian fingerlings two weeks ago and I hope they grow as vigorously as you describe. Starting to doubt if they're gonna grow or not cause I didn't chit them. There were some sprouts, I say some, like one per potato and I cut most of them in half to pinch pennies.
>>
How do I attract frogs to my garden?
>>
>>2725348
>>2723992
>>
>>2725201
The IFA where I live had a bunch earlier this year. You can buy them online too, but I'd go with anon's suggestion. Get a mixed bag of organic fingerling potatoes and plant the ones you like the most.
>>
>>2725348
Water. Running water. Tiny pools of water. Water.
>>
File: wannabe_frogs.jpg (644 KB, 1600x1200)
644 KB
644 KB JPG
>>2725348
Can't you just collect eggs/tadpoles from somewhere else and breed them into a fine army of frogs?
Just ensure your hirelings lots of fancy food & a cosy shelter if you decide to bring them in.
>>
Technical seedling hardening question for you more experiences blokes. How early in a seedling's life does it adapt to the Sun's rays?

I've been trying to put my seedlings outside in the sun as much as possible during their germination period, which has been going great; seems like everything was born adapted to it.
But I have a lavender seedling that just sprouted inside under a grow light since it's been raining the past couple days, but it has been technically out in the Sun besides that. So I wondering if it starts hardening after sprouting, during the seed stage, or however that works and, assuming there's sun tomorrow, if it'd be safe to put the seedling that just sprouted an hour ago into the sun without it getting burned.
>>
Do putted figs need cold period?
I'm not sure i will have access to some frost free storage but I could always get some led lamps and continue growing within the apartment.
>>
At 35°N is it possible to grow bulbing onions for a fall crop? Is there a type that vegetates during the 14-13 hour summer days and starts bulbing in the late summer or fall when its 11-12 hours? or is it only possible in the spring to summer transition?
>>
>>2725515
Figs will survive mild frost just fine, they only start taking damage when it goes below about -9 C assuming they have the time to enter dormant phase.
>>
>>2725507
Each leaf is adapted to the conditions it was grown in. Leaves that grow outside are already hardened. Hardening off is just exposing them gradually to their new conditions. You can do it at any stage of a plants life.
>>
i have no idea why OP doesnt link to the new thread

>>2725600
>>2725600
>>2725600
>>
someone has a advice on how to get rid of black berry bushes? I cut it down in the winter and cleaned it up by pulling it out from the roots can I be sure it won't come back this season and dump some cardboard+compost on it? Also is it a bad idea to plant some Lupines to loose the soil over the black berry bushes?
>>
>>2724620
The first two leaves? I had this issue, it was a mouse
>>
>>2725674
All of that should be fine. Cardboard will block light to any shoots that managed to survive.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.