[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: downloadfile-7.jpg (43 KB, 400x581)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Is diving, snorkeling, SCUBA etc worth getting into if I don't like near the ocean?

Also discuss gear and experiences.
>>
i used to do a lot of snorkling 2 decades ago, never got my full SCUBA license, but also, im not in a nice tropical location where the water is nice and warm, the opposite
definitely have it on my radar to get into spear/harpoon fishing
>>
>>2718493
if you like underwater exploration, then yes, search for videos of people freediving diving in lakes, ponds and see if you like it. I personally do and have my freedive equipment but the nearest beach is almost a 2h drive
>>
>>2718500
>>2718502
So I do live near a few decent sized lakes and plenty of small ones. I fish a lot and underwater stuff does appeal to me. Am I gonna drown or have a bad time if I just buy snorkeling gear and try it out or should I take a class?
>>
>>2718508
>Am I gonna drown
snorkel and goggles should be fine, not panicking is the most important, just stay calm.
also depends on how good a swimmer you are, your "lung capacity" will improve
honestly the most annoying part is getting a properly fitting wetsuit, atleast it was for me
>>
>>2718508
as >>2718512 said, you have to learn how to keep calm, lung capacity will improve over time, i dont like snorkels because near lakes we have pic rel and im afraid of accidentaly inhaling one (know they sting because i stepped on one and oh boy it hurts) so, snorkels on a beach works just fine if you want to see sealife, about a wetsuit, planning on buying one mostly because of the sun, the last time i managed to sunburn only my left leg.
>>
>>2718493
quarry diving is fun
>>
>>2718493
Depends on what you like.
enjoy underwaterlife? Go snorkel or scuba in a lake or river (get a good wet or drysuit).
Scuba diving in tropical water is easy so even if you only go once a year you're fine with a basic certification and you can rent your gear.
Freediving is also fun but don't be an idiot. Don't go into caves, practice depth training, don't hyperventilate and maybe get a buddy.
>>
>>2718493
I'm in the process of getting my Open Water cert, I think it's worth it if you like sealife. Equipment is expensive if you want to buy everything, you can contain the costs by buying the suit ("shoes" and hood included), a mask, fins and rent everything else from a diving center when you want to go underwater.
Know that you're not limited to seas/oceans, as other anons said you can go diving in lakes too, even though it's a different experience (especially for the decreased buoyancy).
Do you know anyone else with a cert/willing to get one? Diving, especially for amateurs, is way safer if you have a buddy.
>>
File: file.png (542 KB, 900x300)
542 KB
542 KB PNG
can you dive on lakes? i suppose there's much less stuff to see in lake subsurface
>>
>>2718500
> im not in a nice tropical location where the water is nice and warm, the opposite
You could try dry suit diving, cold seas have lots of fauna after all since they're more rich in oxygen
>>2721169
Yes you can, but as I said in >>2721113 you need to adapt to it, it's kinda different from ocean/sea diving. Also, never go diving in mountain lakes if you've gone diving in the sea/ocean the day before, since there's a chance you get the bends by doing it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.