[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File deleted.
What job should I work to have the time, money, and energy to go /out/?
>>
>>2719224
>Time
Anything
>Money
Anything
>Energy
Take vitamin D, and eat healthy.
>>
>>2719224
If you have to ask, you're not qualified.

>>2719225
Your innocence is endearing.
>>
>>2719224
Why don't you get an /out/ job
I get paid to camp on remote uninhabited islands and hassle wildlife for science
>>
Be an arborist, dude. Decent pay, outdoors, sick way to make money, new hobby unlocked (rec climbing)
>>
>>2719286
Tree climbing and rock climbing are two radically different things.
>>
>>2719297
Im suggesting rec tree climbing. Not as glam as rock climbing but still a good time. Take a hammock and a joint up a tree and watch a sunset
>>
>>2719301
No. That's gay.
>>
>>2719249
how? usually you need to have degrees for /out/ jobs
>>
>>2719307
Yes, I have a masters. Get a degree. Alternatively try to volunteer full time somewhere to get the skills those jobs require and they'll sometimes look past lack of degree
>>
>>2719224
>what job should I work
Don't. Find a way to live your life without giving it up to work.
>>
>>2719297
I'm pretty sure that learning how to operate arborist's equipment will be at least somewhat useful for aid climbing and rope soloing. For example, Pete Whittaker used to be a tree surgeon before he went pro, and from what I've gathered, many of his former colleagues are rock climbers too.
>>
>>2719231
I worked full time at an auto shop, 40-50 hour weeks, and still had plenty of time for campouts.
I worked full time at a warehouse, doing 4 day weeks with 11 hours days. I had plenty of time for camping.
Currently, I'm unemployed, have 2k dollars to my name, and am walking across the country.

I have never not had time to hang out with my friends, upkeep my home/car, and go camping every now and again. If you live in some sort of hellish environment where the very soul is drained from your being to the point where you can't go for a walk and sleep outside, you should probably go find somewhere else to live and work.
>>
>>2719224
Smaller chunks , more activity.
8 hrs= 1hr internet, 1hr biking, 1hr kayaking, 2hr movie, cooking, helping,
Break up your time differently
>>
Patent lawyer, PhD with rare industry experience engineering chit. >$1k/hr rate.

I work ridiculous hours. My only breaks are planning trips /out/ and then I execute on my plans. Sometimes planning brings more joy than the actual time out. Early 50's, been doing this 20+ years. Soloist and happy that way.
>>
>>2719904
S.P. (your initials)?

And yeah I imagine a lot of doctors lawyers are that way. Seen doctors with Patagonia gear and shiz in the hospital
>>
>>2719904
This actually elsounds awful.
>>
>>2719249
How?!
I can't afford no dang edumacation!
>>
>>2719224

I'm a studied industrial designer and switched to ux UI to work remote in tech.

worked out well.
I haven't even maxed out my out time.
I'm moving out to the sticks next year.

I'd say grab anything remote on wellfound.
>>
>>2719904
do you enjoy your money ?
do you spend most of it ?
do you enjoy your work ?
>>
>>2724018
what if i dont have a degree
>>
>>2724045
Then you're already screwed.
>>
Honestly
You are usually between living in the country poor but close to nature and a possible nature job.
Or you are a rich yuppie in the city that everyone hates that takes every car camping spot out of Portland every weekend for craft beers and aluminum boxes
I'd try to find a remote job or government work in country
>>
>>2719539
I envy you.
>>
>>2719224
wfh programmer in a nice location close to nature
>>
>>2724045

I'd seriously consider doing a 3 month Bootcamp and then another month of doing some example projects.

as I said ux UI is great but I think you'd have to have a predisposition for it or else your just one of the other 2536382919 guys knowing how to use figma and not much else.

for that reason I'd suggest programming even though it's a meme.

give it a try, there's a ton of good free resources out there , spend an hour or two a day on it ( 1 month ) and if you like it get some certs via a Bootcamp ( 3 month full time / 6 months if you work part-time). then proceed to build a cool small example project that you personally actually think is neat ( 1-2 months) and then apply to 10 companies on wellfound a day for a month.

the timelines are flexible but I reckon anybody with determination, some technical inclination and the ability to work on their own accord can land a 60 - 100 k starting salary job like this.

btw I'm a design lead for one of those companies and I do interviews and look at portfolios.
nobody cares about degrees and I find people who do Bootcamps to be better usually since they didn't just get pipelines into studying something because that's what you do.

tldr, 3 months Bootcamp fr fr
>>
>>2725061
Thanks for the advice but I have never been able to get into programming, it's just one of those things my brain refuses to understand.
It sucks because the things I am good at don't really make any money, or nobody would take me seriously because I didn't spend thousands of dollars for a piece of paper.
I think I might just get an entry job at some insurance company and play the corporate game
>>
>>2725269

that sounds like a reasonable assessment.
and the plan sounds good to me.

nowadays I'm 100% sure that your job doesn't have to be related to your hobbies at all. your job needs to make money and afford you the flexibility you need to live a good life.
and even though I usually hate the timeline we're on, there's a lot more flexibility in normal jobs than there was even 10 years back.

I'd say go for it and make adjustments to your plan as needed
>>
seasonal work in the winter. dirtbag in the summer. works for me

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.