[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20240413_145606.jpg (2.24 MB, 2910x2288)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
Yesterday I cycled 60km and now that the good weather is coming back I want to start doing it more often
That being said, my bike is dirty as shit and it's starting to get a lot of rust too
How do I properly clean it and remove the rust?
Do I just use fresh water and then spray it with WD-40 and scrape the rust away?
>>
>>2719524
Water, WD40, then grease all bearings and chain. WD40 is not a lubricant.
>>
>>2719524
I clean my bike maybe twice a year and use it every day.
>>
Pro tip from /n/: when the dirt layer gets thick enough, it falls of by itself.
>>
>>2719530
But how do I remove the rust it already has?

>>2719582
Lol, wish it worked like that for rust too
>>
>>2719620
Depends on how deep the rust is. Surface rust can be scrubbed away with steel wool and vinegar water, or some sort of abrasive pad, proceeded by a good greasing. If it's structural rust that goes deep into the steel you're SOL and should consider buying a new bike and taking care of it so it doesn't rust.
>>
>>2719524
>/diy
Don't bother removing rust unless you want a perfect finish. If it's the chain or bearings that are rusting, replace them, and remember to grease them from now on.
If it's anything else, get some boiled linseed oil and paint thinner, mix them 1:1, remove the loose rust with a wire brush (a handheld one, not a ppowertool) and then soak the remaining solid rust in the linseed mixture to passivate it. Once that's dry, you can paint over it with most paints and it won't rust again. Does much less damage than "rust converters" (which are acids, and usually make it rust even more) and is not as much of a pain as grinding down to clean metal is.

For regular cleaning, hose it down with water, maybe scrub with a soft brush or sponge, let it dry, then regrease any open bearings you might have and lubricate the chain.

Also, stay away from WD 40. That shit is way to thin to protect against rust or grease properly. The only thing is good for is getting into narrow cracks when you're too lazy and / or stupid to disassemble something and can't heat it up enough for proper grease to flow in. If for some reason you can't use paint, linseed oil or anything else that turns solid, you want a grease jelly that's as thick as possible or a wax. Thin oils won't last past the next rain.
>>
>>2719524
if it were me. I'd just invest in a new rugged chain all together. Yours looks fine but over time more friction and corrosion = higher chance of it snapping and you don't want that shit to happen on a bike trip in the middle of nowhere.

As for the hubs spray with regular WD40 and just wipe off what you can with a rag (if the wheel rocks around left and right while it's on it means you've lost some bearings in the hub.) Then I usually use white lithium grease, WD40 also sells this.

Also I'd recommend getting thorough and taking off the cranks and getting in there to clean and regrease, that's where pretty much all of the dirt and grease will be and you'll wanna clean that up. Usually if there's more than 2 balls missing in those bearings you should probably replace them with a new set.

You can probably scrub off the surface rust with a ball of aluminum foil, water and a rag as for preventing future rust, fuck idk something will be in the same aisle as your WD40.

Basically everything anon said here except the WD40 part - the white lithium grease has been tried and true to me for years for bike maintenance.

>>2719659
>>
>>2719524
Precisas de um tutorial para lavar a bike oh morcão?
>>
>>2719620
>wish it worked like that for rust too
It kinda does.
>>
>>2719694
Como é que sabes que sou tuga seu cão?
>>
>>2719524
Managing rust is most important for the chain, look up methods to clean it on youtube and find a specific lubricant for it that suits what you want, if you're riding in dry conditions probably a dry lubricant, if you drive in the rain a lot or through water then probably a wet one.
For all the bearings on your bike you want a non-drying lubricant spray, the problem with WD-40 is is dries out really quick in an outdoor setting so it's only useful as a cleaner. I use stuff called Inox, a lanolin based lubricant rated for outdoors, I can spray it on rusty bolts and the rust is pretty much gone in a few weeks even without bothering to clean it up, I don't know if it's available outside Australia though.
>>
>>2719726
Estudasses.
>>
>>2719845
Diz lá, agora estou curioso
>>
>>2719850
Pelo pavimento.
>>
Try to keep your bike dry when you're not riding it; store it in the apartment/house/garage, not outside in the rain. Don't spray water directly into the hubs or bottom bracket. Don't wash the bike if it won't dry quickly. Learn how to maintain your bike by joining bike forums and watching videos -- there's way too much to learn by posting here.
>>
>>2719947
Also, your bike isn't dirty as shit. It doesn't need anything other than the stanchions wiped, the rims wiped (where the brake pads contact), and the chain wiped and lubed. This is standard after-ride maintenance stuff. I guarantee there's other things you should be spending your time on than cleaning your bike... Stuff like researching which bottom bracket you'll need to buy in six months, or disassembling the rear hub and cleaning and lubing the bearings and freewheel. You'll also need to learn how to true wheels. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but cheap bikes aren't meant to last more than a few months of riding, and expensive bikes will destroy your bank account. There isn't middle ground at this point, it's just how the bike industry is. I'd also recommend taking up archery if you really want a first hand look at an industry that shits all over its customers.
>>
>>2719524
I was cleaning my bike with a car washer until both hubs had rusted bearings in them

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.