[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (896 KB, 600x800)
896 KB
896 KB PNG
Do you think a relative beginner could accomplish this? The longest I've ever hiked in a single day was six miles in four hours while hauling 30+ pounds with less than optimal backpacking gear (a duffel bag and a daypack). To hike the Batona Trail in three days would take about 18 mile days, but from what I can tell it's mostly flat ground. I also have a proper pack to carry everything in now, too; plus it should be lighter with some of my new gear and choice of gear to bring. Those who have hiked the Batona, what was your experience like and do you think it's a good start for someone's first multi-day backpacking trip?
>>
>>2719736
try not to get raped by grizzly bear
>>
>>2719802
There are no grizzlies nearby the Batona Trail
>>
>>2719802
Wrong part of the US, übergoofy.
>>
>>2719736
I’ve never done it.

>is it possible?
Dumb metric. You might be able to do it, but will it be enjoyable? Why are you going?

>distance
18 miles a day is tough. When you read stuff online about long distance hikers doing 20+ mile days is often out of necessity. Being only a three day hike complicates things; the first few days of any hike are always harder, even after resupplying on longer hikes. It’s just the way it is.

Blisters can become an issue as well. If you aren’t running or hiking very often for exercise, you have a very high risk of fucking up your feet at high mileages. A gym routine, cardio machines, healthy diet, and youth won’t help you there; you need to spend time walking (or running).

>flat
“Mostly flat” is doubtful. Very often you’ll have PUD’s that you don’t see on an elevation profile (unless it’s a literal road). That’s not always the case, but it’s not uncommon
>>
>>2719847
No it's pretty much flat. The highest hill that part of Jersey is like, 100ft.

I would agree that blisters and conditioning would be the most significant issues. You'll be cruising on flats; rn there's like 12 hrs of daylight and 3mph is not hard so 18mina day isn't an issue. There are required campsites (heavy fire danger, safety issue for evac) and some dry areas though so you may not be doing exactly 18mi each day. Plot out your day to day and see how that looks.
>>
>>2719736
The Batona Trail has an elevation change of like 5 feet and there's not a single rock to be found. You barely even have to hustle to do it in 2 days. Problem is, you've got to reserve a different camp spot each night and there are effectively no walk-ins so you have to stick to your plan. Since it's all pine barrens there aren't really any spots to boondock either. Overall it's a pretty shit trail.

Watch out for chiggers.
>>
>>2719998
I hate chiggers. I wish they'd go back where they came from!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.